It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bacteria in tobacco

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

New discovery shows cigarettes full of disease causing bacteria

Researchers from France have used a technique called DNA microassay to find that cigarettes are full of a variety of disease causing bacteria. In the past, scientists used small pieces of cigarettes and lab cultures to test cigarettes for bacterial contamination. Some of the disease causing bacteria also found in soil, responsible for food-borne illness and respiratory infections could have widespread implications for human health.

Cigarettes studied, all containing the same diversity of bacteria, included Camel, Kool Filter Kings, Lucky Strike Original Red, and Marlboro Red cigarettes.

According to Professor Amy R. Sapkota who led the research, "We were quite surprised to identify such a wide variety of human bacterial pathogens in these products. The commercially-available cigarettes that we tested were chock full of bacteria, as we had hypothesized, but we didn't think we'd find so many that are infectious in humans.” One such bacterium found in the cigarettes - Pseudomonas aeruginosa - is also responsible for ten percent of hospital acquired infections, and common among immunocompromised patients.

Another really compelling reason to quit!

I guess some of those smoker's coughs were caused by the bacteria.

Freaky.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Man,this really sucks!

I thought they were good for me!

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
So wouldn't this start some kind of recall? A crack down on the growing or processing methods?

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

But, that would make sence...
Every one knows we can't do it if it makes sence.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Pipe tobacco...or roll your own...or chew tobacco must really be gross, if pre-rolled cigarettes are teaming with bacteria.

I plan to share this article with random strangers...

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
I plan to share this article with random strangers...

You won't do it, their too scared....

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Hmmm... I see a hazy side to this health concern. If something is bad for you, and the majority deem it to be removed, you are taking away a person's choice. The freedom to choose what can kill you or any choice topic is truly the only freedom we have. When we make up our minds to do something, voila, we are free. I am just saying (I do use tobacco, not cigarettes though, but I did enjoy them for a year and a half) that if you take away a persons right to enjoy something proven to cause cancer if prolonged use is involved, then it is their choice. I don't think there is anything but a mental addiction to tobacco usage or any other drug. Its all mental and if the person really wanted to quit to opt out for the healthier version, then it is possible (yes I know there are physical withdrawals but nonetheless, the worst it will do is kill you and since it will kill you anyway *shrugs* We all die someday, some of us are lucky enough how to choose to go out)

Babble Concluded heh

Cheers

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
There bacteria in a cigarette, but did they compare it a random sample of the bacteria on people's hands? Or kitchen surfaces? Is there more or less bacteria? We shake hands with people all the time. We prepare food all the time.

The advantage of a cigarette is that it burns. And it burns hot (approximately 400 to 700 degrees C or 1112 to 1292 degrees F). This should be sufficient to destroy any bacteria.

In any event, to me this is hardly worth worrying about. In fact, we need exposure to bacteria etc in order to build the body's defence system.

Living in a sterile bubble is not a viable alternative.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Expanding on what I was talking about, here is some food for though

We all want healthy children, but did you know that children who eat dirt might actually be doing their bodies and long-term health a tremendous service?

Providing a healthy, clean environment for children is of paramount importance, but the over sanitation of childhood might actually be doing children more harm than good. The current germophobia with all its use of sanitizing hand gels, antibiotic soaps, antimicrobial kitchen sprays, germ-killing sanitizing wipes, pasteurized milk, irradiated food and antibiotic pharmaceuticals may actually contribute to a society plagued by autoimmune disease.

Children enjoy a natural proclivity toward nature in all its muck, grime and glory. It seems that that natural proclivity may prove beneficial to long-term health. By instinct, babies explore the world through their mouths and little escapes a slobbery gumming by an inquisitive infant. This instinctual act is proving to be critical in the proper development of the immune system.

