It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bacteria from Mars found inside ancient meteorite

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
A picture is worth a thousand words:

www.physics.uc.edu...

Some comments:

Even though the bacteria-shaped structures are the same sizes and shapes as some Earth bacteria, Dr. W. Schopf (an eminent paleontologist and expert on the earliest life on Earth), cautioned that the structures may not be bacteria. He warned that inorganic processes can sometimes produce elliptical and tubular structures, and that ancient bacteria on Earth were hundreds of times larger than the tubes and“sausages” in ALH 84001.

In particular, there is some concern that the rounded bacteria shapes were produced accidentally during gold-palladium coating, or are “thick” gold-palladium sheaths surrounding much smaller, real objects.

It remains possible that the bacteria shapes are Earth bacteria. Although McKay and colleagues found no bacteria shapes in three other Antarctic meteorites, they caution us that these other meteorites are not exactly like ALH 84001. Particularly, the other meteorites did not contain carbonate mineral grains. If it happened that a kind of Earth bacteria lived only on carbonate minerals, it could grow in ALH 84001 and not in the other meteorites.

The mineral grains in ALH 84001 do look very similar to the ones made by terrestrial bacteria. However, similar grains can be made by nonbiological processes, a fact that McKay and co-workers readily bring forward.

To summarize, the Science paper of McKay and co-workers leaves many unanswered question. As they forthrightly state, their paper is NOT PROOF OF LIFE ON MARS. Their paper presents evidence that, on its surface, is consistent with ancient life on Mars; McKay and co-workers believe that the evidence is more consistent with life on Mars than any other explanation or explanations. Almost all of their conclusions can be disputed and will likely be disputed.

From my perspective, their strongest conclusion is that ALH 84001 contains polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) that formed on Mars. These PAH molecules may be related to martian micro-organisms, as McKay and co-workers suggest. The PAHs might also have formed without assistance from living organisms, in what might be called a prebiotic organic chemistry. Proof of a prebiotic organic chemistry system in Mars would be nearly as exciting as proof of life itself.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Well I live in Australia , the other day I got on a bus that was driven man wearing a turban, while at the bus stop I struck up a conversation with a Chinese exchange student, I felt hungry and when and brought a kebab from a Lebanese man. I was walking the dog later that evening and I passed a Somalian family.

So if some Tall Whites aliens where walking down the street I don't think I bat an eyelid anymore!
People will only care when it makes a direct impact on there lives, And if these aliens are respectful I don't think it would bother anybody.

But instead NASA revels pollywogs in a rock! Even then there's some doubt to the validity of the results. NASA just seem never want to take arisk anymore.Remember the announcement about water on the Moon and the only prop of a water bucket, I mean the bore-O-meter jumped off the charts.

So we all live in hope that NASA will never enter the publicity business!

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Dances With Angels

Of course i already had a vision of this..... (sits back and lights his cigar)

media.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 29-11-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
"www.telegraph.co.uk "

bull# source, always bull#

NASA did not "confirm" fossilized bacteria exists in the rock. It's a rock with dents that look like bacterium.

CHNOPS

Which of those did they find to conclude that the fossil was only 25% consistent with bacterium? Phosphorus and sulfur? Both of which can be mined?

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Awesome.

This is a big step towards opening the minds of people who are skeptical. I mean, there's millions of people on the fence about this idea. We'll never read the James Randi's of the world - but we don't have to.

This is fantastic news.

Thanks for sharing it with us!!!

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
If it can be confirmed that extraterrestrial life, any life, even the tiniest bacteria and even if that life is now extinct, exists or once existed independently from earth it would be profound.

I personally already have no doubt of life elsewhere, but it would fundamentally change our understanding as a whole. No longer would we debate the question, Are we alone?

Add to this the fact that the confirmation of extraterrestrial life being discovered, not from some distant place, but from our next door neighbor. Imagine the implications that would have on considerations of intelligent or highly intelligent life.

This is a very exciting time. I, like everybody else, would love a disclosure event involving spaceships and communication but confirming the existence of extraterrestrial life would be one of, if not The biggest discovery of all time.

We will see what NASA says, but I'm not holding my breath. I suspect they will stop short of saying they have confirmed extraterrestrial life in favor of something like "It's strong evidence, we are still doing research".

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

Here's another article for you from a different source.

Evidence of life on Mars lurks beneath surface of meteorite, Nasa experts claim
www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Now is official: THERE WAS (IS?) LIFE ON MARS!

Very well: the "WALL" begins to yield and to collapse also within NASA!

Soon GREAT SURPRISE on these screens…

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
They are simply preparing the way.

First live or so called aliens and even water cant be found outside earth.

Second Vatican states that IF ET's exist they are our brothers and creation of god. Church is taking position not to lose its grip on the few they have left.

Third they find water which is required for life as we know it. Previosly denied.

Fourth they admit that microbial life is possible this could be the proof in the article. Paving the way for real ET's slowly but surelly. If microbes exist out of earth why not more sophisticated life.

Fifth ??? Disclosure ... or admitting something is out there (UFO) ...

Slowly rewashing our brains from what was previously programmed. Why? Probably something we will get to learn from our salviors the Gov. They'll let us know life exists out there and they will protect us and initiate diplomatic negociations ....

It's incredible how it all sounds like a big joke and they manage to devide us all. They wont impress us here at ATS thats for sure. Bet you most of us here that are called crazy or bnut cases, those of us that get constantly laught at. I believe we will all get our 5min of fame and say told you ... but will it be to late? Whats the plan ... Hope it doesnt look like V at all or we are all screwed ...

