It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My First Holiday Gathering *Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
This Saturday I invited a dozen or so friends, family and neighbors of various age ranges, over for a get together where we are trimming my tree and enjoying a meal and some drinks and good times.
This is my first REAL party in many years and in my new home, so I'm a bit out of practice when it comes to entertaining, especially over Christmas.
If anyone wishes to post suggestions for menu or how to pass the time together should the party take a slow turn please do...
I have all the drinks already, and the menu must be include some vegetarian foods as my niece doesn't eat meat.The dessert I have planned is one I have made before to great reviews and that is Egg Nog cake.
Thanks in advance ,
AD

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
A gathering can be a lot more relaxed if you put out a whole bunch of snacks and those hor de vores things.

Try to take the focus off a big dinner so you can relax as well.
Do your prep work the day before so you have more time to spend with your guests.

Good luck, do I get an invite ?

anx..........

Edit: I edit

[edit on 10/12/2009 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Yep..that is what I was thinking as well..but the party starts late afternoon, into the evening, so over the dinner hour.
SURE YOU GET AN INVITE!!!!
Wanna come up North and help me build a snowman??
*warning
I have great aim with snowballs.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
PARTY AT AD'S HOUSE !!!!!!!!!!!

Just what city do you live in ???
King to 403, onto the QEW or 407, then I just start heading up the 400 eh ?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
PARTY AT AD'S HOUSE !!!!!!!!!!!

Just what city do you live in ???
King to 403, onto the QEW or 407, then I just start heading up the 400 eh ?

Up the 400..to 11...turn off at 17..
See you in Mattawa!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
You must have something for everyone. You say theirs different age groups so don't leave anyone out of entertaining. Karaoke may be good for the young and old. Here's a recipe that I like to make for parties. I use a big crock pot.

1 or 2 blocks of Velveeta cheese( cut into tiny squares )
2 or 3 cans of Rotel tomato's with chili's. ( Hot or Mild ) drain juices from can.
1 or 2 pounds of sausage ( browned and drain ) you can also bake little chunks in oven.
Add all to crock pot and stir while melting. I add a little milk just to cream it up more. Serve with your choice of chips. It's delicious!

Music is always a good thing to have playing. Board games too. Baking cookies always puts people in a good mood. Good Luck and party on !

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hi A.D.

Disposable cameras are great. Leave a couple lying around and folks will be snap happy. Ahhh, memories!

CAKE....something colourful and silly.

Computer or mp3 player loaded with a weekend of tunes and set on "shuffle".

Big bowl of FRUIT PUNCH. Something to kick things off.

I can't advise too much on food except to say LOTS.

Treasure Hunt.

Make a REALLY BIG (pre)Xmas cracker. Fill it with loads of sweets, gifts and surprises and watch the mad scrabble for the goodies when it's pulled....lol

Make some cocktails and have a little menu for them. Great way to enjoy a drink. Straws, umbrellas etc.

I'll post again if I have more.

Have a great party.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Hi AD,
Seems like I am having some e-mail problems so just thought that I would let you know, I have found the manuals
for the camera, microwave and printer and shall be bringing them along with me on Saturday.

Don't expect me until around dinner as I am not leaving too early.

Really looking forward to the party. See you soon..

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Couple of 6strings, beer and tequila, and a couple of security guys just in case.

And if your friends are like my friends; hide your valuables.

[edit on 10-12-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Oh sweet..thanks guys for the ideas!

Nerbot, sounds like you have a bit of party experience there huh?

Well, I bought the tree yesterday and it's going to be decorated by my guests today.
As for food..I made mini honey garlic meatloaf, mini quiche , herb and garlic potato salad, broccoli salad, sausage rolls, pizza rolls..and egg nog cake.
I will be making the cheese dip in the crock pot, and I have trays of cheeses, meat, fruit and various holiday cookies. I also filled the house with candy and mixed nuts, and my fridge is full of soda, juice and coolers....so we'll see how tonight plays out!!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   

DARN

I'm missing another party!!!

Have fun!!!

Semper

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

DARN

I'm missing another party!!!

Have fun!!!

Semper

aww..you are in my thoughts hon...you and your nice, warm..not snow covered beach..*sigh.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I know it's late...but...

At Sams (or Wal-Mart superstores), and Target, there is a company called Nancy's that makes great mini-quiches and mini spiral sandwiches for appetizers. Quite a bit of food for $10 a pop, and they are pretty fancy, easy to prep....

Sandwich rings are always easy, and put some cheese and salsa in a crock pot with some tortilla chips on the side, and easy, easy...

Crock pots are just great in general for parties. If you can crock it, it's an easy way to be ready for the food. (Meatballs in sauce or gravy are one of my favorites here)...

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Hey!
all went fabulous, and the cheese dip in the crock pot was a BIG HIT!!!
I made my own mini quiche, but everyone like my mini meatloaf better.
It was an awesome evening with food, drinks, and lots of fun.
My tree is decorated, I have lots of great pics of everyone,and many memories from that night.
THANKS everyone!

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Nice to hear it all went well and everyone had a good time. This may give you the confidence to entertain more often without the worry.

Now all we need to wrap up this thread is for you to post a picture of your tree.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Nice to hear it all went well and everyone had a good time. This may give you the confidence to entertain more often without the worry.

Now all we need to wrap up this thread is for you to post a picture of your tree.

I will when i get a new pic of it..right now all those pics have me and my boyfriend in front of it.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Glad to hear that all went well. I wish you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas and party on AD.

top topics

join