It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists to protect ATS - Fight the Fundies!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by deinonychus

"Yeah, cause you believe they shouldn't."

What is it exactly that you're elucidating that I believe? I'd hate to think that your rebuttal is hinging on any innate propensity you might have for assumption.

"To deny ignorance, is to assert that there is such a thing as "not ignorance". This must be an achievable state, and if it is achievable, then it has due process."

Religion has been afforded due process only to fail in incrementing successions. Per chance that it has not let’s impart the process you speak of right here, right now. I’ll allow your fine self to select the religion for which I’ll subsequently make an inquisition for evidence of its deity. ‘Faith’ will not be accepted as an academic response. My inquisition will simply importune some reasonable evidence. I’ll sincerely be as fair and as gentle as I can with you. I'm not here to taunt you. I'd rather reason.

"Welcome to the "religionists" my friend."

What on earth does this mean? Are you referring to a collective group on ATS or religionists in general? What am I being welcomed to and why?

"I am guessing you will disagree (ironically, I might add)"

Eh? Semantically and structurally this is just plain incoherence. Wherein lies the supposed irony and what am I alleged to disagree with? I'm willing to engage you on this but at least have the etiquette to proof your submissions, buddy.

"I would never question your right to do so. You have freedom of religion, after all."

Again, I’ll ask what is it exactly that you're elucidating that I believe?

[edit on 2-12-2009 by rexusdiablos]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
In the course of life I find the discussion of atheism or fundamentalism tedious at best and generally off putting. I was raised in a religion that has no problem with reason or science, yet maintains faith in God. I don't participate much like I did in my youth.

I would think most adults are familiar with the concepts of atheism and fundamentalism to a point where it serves no purpose to discuss the subject. As long as there is freedom people can choose what to believe in.

Belief in God boils down too either you do or you don't. There is also the I don't know category of the agnostic.

As anyone raised with faith I and perhaps others question what faith is in a scientific world. I look for answers in science to a degree.

I am currently intrigued with theories that discuss a bio centric universe. I also am intrigued with Goedel's ontological proof. Naturally atheists are there to counter. Basically Godel logically came to a point where his theorems say God is possible and therefore necessary.This proof was not made public until his death because he didn't want the criticism of fellow scientists.

Some of the new theories in physics indicate more than the known dimensions, which to me opens the doors on many new possibilities.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by A52FWY]

[edit on 2-12-2009 by A52FWY]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Here is an example of what happens on ATS when you make a post.

I posted a link to a great condensed version of Darwins work written by Steve Jones in the Science section.

After 1 post thanking me for the great link the rest descended into a religous battle between Christians and atheists.

Here is an example of the posts I received:

Dear Lord......Not again???
How many times am I going to see this Darwinian-Buttlick materialize here on ATS???

Seriously though: Where is the 'Missing Link'?
Sorry, did I hear a ' we are still looking'?
Ohhhh, I guess until then it will only ever be a theory.

As usual the thread quickly evaporated.

That is the sort of thing that the OP and others are talking about.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen
Pardon me, but you yourself sound like a fundamentalist Atheist. You are also quite intolerant, and somewhat bigoted if I may say so myself.

I am a Christian, and I defend every individuals right to freely practice their own religion, regardless of exactly what it is. I only ask that those who practice their religion, do so in a respectful manner which does not incite violence against people of other faiths, and that they do not practice nor preach any form of violence at all (ie, ritual human sacrifice, etc.).

You as an Atheist, out of all people, are openly advocating the hatred and bullying of another legitimate and well established belief system, and due to such, I do not believe that you have any room to speak when issuing the typical fringe Atheist mantra of "Being Oppressed", or "Being Victimized" by so called "Religious Brutes". You have to give respect in order to receive it, and that is the bottom line in life.

This is the best post in this thread and i am not a christian or follow any other faith.

Let people believe what they want to believe and if they push it on you over the internet you are fully capable of ignoring it.

If they push it on you in person, then tell them to stop and if they keep going, walk away!

There you go, your problem is solved....

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlylonely
funny you should post this. I am pagan but am shocked that thread owner in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

was banned and my source says without warning or reason. This appears to be because it questioned faith. When trying to question it my post was removed. As an open minded pagan I believe ATS is without doubt under seige. It might be time to move on. please u2u me your email address so I can be in touch after you get banned from this thread.

