It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists to protect ATS - Fight the Fundies!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex

Religion, and particularly on ATS - Christianity, is an enemy of truth.

Is it a conspiracy?

Interesting that you feel the CHRISTIANS ARE YOUR ENEMY. So you call to arms all nonbelievers, INTERESTING.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
What I have noticed since I have been here, are a lot of anti Christian topics that are started more often by the atheist.

Now if you don't want a subject to be brought up.

Why do you keep bringing it up?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
What I have noticed since I have been here, are a lot of anti Christian topics that are started more often by the atheist.

They naturally want to believe but are too dark to look towards the "LIGHT" out of fear of the UNKNOWN. It is very sad.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

Precisely. Those who believe in nothing sort of define themselves in relation to those who believe, say, in everything. Those who are certain that there is no meaning and those who are certain that their particular meaning is the end-all-be-all: These two "types," in my opinion anyway, can only exist with the other. The nihilist must be certain, and that certainty is in nothing, so he or she must rail against those who are certain in everything. Those who are certain in everything, that everything they believe is the most meaningful of all, and that they can not get any meaning from others: This "type" must rail against those who don't see meaning precisely as they do.

Both are certain in themselves. Both, even though they word it differently, believe they are the author of all meaning, of all dramas, that they are the center of it all. They ironically believe they are as if God. They are what could be called self-worshipers, idolaters, narcissists, etc. This is not the essential person, but merely the ideology that leads them by the nose at the current time.

Let me add that I have my own understanding of the dilemma. In the west, the culture reinforces this type of thinking. Divide and conquer. Demagogues have done it to us. We have done it to each other. We are terrified of being the slave, so we seek to be the master. We become "guilty as charged." It is not the easiest loop to get out of. It takes humility. We have all done it, but it is harmful and should stop, of course in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
Here's an idea.
Ignore them.

Whilst an individual can ignore who they please this doesn't stop the derailment of threads.

Any thread where science is incompatible with the beliefs of some religous people ends up as a tit for tat battle. This inevitably draws in more people to defend either side and after 500 posts the point of the OP is a distant memory.

Maybe better or stronger moderation is what is required?

I wish there was greater moderation in this respect as well. When the thread I spoke of above was derailed by "Noah and the flood" etc. I reported this to the mods but nothing happened and the thread went into the trash bin called "ignorance". I was close to leaving this site forever on that day.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by Helmkat]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Simple, they don't have a meaning for life. They are left with nothing to do but endless argument with those they claim to so loathe. Belief in nothing is really a boring existance.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic
reply to post by OldThinker

Here come the stock postings:

"Here is a huge list of some famous people / scientists, some from as close as last century that believe in God or once said the word God. Therefor God exists".

Here is the last time you cut and pasted the same:

ATS

Your list shows that no matter how brilliant the mind, it can still be brainwashed.

[edit on 1/12/2009 by LightFantastic]

Oh Ya! I love this, and thank you for starting this. I'm very happy to find all the Cristoids to Ignore. Please Cristoids come shout how your in love with a man.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by orwellianunenlightenment

Very well said.
Can't we all just get along.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LifENcircleS

Excellent work casting judgement upon someone else. What a very Christian thing to do. WWJD?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Just thought of something. The hard-core type, I think, can be explained.

The person who is "spiritual," but refuses to grow in spirituality by humbling himself or herself and learning from others, this type ignores logic, in a sense. It must be emotionally gratifying, otherwise it is swiftly rejected.

The person who is a "materialist," this type refuses to allow the beauty of emotion to penetrate their sphere. They are, as such, refused epiphany. They can be brilliantly logical, but logic is only capable of running around one's universal system, one's conception of all that is. Therefore, the system itself can NEVER be changed when viewing through this lens. The details can change and get more intricate and explanatory, but the system itself is static.

Logic and emotion need each other. They need to envelop each other for a creative principle to occur. There is a problem in unification of the above two types, however. The above two are approaching from a war stance, swiftly dismissing anything that does not stroke their egos. If they were to unite in this context, the person (or society, think about it, for they do interact in society, and think about society's problems), would become pathological. A hateful patho (emotional context) and hateful logo (system of logic) intertwined. The only way these angles can unite is through reconciliation. Then, the universal LOGOS and universal PATHOS intertwine. This creates boundless, creative, unconditional love and flourishing.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by orwellianunenlightenment]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I still do not get it. Athiests post about religion just as much as the "fundies" but you want religion removed from ATS?
Like a i said before if religion has such a negative effect on you why continues to frequent the Conspiracy in religion board? If all you want is to talk to people that share your point of view go to an atheist forum. Banning one point of view from a subject is retarded beyond belief. So ban religion from the religion board ban believers from the UFO board and ban anyone who does believe everything they read from skunkworks. Over time people would leave, the debates would become incredibly dull and so would the threads.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
reply to post by Anamnesis

Nope, not censorship or suppression - more a defence against both of them. Declaring a thread a religious-free zone would encourage empirical, and rational debate and contributions.

