It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate passes $1.1. trillion spending bill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

Yea the key word in that is "seem".

Seriously though, you should read that article I posted a few back from the New York Times, very eye opening. It almost suggests that one of Obama's economic advisers is against what he is doing.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
It says

The 1,000-plus-page bill brings together six of the 12 annual spending bills that Congress had been unable to pass separately even though the new fiscal year began Oct. 1 because of partisan roadblocks.

It includes $447 billion in operating budgets with about $650 billion in mandatory payments for federal benefit programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, which provide health care benefits to the elderly, disabled and poor, as well as an estimated $3.9 billion for more than 5,000 home-state projects sought by individual lawmakers in both parties.

Ok I"ll help.

So this is somewhat good, however a bit redundant since Health Care reform is just around the corner, AND that this money will spend months in months in Limbo awaiting acquisition.

The bill increases spending by an average of about 10 percent to programs under immediate control of Congress, blending increases for veterans' programs, the NASA space agency and the FBI with a pay raise for federal workers and help for car dealers.

Why should these people get a raise? They already make above the 40K a year mark, there are some people who attempt to raise a family on 20K.

The veterans programs sure, but again that would be covered in Healthcare. The car dealerships should rise and fall by their own measures.

But the second-ranking Senate Democrat, Dick Durbin of Illinois, said the measure restores money for programs cut under former President George W. Bush such as popular grant programs for local police departments to purchase equipment and put more officers on the beat.

Still this is useless for the moment. It's not something that is NEEDED.

The legislation also:

* Includes an improved binding arbitration process to challenge the decision by General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC to close more than 2,000 dealerships.
* Renews a federal loan guarantee program for steel companies.
* Permits detainees held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to be transferred to the U.S. for trial, but not to be released.
* Calls for federal worker pay increases averaging 2 percent.

Ok, so the whole car dealership, again, why are we supporting these folk? They are a business and if they messed up they should go out of business.

Guantanmo bay, they should be our least concern at the moment. And again the federal worker makes way above the national average.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

If you can't see what is wrong with this then nothing I can post now will help you.

You are too far gone to bring back to common sense.

If you are broke and have far less income you don't increase your spending. That kind of debt can ruin you.

But I suppose when you are government, spending has no limits as long as you have the power to tax the hell out of everything and everyone.

This is insane... And you are okay with this?

If so, please don't bitch when the consequences from all of this massive deficit spending have real impact on your life in the future.

It was the right thing to do.

Save the government, damn the people and the economy!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

1. Health Care will not affect the Medic aid and Medicare in any way. These two will continue like usual.

2. If a binding arbitration process is not included GM motors will close down 2000 dealerships thus more job losses.

3. So you mean don't close Guantanamo Bay and let the torture policy continue? I have read several members here lash out at Obama for not closing Guantanamo.

4. "federal worker makes way above the national average. " Any source or citation to state that? Also who according to you is a federal worker?

reply to post by Walkswithfish

C'mon all I asked was what do you think is wrong in the bill and should have been excluded along with reasons for it and proposal or any alternate way. But twice now you have not replied on the topic you have started this thread on and instead go on with the usual Obama bashing rhetoric. Atleast tell your version why you think it is wrong, what is wrong and how to improve it? or is it that or you just are not aware of what the article actually states and just saw the heading and thought to make a thread on ATS for more Obama bashing?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
From another source...

www.google.com...

Right after the vote Sunday, the Senate planned to return to legislation to overhaul the health care system, an issue that Democrats hope to reach consensus on in the final days of this year.

In the coming week, Congress may try to take a defense spending bill and attach a measure that would raise the $12.1 trillion debt ceiling and initiate new spending and tax cut efforts to stimulate jobs.

Attach a measure to a defense bill that would raise the TWELVE TRILLION ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLAR debt ceiling.

I suppose war is a good thing after all.

Everything is an opportunity for them to defraud the taxpayers more.

And this final insult...

"We are in a very special kind of economic situation, and frankly, jobs have to be the top priority, and every bill is going to be a jobs bill going forward," Obama's top economic adviser, Larry Summers, said on ABC's "This Week."