I don't think his banning had anything to do with the subject matter of that thread, but rather his abrasiveness in his posts -- He kept personally attacking anyone who disagreed with him.

And when I say "disagree", I'm not talking only about the "God exists/no he doesn't" argument. People who are non-believers (like me) were arguing against finer points of his posts, and he was personally attacking them, too.

When people tried to point out that there were problems with the argument he posted in the OP, he ignored those comments and went off against all the existence (which was NOT the point of the OP). It seems that he posted the OP just so he could hide behind it while he spewed hate unrelated to the OP. That's called trolling, and it can get you banned.

You don't need to be a religious person to recognize the OP was acting like a troll. It was quite obvious. There are plenty of threads on ATS with similar subject matter where nobody got banned, so obviously the subject matter was not the issue.

But, of course you won't see it this way, because you seem to be looking for a reason -- any reason -- for a "call to arms".

[edit on 12/2/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic
Here is an example of what happens on ATS when you make a post.

I posted a link to a great condensed version of Darwins work written by Steve Jones in the Science section.

After 1 post thanking me for the great link the rest descended into a religous battle between Christians and atheists....

...As usual the thread quickly evaporated.

That is the sort of thing that the OP and others are talking about.

You're right, but hijacking threads is not only something that the "religious fundies" are capable of.

A case in point was the recent thread titled "New study proves someones "god" is nothing more than one's own image! Religion crumbles...".
In the case of that thread, it was the OP who quickly abandoned his own subject matter (which was about a very interesting study -- and one I wish we had more of a chance to talk about), and quickly turned the thread into a rant against religion.

It's my opinion that the OP never wanted to actually talk about the subject matter he originally presented, because how quickly he began to ignore replies that were on topic, but "pushed all the right buttons" to further fuel the "there is a God/No there isn't" argument (which had nothing to do with the topic).

[edit on 12/2/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

You can believe in a so called higher power, as in I don't know everything, and still follow the scientific method. I really don't care if some one believe's in such non-sense as creationism. Their views are not going to hurt any one. What scares the hell out of me is when people reject the scientific method. The bible bangers are for the most part harmless. I know I don't have all the answers, and I try to keep an open mind.

I'm not what you would call a bible banger. I have my own beliefs, but my views don't conflict with logic. As an American, I know we are compeating with the world. Some people would be thrilled if we trashed the scientific method. That argument between science and religion makes no sense. We have to maintain caution, because if the religous nuts have there way, brother, we are in serious do do.

One problem I see is when the religous factions get a certain amount of power. They can infuence school boards I want my country to have the greatest competive advantage ( please forgive spelling, my spell. checker is off line). I would ask the religous bunch what do you hope for something

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Someone please explain what a "fundie" is. I mean I know its a derogatory term by which whoever uses it is looking to pick a fight, but beyond that I'm not sure.

I ask because maybe atheists should be classified as fundies. I mean they do have extreme fringe beliefs and adamantly stick to them in the face of all evidence. But beyond that, I may need clarification on what a fundie is to be sure.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I will be honest, I have not read this entire thread.

Don't think I really need to (besides I already have a headache).

Parallex you already have the ultimate tool at your disposal to forever end this battle.

It's called "Ignore", feel free to use it any time.

Now don't get me wrong there has been plenty of times the religious input into a thead has really ticked me off...

case in point

I will never forgive them for -runining- a wonderful thread about T-rex bone discoveries. I literally wanted to cry over the direction they turned the thread. It was for lack of a better word -sinful-. Let me also add that as a Homosexual I find many to hypocritical bigots.

However there some who are really upstanding citizens of this site and can spark some facinating and intelligent threads. I really enjoy the conversations Oldthinker starts with his deep thoughts. I may disagree with some of them 100% but I admire him for many of the reasons I admire others here on ATS. If they speak/write with intelligence and maintian their composure with politeness and show respect for others then I want to hear what they have to say.

Anyone else, well I can use ignore and remove them forever from my thoughts. If everyone who felt the same did the same then their arguments would literally "fall on deaf ears".

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This OP is wrong on sooo many levels it only serves to create more conflict thus continuing the retarded cycle of escalating violence that they claim is the sole domain of their percieved enemy's domain. People like Maher makes me sick.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Here's an idea.

