It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Troy really exist?...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
What's your opinion on it? did Troy even exist...and if so did the Trojan War even happen? what's your opinion on the matter?

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by DarthCorkus]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Ofcourse Troy existed!!!

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
See, there's this thing called Google... and if you bothered to do a little research, you'd find what your looking for. This isn't conspiracy, it's archeology.

1. Troy did exist, and the Acheans flattened it.

2. The ruins are in Asia Minor, in Turkey methinks. I can't remember.

3. The Trojan war was vastly embellished.

End of story.

DE

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
There's proof that Troy existed everywhere, and like DE said you should search on google.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Troy was a Greek colony on the west coast of Turkey, from ~1250 BC till, i'd guess about ~1000 BC. It was the first great archaeological excavation to be based solely on classical literature. A German businessman named Schliemann located it by taking Homer as literally as possible.

Home embellished, and has been embellished, quite a bit. There was certaintly an invasion by the homeland that ruined the place. It was not anything like a modern city in terms of size or population, definitely existed. Several of the personages actually bore the names of Homer's story, but probably had litttle resemblance otherwise to their characters in literature. (Kind of like Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar")

There. And you'll get much more & precise details off the net. so go to it, bub.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
yes but there was also a documentry on the television saying none of the stuff was proven, they said a load of stuff about the people who said they had descovered troy and also said it was extremely highly unlikely that anyone would go to war for the love of a women in those times and also...that troy was no stronghold it had not area to put a gate, no proof of a gate even being there it was open, there were no towers for defense found or anything...and also what happened to it was it was attacked by Hittites (sp?) who raided and took all it's supplies...

and archaeologists say there's no written proof that the trojan war ever happened

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
According to legend, the chain of events that led to the Trojan War started at a royal wedding. Peleus, king of the Myrmidons (a race of people created from ants!), was marrying a sea nymph named Thetis. Many gods attended the wedding, but Eris, daughter of Zeus, king of the gods, wasn't invited because she was the goddess of discord and bound to cause trouble :

www.royalty.nu...

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Umm.. what documentary have you been watching!?!!?!? (no offense) Troy really existed and was like a trade center of the ancient world. They REALLY went to war5 because they REALLY just wanted Troy's land... and also because the Greeks oppsedes over myths...

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
But really...the other thing is though...the fact of Achilles and the other guy (I forget his name) meeting in combat...this is off the actual city this is more onto the war itself...in my opinion I simply think Achilles was heavily armoured and the only weak armour was at his ankles/legs that was the only reason people thought he was immortal.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Great site Nans!!!
I added it to my favirotes...lol, and learned a lot. So there's your anwser DarthCorkus, Troy existed, or are you still not convinced....?

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
yes, I'm convinced on the troy existed but now I'm more onto the hero's of the battle Achilles and the other guy (WHO'S NAME I STILL CAN'T REMEMBER!)

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Is it Patroclus? Did you read the link nans gave you?

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
no! Hector that's the guy...the one who fought and killed Achilles

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Yeah the Trojan warrior. Achilles was wounded in the heel (remember this is fake dont get too involved in this...)

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by AD5673]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
(yeah I know lol I'm not totaly stupid *coughs* >.>)

Yeah that was him, I think the film (original not new) an archer from the top of the troy walls and hit his heel making him "mortal" and Hector ran him through.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
You see, this si why it's called legend.

You're not supposed to think of it as fact. Homer's story is, as Strangecraft said,, jsut that- a story based on actual events. The trojan war happened, but probably not involving half the crap in the Illiad. Put it like this- we'll probably never know.

If you want to keep looking, go ahead. But do it on google.

[EDIT: The archer was Paris. Now go pick up the Illiad, and do some reading. ]

DE

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by DeusEx]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
yeah that's all well and true but my point is was hector or achilles ever alive, I mean I know more then likely Achilles was never immortal and only had an ankle shot weakness but they could of still been the champions of both armies nevertheless.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Are you saying they might have existed? I really doubt it. Mabey like .00000000001% they did or maybe 0% at all. lol

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
well you never know I mean...all armies had a champion most of the times just think of Hannibal...he was the leader and the champion of is army...(and also almost destroyed the roman empire
)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join