It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate passes $1.1. trillion spending bill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
I still find it amazing they throw around the word trillion like they used to use a million. OMG that is alot of money, and as always no way to track even most of it.............

And, did you notice how rapidly they went through the 'billions' phase?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

You guys are getting screwed...hard.

Thanks for the empathy, but, it really doesn't hurt anymore. Numbness has set in.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Most Americans haven't felt the pain yet, and the MSM has done a great job of protecting them from it so far.

The taxes it will take to offset all of this deficit spending in the near future will sting everyone.

Taxes that will also stifle investments, growth and new business ventures. killing even more opportunity and creating even more unemployment.

Numbness will hardly help those who are unemployed beyond their benefits and still cant find work.

Have any idea what the interest on all of this debt is going to cost?

They are going to have to find ways to pay for all of this... and there are only a few ways they can collect revenue.

This fall will hurt everyone eventually... Enjoy that numbness while it lasts.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
You want to know what it's going to take to wake up the people that think this kind of reckless spending is ok? It will take getting a paycheck that has 99% taxes and 1% pay. When you work a 40 hour week and don't even take home enough money to feed yourself let alone your family. Wake up this is your money they are taking. This money doesn't come from some magic piggy bank that never needs to be repaid. Spend away! I love it! Don't cry when all thats left is worthless paper, and the new nationally recognized language is chinese.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
We are screwed and I think they know it. I guess it doesn't matter, a trillion here a trillion there it's just money if we need anymore we can just print more. We are going down big time and its going to be the economy that is going to do it.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Let me put it this way...

The more the government spends, the less YOUR money will be worth.

Only problem is, the government can make as much of it as it wants.

So in the end, you get poorer and will eventually have to come to terms with the government and take their aid.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I dont think that you need to worry so much.

The total DEBT of the USA is a mind boggling 57 trillion.

watch c-span more
it helps ! im not even from the us and i was SHOCKED that the USA borrowed 281 BILLION from the UK !!

Interestng to say the least

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Also, banksters will avoid bonus taxes (50% in UK) by declaring themselves as consultants or putting monies into long-term shares...

There was speculation that bankers could bring a test case in European Court of Human Rights to appeal against the punitive tax.

To prevent bankers from finding ways around the tax, the Chancellor has introduced anti-avoidance measures with immediate effect. Under the measures, all share-based payments and temporary salary increases will be caught.

However, the HMRC notes designed to explain the scope of the measure have caused widespread confusion and debate. According to the notes, banks, building societies and all the businesses attached to these groups in the UK are effected. More than 100 banks and building societies are expected to be caught but insurance, hedge funds, private equity firms and brokers will escape the crackdown.

Telegraph (UK) - 10th dec 09

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
how hard is it to get hold of a senator? I think someone should contact one that voted for this and get some honest explanations. What is the plan? I just don't see why everyone on here thinks the bubble is going to burst soon and we are doomed while these guys keep voting for more spending.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Anyone smell burnt pork?

So, while the nation was out spending hard earned cash/credit on Christmas shopping and watching football, the Senate was ramming this through.

The spending is out of control and it has actually reached a point where I think that the big spenders on the Hill truly believe that they are just playing a game with monopoly money.

Yes, we need budgets and spending. However, the whole point of a budget is to stick to the plan. If I overspend on my monthly budget, something has to give. When I go out to eat, I would love to order the surf and turf every time. Problem, If I over spend on lobster and filet mignon, I just can't ask my boss for more money this month. If I continually blow my budget at work I could lose my job.

When times are tight you reign in spending on unnecessary line items. Not our govt. though. They hand out raises and bonuses. The average federal employee makes $70k a year plus bonus and overtime. During the past 18 months those earning six figure incomes on the Fed. payroll have actually surged by the thousands. WTF

Clearly the Democrats and some Republicans don't get this concept.

Republicans decried what they called out-of control spending and pointed to an estimated $3.9 billion in the bill for more than 5,000 local projects sought by individual lawmakers from both parties.

The Citizens Against Government Waste said those projects included construction of a county farmer's market in Kentucky, renovation of a historic theater in New York and restoration of a mill in Rhode Island.

Pork and pet projects in their home districts. Oh well, its only $3.9 billion. Just a drop in the bucket of the 1,000 page monstrosity.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Anger rise!
We fight a war
With much at stake
The rights of birth
That no one can take

Overflowing with anger
Soon to be awakening
Will be martyrs on to glory
Dawn finds us in this rage

Anger rise!
We wage a war...our nature to preserve
By any means...our enemies be gone

No longer can we wait
As an enemy drains our future
As the light of a new day shines
Our anger fuels our march this dawn

Anger rise!
We wage a war...our nature to preserve
By any means...our enemies be gone
No longer can we wait
As an enemy drains our future
As the light of a new day shines
Our anger fuels our march this dawn

As it must be
This dawn of the mad.

Savagery - as judgment days arrive
Long we have waited for this time
How many brothers fallen?
How many kept alive as slaves for the wicked few?
'Tis time for reparations
'Tis time to settle scores
This time we give no warning...this means war!

