It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An American Soldiers Perspective, My Perspective

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

An American Soldiers Perspective, My Perspective

www.icasualties.org

Link is to current death tolls from the war.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+35 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
First let me introduce myself. I am a SGT/E-5 In the United States Army. I have served 4 years 149 days of a 5 year contract. 15 months of this time was spent in Baquba, Iraq. I am a Military Police Officer and during my time in Iraq I worked very closely with Iraqi police, and Iraqi soldiers. Since then I have been working as a police officer on one of the military installations that have been in the news recently.
The reason for this post is to clarify something’s that I have been seeing spring up on ATS a lot recently.
In a recent article I read that soldiers are nothing but baby killers and disserve to be imprisoned. To this I respond when we are shot at we return directed fire at the ENEMY, not children or innocent people. During one of the ambushes on my squad an enemy vehicle drove up to our convoy and exploded. A piece of the vehicle that exploded cut a woman in half and also killed her child she was holding. Is this our fault? Most would say no, however there are those select few of special people that would say if we weren’t there then they wouldn’t have drove a VBIED into our convoy, but aren’t we all responsible for our own actions? Would this not actually be the fault of the person that put it together and decided to drive it into us? Btw our mission was to transport dirty laundry from our outpost to the main base for washing, not a threat to anyone.
Next thing that I recently read was that these people (Iraqis) don't want us in there country. My response to this is where did you get your information? Perhaps it was from your couch watching CNN (Biased News Network) that only reports what will be controversial and make people watch. Let me fill you in on some super secret info. I PERSONALLY spoke with the people in Iraqi, NOT the high officials safe and cozy in there office, but the people that are living off of garbage and are afraid to even walk to the market because there afraid of being terrorized into placing bombs in the road to kill Americans. These people hug us and thank us DAILY. When we come in force and remove the gangs that kill and rape their women, they bring us food and water with tears in their eyes thanking us, men and women both. This is where I get my news, on the streets, the real world. If you would like to argue this point, go to a third world country that’s war torn, survive there for 15 months then come back and tell ME how it is. I think your peace loving hippie ass would have a slightly different perspective on what REALITY is.
I am not a war mongering soldier. I HATE WAR. I hate losing good friends. I hate having to kill to survive. In fact, the only reason I only have 1 deployment is because I have done everything in my power to NOT go back for another deployment. Is it because I don’t agree with what’s going on or that I’m not patriotic? No, not at all. I just had my first born boy earlier this year, and I would like him to grow up knowing his father not his father’s memory.
I would also like to comment on those who like to say the soldiers are fighting this war because they want to. Let me break it down for those of you who have freedoms and choices. When I was 18 and signed that contract I gave up my right to do what I wished. Granted I did it willingly, unknown to me what I had in store in my future. If I choose not to go to war, go against orders, as some have put it so simply, let me explain to you what happens. First I will be publicly ridiculed. My family name will be tarnished across the national news networks. My rank will be taken and I will be imprisoned. All of my benefits, pay, medical coverage, housing, food allowances, will be taken from me and my family will not be provided for. Is this something you would be willing to go through? It’s easy to say yes when your not in the position. Me personally? No, I’m not. I managed to escape a second deployment but for most it’s impossible. Truthfully, I haven’t escaped anything! Orders can still come down for me to leave, only 216 days from getting out of the military. This is the choice for a soldier. Please stop ridiculing those who choose to not be put in prison and take care of their family’s instead.
Finally I leave you with this. We do what we do because we are ordered to. Not because I want to fatten pockets of those in high ranking places, I don’t honestly even think it does! We do what we do for the man to the left and to the right. We do what we do so that future generations won’t have to. Mostly we do what we do so people like you can sit at home and freely bitch about it. The next time you see a soldier, your not required to shake his hand. You’re not required to thank him or even acknowledge him. We don’t ask for it and for most of us don’t even care for it. But please, what ever you do, don’t spit on him. You don’t know where he’s been or what he’s had to endure.
Thanks for reading my post. I am an avid reader of ATS and love this site. (Sometimes I even get to read at work, Shh don’t tell Uncle Sam)

www.icasualties.org

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Great post mate and no matter the rights or wrongs of war you've been put on the firing line and you have had to endure massive stress that the regular Joe will never encounter.

Keep your chin up be proud and know in your heart that despite the politics behind the war you're doing the best you can. I admire your courage and bravery.

Let the joy of your new born son pull you through man.