Jobs are their top priority?

Do they honestly believe we are that goddamned stupid?

How many jobs have been "created or saved" so far by their already spent trillions?

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
this is just getting ridiculous, wait for February that's when i think the economy will crash.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Dave157

Well it will be March when the Feb. numbers come out. Jan. should be a wash due to gift cards and the like. But come March actually it will a few months later when the revisions come out we will know the true state of the economy.

I think I'm going to apply for a pel-grant and go back to school, finding a job right now is extremely difficult.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

I think I'm going to apply for a pel-grant and go back to school, finding a job right now is extremely difficult.

You should also consider trying to get a good government job now... The private sector is dying fast, but with this kind of government spending and growing government... That is where the opportunity is now. Go for it wile you can.

Be advised, some of these government opportunities may be short lived if a new government is elected and takes a more fiscally responsible course.

Either way it will take decades already to pay off the national debt and deficit spending.

It will hurt for quite a while now, no matter what happens.

Getting back to where we should be will be far harder than it was for these liberal tax and spend policies to get us here.

One day you can tell your children and grand children stories about the lives we enjoyed before it was all destroyed... And maybe far into their future they will find a way back.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Great now I have to go buy insurance...which I cannot afford.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
Great now I have to go buy insurance...which I cannot afford.

Not yet... They get back to health care reform on Monday.

You'll know when they pass that monster for sure.

This spending bill was only a thousand pages... Health care bill is about two thousand pages... And will likely cost even more through cleverly hidden taxes, laws and tax code revisions. some of which will not be implemented until 2013... conveniently.

Its all good for a while, may as well spend all of your money now before it is devalued, inflated and taken from you.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Government job is out of the question, I went and tried to be census taker and my background check popped. So that it for government work. Even though I wasn't convicted and the charges were dropped it still shows up when the government is running a background check.

I should be able to finish my studies within 3 years I already have a Business degree so we will see.

I hear you about a more fiscally responsible government though, all thought at this point I don't think it is in our future barring a civil war/revolution and the fiscally responsible side won.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Oh brother............as if everything wrong with this country was caused by one person and happened under 8 years. It started WAY before that. You can crap on Bush all you want, please do as I hated the man, but the direction America is headed and has been headed for decades was hardly his fault.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
A final thought from me...

If our government keeps spending like there is no tomorrow, then it is completely safe to assume that they KNOW there isn't.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

rofl

second line.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I'm now impressed... at least you have a sense of humor.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

"They spent $75 billion on mortgage relief, but come on — look at how much they gave Wall Street," says a leading Democratic strategist.

Neil Barofsky, the inspector general charged with overseeing TARP, estimates that the total cost of the Wall Street bailouts could eventually reach $23.7 trillion. And while the government continues to dole out big money to big banks, Obama and his team of Rubinites have done almost nothing to reform the warped financial system responsible for imploding the global economy in the first place.

Rolling Stone article

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Yep it is definitely amusing.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I still find it amazing they throw around the word trillion like they used to use a million. OMG that is alot of money, and as always no way to track even most of it.............

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Why bother tracking Fiat money? Just another notch towards serfdom / feudalism.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Republicans decried what they called out-of control spending and pointed to an estimated $3.9 billion in the bill for more than 5,000 local projects sought by individual lawmakers from both parties.
source is the OP's original

This is another example of the hypocrisy of both parties. Those who voted against the bill assisted in the theft by including earmarks. That really torques me off. If they were honestly opposed to the bill, they should have removed their earmarks.

...about $650 billion in mandatory payments for federal benefit programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, which provide health care benefits to the elderly, disabled and poor.
Source is the OP's original

Wow! Just WOW! So, they put in $650 billion, while planning to vote for the health care bill, which includes the following:

Unflinching on a critical first test, Senate Democrats closed ranks Thursday behind $460 billion in politically risky Medicare cuts at the heart of health care legislation...
www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 13-12-2009 by WTFover]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join