It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid Destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, not God

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Let me get this straight, OP.

You believe the God of the Bible is fiction, yet you're ready to believe that certain events historically rooted in the Bible such as the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, are historical fact? Why wouldn't this event be just as much fiction? The only source for it's "historical credence" is a text that, according to your understanding, is already sorely lacking in truth.

Therefore, by your own measure, this theory about asteroids is just as much nonsense as any counter claim that God is behind natural events.

We're supposed to buy that you know so much about this venerated, ancient text, that you can pick and choose what's true in it and what's not? That you can explain away alleged events attributed 4500 years ago to God?

You are obviously a Biblical scholar and a genius. And a time traveler.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by andrewh7

i couldnt have put it better myself...well said

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

What is god?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
why does the bible say thou shall not kill? if god can go and commit mass genocide on 2 cities....why does it say always show forgiveness...if god just kills sinners...

because the bible and god are all a pile of crock...and religious nut jobs like jordon river need a good nock to the head to see sense

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alpha Arietis
Let me get this straight, OP.

You believe the God of the Bible is fiction, yet you're ready to believe that certain events historically rooted in the Bible such as the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, are historical fact? Why wouldn't this event be just as much fiction? The only source for it's "historical credence" is a text that, according to your understanding, is already sorely lacking in truth.

Therefore, by your own measure, this theory about asteroids is just as much nonsense as any counter claim that God is behind natural events.

We're supposed to buy that you know so much about this venerated, ancient text, that you can pick and choose what's true in it and what's not? That you can explain away alleged events attributed 4500 years ago to God?

You are obviously a Biblical scholar and a genius. And a time traveler.

like i said buddy christian mind games DONT WORK ON ME. I look for evidence something there is none of for god. read the dam thread and youll see this is what i said.

It is my firm belief bible stories are just ideologies of natural events that seemed strange to the people of the time.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
It is my firm belief bible stories are just ideologies of natural events that seemed strange to the people of the time.

Thanks for the interesting thread. I agree with your above statement. That men tied morality lessons to natural events seems more than plausible. Why else would a city or populated area be destroyed by something falling from the heavens unless the great relief pitcher in the sky threw it down. Once the destruction had occurred far be it from the village priests to take advantage.

"Never let a serious crisis go to waste. What I mean by that is it's an opportunity to do things you couldn't do before." - White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel

We have not progressed very far from Sodom and Gomorrah. Only the names of the priests have changed. And even those names, maybe not so much.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

SuperSlovak, thank you for your interesting thread. I have a few questions for you, that haven’t been answered among the several pages of this thread. Perhaps you could shed some light on it for me.

#1. Can you please site the source of the image of the clay tablet you included in your original post?

#2. Can you site the documents you referred to, specifically the quote, “A clay tablet that has baffled scientists for 150 years has been identified as a witness account of the asteroid suspected of being behind the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.” Who was it that made that determination, and what are their credentials?

While I have no interest in pursuing the religious aspects of this thread, I am interested in that artifact and the papers published regarding it.

Thank you for your time. I’m sure we’d all like to see the scientific sources referenced in your original post.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
So the two angels or messengers sent to scope out the towns and who found lot and warned him to leave, were just ancient astronomers who just were claiming to be from god. And were on a personal mission to seek out the just and sinless people and warn those to escape before the meteor hit. Please be familiar with the whole story of a topic before jumping to conclusions. Thats what leads to consipracy theory B.S. You don't think that a higher being could use an asteroid? Wow! So unless its some giant glowing hand it wasn't god or at least a higher civilization posing as gods.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

EVERYTHING comes from the 1st Divine spark that lit the darkness and let sound echo thru the Infinite Space.

There is NO chaos. It might look so to those whom are not able (yet) to see the bigger picture.

Radion is meassured at Sodom & Gomorrah. So it's either been a nuclear weapon or an asteriod carrying nuclear material that destroyed the cities.

Either way: they knew it was coming .....

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
rubbish. if it was an asteroid how come angels went in to find a decent man and his family. then
2 angels find a decent man .
i tell you what theres a big effort out to discredit god and the book .
i say we are in the end times when they say the church is trampled on and christians ridiculed

[edit on 12/13/2009 by dashar]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This video gives an interesting up close look at the sand and rock formations in the supposed location of the city of Sodom and Gomorrah. I thought that this might be an interesting addition to this thread if anyone is interested in seeing the rock composition and landscape of the area. It shows evidence of ash, calcium carbonate (gray color, limestone), and calcium sulfate (gypsum-white color, brimstone+limestone). The structures are chalky and crumbly and easily fall apart in the narrator's hand. It also shows tall rock structures that they claim used to be sphinxes. If you want to skip the long introduction part and get to the meat of the program, skip ahead to 2:30ish. Around 6:30 is the part with the up close inspection of the area. Around 20:00, it shows where they took some of the rocks and had them tested in a lab to reveal their detailed contents. Do we have any geologists around here?

[edit on 13-12-2009 by gazerstar]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashar
rubbish. if it was an asteroid how come angels went in to find a decent man aand his family. then
2 angels find a decent man .
i tell you what theres a big effort out to discredit god and the book ...