Big up!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeoplesSoldier

Well Put Sarge, Its very hard for us Combat Vets to state what we saw and know to be the truth, In reality most of the Anti-War protestors believe what they are saying is true. Unfortunately sometimes they can be right. But I agree with what you said about Everyday Iraqis wanting us there. In 2003-2004 I was in Samarra, Iraq very much a hot bed for Sunni Rebels, I remember one farmer he said to me" You Americans can stay for one year, two years tops, anything after that is bad". in 2005-2006 I was back in Samarra and seen the same farmer and asked him what he thought of us still being here. He said" with the foreign fighters here you must stay until our Army and Police can protect us, they are too afraid to fight without American Military Support." That’s just one account I have thousands of others....

But I do think it’s time we come home, I never believed Iraq was to much of a threat to America. Yes I am aware saddam paid the families of suicide bombers and financed some terrorist groups. I also believed once we were there that was it we had to finish it we couldn’t let it turn into Vietnam or even what Afghan use to be. But I think our fight there is finished its time to come home. We should concentrate on Afghan dump all the troops there in Afghan and watch the Taliban quake in there camels...

Before you people start to flame this man actually read what he says.

Job Well Done.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Thank you ThePeoplesSoldier for serving our country. I am forever in your debt for you having the guts and glory to fight for our freedoms and freedoms abroad. You know the truth so don't let anyone bring you down with words.

You not only fight for our rights, for our country but for your life out there. You fight for the Iraq rights. You fight while the citizens celebrate the Holidays. They barbecue on their patios and watch their favorite sports games. They log on to websites like ATS and use the right to speak freely even bashing you. They have their own businesses and make good money. They drive the country side not worrying about roadside bombs. The go to church of their own religion and they sleep at night knowing they'll wake up to do it all over again. All the while the soldier is walking the streets of a war torn town during Christmas or Thanksgiving. The soldier fights on in rain, snow or sunshine. The soldier works 24/7 while we work our measly 40 hour weekend and hit the party scene on the weekends. The soldier fights on. Again " Thank You " and your fellow soldiers for all that you do.

+15 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Explanation: You are the exact reason I am disgusted by the US!

Here is WHY!....

1stly Its the fault of everybody involved, YOURSELF INCLUDED!

How BIASED can your info be when it only includes the military loses involved.

What about the Iraqi civilian casualties numbering well into the 10's of thousands!

Iraqi Deaths Estimate.

www.iraqbodycount.org...

There is your BLOODY lethal dirty laundry!

2ndly RE: "I am not a war mongering soldier. I HATE WAR. I hate losing good friends. I hate having to kill to survive."

And yet your actions say otherwise!

Oh and why is that? Maybe because you abrogated your own responsibility by doing this......

3rdly RE: "When I was 18 and signed that contract I gave up my right to do what I wished. Granted I did it willingly, unknown to me what I had in store in my future. If I choose not to go to war, go against orders, as some have put it so simply, let me explain to you what happens. First I will be publicly ridiculed. My family name will be tarnished across the national news networks. My rank will be taken and I will be imprisoned. All of my benefits, pay, medical coverage, housing, food allowances, will be taken from me and my family will not be provided for. Is this something you would be willing to go through? It’s easy to say yes when your not in the position. Me personally? No, I’m not.".

You are exactly like those who claim they were just following orders!

Personal Disclosure: YOUR DISCLOSURE, ALTHOUGH MOST WELCOMED FOR ITS TRANSPARENCY, STILL MAKES ME WANT TO PUKE!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
The reason I did not include Iraqi death tolls is not because I wanted to hide the truth, mearly because I didnt know where to find them. I agree that there losses are significant, and just as bad as our own.

Before you judge me let me say there are NO winners in war, only the dead, and the ones that were dumb enough to make it through to remeber it the rest of thier lives.

As far as me "just following orders". I was NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER ordered to kill anyone. I did that on my own free accord. However let me ask you this, if you were faced with being killed or killing somone would you just stand there and let them do it? If so your a bigger man than me or you need serious counseling. Its not what we are ordered to do its what we do because we have to for survival that haunts us and people that twist that into their own sick propogandous opinions (you) rub salt into the wound. Thanks for the reply though every opinion is interesting!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeoplesSoldier

I think your peace loving hippie ass would have a slightly different perspective on what REALITY is.

