It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Australian MPs Resign Over Carbon Tax Vote

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

You should edit it. That's the only reason I didn't star and flag you.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Here is the link of the 26th Nov Question time (it is about 40megs)
mpegmedia.abc.net.au...

WTF is with them whistling noises found at 19:26, for example.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gamma MO

You should edit it. That's the only reason I didn't star and flag you.

"Edit" is gone from the opening post. Sorry.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

I think someone thought it was funny to bring a whistle cabinet. It seems at every "Question Time" everyone gets all rowdy and to some degree 'childish'.... and we elected these officials.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chett
Grats to the Aussie.

You guys still take immigrants?

We sure do.

And we build special residences where they can stay, too.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rnaa
Hah.
Tony Abbot is a two-timing, back-biting, maggot. Always has been, always will be.

He and Minchen are going to ensure that the Liberal party can't win an election for the next 30 years.

You are absolutely right.

He's also a power-hungry, racist, bigotted, hypocritical religious nut who wants to stop abortions and believes Earth is only 6000 years old.

In fact, he's no better than the very similar smack-talking religious nut who is currently leader of the opposition.

These would-be birthers of Armageddon wouldn't recognise a scientific fact if an apple fell on their heads.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Circle the wagons?

Obama set to meet with Australian prime minister

President Barack Obama will meet with the Australian Prime Minister at the White House on Monday.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

There are those who are now a lot wiser about the global warming B.S than they were when Rudd and Labor were on the campaign trail 2 years ago.

Which is why they are in a god almighty rush to push this package through in time for Copenhagen. Their whole political future relies on it as it was their main platform during the election and the reason why a lot of gullible ill informed people voted for them.

Fast forward to now and there is no way that Labor will win an election if one is called in Feb because of a D.D. (if it comes to that). Labor have put us in debt to the tune of over 10 billion dollars, the ceiling insulation scheme has turned into a farce, they ripped the pensioners off with the bait and switch on their benefits raise, the list goes on.

Now, Malcolm Turnbull has shown his true colours regarding the ETS and not only are his party bucking but also the Liberal voters. If Liberal have just become an extension of the left, then maybe it is time for a brand new conservative party in Australia. The two main parties are beginning to resemble tweedle dum and tweedle dee with only a few variations in a lot of their core policies.

Having said that, having the two major parties endorsing the ETS was always going to end badly. People who know it's B.S need representation and for their voice to be heard.

I like the idea of an Australian Torie party. Bring it on. Couldn't be any worse than what we currently have.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by King Loki

Knew the aussies would bloody save the world

The US is sure as hell given up on this.

Go aussies!

Is it possible you guys could annex Ohio?

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

Hah.
Tony Abbot is a two-timing, back-biting, maggot. Always has been, always will be.

He and Minchen are going to ensure that the Liberal party can't win an election for the next 30 years.

He's also a power-hungry, racist, bigotted, hypocritical religious nut who wants to stop abortions and believes Earth is only 6000 years old.

In fact, he's no better than the very similar smack-talking religious nut who is currently leader of the opposition.

These would-be birthers of Armageddon wouldn't recognise a scientific fact if an apple fell on their heads.

absolutely. Any action Abbott takes should be treated wish extreme caution. He was instrumental in the privatisation of social security delivery in Australia and set up the organisation Centrelink - a "government-business entity" that was intrinsically designed to fail so the next step was to be farming out payment "products" to banks and insurance on the basis that it would then be "proven" govt would fail at delivering under the new model - the only reason this never eventuated was whilst the banks welcomed the idea of being able to play with millions of $$ on the overnight markets straight from the govt prior to paying pensioners, unemployed etc, they really didnt want Centrelink customers spoiling their corporate image by actually turning up at their branches. Slightly off topic I know, but relevant in the context of examining the motivations of monsters like Abbott.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
In Australia we live in a very very unpredictable natural environment. Droughts followed by floods, even though up North it is monsoon country.
Depending on which state one lives in anywhere basically 50 miles from the
ocean does expect to receive decreasing rainfall, like on any large landmass. People live near the ocean or river systems. However, Senator
Wongs recent alarmist predictions that all water front suburbs or homes will be inundated by ocean or river rises, is so fantastic, when you think,
most waterfront homes are owned by rich people, that favor the Liberals.

However, Australia only contributes to 1% of the total global CO2 emissions.
We have problems with water of course. Our soils can be depleted by non
organic agricultural methodology, but - farmers are working on this to their
betterment to cut down chemical fertilizers and chemical pesticides/herbicides where possible.

The problems with the ETS tax is it has been hurriedly based on global warming theory, that is now disputed. Politicians aren't scientists, and the coalition have now been caught in the web, confusing political integrity and leadership loyalty with the subject of the proposed legislation taking second place.

Australians are generally skeptical of politicians. They have ready access to
the internet to read about recent (although known by many) of the emotive
and incorrect data associated with climate change. However, if a climate
change (which happens all the time) is likely to effect us with cooler temps
and this can be damaging particularly to the Northern Hemisphere countries if another ice age was to occur.

Tony Abbott will not have the support he needs. Joe Hockey might though should Mr Turnbull resign.

