It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Australian MPs Resign Over Carbon Tax Vote

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Looks like some people are waking up to the crud being spewed by the anti-global warming crowd.

Cli mategate: five Aussie MPs lead the way by resigning in disgust over carbon tax

Australia is leading the revolt against Al Gore’s great big AGW conspiracy – just as the Aussie geologist and AGW sceptic Professor Ian Plimer predicted it would.

ABC news reports that five frontbenchers from Australia’s opposition Liberal party have resigned their portfolios rather than follow their leader Malcolm Turnbull in voting with Kevin Rudd’s Government on a new Emissions Trading Scheme.

The ETS is Australia’s version of America’s proposed Cap and Trade and the EU’s various carbon reduction schemes: a way of taxing business on its CO2 output. As Professor Plimer pointed out when I interviewed him in the summer, this threatens to cause enormous economic damage in Australia’s industrial and mining heartlands, not least because both are massively dependent on Australia’s vast reserves of coal. It is correspondingly extremely unpopular with Aussie’s outside the pinko, libtard metropolitan fleshpots.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
This should get applause from people all over our community, politicians actually doing something, more than just words. They may be rich already, but at least they are making some sort of stand.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Yes it has been very interesting watching all this unfold, Seven have now left, i am glad that the opposition are standing up against this Emissions Trading Scheme and hopefully it will not get passed.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Its up to 9 resignations now.

Liberal Party in total meltdown over ETS crisis

But Liberal leader Turnbull survived a bid to oust him.

Australia Opposition Leader Beats Revolt as Climate Vote Looms

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Go ozzies! I knew they had it in them. I hope this is the first wave of what will be a world-wide revolt against crap and trade. I was beginning to be afraid there were no politicians left who would stand up against the NWO in this fashion. Excellent news!

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Surprised to see 'crud being spewed' and Ian Pilmer so far apart in a piece of prose.

Like cheese and crackers. Laurel and Hardy. Shrimp and Barbie.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Wow... Tony Abbott just quit the front bench. That is pretty big.

www.abc.net.au...

"I indicated to Malcolm at the end of the conversation that given his position I could no longer support the opposition's policy and therefore could no longer be in the shadow cabinet"

-Tony Abbott.

Good on him, never thought i would see this to be honest.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I have said it before and will say it again.

CURRENT TAXES are meant to be used to fix the problems. Each time something "happens", a new tax is not needed, but the reallocation of previous taxes needs to be performed.

Carbon tax...this is a joke.

Know what happens next? Companies/Producers will be hit with the tax, and the following will happen.

1) Shut down
2) Get tax breaks (aka - do not even have to pay it)
3) Get the tax, and then pass it onto the consumer.

Now. In each scenario, the consumer (pretty much all of us) are getting screwed. Why? Well, we will all have to pay the tax, and then worry about the side affects of it having on a larger scale as well.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Just to clarify some info.

It's 12 opposition MP's who have resigned their cabinet positions.

Now the opposition leader Turnbull, who made an agreement with the government to put their emissions trading scheme into law once a mutual agreement was reached, has been abandoned by his party.

A leadership challenge for the opposition party will happen on Monday morning Aussie time.

Some of the dissenters in the opposition party do not believe that there is any evidence of climate change taking place, others oppose the tax that will be imposed on the Aussie tax payer.

An important piece of information is that Malcolm Turnbull, the current leader of the opposition, is a former head of Goldman Sachs Australia. It is believed he supports a carbon trading scheme as it will provide revenue to derivative trading desks in investment banks such as his former employer.

The government is trying to push this legislation through before the Copenhagen meeting. I don't actually know the reasons why.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Looks like some people are waking up to the crud being spewed by the anti-global warming crowd.
should read 'global warming crowd'-right

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Damn right! it's about creating a ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT - what does it take for the members of ATS to get this! There are only a couple of weeks left! Do you think Members of Parliament - like a U.S. Senator - would resign if this were nothing? Wake Up ATS! This is the End Game!

All other rants and things mean nothing right now, this is YOUR country and YOUR President about to literally sign away your freedom.

Wake Up. Do whatever you can, at least flag the thread in my signature below so other people can know about it.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
THIS IS GREAT NEWS! I'M GLAD TO SEE SOME OF THOSE AT THE TOP MAKE A STAND SO MORE OF THE SHEEPLE MIGHT TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE FACTS.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
At least the Australians didn't lie!

They outright called it a "Scheme" .. which is all it is. One giant Scheme to take more money from us.

"Lets tax manufacturing and agriculture in the midst of the largest depression since the world wide Great Depression!"

Which makes absolutely no sense. We might as well sign a bill telling us to put a .45 to our head and pull the trigger.

So long as the Polar Bears get saved! (assuming we can do something about global warming. Assuming it's real. Assuming it's man made. Assuming it's not a liberal trap to tax us.)

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Clarification - Agriculture is exempt from the proposed carbon trading scheme here in Oz.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
holy #e .... the aussie radio is going nuts basically running the names of any members of Parliament name through the mud if they are found to be voting yes

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

Knew the aussies would bloody save the world

[edit on 27-11-2009 by King Loki]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Did anyone get a chance to listen to the House of Representative Question time? It seems that the idea of world government was brought up by one the Libs or Nationals (not too sure when). Listen to how the Assistant Manager of Climate Change talked down what to what was said.

Here is the link of the 26th Nov Question time (it is about 40megs)
mpegmedia.abc.net.au...

Go to 22mins and 31sec and you will for hear yourself.

Ive been trying to follow question time here when ever i get a chance to, it's funny how our politicians side step questions and dont directly answer it.

[edit on 27-11-2009 by MrShowBoat]

[edit on 27-11-2009 by MrShowBoat]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Yer but if knew the ilk of the scumbags that retired you would know why most Australian's don't give a damn!

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I haven't watched this closely and don't know many details, but there has been trouble brewing in the liberal party for a while now, maybe this is about leadership change in the party, maybe they are serious about the issue, time will tell, i'm not too excited about it yet.

I just hope it starts some rational debate about the core of the issue and the truth get's out. Then I will be excited bigtime as it will be head rollin time.

Cheers all.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Grats to the Aussie.

You guys still take immigrants?

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I am mixed as to whether this is good or bad.

It is good because it means that people are making a stand over something that is evidently erroneous (all this global warming trash), however, I see this as a bad step because what if all of the "good guys" stand down and leave politics?

That only leaves us with the bad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join