It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An OPEN CALL to ATS users: STOP...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+54 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
...lying, fabricating and making far-fetched claims. I’ve been a member of this site for years, but only recently started posting. I would always drop in and read threads, but I never actively participated until recently. However, based on my short time participating and spending a lot of time reading thread after thread (I’m able to do this because I have a lot of times on my hands now), I must say this board is laden with sycophants, hypocrites, liars, flimflammers, charlatans and people who can readily pass for street magicians. It’s one thing to make claims and provide what you think is proof, but it’s another to make threads that are highly ostentatious with no shred of evidence to support the claim.

I understand science cannot explain everything, I know religion can’t explain everything, but when you make threads and claims, you should be held accountable for the words and statements you make. What I see are many hurt people, many of low self esteem, taking advantage of ATS and the type of user experience the owners, administration and staff have offered. What I also see is the egotistical and sanctimonious hiding under the “deny ignorance” banner while clearly advocating ignorance. However, I have a question which is, why hasn’t ATS owners, admins and staff taken an active step in eradicating the madness? Is it because they don’t see it or because this blatant form of idiocy can easily be monetized? I understand this is a place where people should feel safe posting their views and experiences, but when those views are highly illogical, and the person holding them can’t begin to tell you why said views are valid, then what?

While some may not see it, fundamentally, there is difference between saying “my god exists” and “I’m an alien from the planet X”. On the surface, both require a lot of evidence, but what evidence can one give to show a god exists? Nothing. A person can show you nature, holy books or whatever they feel is “evidence”, but that is what they feel is evidence and it’s rooted in belief, faith or interpretation. However, if you’re making the claim that you’re a star child, that you’re a time traveler, that you’re part of the Illuminati, that you’re psychic, or that you’re the offspring of an alien, you should be able to produce some tangible proof to support your claims. This proof should not be rooted in belief, faith or interpretation, but should be something tangible that can be tested and verified. Why? Because you’re claiming you are these things or that you have experience with these things. DNA test should show this, you should have some technology to show you’re time travelling exploits, you’d be able to tell us about all the secrets of the so-called thirteen families, the dates you gave for prophecies would come to past, etc.

So why is this important? The reason is because they’re deceiving under the veil of “deny ignorance”, but most importantly, under the claim that they’re helping mankind or want to help mankind! Newsflash people, what you’re doing is clearly not helping mankind! What you’re doing is actively hindering mankind, critical thinking and anything of sound intelligence. This thread is not meant to attack religion, atheism, UFO researchers/debunkers, truthers, constitutionalists, blacks, whites, little green people, etc. It is a call to stop lying, a call to embrace knowledge, and a call for each and every person on this site to evaluate themselves and their posts before they press the “post reply” button. How many children die daily? Tens of thousands, yet people come here, make claims that they’re helping mankind, yet offer no plan as to how to help our children. They speak in riddles, talk of “spirituality”, repeat some of the most asinine comments in human history (“God helps those who help themselves” comes to mind), yet NEVER offer a viable solution on how to end the worlds problems. Stop it. You’re wasting your time, my time, everyone else’s time, and lot’s of band width.

In closing, this thread is a call for people to examine themselves before they press the post reply button. I have no problem with opinions, or difference of perspectives, but I do have a problem with people disguising themselves as gentle doves when deep down, they're nothing but vipers. These people often seduce and subdue the gullible with soothing words, what they deem as “spirituality”, and a “feel good” experience. Please, for the sake of all that is good, stop it. To those who are not behaving in such a wreckless fashion, I have no words for you aside from, "Thanks, continue on and go in peace."

EMPIRE

P.S. I saw no other place to post this, so mods, if I’m wrong for posting in this area my apologies as this is my first post on ATS, and I ask that you take that into consideration. Thanks.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by EMPIRE]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

This is ATS, part of what makes it so much fun is the wild claims. People claiming to be government agents, aliens, reptilians, people posting the same three pictures of Mars claiming they show proof of alien habitation. It's all part of the experience really.

This is the internet anyway, there's no real control over what people say, I mean sure there's T&C but that only goes so far. Besides, without the crazy tabloid headlines where would the fun be in alternative topics? If this was a place of only serious research and only serious threads it would get dull.

They speak in riddles, talk of “spirituality”, repeat some of the most asinine comments in human history (“God helps those who help themselves” comes to mind), yet NEVER offer a viable solution on how to end the worlds problems

Actually "God helps those who help themselves" is one of my favorite quotes because it tells people to stop looking for mystical answers from on high and start getting things done on their own. To me the message is to save yourself instead of praying to your deity like he's a magical genie who will save you...

I think without ignorance to deny things on ATS would get pretty dull but I agree that some of the shenanigans should be stopped and people need to think twice before making wild claims or purposely posting hoaxes with the intent to deceive.

+29 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Jeez...when will these types of threads stop?

Its actually really boring me now.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Why even waste your time making this thread? The people who make these false claims and fabrications are not going to stop because YOU want them to...

It's just not going to help... sorry.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
i lol'd
I do not know i like the occasional "im an alien" thread they are entertaining and unlike many "good" threads the op's that happen to be saying they are aliens respond to questions which is why they go on for so long.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It's up to you to discern what you read. You don't have to agree with it. Quit sounding like you're being "victimized" by people who don't agree with your idea of what is proper! Why all the "whining"?