Ignore them.

If you're so ignorant to be dismayed by a religious fanatic, bible thumper, 'cultist' as you so put it, then you shouldn't be on here to begin with.

This is not a democracy.

This is a community orientated site and everyone is welcomed to their own opinions.

I'm not religious, so to speak, so don't point your atheist laser cannons at me.

Anyways, what does being atheist have anything to do with combating illiterate posts?

[edit on 2-12-2009 by Revolution-2012]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest
Someone please explain what a "fundie" is....

I ask because maybe atheists should be classified as fundies. I mean they do have extreme fringe beliefs and adamantly stick to them in the face of all evidence...

I wasn't sure myself but the general use is for Christian Fundamentalists, expecially from the USA.

I do like your sarcasm

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Why can't we all just get along?! It's terrible enough that there is so much conflict in the world as it is, and then people come here to try and solve the problems and discuss solutions, only to encounter more and more suppression from individuals?

Don't get me wrong, there is a difference between an extremist/fundamentalist, and being rational, and the latter makes conversation and debate much more enjoyable, but why do we have to eradicate Christianity as a whole from EVERYTHING? I know some very logical and rational Christians right here on this forum, and in real life where things matter.

I will admit that due to our faith, sometimes a conversation can be carried out that leads to little progress in the direction of the non-believer's opinion, but it seems as if people -Christian and non-Christian alike- are unable to accept the differences and "agree to disagree". It's not just us Christians that can be immature, it's the "higher" and more "intelligent" people that can act like babies too.

You don't have to classify everyone under the same category. I know there are some Christians out there that are real dicks, and there are also some atheists that are real mean too. But do I think all atheists are terrible people? Certainly not. Why does everyone seem to lack compassionate rationality?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
Here's an idea.
Ignore them.

Whilst an individual can ignore who they please this doesn't stop the derailment of threads.

Any thread where science is incompatible with the beliefs of some religous people ends up as a tit for tat battle. This inevitably draws in more people to defend either side and after 500 posts the point of the OP is a distant memory.

Maybe better or stronger moderation is what is required?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

Any thread where science is incompatible with the beliefs of some religous people

Any thread where extraordinary events is incompatible with science derails the thread.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
We have had this nasty tendency to become the very thing we rail against. When we sling an arrow, it inevitably, in one way or another, rotates around the earth and hits us in the back. Those who hate each other always move towards an opposite, but equally damaging, alignment. Like mirror images of self-righteous soldiers, ready to kill. Pretty soon, it will be obvious that the enemy was not without, but within. Then, the process of healing and reconciliation begins, and we can get out of these painful downward spirals. It is a powerful, refining fire. Regardless of anybody's certain belief structure, it is essential that forgiveness and honest self-reflection occur. Peace.

Let us please stop spinning others in circles in order to prove that we are the center of the drama wheel. We are one of many, and that many is affected by every perspective, every belief, every thought, every action of the one. We are not the only one. We only do this because we are foolishly afraid of loving another human being, as if they will devour us. Any one of us is not THE author of history, even though this world might try to reinforce that view.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by orwellianunenlightenment]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Also, I see more science freaks, much more, debunking and criticizing the masses than I do religious freaks, or metaphysics believers criticizing.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Furthermore, none of us are the labels that others put on us. We are something much more essential. Please, we must stop making others "guilty as charged."

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

The argument used in this thread is invalid. Atheists don’t really want to exclude “fundies” from ATS. After all, who would they have to talk at. It must really be a boring lot to have two atheists talk at each other about their fundamentalist belief in nothing.

Almost all of the posts on ATS by fundie atheists are titled to encourage fundie Christians to engage with them for a cat-fight of words. I mean, their existence is so meaningless that all they are left with is being argumentative with those they claim to so loathe.

Unfortunately, they always seem to locate a few fundie Christians willing to waste time trying to “convert” them, thus giving them fodder for their mumbo-jumbo logic. Many have suggested that you can merely use the “ignore” button to screen those you don’t wish to read. This is true…but, that would mean no one to argue with. And after all, that’s contrary to why they are here in the first place. Ah, the dilemma for those who believe in nothing!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

WOW, I have to think about this one.

Are you just talking about Christians?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join