It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

29% of Americans say religion 'out of date'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Interesting post, though there are a few things that are not considred that has mentioned:
1) If you go back to the baby boomers and their parents, religion was very important in their lives. It was not something to hide from or even look in disgust. Society on a whole, the nature of the individual was much better, children were not killing each other. Children and people, in general were minding their manners. Families stayed together, and extended families were closer. People in authorities, on the whole did not cheat to each other in business. It was the nature of religion to teach morals and ethics, when your neighbor was down, the community would come together to help the family that was down. In my life time I have seen where communities changed, from trusting each other to distrust and fear. Gone are the days of where a person did not fear leaving their doors and windows unlocked, you knew all of your neighbors and the community did everything together. There was no question during the holiday season as to the merriment and charity of the season.
2) I believe that the other problem of religion and its decline today is that the texts do not cover many of the modern day problems. Issues that were never thought of arrise and none of the texts do not address. And the language of the churches do not often address the hypocrasy of people, such as gangs using religious symbols, and comitting crimes.
I think it is a sad state of affairs when churches have to have security gates and bars on its doors and windows, instead of being places of comfort, or the term of compassion has become something of the past.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Some things are better and some things are worse since the generation you're talking about.

Yeah, families were closer, and that was good. And strangers were friendlier and trusted each other more (for better or worse really, there were still serial killers). But racism was also more rampant, especially pre-Civil Rights movement obviously, as was homophobia, still considered a disease in those days.

I also think a lot of the trust issues are stemming more from the purchasing power of the dollar declining, thus effectively greatly increasing poverty and hard times in populated areas, rising populations, and the increased police response to that on the over-all population, rather than religion declining.

All in all I would much rather be alive today personally. Especially with technology like the internet, where I can access an insane amount of information using Google alone, and I think that more than anything is really revolutionizing society today. I don't think most people realize how profoundly the sudden influx of mass information to millions of individuals has changed Western countries, and it is ongoing.

[edit on 28-12-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
when did this thread become a gathering for christians to express how important their religion is? haven't you realised that the reason we have medicine and technology is because we stopped being so religious?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ohsnaptruth

How do you figure? Do you even realize that we wouldn't have the records and linkage with the past we do if it weren't for priests as scribes gathering and preserving information in church libraries? Where do you think the basis for medicine and technology came from, aliens?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ohsnaptruth

this site is not a gathering place for Christians only we have people from all faiths and walks of life here -you need to understand that Christianity is the faith that we were brought up in and these are the words that we were taught to believe in -please check and compare your faith to ours and your language to ours as your books probably say the same thing within ;the difference is our language`s ;due the the differences please enlighten us with the wisdom of your faith and language they say that music is the universal language as we all seem to understand one an others music and yet our own peoples language`s hold us back .

but i agree with the leaps and bounds that have come about in both medicine and teck.-and yet we are still trying to find better ways to kill our species and plant off to the point of our own extinction .the only problem is that corporate greed comes before all other things even peoples health if you can not afford to pay their overinflated prices i guess you go without .

how many more have to die all for the great GOD of money -it is a world wide problem and it can never be fixed as the system is broke and there no longer is a bandaid to patch and repair it .

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join