It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sacked for offering a prayer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I'm a newer christian and I still make mistakes.One mistake, is letting
others know that my foe list is my prayer list.I should have kept that
to myself.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

I loved your freudian slip in typing prey instead of pray.I see that you're
back.I also like that you don't care if others pray for you.Nothing wrong
with a little spiritual insurance as long as you're not paying the premiums.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

We are duty bound to pray for the lost.No one will ever manage just fine without prayer.There will be peace and safety before sudden destruction!

It is this sort of statement that pisses people off, the mother in question is quite adamant the her child is not lost.

If you believe someone is lost that is your right and I will defend your right to believe what you wish but don't come calling insisting that people are lost.

If you are correct in your belief then a simply prayer in the privacy of your own mind and space will suffice, why is that not acceptable to you ?

If the individual teacher in question was certain in her belief that her prayer would have an effect then she had no need to even have a discussion with the parent.

If the prayers don't work without some form of interaction between the xtian and the victim then why on earth do xtians bother praying for something or someone not in their immediate vicinity.

The excuses being made for this teachers' appalling behavior are not new and in no way justify it.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I am on mammabeths "prayer" list.
It brings her comfort to do a thing like prayer for me, and it comforts me that she finds some comfort in that.
No harm no foul.
It goes both ways wether you dont like what religion teaches or you do your allowed to do what you want within your own head. God gave us that much.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Aggie Man

I'm a newer christian and I still make mistakes.One mistake, is letting
others know that my foe list is my prayer list.I should have kept that
to myself.

Well this sort of scenario is yet another point of contention that pisses me off. Many xtians go about the shop claiming this or that but when their feet are put to the fire we find they really have little understanding of what on earth their beliefs are all about.

There is absolutely nothing worse than someone shouting the virtues of the Kirby cleaner having just been recruited as a sales rep.

It is even worse when these sort of people come to our homes move all the furniture but have never read the instruction manual for their wonderful gizzmo.

Why on earth do people choose to go around praying when there is absolutely zero proof that it works ? It is especially insulting to individual intelligence when the would be miracle worker or exorcist is making a claim based upon belief and not upon actually evidence.

Don't try and tell me that my car is crap if you've never even been under the hood of a car.

And by they Mamabeth "Prey" was a pun not a Freudian slip lol

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

In her defence there is zero proof prayer doesnt work?

I think your missing the point of prayer, prayer is not a time to wish ill will on others. Its a time for good positive thoughts, if a person choose to put good concious thoughts into THEIR OWN world, what harm does that do to you?
Your hatred for something that doesnt affect your life is weird, i can tell you your cars crap without looking under the hood its called an opinion. Juts as you have chosen to express yours others are privy to the same right. Whether it insults or "pisses" you off or not.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

.I see that you're back.I also like that you don't care if others pray for you.Nothing wrong with a little spiritual insurance as long as you're not paying the premiums.

No insurance sought mamabeth is simply have no objection to people doing what the hell they like in their own mind and I find pascals wager totally objectionable.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

In her defence there is zero proof prayer doesnt work?

This type of retarded non observation often comes up in the god discussions .
There is no evidence that fairies don't have sex in my refrigerator thus one can only conclude that they are likely to do so because some people believe they do.

This type of contemptible nonsense is what the people who sacked the teacher are having to deal with, what is scary is that children are involved who are far to young and critically unaware to challenge delusional beliefs.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Okay?
So what your saying is that your "proof" is some how more tangible why? What you said can be said back at you and still hold valid, can it not?
Do i have proof prayers work? Nope not me
Do you have proof they dont? Nope

So what makes you more right?
Your not understanding the concept of an opinion in some poeples opinions yes prayer works. Way to point out the completely obvious that un-testable, un-provable theories cant be proven. Thats why people reffer to these events in faith. Faith is a trust in the unproven.
I get your point that your pissed off because people use generalities when contradicting what your saying, but your using the same ammo you just dont see it.
Do you believe in quantum mechanics? To you believe in theoretical physics? These are areas of science that are also taken on faith as most are unproven un-testable. Both science and religion take various forms of faith.
Can you please make a point with your comments as opposed to childish retoric?

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I really liked the part of fairies having sex in your refrigerator,no proof
of course.You are really a funny guy and I bet you're cute when you're
angry!

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

"what is scary is that children are involved who are far to young and critically unaware to challenge delusional beliefs. "

No what is scary is that you dont want kids to believe in anything, you want them to be exposed to the horrors of the world in the crib.
the true basis of religion is the teachings of moral values passed down through generations because those passing them view them as the correct moral values for THEIR life.
Dont condemn a good practice because it occasionally gets hijacked by nut jobs.
Kids are supposed to believe in things that may or may not be real, it is only with more knowledge they can make their own informed decision.

Why dont people past 25 believe in Santa but children do? Because they dont posses enough logic to see the flaws.

Why do people past 25 believe in God and Christ? Because they can see the validity in their own logic and truths.

Let them come to whichever conclusion they do, you cant educate only one side of an argument. In that way your no worse than what your mad at .

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
She may have discussed her beliefs before offering prayer, but did she try to "convert" them? Was she trying to tell them which god to pray to? It sure doesn't sound like it. It sounds more like she was asking them if they wanted her to pray on their behalf. When refused, did she still try to press the issue? It doesn't sound like that either.