What I feel everyone is missing is that this global community is polluting our natural environment, and a reversal of present energy supplies to less polluting methods is a must. This will take time. We in Australia have to conserve water in our soils, make them more sustainable. Householders can start by installing rain water tanks (that they will get handsome rebates from State and Federal governments)

I think more discussion on the ETS is required, as the growing trend of
showing up the fraudulent scientific data coming from some Global Warming and Climate change alarmists is a reason for the Liberals/Nationals division on the vote. However, we should do something and move towards less polluting energy and fuel sources, and sustainable agricultural methodology.

I am not in favor of the ETS as it is flawed. It's a stealth tax. What the coalition is afraid of should it fail to pass the senate, as the Greens party are also against it, as well as the Nationals and some Liberals, then a double dissolution could happen and an early general election be called. I doubt if they would win it either, that they are afraid of also. As the present leader Malcolm Turnbull has a very small percentage in comparison to Mr Rudd popularity for PM with the general electorate. However, Joe Hockey could
pull up those numbers if he has the support of his party.

It appears a non win situation at the present time. Mr Rudd has the numbers
but he has to be careful, that this one issue does not cause his Labor party
to lose favor with the general electorate also. He is now being nicknamed
Chairman Rudd or King Rudd (as he is a Republican). As he appears to have become a bit of dictator and also not so popular overseas, particularly
in Great Britain with his republican ideology.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
So we know where Tony Abbott stands on the ETS, but Joe Hockey? Didn't he originally support it? He was very quiet on Friday except for a quick teenage burst on Twitter asking for feedback from his "team".
So if Abbott doesn't have the numbers and Hockey does ...
Theoretically then, if on Monday we end up with Hockey in the leadership position, couldn't this tax still go ahead?
Will be very interesting day on Monday.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well , Monday , the senate will filabuster , Tuesday , A new Liberal Leader ,
Then its all eyes on liberals , if they do what the real public want ,then they are the next in line ta power , but i hope it becomes a 3 horse race ,Nationals split and become there own , but i feel more of the same !!!!

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Awesome!!

How cool it would be to live in a country where the politicians don't make their actions based on how much money they can get!

Good job Australia! Good on yeh

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krusty the Klown
Just to clarify some info.

It's 12 opposition MP's who have resigned their cabinet positions.

Now the opposition leader Turnbull, who made an agreement with the government to put their emissions trading scheme into law once a mutual agreement was reached, has been abandoned by his party.

A leadership challenge for the opposition party will happen on Monday morning Aussie time.

The government is trying to push this legislation through before the Copenhagen meeting. I don't actually know the reasons why.

Pardon my lack of understanding in regards to Parliamentary Governance, but by resigning their Cabinet Positions, are they still remaining in their duly elected offices? I am assuming that a "Cabinet" in Parliament is somewhat similar to what we call a "Committee" in our Congress. Please educate me somewhat if I am incorrect.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toecutter.
reply to post by sapien82

To charge taxes for polluting with carbon is a complete farce, it is the making of money that is supposedly the cause of global warming, according to them, so charging taxes will only cause more environmental damage because companies will have to increased costs to cover carbon taxes, then people work more because prices go up, it's a catch 22 situation that TPTB really want to use on us. If our governments fall for it or go along with it they are criminals or so stupid they should be unemployable.

It's time to trim the fat off this civilization of ours. Greed is a symptom of the disease Capitalism.

Peace

Capitalism is not a "disease", but rather greed is. Greed existed full well in the Soviet Union as well (ie, in Communism), otherwise there would have never been Politburo members who stole everyone elses money and lived extravagantly, whilst the rest of their "Comrades" toiled, slaved away, and died. Capitalism is freedom, and it allows for the common citizen to equalize and offer their own counter towards the corruption and greed present amongst certain politicians (Who would be the ones with ALL of the money, if given such powers as exist in Communism).

I do agree completely and unequivocally with your first statement however, in that Carbon Tax IS a complete "Farce".

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

Hah.

Absolutely true. I was half asleep when I wrote that and ran out of epithets.

Thanks for picking up the slack!

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Kevin Rudd is right at the core of selling out this Country and unfortunately not many people can see this. For those who are willing to look at why he could be possibly trying to sell out the Country go here and download this document and read it......he has been bought out by way of his wife getting "No Bid Contracts" with her labour hire company.

cecaust.com.au...

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

Spot on, Turnbull already survived a spill and came out on top.

Abbott and his lackys stood down forcing the issue again.

ETS will be passed one way or the other. The other being that Labour will call an election on this issue of Climate Change and ETS.
If this happens the Liberals will be presenting a wrecked train that Australians will just not see as a serious alternative for Govt.

Climate Change was a Key issue for Labour at the last election and the former Liberal Govt. failed to address the Australian populations concerns, and they paid for it at the ballots.

Not only will the Libs look like a shambles but they will also look out of touch on a critical issue.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
Circle the wagons?

Obama set to meet with Australian prime minister

President Barack Obama will meet with the Australian Prime Minister at the White House on Monday.

That will just be Barry expecting Rudd to sacrifice more Australian Boys to his little war in the Middle East. You can take that to the bank!

IRM

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join