Morbid Angel (www.darklyrics.com...)

We always moan and complain here and everywhere else in the country, But when it comes down to it, we are a nation of cowards and lazy bastards. We refuse to cut the head off the snake (congress) Even as the dip there venomous into are Jugular and suck dry any or what's left of our pride, money, and futures. We will continue to let them do this, always waiting for the next big spending spree to come out of DC. We haven't learned, So you people get appalled when they do something like this?

I tried to run for congress but the fix is always in. I couldn't get anyone to sponsor me. When I mean anyone I mean Unions or business, They democraps and repukes are bought and paid for by above mentioned.
No one day we will wake up and release that we can't log onto the net, the cable is out, electricity and water have been shut off, and the food stores are empty, only then will we do what we should have done a long time ago.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by poedxsoldiervet]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Some interesting news from another source...

www.startribune.com/politics

With the increased spending and more red ink provoking new congressional alarm, a group of Democratic deficit hawks was insisting that Congress and the White House agree to new efforts to rein in the deficit or they would block a large increase in the debt limit.

Failure to increase the $12.1 trillion debt limit to cover federal borrowing could lead to a technical government default. As a result, the White House is eager to get some breathing room on the debt by the end of the year, giving lawmakers worried about deficit spending added power.

More at the source.

Gotta raise that limit on their credit card eh?

They want to attach a measure for this to a defense spending bill.

We are indeed screwed.

The President will likely sign this spending bill into law very soon.

Stay tuned.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

The spending is out of control and it has actually reached a point where I think that the big spenders on the Hill truly believe that they are just playing a game with monopoly money.

They know who's money they are "playing" with... Many know they are not likely to be reelected and are going ahead with all of this while they can because they have nothing to lose.. Even if kicked out of office they are set for life! They just have to make sure all of their special interests and lobbyists are taken care of first.

Over the next several days they will debate and come up with some kind of plan to pay for all of this and that is when the real screwing will begin.

Get ready for new taxes, higher taxes, hidden taxes, tax code revisions, and anything else they can come up with.

Its okay, we are the wealthiest nation on the planet... we can afford it.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Do you know what happens when the gov defaults?
Two, to keep it simple

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain

One cannot build back the economy from thin air, spending has to be done in order to repair the breakdown. If you find why all this money is being spent you will find in the end it's due to policies started by Bush and now to correct them money will have to be spend. If you don't spend money to correct it the same flawed structure will continue, it is as simple as that.

So, according to your philosophy, when my family is broke and maxed out all of our credit cards, in order to recover, the answer is simply to get yet another credit card with an even higher interest rate? Forgetting of course, that none of the money I just borrowed is going to pay down any of my existing debt -- rather just adding to my overall money pit.

Further, since several times now you enter threads and simply state: it's really because of Bush that Obama HAS to keep spending, why don't you provide actual examples of sources and such -- since your current "it's all Bush, Obama keeps all of his promises" mantra is lacking actual examples.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but specifically mentioning exactly what you are talking about would be helpful.

Lastly, what I don't understand, is that the healthcare bill was to come in under $900B. Period. This bill should have not passed on that alone. Adding another $200 Billion should not be acceptable when the number of Americans getting coverage from this bill has not increased. Rather, the only thing that has increased is unnecessary spending yet again.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I do have an idea, but would like to hear your thoughts on this.

A technical default would likely shut down a lot of the government... temporarily. Until a stop-gap measure is passed, that is why they are seeking to raise the 12.1 TRILLION debt limit (see previous posts)

But what do you think will happen?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
One question that many "tax payer" should be asking, why this bill was passed quietly during a Sunday when many people are glue to their TVs watching Sunday football?, because they didn't want any of the tax payer to actually realized what another blunder on fiscal irresponsibility is been shoved down the tax payers butt.

The debt ceiling to be raised amid the increasing, unsustainable budget.

Our government only knows how to spend, but to fix America is not in their agendas, for that they have to actually work and earn a living.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Crooks and thieves do their best work on weekends and during the late night hours Marg.

This government has passed many bills already while the American people were either sleeping or out for the weekend.

What does that really tell ya?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

lol, why do you think I asked you?
Im really not too sure.
But, I did some googling(I know) and found that most likely it would kill our credit(duh). Inflation(of course). Money that we oweother countries, well, they would just have to wait(if they are willing to do that). If not, I dont know what it is that we would do. Itwould probably start some sort of revolt against the govt, then leading to an overthrow of the govt(stretching, but maybe).
These are all guesses here, but I really cant think of anything else that we could do ?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

As much as many would like to believe there will be a revolt it is not likely to happen... At best the American people will vote in a new bunch of politicians who will ultimately pick up where these crooks left off... and the downward cycle will continue.

Most of these politicians know their days are numbered, that is exactly why they are pushing through so much costly insane spending.

Those who take office following future elections in 2010, and 2012 will meet and ultimately conform to the corruption that has ruled long before any of those elected before them.

They really don't care about the consequences of these massive spending plans as long as their interests and lobbyists are satisfied and their agendas get through before they leave.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join