It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid Destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, not God

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Wow, another thread with great potential ruined by religious nut-jobs. Regardless, thanks for sharing OP, some fascinating info there.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
It is my firm belief bible stories are just ideologies of natural events that seemed strange to the people of the time.

most sensible thing ive heard someone say in a long time.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
Asteroids come from space... not from god!

really? And what is "god"?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Interesting thread OP!

This discovery supports whats in the Bible as others have already pointed out.

What I find hard to believe is that atheists, realists, evolutionists, Darwinians or just plain non-believers who claim to be rational and intelligent thinkers can not at least stamp the God file permanently with Investigation Pending. Instead every headline is proof there is no God.

Grasshopper gets run over by lawnmower.

There must be no God....

Maxipads are more absorbent!

See? No God...

PS3 now only $299!

See?!?!?! I told you there is no God...

Try this for a theory (which I believe, and I am not alone):

Science is grand indeed. But it's very young when compared to the age of man. So it stands to reason that it has yet to advance enough to prove/disprove God. IF God is all powerful, he could hide his face from any means of scientific detection with little to no effort. Prooving He is there via scientific methods would destroy the foundation of spirituality which is faith.

I am not trying to suggest that you are totally wrong. But you and the rest of the scientific community are making an error to draw a conclusion based on the fact that with the tools currently available you are not getting the results you want...or maybe you are. Maybe in your own mind the idea of a being that can do whatever it wants, whenever it wants, and all of science could not control it or explain it is too terrifying to handle. For believers its just the opposite.

Either way OP, the info you posted was very interesting.

S&F

P.S. -

asturel13
Wow, another thread with great potential ruined by religious nut-jobs. Regardless, thanks for sharing OP, some fascinating info there.

asturel13, the use of terms like nut-jobs is the kind of disrespect that is doing more harm on this site then good.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by ch1ldofthe70s]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The face of the ASTEROID is against evildoers,
To cut off the memory of them from the earth.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by SuperSlovak

Who but God has the power to change the course of an asteroid?
Who but God has the power to set it's course?
Who but God created all things and set them in motion?
I have heard stories of no other.

1. Bruce Willis
2. Bruce Willis
3. Gravity and/or collision with another asteroid

You might as well claim the asteroid was set on its path by the Jolly Green Giant, there's as much evidence of that as there is that it was done by an invisible wizard. Why would an omnipotent being need a rock or a flood to do his bidding? Why not simply wink people out of existence? Or, better yet, not make "bad people" in the first place? It's funny how many mistakes a "perfect" being can make and how many inefficient methods he has for destroying his mistakes.

By the way, why is Las Vegas still around? Why hasn't god destroyed it yet?

[edit on 13-12-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
For great is the ASTEROID and most worthy of praise;
He is to be feared above all meteors and comets.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
An asteroid took em out?

Anything falling from the sky way back when was always thought to be part of gods will.

I don't think it was intentionally done, but, you know, those crazy aliens could of done it!

/sarcasm!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
HAHAHAHAHA
the odds of an astroid landing right in the town center of thousands of sinners!!!
this cracked me up
S&F

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
So, if I understand you correctly, an asteroid is not from God. Right? I don't see the difference, one way or the other, being an asteroid or a gas explosion or maybe a volcano. Some sort of natural event destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, I suppose. God, being in charge of the natural events (opening the Red Sea, walking on water, etc) can do pretty much anything He wants anytime He wants, right?

[edit on 12/12/2009 by Jim Scott]

That's a great theory. Unfortunately, your logic demands that God be a genocidal mad man. Next time the gulf coast gets hit by hurricane and thousands of innocent people are killed, don't send water, food, or medical supplies. Just tell them that God is in charge of all natural events and who are we to argue with his blood lust. This world will be much better off when you religious fanatics abandon your superstitions. Arguing that anyone who dies as a result of natural disasters has been murdered purposely by a God is nothing less than cold-blooded. Why don't you put aside your modern sense of entitlement and consider all the people that suffer from hunger and disease in 3rd world nations all over the planet? When their bones turn brittle due to famine, reassure yourself that God wants it that way, perhaps just to teach you some humility. After all, what better way to teach you a life lesson than to make innocent children suffer thousands of miles away?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoamC
HAHAHAHAHA
the odds of an astroid landing right in the town center of thousands of sinners!!!
this cracked me up
S&F

What are the odds that an idiot who sees a town destroyed assumes that it was done by God because the city, in that one man's perspective, was filled with sinners? Moreover, what are the odds that another idiot 2000 years later would believe that nonsense and joke around about city filled with families that one man didn't like being killed horribly?