Go start your own website,and you can have only what you want then!

One of the best things about conspiracies is the very nature of them not being easily seen or understood!

As a matter of fact,I can't see Air,but I know it exists! We can measure it's effects.

Same can be said for those who have developed a relationship with God. Though they can't see Him,they can see and feel the effect He has had on their lives. That,too,is measurable!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Here is an idea for you.
Why don't people stop posting crap like this in the conspiracy board? There is a board to post about the boards.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
me, bigfoot, and elvis are all sitting around having a good laugh at these types of threads.

oh yeah and bigfoot says its the internet, and you are supposed to use your brain to distinguish crap from gold, not call for cross the board censoring.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

I understand your motivation for this thread EMPIRE. Sometimes many of us feel we need to debrief from all the loopy people. If I find myself getting angry, intolerant or 'aggressive' in threads, I take a few days off from posting to chill out.

I come back refreshed and the snake oil salesmen don't bother me as much.

You just need to learn some mechanisms for coping with the crapola because let's face it... they aren't going anywhere. Where ever there is a circus, there are clowns!

IRM

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

...using these forums as a blog to say what's on your mind. Please, can we stop this petty social conditioning and focus on actual topics?

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Ya know.. I have never seen an 'I'm an Alien" thread. But I've only been here a lil over a month. That would be neat to see someone who actually believes he's an alien.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

Would you consider posting a reply to this thread when you find the time? It's an interesting thread to read through, because we're talking about essentially the same problems..

I agree with you 100%, especially about "idiocy can easily be monetized," which has crossed my mind several times today. Glad you said it.

I don't really know what to tell you -- I think the problem is the mods are too liberal about what they let people post. As bad as that sounds, it's true. Some posts are simply garbage. Pure, unadulterated trite -- and the mods are letting this stuff fly, when in reality they shouldn't.

It hurts the community, the reputation of these forums, and the experience of some of the older members who honestly expect more from the people here.

Worst case scenario, ATS turns into something akin to an AOL chat room from the 1990s, then eventually meets the same fate (and by that I mean "how many people do you know that still use AOL?")

Time for me to log off for a while, but please read through that thread I mentioned earlier and post a reply. I would like to hear what you have to say.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by killuminati2012

...using these forums as a blog to say what's on your mind. Please, can we stop this petty social conditioning and focus on actual topics?

Just saying what's on your mind killuminati2012?

Oh... the Irony!

IRM :shk:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

There is a good one and any thread done by this guy is always good for a laugh. I took his avatar just for lulz when he got B&
he thought he was a commander of the "ashtar command" I do not remember what thread it was but i told him i was dictator and demoted him it was pretty funny. But he did not think so.
Those threads are usually in the grey area or skunkworks and sometimes the trash bin, but the mods wont let us in that last one.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by zaiger]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by killuminati2012

Just saying what's on your mind killuminati2012?

Oh... the Irony!

IRM :shk:

The hypocrisy is duly noted. I can't argue with that. It's social conditioning on my part too, but what isn't? I still stand by my original message though.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
this is like someone making a youtube video about how much youtube sucks and blah blah whine.
whats with all the 'ats sucks threads' lately?
move it along already, theres plenty of bland forums to post on without wildly different and exciting claims.
google 'cardboard box forum' or 'kitty litter fancy message boards'.
that sounds more like your size.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I can help you make it all go away. This won't take alot of time either.

Log off. Give your nerves a rest, Tomorrow's a new day.

whats with all the 'ats sucks threads' lately?

I would imagine somebody didn't get their way.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Some of you clearly don't comprehend what I've typed even though I've clearly stated what this thread was for. This thread is not a blog or rant. Not once have I said I hated ATS, or anything that would imply such a belief. What I am saying is, "this thread is a call for people to examine themselves before they press the post reply button." There is nothing wrong with telling me to examine themselves and their motivations for posting. I know full well many people won't, because these people prey on the weak minded and the easily influenced. However, those with low self esteem or a yearning to be accepted can truly benefit from what I'm suggesting.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You don't get it. I only recently started posting. I've been "logged off" for around four years now, and this is my first thread.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by EMPIRE]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
reply to post by EMPIRE

I don't really know what to tell you -- I think the problem is the mods are too liberal about what they let people post. As bad as that sounds, it's true. Some posts are simply garbage. Pure, unadulterated trite -- and the mods are letting this stuff fly, when in reality they shouldn't.

Really, this is a loaded statement. Yes, some stuff is garbage. I remember a few months back some guy was posting blurry distorted pictures of aliens walking his dog and spaceships following his car. But, to play the devil's advocate, who is to decide what is garbage? You?

In fact, the flip side to the coin is the yin and yang. Quickly this stuff is sorted out as to what it is and categorized accordingly.

There are many other sites which dedicate themselves to fact and science with no room for error.

This is entertainment, this is wisdom, this is humor, this is hardcore science. This is everything. This is probably the best informative website ever to exist, period. I have learned volumes after weeding out what I deem garbage.

To the OP, if you want popular science, stay with popular science. This is ATS

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join