Fear No One, Trust No One ...

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
We're waiting on NASA to tell us there's life elsewhere in the universe... in the form of bacteria? That's supposed to be big news?

How about all the stuff they've been withholding from us like the airbrushed photos of the Moon and all those NASA videos with UFOs flying around.

So I'm not getting all excited about bacteria found on space rock when they know so much more about life in the universe.

Hearing them say anything about the possibility of life or finding some bacteria is really an insult when you think about it.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by GuidoV

Patience Guido. Patience.
The DAM is collapsing.
The leaks are creating the "first small hole".
And this is only the beginning… before the flood....

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieSlayer

Nice article. The way I read it is that the announcement may be that they confirmed fossil remains in the other Martian meteorites?

The team has also been studying two other Martian meteorites — Nakhla, which landed in Egypt in 1911, and Yamato 593, which was found by a Japanese expedition to Antarctica. In research due to be published shortly, the scientists claim that both of these fossils also show evidence of microbial life.

Originally posted by ZombieSlayer
Evidence of life on Mars lurks beneath surface of meteorite, Nasa experts claim
www.timesonline.co.uk...

Now that would be interesting.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Both articles are overly sensationalistic.

Tell me about it Phage... they can't even get the wording right in the headline.

Meteor
Any phenomenon or appearance in the atmosphere, as clouds, rain, hail, snow, etc.
Specif.: A transient luminous body or appearance seen in the atmosphere, or in a more elevated region.

Source: brainyquote.com

Meteorite
A mass of stone or iron which has fallen to the earth from space; an aerolite.

Source: brainyquote.com

It should be meteorite not meteor since ALH 84001 was found on an expedition to hunt for meteorites in Antarctica, and the meteor would never have been seen!

It may not seem like an issue to most, but the headline could be read as"Fossil found in a rainbow!"

[edit on 29-11-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
didnt read all comments, but did anyone have a wtf moment?

1) how do they know where the rock came from. I know they theorize where meteorites come from based on factors such as crystal growth and such that is barely science imo (read it..its very shaky science)

2) 16 million years ago the solar system was formed almost as it is today...what the hell are they talking about anyhow. from what my science class taught me, the solar system is several billion years old...well, the sun anyhow, and the planets not too far after that event.

this is like saying 30 years ago when the united states was forming...

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuidoV
We're waiting on NASA to tell us there's life elsewhere in the universe... in the form of bacteria? That's supposed to be big news?

How about all the stuff they've been withholding from us like the airbrushed photos of the Moon and all those NASA videos with UFOs flying around.

So I'm not getting all excited about bacteria found on space rock when they know so much more about life in the universe.

Hearing them say anything about the possibility of life or finding some bacteria is really an insult when you think about it.

Most of what you say is unproven conspiracy of course...so, consider the "real" news for a moment

the only other planet we have decent tests on offically contains, or contained life. This proves that if conditions are acceptable, life will form...this allows for alot more educated speculation about the universe we live in from our mainstream science...its like not getting excited about a high tech graphics engine when you believe they are hiding star trek holographic decks in secret bunkers somewhere on earth...sure, speculate about the chambers, but not at the expense of losing the interest in what is "really" going on today.

A conspiracy theorist should have almost split personalities imo...one dedicated to all these *theories* and one that can simply have moments of smiles in their life on what going on mainstream.

in saying all that...I am still skeptical about these findings from my above posting

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
This is exactly how I envisaged disclosure to be made, somehow I could never see a press conference going along the lines of "Hi....this is Brian, he's from Venus"

It was always going to be start off small, get Joe public used to the idea, and then ease him in gently

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
1) how do they know where the rock came from. I know they theorize where meteorites come from based on factors such as crystal growth and such that is barely science imo (read it..its very shaky science)

They look at the isotopic ratios of various elements in the rock. Those of planets would have different ratios to those found in material from asteroids. A rock from Mars would also have a different isotopic signature than one from another planet.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Next, they will be telling us (in another 50 years) that Mars was actually flooded & pelted by material from the exploding Planet Vulcan (now the asteroid belt)

and the bacteria may have been a result of that event...in the early development of the solar-system

Mars, aka 'Barsoom', always was a strange place....
Edgar Rice Borroughs Edenic world, the Johnathan Swift prophetic
details of Mars having two moons, way befor telescopes discoverd the small moons.
Also, the weird 'formely Wet' hemisphere on Mars... probably from when H2O and out-gassed debris from planet Vulcan slammed into the former 'moon' we now know as Mars/Barsoom

If the 4th planet once had primal life, oceans, & was an Edenic Garden world...lets ATS start a drive to rename Mars to a more descriptive name... the mythic 'Barsoom'

www.barsoom.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Mr Mask, you seem to be missing the point a little in your criticism of other posters. What they were pointing out is that this - if this find indeed turns out to be proof of life on Mars - it isn't necessarily proof of an independent genesis of life on another planet.

On the contrary, if a sample of bacteria from Mars has found its wau here this time, then it is likely that this has happened many times before. And it is therefore possible that life started on one planet and then jumped to another planet via meteor collision.

So while I agree that this is a massive discovery and conclusion, I think you are drawing inaccurate conclusions if you think that this proves life on Mars and earth originated seperately.

John

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by W3RLIED2

Please provide a source from NASA saying "there is no life in the universe".

Thank you Phage! I was about to reply to that post the same way you replied.

If NASA had ever said "there is no life in the universe", then why do they spend millions on a robotic space program that is specifically looking for signs of life?

NASA is on the cutting edge in speculation of life elsewhere. They are among the leaders in this search.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join