Yeah - that's hilarious. Christians are truly much more warm-hearted and psychologically stable than Muslims, who Fox News has told me revel in the deaths of innocent civilians.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Anamnesis

Well said, I applaud you! Star.

Actually I watched a documentary on this last year, so this isn't really "new" per se. What happened was a large asteroid slammed into the alps and the ejected materal rained all over. A bad day for anyone who had molten rock rained down on them, not just those in the cities mentioned.

The larger questions of God are not for the likes of me to answer. I'm sure though there have been many places as equally sinful that have not been destroyed so I take my insight from that...

Asteroid

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
So, if I understand you correctly, an asteroid is not from God. Right? I don't see the difference, one way or the other, being an asteroid or a gas explosion or maybe a volcano. Some sort of natural event destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, I suppose. God, being in charge of the natural events (opening the Red Sea, walking on water, etc) can do pretty much anything He wants anytime He wants, right?

Thanks for sharing the story. It is great to see more and more information coming to us from the past. There are probably thousands of records yet untranslated from the distant past.

[edit on 12/12/2009 by Jim Scott]

Thank you for posting this reply.You beat me to it.When I read the title of this thread--I was thinking the same thing.God is INDEED in charge of all natural events,in THIS instance,and in others--such as the 7 plagues.They were all 'natural' events,and obeyed certain laws.And any 'laws' that seem to NOT obey science/physics as we know it,may simply contain something we are yet to discover or understand.These occurances and God being responsible are not mutually exclusive--it is perfectly reasonable that they can and do go hand in hand.
But the story is quite interesting,in and of itself--and thank you for posting it.I just don't see where it refutes God having a hand in it anywhere.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Meteors are just bits of dust or rocks from space that get sucked into the Earth's gravitational pull when they come to close to it. As they enter our atmosphere and plummet towards the ground, they burn up, usually about 60 miles before they get close enough to hit you in the head. When the meteors burn up, we on the ground can sometimes see the brief flash of light. This is what people call "shooting stars." Usually, the "space dust" that make meteors comes from the tails of passing comets. Every once in a while, a meteor will be big enough to weather its fiery descent and land on Earth, where it earns the title "meteorite."

Asteroids are also known as "minor planets." They are made up of much of the same stuff as planets, but they are much smaller. The four largest known are spherical or ball-shaped, like the Earth, and have diameters of between 100 and 500 miles. A diameter is an imaginary line running from one side of a circle or sphere through the center to the other side. In comparison to Earth's moon, which has a diameter of about 2100 miles, even the largest asteroids are still pretty small. The rest of the asteroids range in diameter all the way down to less than 5 miles across. Asteroids with diameters of 30 miles or less no longer have a spherical shape. Most asteroids orbit the Sun between Mars and Jupiter. Although some asteroids have sizes comparable to some moons in our solar system, these are not moons because they only orbit the Sun, and not any planets, as the moons do. The largest asteroids are called planetoids.
- www.qrg.northwestern.edu...

If we can't get the definition of meteorite correct, can we even begin to approach the definition of God? Let alone what He does or who He is?

[edit on 13-12-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
double post

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Jordan River]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
this post makes me laugh. so so much. Why can't God take out sodom and gammorah with an astroid. BTW

WHAT ARE THE ODDS THAT BOTH OF THEM WENT AWAY AROUND THE SAME TIME?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by andrewh7

Originally posted by NoamC
HAHAHAHAHA
this cracked me up
S&F

What are the odds that an idiot who sees a town destroyed assumes that it was done by God because the city, in that one man's perspective, was filled with sinners? Moreover, what are the odds that another idiot 2000 years later would believe that nonsense and joke around about city filled with families that one man didn't like being killed horribly?

Yeah - that's hilarious. Christians are truly much more warm-hearted and psychologically stable than Muslims, who Fox News has told me revel in the deaths of innocent civilians.

Btw. It wasn't one man. It was a man chosen by GOd. Your arguing in a agnostic/atheist perspective, which is not the correct way to see it. We must take the word of the bible for what it is, historical stories. Your judging Noah pretty harshly and the man's strength was ten fold. People need to be cleanse. Sometimes the cleansing of people have to be taken out through death and become killed. Think about what the world would be like with sodom and gommorah around to this day? think about it. Las vegas every where, taxes, stds galor, aids running rampent.
They were sinners. These cities were like las vegas X10... Not to mention the homosexuality. God isn't fond of it. but he'll still take you to heaven.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
BEHOLD, NOAH'S ARK

Since I don't know how to put you tube things on this (don't know what a youtube number is) instead click the link.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Does it float?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
reply to post by Jordan River

Does it float?

It's in the shape of a boat...

new topics

top topics