Im not trying to dsicredit god and "the book"...
Give me proof of God/Jesus without using the Bible, which is the only source of information religion has. There are more books that prove science theories compared to the "book" that attempts to give proof in religion. To me, elements, atoms, math and all the sciences seems to add up compared to...Giants, men living in giant fish for 3 days, a big flood(where did all that water go btw?), the length of hair giving strength, separation of bodies of water...ect. I mean, do you believe in Hercules? Does the idea of a man, as a baby, fighting lions(or whatever it was) sound completely impossible compared to a giant or a talking bush? If you saw someone on the news saying the talked to a bush, you'd laugh at them...not say "it must be god". The fault with 90% of Christendom is the hypocritical views and actions...You damn and judge; gays, non believers and other religious groups, yet your book says not to judge...

You say Homosexuality is not natural and is a form of satanism, or whatever, but something around 2/3s of all black geese are gay. They find a female black goose and rape her, then one she lays her eggs, the two males chase her off and raise the geese themselves. Giraffes, water buffalo, ect...many animals have been found to have homosexual relationships besides human beings...are black geese satanic demons sent here to brain wash our minds?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by trevordbs

i cannot show you proof .
that you know
i call on faith alone and my experiences .
i have seen things . i have herd things all since i had a ND exp.

things are bad here on earth because we all know deep down what is comeing

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I have a degree in theology from a christian university, my OT professor spent most of her life as an archeologist in and around Israel. One thing she noticed, which is similar to this, is in the story of the fall of Jericho. God told the Israelites to march around the city of Jericho and the walls would fall, and they did! While doing archeological digs they found there is a fault line running under Jericho, so obviously what made the walls of the city fall was an earthquake...does this mean that God does not exist or the story isn't true? Not at all, God sometimes chooses to use nature for his actions. He said Sodom and Gomorrah would be destroyed by fire from the sky and it was...he said the walls of Jericho would fall and they did...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

Of course i could not absolutely Know that some grandfather type of person originated the Lot's Wife myth.

I'm just using common sense, and linking the story creation to observations i have individually made and used the shared knowledge of these type actions taking place, through the works of many other Authors in literature.

Ahem, i thought it understood there were no 'absolutes' therefore i did not to preface my posted remark with some 'disclaimer'
so as to thwart rebukes from persons such as the personality your projecting with such idle talk.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousMoose

The events did take place as the evidence shows but it was NOT GODS WORK. Natural events that people thought was gods work.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Asteroid or volcano or what ever it may have been, it seems much more likely to me that the biblical account was made up after the fact. What better way to scare your believers into not partaking of certain activities? Even if everyone those cities were good (which we all know is never the case) no one was left to refute the claims that the people were all sinners.

Which would scare the people more? No sodomy because it's a little dirty and just a bit nasty, or no sodomy because god will destroy your city if you do. I think the people who are inclined to believe in religion will certainly believe the latter.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousMoose

I have a degree in theology from a christian university, my OT professor spent most of her life as an archeologist in and around Israel. One thing she noticed, which is similar to this, is in the story of the fall of Jericho. God told the Israelites to march around the city of Jericho and the walls would fall, and they did! While doing archeological digs they found there is a fault line running under Jericho, so obviously what made the walls of the city fall was an earthquake...does this mean that God does not exist or the story isn't true? Not at all, God sometimes chooses to use nature for his actions. He said Sodom and Gomorrah would be destroyed by fire from the sky and it was...he said the walls of Jericho would fall and they did...

I have a BS in BS from the University of hard knocks AM. Not very impressive.

What you're saying is tantamount to me writing that the Tunguska explosion was caused by God to destroy Siberian perverts. Krakatoa? God's way of setting 36,417 French Indonesians on the straight and narrow. 9/11? God sent Saudi Arabians on jets to punish sinful office workers. "God's will".

The wall of Jericho could have fallen and the Israelites took the opportunity to loot them. (They did the Hora first?) But my take on the story doesn't look "Kosher" or righteous in their printed history though does it? I think the Biblical Israelites were warring opportunists that had great publicists. They wrote their own ads. Who can prove it? "God" works in mysterious ways. There is no way to definitively determine what came first the natural disaster or the myth. I can only use my "God given mind" and reference parallel modern occurrences.

Do you think every natural disaster is a message or punishment from "God"? Why are these events not being added to the Bible as evidence of God's will and might for future generations? There could be photos too! Who said to stop writing?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

By creating this thread claiming that God was not responsible for the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, you take on the responsibility to provide evidence that would sway your audience.

I agree with everything that you presented in your opening post with the exception of "not God" which is in your headline. You have provided evidence that supports all other claims but that one.

You stated...

You have a sound hypothesis. But the evidence you provided does not prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that God had no hand in the events of that day. The accounts on the clay disk merely support what was recorded in the Bible.

Your claim is that none of that was Gods work, now prove it.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silicis n Volvo
why does the bible say thou shall not kill?

Because we do not have the authority to destroy that which we do not create.

if god can go and commit mass genocide on 2 cities....

How many people did he create? How many did he destroy? How many people that He created that we have destroyed?

why does it say always show forgiveness...

Because He has for us (specifically recently through Christ), remembering that He destroys after sufficient warning:

"The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; " - Numbers 14:18

if god just kills sinners...

Not immediately. Opportunity and patience exist, but not forever.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join