The next time you see a soldier, your not required to shake his hand. You’re not required to thank him or even acknowledge him. We don’t ask for it and for most of us don’t even care for it. But please, what ever you do, don’t spit on him. You don’t know where he’s been or what he’s had to endure.

www.icasualties.org

My peace loving hippy ass thanks you from the bottom of my heart for your service and your post. Bless you friend. I know you will agree, Peace is not so bad when we can get it.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

From a lowly PV2: Sergeant, Don't let them get to you. A lot of the members here on ATS who do this kind of stuff aren't right in their minds. They'll persist with shoving the same exact ignorance no matter how much you can outdo them. Just remember that we're the ones who see the stuff they can't even handle or imagine dealing with. Godspeed to your getting out of this.
You've got plenty of friendlies here on ATS if you ever need someone here to talk with or simply need some input on a thread.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

Your the last person that needs to think your lowly son. Privets always think that they are the bottem of the food chain but in reality they move the army. I don't know when your time will come to go over seas but remeber you have alot of people over there that want you there and love Americans. At the same time don't let your gaurd down. The one time you do could be the time the sniper gets the bead on you. Be safe.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I watch the television and see their faces from the comfort of an armchair. They did not ask for this war. They are our children, fresh faced and idealistic, and most when they go have never killed anyone.
War changes them. When they come home the happy go lucky are sad, the ones once full of piss and vinegar are quiet, those who were always serious, go off by themselves.
War is a necessary evil. Until we are a more diplomatic creature upon this planet it will always be. Never blame the soldier. These are young men either brave or fool hardy enough to think they will never die, inspired enough to risk their lives for their country. Everything they do is on orders. They were only children a few short months prior, and now they are young men and women who fight like warriors but at the end of the day- most only want to be back home, with their mothers. Just like you and I.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
I watch the television and see their faces from the comfort of an armchair. They did not ask for this war. They are our children, fresh faced and idealistic, and most when they go have never killed anyone.
War changes them. When they come home the happy go lucky are sad, the ones once full of piss and vinegar are quiet, those who were always serious, go off by themselves.
War is a necessary evil. Until we are a more diplomatic creature upon this planet it will always be. Never blame the soldier. These are young men either brave or fool hardy enough to think they will never die, inspired enough to risk their lives for their country. Everything they do is on orders. They were only children a few short months prior, and now they are young men and women who fight like warriors but at the end of the day- most only want to be back home, with their mothers. Just like you and I.

If I had a machine to directly reflect what I see in the eyes of our soldiers on a daily basis this would be exactly what it would say. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I really do want to thank you and all the soldiers. I mean no disrespect, but with that said...

I respect you because your heart is in the right place wanting to fight for freedom it's just that your soul is with the devil. (the government) I mean, yeah the every day Iraqi might love you there, but for every enemy your killing your also killing 1,2, maybe 3 innocent civillians? Who can know?

I had the chance to join the Navy, but I opted out because of the very same reason you listed about what happens if you don't follow orders. They own you. Period. If the time every comes for martial law and all that #, your SOL because they got you. You don't follow their orders you don't eat, your wife doesn't eat, and worst of all your new kid doesn't eat.

How could I let an organization called the government, as shady, greedy, and corrupt as they are, control me like that? I would need to trust them full heartedly and know their intentions pure and good and not tainted. There is just to much shadiness with the government and I did not want them providing for my food and shelter because that gives them to much control.

This is my opinion, but I do respect you.

Much love

[edit on 8-12-2009 by doped00]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Though I try to respect all people.....even those who strongly believe opposite of what I believe....I must reiterate my strong opinion on this matter: this country, in my OPINION, has NOT fought for "freedom" since the Revolutionary war. Wars have been fought for gain, money, political power, etc, etc......I say this even for the two world wars as well....(though, had Hitler won in Europe, it might not have been too beyond the realm of possibility we WOULD have fought for our "freedom" in THAT scenario). I get tired in the ol' eye rolling way when I hear ALL the myriad of excuses why America is fighting a certain war....This country is literally bankrupt....in money AND in morals (again, my opinion here)....yet we send money, materials and people that are WASTED in foreign countries when THIS country is falling apart. And never forget....YOU chose to sign up. I don't know WHEN you signed up (I am assuming from your post it was in 2003 or around there).....but it was a CHOICE. At any rate, despite my dislike for America's war machine...and the fact that I would not shake a soldier's hand for "protecting me", (I would shake his/her hand for any OTHER reason than that one), I would NEVER spit on him/her either. (spitting is kinda gross anyways and VERY childish).....in MY "box" (as someone on ATS calls it) war has NO purpose. If someone punches me in the face and/or threatens ME and MINE, then I have a right to DEFEND myself...that is the extent of my acceptance of any form of violence.

On a personal note....to you...I hope, for your family's sake, I hope you do NOT get deployed again. Have a nice holiday.

