It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

29% of Americans say religion 'out of date'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

29% of Americans say religion 'out of date'

rawstory.com

A Gallup poll of Americans' attitudes towards religion released on Christmas Eve found significant recent increases in those responding either that they have no religious preference, that religion is not very important in their lives, or that they believe religion "is largely old-fashioned or out of date."

Only 78% of Americans now identify as Christian, while 22% describe their religious preference as either "other" or "none."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Religion plays a big part is most peoples lives. Even if you do not subscribe to a religion, it does drive how people will run society. According to this pole, the people who subscribe to a religion is suppose to be on the decline. If this is correct, then there could be some change on the horizon for society in the U.S. The will be a census in 2010, that will also provide up to date information.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Religions will vanish from the human experience, but it's going to take time. Many humans still need the spiritual support, and it's also part of their experience. The reasons why the religions exist in the first place should be studied. We will, in time, know why they have been brought into the human experience, and some of the answers will surprise many.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lagenese

Lagenese
Thanks for posting.
I don't think I would say some day all religion will be gone. Be it in one way shape or form I think there will something around akin to what religion is now. As you can tell though, I do think all things will change.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Yep! they surly got that right I believe!

We need updated religion 2.0!

I wonder what that would be?

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Chevalerous
Well when we get religion two point zero, as you put it, I suspect it will come about the same way as all the other religions have. So bloak will put a few words together, call it holy, and presto, we have a new religion, or branch of religion.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
oh so that's why we had bush for two terms, most voters being christian would most likely vote for a fellow christian no matter how much of an obvious hypocrite they are. I'm i out of line with this assumption? Definitely off topic... so i will say this. I see the poll as a good sign, that we are evolving, little by little free thinking will replace mindless dogma... and all of humanity will benefit from this transition.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by The Blind Eye

No offence my friend, but I really don't believe that Bush was an honest Christian "per se"

I think he played on that roll, and was using it for the agenda!

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
===just shows how false religon fools the masses----here in the end times the truth will be known to all-- even the athiests--did you read the bible--cover to cover?? --then dont comment please --it would be as if i commented on fussion--

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
"Only 78% identify themselves as Christian"??? Did I read that right? If I'm not mistaken, that represents a VAST MAJORITY of Americans! Just goes to show you, we are STILL a Christian nation tolerant of all religions! I'm not too owrried though - the other 29% are about to find out how terribly wrong they are!

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Only 78%...wow, after the influx of non christians, the secular impact of public education, the doctrine of "separation of church and state", and the cultural impact of such high browed entertainment as MTV, we can still claim 78% as Christian? I am impressed.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Add that to the 22% of Christians that believe in reincarnation and I would say that the number of Christians in America has been split in half.
pewforum.org...

I say this because you cannot be a Christian and believe in reincarnation (going to catch some grief over this from some but who cares).

The American Christian is fading.

Raist

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
I'm not too owrried though - the other 29% are about to find out how terribly wrong they are!

Yeah, all us non-religious types heard the same thing when Copernicus was saying the Earth revolved around the Sun, and you see who came out on top with that one... Even though Copernicus died, and entire generations died, before people were able to come forward with unclouded minds.

Someone said they wonder what religion 2.0 will be like.

It will be spirituality WITHOUT having to say "that's wrong; you're wrong; these people are wrong; let's kill them/let's imprison them/they're going to hell, screw them."

In other words, something akin to pure love and sympathy while retaining philosophy, and spiritual practices... Just throw out all the "us vs. them" and eternal damnation stuff already. We've been fed the "boogey man" line from so many people for so long, it's time we just cast the whole BS off and recognize it as the control mechanism that it is. True spirituality is empowering, enlightening, and endless.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Religion is an outdated system of control and as it fades away from the majority to the minority, some other form of control will take its place or people will become self aware and not use religion as a crutch anymore. The bible is the best piece of fiction I ever read right after the Lord of the Rings.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
So the two comments above that referenced the 78% statistic had a different perspective from what I'm about to say:

That's a lot. That's huge. For a country that is supposed to be "diverse" and "varied," that means that 78% of this country believes in the same religion (generally). Religion is actually very personal and open to individual interpretation. How many of this 78% actually believes what they say they do, and how many are just carbon copies of their parents' beliefs and their culture?

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

In other words, something akin to pure love and sympathy while retaining philosophy, and spiritual practices... Just throw out all the "us vs. them" and eternal damnation stuff already. We've been fed the "boogey man" line from so many people for so long, it's time we just cast the whole BS off and recognize it as the control mechanism that it is. True spirituality is empowering, enlightening, and endless.

I rather think the next religion will also be used for control. I just don't see that part going away. It has been done that way for thousands of years and I just don't think its going to change.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Blind Eye
oh so that's why we had bush for two terms, most voters being christian would most likely vote for a fellow christian no matter how much of an obvious hypocrite they are.

Who voted for Obama?

Non-Christians?

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I still find it very disturbing that 78% of Americans continue to believe in the medieval superstitions of religion. It is so important that mankind moves on (and away) from the ritual, the uniform, the creed, and the dogma of religions, and moves into the consciousness-expanding cognition of genuine altruistic spirituality.

We must stop indoctrinating infants with the religious claptrap, just so that religion maintains a constant supply and growth of pre-conditioned acolytes, robbed and conned of their individuality and self-awareness of their self-responsibility.

We all impact upon others in many ways, through thought, talk, actions and non-actions, each separately carrying their own consequential ripples, and in combination, more perversely impactful. True spirituality consists of having gnosis of the ripples we each emanate as individuals, and genuinely caring how those ripples affect others. All religions are spiritual aparthieds without exception, and it is long overdue for us to acknowledge this truth, by changing within ourselves individually how we allow religion to affect us, we can change the society we live in.

I'm sure that most of you will know the 'Parable of the Good Samaritain', and the 'Sermon on the Mount'. If you followed the percepts and precepts within the parable and the sermon with all heart and conscience, you would in fact be acting against the ritual, creed and dogma of religion, because both the parable and the sermon advocate a genuine altruistic care to one and all, and not just to others whom follow the same faith.

When conscience and altruism rule people's behaviour, from such rule peace around the world will gain lasting foundations, and societies will change beyond all current recognition. We must not look to others to change first, but look to our individual selves to make the change based upon our own unique personal and private life experience. Remove indoctrination, persecution, oppression, suffering, globalised greed and avarice from religions, and you go some way to becoming an expression of true spirituality. It is irreligious, apolitical, devoid of ritual, uniform, creed and dogma. It is conscience and altruism freely expressed towards others...and when it is expressed, then we will live in a world of brotherhood. Then, will the 'meek inherit the world'!

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
"Only 78% identify themselves as Christian"??? Did I read that right? If I'm not mistaken, that represents a VAST MAJORITY of Americans! Just goes to show you, we are STILL a Christian nation tolerant of all religions! I'm not too owrried though - the other 29% are about to find out how terribly wrong they are!

Are you threatening me? You last sentence is quite ominous and harsh. I'm sorry you wish to cast judgment upon me and others who do not believe the same thing you believe in.

What makes you so certain that you and your religion of choice are correct. Maybe you were just born in the wrong country. Someone elses god is disappointed in you and is certain that you are going to find out how terribly wrong you are.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
When people are unhappy, instead of changing their lives, or working for a better world, they turn to religion for false comfort.

The sooner it's gone, the better.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join