It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bacteria from Mars found inside ancient meteorite

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
There you go..thats your disclosure folks. There IS life out there on other planets.

Noone ever said they were ever going to look like the typical Greys, or H.R. Geiger's "Alien."

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Yer it's a Disclosure of sorts, But it's really hard to have rock concerts welcoming bacteria to planet Earth.

The biggest non event in Human history!
See what I'm saying NASA is a Fun black hole "Sucking the fun out of everything it touches!"

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

So I guess it's just a theory until NASA says it's true? Whatever. I'm not going to argue with you. I just happened to already believe this so it really seems like the rest of the world is playing catch-up.

But, like Phage said, there isn't any proof in these announcements either so why are you so adamant about it being, in your own words, "the biggest news to hit the planet?" I'm just saying it's not that big.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOTT the HOOPLE

The biggest non event in Human history!
See what I'm saying NASA is a Fun black hole "Sucking the fun out of everything it touches!"

It amazes me what it takes to amaze you.

Really...holy crow! This would be HUGE news from NASA...HUUUUUUGE.

You are possibly amongst the only living humans to ever receive such news...

And you are...not impressed?

Wow...I am so not shocked that many folks will just not be shocked, IF this pans out.

ME? I am throwing a party, possibly a concert and surly doing a little dance.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Fair enough...I understand you "already knew this"...as did I.

But again...disclosure of evidence/facts is most welcomed.

As for it not being "that big", that can be a misstatement.

This can easily be considered one of the biggest bits of news any living human has ever had.

And yes...when NASA brings the evidence/facts, then yes, it is SOMEHOW more important then you, me or any other uneducated ape with no credentials or access to space, coming forward and saying "in my gut I know".

I am sorry...but I just do not accept people's "gut theories with no evidence" as ground breaking.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It's funny, Chinese TV are reporting it as being confirmed that the fossil is of a Martian organism.

I wouldn't encourage any body to get too excited - Chinese news is not known for it's fact-checking.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
In all honesty, though, if it's bacterial life that is the subject of disclosure, who really cares? Not Joe Blow on the street. But if it's the disclosure of the exopolitical kind, then way bigger deal.

This had to have been the most disgusting reply I have seen all day.
"who really cares"
Do you people live in negativity or what.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mckyle

Agreed...lets see the meat and potatoes in the form of data and facts.

I still am holding my skeptic badge.

But...if...they do say...

Yknow...

WOW.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Can't believe that someone actually finds this possible news as a "non event."

Would the return of Elvis with Britney suck up his a*&% do it for you instead ?

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Great news and I look forward to what Nasa says.

However the articles timeline is off.

The Solar system is WAY older then 16 million years.

Think about it for a moment, Dinos were hit hard (notice I didn't say extinct, because they are not, they are Birds) 65 million years ago.

Anyway the rock is thought to of been floating around in space for 16 million years and the rock itself is much older then that. Like a couple billion years old.

[edit on 29-11-2009 by Helmkat]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Aside from the factual aspects of this story, the actual discovery of the evidence of life on Mars in the past would excite me a lot. Even if it is tiny (really, really tiny) life.

But since I don't really base much of my daily life on a presumption that life does not exist elsewhere, it wouldn't do much to change my world view. I wonder though, where such a discovery could lead. If, for example, learning about other biologies, would increase our understanding of our own.

[edit on 11/29/2009 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It is very interesting even if we know this already but it proves nothing. If life could travel from mars to earth it is question if that life was created on Mars or if was earlier traveled form earth to mars. Its, quite short distance in the scale of space so it is possible. It doesn't solve the question if life could originate from nothing on other planets. In fact this prove only that it would be harder to prove that life could be created from nothing in other part of universe.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Mr Mask

Aside from the factual aspects of this story, the actual discovery of the evidence of life on Mars in the past would excite me a lot. Even if it is tiny (really, really tiny) life.

But since I don't really base much of my daily life on a presumption that life does not exist elsewhere, it wouldn't do much to change my world view. I wonder though, where such a discovery could lead. If, for example, learning about other biologies, would increase our understanding of our own.

[edit on 11/29/2009 by Phage]

Indeed, if we could find life somewhere else for comparison to earthbound organisms it will be a real eye opener. Imagine getting to look at non Earth DNA (or its alien counterpart).

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That's what I am saying. In no way would this "open my mind to new avenues of thought", but it would put a nail into the "life in space" coffin.

I never expected ships and talking space guys walking across the White House lawn. This is much more what I expected to see if I "lived long enough" to be witness.

Again...it is all rumors now, and no "factual" evidence has been said to be coming.

But this would surly do enough to begin serious research into finding "living non-terrestrial bacteria" within our solar system.

I would be very pleased to have survived to see this, if it comes.

Life, no matter its size or complexity, from space, would just ROCK MY WORLD.

Thanks for answering the question. You are a scholar and POSSIBLY a gentlemen.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

I want to hear those words too - that it is confirmed.

But I'm just not excited - like I once would have been.

Too many promises, too many letdowns.

If it happens though, i'll definitely share a beer/wine with you

[edit on 29-11-2009 by mckyle]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
can we finally say we are not alone?

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mckyle
reply to post by Mr Mask

Too many promises, too many letdowns.

If it happens though, i'll definitely share a beer/wine with you

And I would supply the drinks! I welcome you to that table the day anything is proven.

As for the let-downs...you would maybe suffer less of those if you ignored all the "fanatical zealots" and "tin foilers".

I know they bring me down when I listen to them too much and then see the smoking gun that proves them to be "baseless" or "just ignorant".

Hey! Cheer up! We may have some wine/beer to drink together soon!

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

I'll keep you to that mate - definitely

I'll even drag along a nice, South Australian, Semillon and Merlot

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mckyle

HA! I SO accept, and will be happy to begin that party the day we both receive what we need to "know the truth".

See you there!

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
A lot of people (at least from the U.S) already believe life has existed outside of planet earth, or is existing outside planet earth.

Nothing better than some scientific data!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join