D-

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by doped00

Haha I am here defending the soldiers. That being said the government makes its own bed and this is NOT the place to be defending them of all places. I dissagree with thier methods of handleing people that choose not to go to war but if your running a mass orginization how would you control it? No one wants to go to war. I think if I were in charge I would probly do much of the same as far as quality control of soldiers.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeoplesSoldier
Thanks for the reply though every opinion is interesting!

Said the gentleman to the jerk. There is no way first of all that most soldiers going into the service are perceiving a, "dark agenda", and they should not be required to do so.

OmegaLogos most of these people are brought up through mainstream thought; 18/21 years old; and you are expecting them to have Ron Pauls' insight. Which is ignorant/without regard on your part. I support troops like OP. I also realize that many people of action are consciously inter-reacting within the conspiracy itself.

You can not expect the mainstream to even be aware that all is not well with our political structure. What they should do, and as OP has done, is to apply their own judgment concerning what time reveals; and seek to survive through it.

You have my respect, and gratitude for your endeavor to make the world a little more livable at the risk of your own life.. OP

Not trying to be an ass OmegaLogos; just saying, in common law, you do not bring the dept, without simultaneously providing the remedy. You can not provide the remedy because you can not go back and give OP your, "only true insights". According to common law your words are baseless. No offense.

No consequencE..

Thank you.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by noconsequence]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I never thought the war in Iraq was a good idea but once begun I have been behind our troops all the way. Saddam was bad, yeah, yeah, but he struck a balance of power with Iran. Our invasion has tipped the scales and now we feel we have to worry about Iran. Kind of like dominos, you knock one down the rest may fall over if you don't intervene.

what pisses me most aobut the war is how we use private contractors that get better pay and easier jobs than our enlisted men and women.
Guarding embassies was a post of honor, the marines could still do a fine job with it but oh no!, mr. Bremer wanted Blackwater guys to guard his priveleged behind and now that's the norm.

I can't wait until ALL our military personell can come home and enjoy the comforts and freedoms of everyday life here in America as I'm sure they can't wait either. Until then I hope that they all stay safe and pray that our administration will do what it should to not further put our people in harm's way. Thank you for your service and good luck to your new family!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Cornczech

You are more then correct I choose to sign up. That was my choice. I also made the choice to stick it out even knowning that people publicly spit on soldiers. That was my choice to. But the one that gets me the most is that I am currently looking at jobs that I might have to re-enlist for due to lack of education and training. That will be the best choice of all. Notice that in all of those choices their was no thought of political offiliation, oil, cultures. I do this for a job. Plane and simple. Just like all the other soldiers. I do this to support my family. I make $3400 a month, to support 2 adults and a baby. Im 23 years old and hope that if I do have to re enlist that I can find a job that I dont have to deploy to do. We shall see!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
While i completely disagree with the current wars.

I completely respect the people on the ground doing the dirty work for those in power and respect any person that person that's willing to put themselves in harms way for there people.

Whiles those that have no respect for soldiers. I think u should think about who's going to be saving your behind if a situation arises when the military is needed. Because i can safely assume your an arm chair internet warrior that would curl into a little ball and cry like a baby if put into a bad situation.

RESPECT SOLIDER!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Explanation: I note you have only just joined ATS and unfortunately for you, you've run smack bang into me and I hold an extreme dislike for all L.E.O.'s and my arguments on many an ATS thread are quite robust and I encourage you to seek them out to discern my entire POV on issues such as these. I also partake quite enthusiastically in many military oriented threads and again I encourage you to seek them out for your own enlightenment!

FYI I assessed you on what you disclosed and that by no means entitles me to pass sentence or carry it out!

As for me being willing to fight, kill and or die for a cause, well I chased my mum around the house with some carving knives with the full intent of her being butchered and consumed by myself at the age of 15 because she lied to me, and this MONSTEROUS attitude of mine has resulted in me being considered not fit for duty by the Australian armed forces. Strange that they would junk exactly the kind of weapon that would be the most effective in war! If my Aussie sheila mum couldn't control me what chance do you think the enemy would have?

The wounds are of your own making and I feel the salt is a valid payment for your efforts!

Personal Disclosure: I hope my tirade doesn't encourage you to pack ATS in. Its your open and heartfelt transparency that I admire but more for the act of it rather than its content! Its that kind of attitude that both ATS and I wish to promote and so I apologize for any percieved insults my bluntness may have induced. Your transparency here is a great act of a warrior for the truth! I Salute you for that!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join