It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate passes $1.1. trillion spending bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Senate passes $1.1. trillion spending bill

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON - The Democratic-led Senate on Sunday passed and sent to President Barack Obama an end-of-year $1.1 trillion spending bill that includes money to run much of the government and pay for health care benefits for the poor and elderly.

The spending measure, which passed 57-35, gives the Education Department, the State Department, the Department of Health and Human Services and others generous budget increases far exceeding inflation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Had enough yet?

Are you getting comfortable with this kind of spending?

While everyone is urged to save, and conserve, they have a blank check... Not only do they get funding they get increases.

Does the words "Trillions of dollars" shock you anymore?

In a time of great pain and economic recession it is good to know that our government shares our pain and cuts spending accordingly. as if they care.

Open your wallets America, one way or another YOU will pay for all of this spending, including the past stimulus/bailouts and future energy reform and government health care.

We should at least get a free Obama flag or something... maybe a coffee mug?

On Saturday, the Democratic-controlled Senate voted 60-34 to end the Republican attempt to use a legislative maneuver known as a filibuster to hold up the legislation. The final vote Sunday sends the measure to Obama for his signature.

Is there no stopping them now?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Washington (CNN) - The U.S. Senate on Sunday approved $447 billion in spending for several Cabinet departments and other agencies for the 2010 budget year - money needed to fund the federal government after the coming week.

Source

Funny, that seems a whole lot less than 1.1 Trillion doesn't it?

I wonder why CNN is quoting a different number?

NVM, it also states there's a 600 Billion dollar provision for what is said above, my bad.

You guys are getting screwed...hard.

~Keeper

[edit on 12/13/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

CNN?

Politically filtered news reporting?

The AP source is a bit more accurate ... even if it is on MSNBC.

They did this on a SUNDAY people.

Where is the outrage?

Spending is a given... excessive spending and government growth in a depression is beyond outrageous.

I suppose we should just get used to it?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Sounds good. Whatever has to be done to bring back the country from the trash bin Bush led it into should be done.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
Sounds good. Whatever has to be done to bring back the country from the trash bin Bush led it into should be done.

They took the country from that trash bin and threw it into the fires of hell.

This spending is unsustainable my friend.

It will have major impact on an already damaged, severely weakened economy... Especially when they believe they can tax the people and business to get out of this deficit spending.

At least someone feels good about the destruction of our country.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

What they don't realize is that the recession is FAR from over.

They forgot one thing. Inflation. And now with this type of spending it will lead to hyper inflation.

Therefore a loaf of bread will cost like 100 dollars.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
So how do you pass a health care bill that is claimed to be "deficit neutral" easy you pass an increased in spending bill needed to fund the government.

I guess they have resorted to passing unpopular bills on the weekend thinking nobody is going to find out about them. I bet they are going to be surprised.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

One cannot build back the economy from thin air, spending has to be done in order to repair the breakdown. If you find why all this money is being spent you will find in the end it's due to policies started by Bush and now to correct them money will have to be spend. If you don't spend money to correct it the same flawed structure will continue, it is as simple as that.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Unfortunetly it's not that easy my friend.

Throwing money at a problem has never solved a problem...ever.

You need to be constructive, and spend money like it's your last cent everytime.

They aren't thinking, they are just spending.

I am all for responsible spending on things that require immediate attention, but these budget increases aren't really needed at the moment. They are not vital to the rest of the economy.

Right now you all need job creation, retention and minimum wage increases...

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
For those who may not read the full news report... Some important material...

The bill increases spending by an average of about 10 percent to programs under immediate control of Congress, blending increases for veterans' programs, the NASA space agency and the FBI with a pay raise for federal workers and help for car dealers.

Republicans who fought the bill said it provides too much money at a time when the government is running astronomical deficits. "Obviously we need to run the government, but do you suppose the government could be a little bit like families and be just a little bit prudent in how much it spends?" said Sen. Jon Kyl, an Arizona Republican.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

You don't pay off debt with debt or stimulate an economy with more debt. Thats unwise and everybody with logic can see where this will lead. Right now all its doing is creating a superficial economy thats superficial enough as is. The Dow is increasing along with the unemployment rate, yet production is decreasing. The debt bubble wont take long now to burst.

Here comes the NAU within a years time.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by disfugured]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Here is an article that might shed some light to the uninformed.

Pretty much it says Keynes was wrong. Of course most logical common sense people could have told you that, but these Knights of the Ivory Towers needed state of the art statistical analysis and everything else to tell them that.

You know actually reading this article kind of makes you wonder how we have even survived as long as we did without this happening.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Get over Bush already... will ya?

Bush was just another puppet and a complete idiot.

Blaming him for this mess now is seriously pathetic.

Same problems... new faces and names... No change.

Only, it is getting worse by the day now.

When Obama is gone from office and you find yourself living in a much more depressed economy... Will you then blame him?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
In another thread I saw yesterday it said they wanted 1.8 trillion, so really you're in the black, my amerian brothers

Also in another thread, government workers have recieved immense increases to their salaries on some new bonus system, on top of across the board increases DURING the recession.
In alberta, cuts were made to the public sector last i heard. Has the American government found pots of gold at the end of all those rainbows or something?

[edit on 13-12-2009 by heyo]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

The 1.8 trillion you read about was to increase the debt ceiling, which is akin to raising the limit on your credit card. So I guess this bill is going to take up 1.1 of that, well actually less depending on how much was brought in through taxes.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
It says

The 1,000-plus-page bill brings together six of the 12 annual spending bills that Congress had been unable to pass separately even though the new fiscal year began Oct. 1 because of partisan roadblocks.

It includes $447 billion in operating budgets with about $650 billion in mandatory payments for federal benefit programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, which provide health care benefits to the elderly, disabled and poor, as well as an estimated $3.9 billion for more than 5,000 home-state projects sought by individual lawmakers in both parties.

The bill increases spending by an average of about 10 percent to programs under immediate control of Congress, blending increases for veterans' programs, the NASA space agency and the FBI with a pay raise for federal workers and help for car dealers.

and

But the second-ranking Senate Democrat, Dick Durbin of Illinois, said the measure restores money for programs cut under former President George W. Bush such as popular grant programs for local police departments to purchase equipment and put more officers on the beat.

The legislation also:

* Includes an improved binding arbitration process to challenge the decision by General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC to close more than 2,000 dealerships.
* Renews a federal loan guarantee program for steel companies.
* Permits detainees held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to be transferred to the U.S. for trial, but not to be released.
* Calls for federal worker pay increases averaging 2 percent.

This is what the money is being used for..so what do you think should have been excluded and why? If one is criticizing atleast it should be constructive criticism so lets start here.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

They are spending money they don't have... recklessly.

When cuts in spending would be appropriate they are increasing spending beyond what is necessary.

This on top of other massive deficit spending since January.

How will they pay for it?

How does increased government spending on government help a worsening economy?

How does increasing taxes on a shrinking revenue base provide new jobs and growth in the private sector?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish

They are spending money they don't have... recklessly.

When cuts in spending would be appropriate they are increasing spending beyond what is necessary.

This on top of other massive deficit spending since January.

How will they pay for it?

How does increased government spending on government help a worsening economy?

How does increasing taxes on a shrinking revenue base provide new jobs and growth in the private sector?

I will ask again, what as per you should have been excluded from the bill and why? How do you propose to do that. Pls refer to my previous post, I have mentioned all points for which the money will be spent for,

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

thanks for the info. It makes it seem like less of a monster.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join