We don't know the answer to these questions. So you can't really say "it sounds like" this or that happened without knowing all of the facts. That's purely your speculation. What we DO know is that unwanted religious advances were made in an otherwise professional setting.

It seems anymore that "good intentions" not only pave the road to hell, but may also lead to a jail sentence, if events like these keep going in the same direction.

And if the overly-friendly boss who consistently complimented his female employees on their perfume or dress claimed he only had "good intentions"? It doesn't matter what the intentions are. In a professional environment, unwanted, personal behavior is many times unwelcome and should be kept to one's self. Just to be safe.

You seem to have missed the point, in both linked articles, that the nurse & the teacher did ask first...That's what triggered the persecution.

Persecution!
Bah! If the nurse and teacher want to pray, let them pray. But shut up about it! Leave other people out of it.

It looks to me that they try to gain permission first so as to try avoiding making offense...

No one can stop them from praying. If they want to pray, they don't NEED permission! Take my word for it. If you ASK about prayer, you're bringing up the subject. Someone may be offended. If you go pray in the privacy of your home, no one is going to know and therefore CANNOT be offended.

One of the NWO's goals is to wipe out all patriotism & all religion

Sometimes I think that may be best.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hack28

No what is scary is that you don't want kids to believe in anything...

No, what's scary is filling a child's head with preconceived notions of what to put faith/believe in. As opposed to allowing the mind to mature and develop it's own beliefs about life and the meaning thereof.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

No, what's scary is filling a child's head with preconceived notions of what to put faith/believe in. As opposed to allowing the mind to mature and develop it's own beliefs about life and the meaning thereof.

That was my point, i may not have said it as well so thankyou for putting it better but what you said was my exact point.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Lunacy strikes humanity once again. It's impossible to be shocked anymore.

She was not 'forcing her beliefs down their throat' as others implied. She didn't put the patient on a rack and make them kiss the cross. It's a simple request if they'd like prayer.

No, she doesn't NEED permission and I'm the type to just do it without telling the person but being fired for it or being accused of violating some 'freedom from religion' guideline is pretty ridiculous. On the other hand, I've come to expect it from the phobics.

With the exception of Christians, the group that has most often offered to perform some sort of action on my behalf when I'm sick or having a crisis is pagans. When they say, 'Hey. I'm going to burn a candle for you [or some other ritual],' I generally don't say anything because I know they're just being nice. If they ask 'Hey. Can I burn a candle for you?' then I'll let them know it's unnecessary and I don't believe in that. I wouldn't try to get them fired or freak out and start calling them names like 'Heathen.' I know according to their beliefs, they were just being nice. Not preachy or trying to offend me.

What a bunch of weirdos. I wonder how they make it through the day sometimes. It must suck going through life being so scared all the time.

[edit on 12/21/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

I shudder to think of you and likeminded people having children. Parents these days are having McDonald's and computer games raise their kids, then to think on top of that they are too selfish or lazy to pay attention to the child's spiritual needs. Thank God I can look back on the good old days. What will the children of today look back on? Nothing.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I have a problem when the religious make assumptions. They assume people/children will always see their religious acts the way they are intended. This is not always the case religious ceremonies and scripture can be scary to children and even sacrilegious to those with different beliefs. Keep your practices private or around those who appreciate & understand.

My husband is Serbian Orthodox. I am Native American/Mexican American. I went to many kinds of Churches but never belonged to one. I was given enough instruction in the Serbian Orthodox church to marry my husband but that was it. Needless to say they didn't like this "squaw woman" marrying one of their own.

Anyway my husband was in the hospital with a serious head injury. I was 8 months pregnant. His surgery was lengthy but went well. The nurses/doctors insisted I go home. I came back the next morning and there's the priest waving incense and chanting in Serbian around the bed. My husband's roommate had this freaked out look on his face my hubby is motionless/drugged. That's it I figure he's dead this is last rites. That's the only time I ever thought priest would be in a hospital performing a ceremony. No it seems my mother-law had decided to send the priest over to pray for my husbands recovery. She could have told me. You can't imagine how I felt standing there pregnant as I was seeing all this play out.

Just an assumption of the religious what's the harm? We all are expected to instantly know about the complex religious dogma of others. The goodness of their acts should be apparent to everyone. It was not. The nurses were confused so was the roommate. I almost fainted and had to sit down. My husband's family thought my reaction was childlike showing my ignorance. Yet not one of them ever considered me worth teaching. They all spoke Serbian around me I had no clue. As far as religious instruction I just did what they told me to do. It was obvious they considered me lost but they had set their sights on my children so I had to go through the motions. They didn't get our kids.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
she could have said the prayers for the student and kept her mouth shut about it.

now she doesnt have a job because of that same mouth.

obviously shes not a very learned teacher, because shes not the first to get fired for doing this. perhaps its for the best.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Hey, but slap a freaking menorah up on the WH lawn and it's all good!
I'm sick and tired of the Jews, the zionists, the liberals and all the other dumbasses that preach "Diversity" and hypocritically oppose it whenever a Christian is involved. My Lord, My God - I patiently await the Day of Reckoning when we can rid Your Kingdom of all of these stupid mouth-breathers!

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlesUTP
she could have said the prayers for the student and kept her mouth shut about it.

now she doesnt have a job because of that same mouth.

obviously shes not a very learned teacher, because shes not the first to get fired for doing this. perhaps its for the best.

Maybe now she will focus prayer on herself....and her pursuit of a new job.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join