This would allow the FACTS and GENUINE THEORIES in any subjective matter to come to the surface.

The main problem is the 'wash-through' effect that fundies are using to drown secular / atheist threads with 'their' threads. They effectively spam flags and stars on threads that are pro-Christianity or religion / mysticism in general.

Religion is irrelevant to ATS subject matter, and as such should be stopped from interfering with the search for the truth.

The Para.

I find your stereotyping of "christians" insulting. There are so many different faiths that to lump them into the fundies and their bretheren is short sighted.

I respect your quest for truth. That's why I come here. I agree that there are closed minded persons of the Christian faith who cut their arguments short with scripture.

But your stance strikes me as paranoid. I don't agree that threads are hijacked. What evidence can you show? What do you stand to lose by ignoring the opinions of Christians any more than those you don't agree with?

Perhaps your efforts would better serve the greater good of this site were they directed towards a subject that you may affect. You're wasting your time if you think you are going to change the positions of those who have made up their minds.

Get a grip on yourself good man.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Puck:
Captain of our fairy band,
Helena is here at hand,
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

-Shakespeare (A Midsummer's Night Dream)

[edit on 2-12-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Too much clear thinking on your part. To properly address atheists one must dummy down their logic to the level of belief of and in nothingness.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by romanmel]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I noticed the same thing lately. I think the reason is because they are simply trolling for an arguement.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
As I was scrolling I noticed someone referenced to a Christian bringing about "Noah and the flood", quoting scripture in the reference of a intelligent conversation is ridiculous, in my opinion, although not being a atheist, I definitely being a critical thinker.

I am sure there are many religious people that are critical thinkers, and do not confuse scripture with a logic.

I believe this would of have been a much broader, expansive and intellectually enlightening thread if it was not confined to the "Atheists protecting ATS" status, but so "Critical thinkers protecting ATS".

I have seen many great points in this thread, and some very irrelevant, unintelligent useless posts as well.

But, I must say, atheists, you are not to much different from a redneck looking at a Muslim person wearing a turban yelling "Yer a damn terrerrizt", if you can't accept people with different belief systems that also have intelligent, analytical and scientific points of view.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I haven't seen one single thread startet by "Fundies" in which they try to missionary their religion.

Christians is only answering from their point of view, when asked upon their religion - and why is that a crime ?

But every time I read a thread, that evolves to a Christian/Atheist fight, it is often started by someone who wants an answer from a Christian.

See for your selves - its only the truth.

You Atheists should start to Listen Without Predjudice.

This threads is, as we say in Denmark: A Storm in a glass of water...

PS. I am a non-christian, non-atheist but a POSITIVE Sceptic

[edit on 2-12-2009 by AUM68]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Main Entry: big·ot
Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gət\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot
Date: 1660
: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

— big·ot·ed \-gə-təd\ adjective

— big·ot·ed·ly adverb
www.merriam-webster.com...

Main Entry: in·tol·er·ant
Pronunciation: \-rənt\
Function: adjective
Date: circa 1735
1 : unable or unwilling to endure
2 a : unwilling to grant equal freedom of expression especially in religious matters b : unwilling to grant or share social, political, or professional rights : bigoted
3 : exhibiting physiological intolerance

Main Entry: seg·re·ga·tion
Pronunciation: \ˌse-gri-ˈgā-shən\
Function: noun
Date: 1555
1 : the act or process of segregating : the state of being segregated
2 a : the separation or isolation of a race, class, or ethnic group by enforced or voluntary residence in a restricted area, by barriers to social intercourse, by separate educational facilities, or by other discriminatory means b : the separation for special treatment or observation of individuals or items from a larger group

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by godfish
Please Cristoids come shout how your in love with a man.

Are you "in love" with your biological father? Or did you just love him?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

Moocowman if I where to put I dont hate muslims, I just hate what they do" as my sig. how long do you think it would be before I was banned or asked to remove it.

Well if you felt that way you would have done it and found out by now, you would I dare say probably have found out that the Mods would respect you opinion upon the actions and not be intimidated by any Muslims throwing their toys n the dirt .

Tell you what, as I happen too feel the same way about what Muslims do as xtians I'll change my sig for a while.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join