Link to Article

[edit on 26/11/2009 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
you can tell me there's flesh eating maggot that will burrow through my brain or HIV viruses, cancer causing chemicals, radiation, etc.... and i would still smoke. " oh it's bad for you, you should quit." shut. the. hell. up. stop acting like you care. only reason why you don't want smoker to smoke is it might affect the longevity of YOUR own life. just stay away from us, nobody asked you to stand there.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I can't see a bacteria surviving the high temperatures of a burning cigarette. Chewing tobacco on the other hand. Trying to quit is the hardest thing I face right now but I intend to try, just after I finish this one carton.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

I'm sorry, but you seem very confused.

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
There bacteria in a cigarette, but did they compare it a random sample of the bacteria on people's hands? Or kitchen surfaces?

Most people don't generally consume their hands or kitchen surfaces. And even then, it is still advised that one should wash both frequently, otherwise you risk getting sick.

The advantage of a cigarette is that it burns. And it burns hot (approximately 400 to 700 degrees C or 1112 to 1292 degrees F). This should be sufficient to destroy any bacteria.

Did you even read the article?

Dr. Sapkota suggests that bacteria can survive the smoking process.

In any event, to me this is hardly worth worrying about. In fact, we need exposure to bacteria etc in order to build the body's defence system.

Living in a sterile bubble is not a viable alternative.

Do you work for a tobacco company or something?

Introducing, a harmful pathogen, by whatever means, into the human body isn't generally very smart.

But if you feel compelled to lick the kitchen counters every time you walk by them, on the way to a pack of cigarettes, then by all means...

Expanding on what I was talking about, here is some food for though

Link to Article

Again, the importance of incidental exposure to bacteria and routine expose to harmful pathogens are ENTIRELY two different conversations. Not even your article suggests its a good thing to consume:

Acinetobacter, Bacillus, Burkholderia, Clostridium, Klebsiella, Pseudomonas, aeruginosa, Serratia, Campylobacter, Enterococcus, Proteus, and Staphylococcus.

Who are these people giving that post stars?

It's like the twilight zone in here.

[edit on 26-11-2009 by loam]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Do I work for a Tobacco company? No, but with the cost of cigarettes, I should have been able to buy one by now

Funny. Of course people don't consume their hands, but they touch things, then they touch their face. The link between surface to body contamination via touching is well-established.

Do you honestly wash your hands every single time you touch something? I don't have that particular phobia.

Of course I follow basic hygiene - wash hands before meals, bathroom intervals etc ... but too much washing can also disturb the natural fauna that a human body requires.

By the way, ATS is the Twilight Zone ... don't you ever go to the Politics section?

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

'Touching' is not the equivalent by a long shot to 'consuming' or 'ingesting'. Big difference where pathogens are concerned.

I agree about the twilight zone comment. Silly me.

Let's call the question a rhetorical one then.

[edit on 26-11-2009 by loam]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The burning cigarette would kill the bacteria but the bacteria has lots of time to migrate to the butt once they are cut & boxed and before you smoke it. That initial 5 or 6 sucks of the butt can suck in unburned bacteria. I don't think those butts filter anything below 20 or 30 microns, especially under negative pressure from the drag.

Who knows, anything in there with legs could say "run! fire! run!" and the only way out is to the cool end, at your lips lol!

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

The sad thing is, I just started smoking 2 months after a lifetime of holding off. Looks like im going to have to quit, after my year in Iraq is over.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

well, good thing I have a healthy immune system. I think I'll go blow some smoke on those constantly ill tofu eating vegetarians and hippies, the world could use less of them anyway.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I'll keep smoking cigs until I get cancer, then I'll switch to weed to cure the cancer.

Smoking cigs are bad for your health and they cause death to some. Why worry about bacteria?

Whats more harmful to the human body? Second hand smoke or car exhaust?
Just a question.

loam... doing some more FEAR MONGERING? j/k

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
your toothbrush has more bacteria than my cigarette..guaranteed!

Anyway..if i quit smoking I'll just shoot up heroine..sighs

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyjohen

Originally posted by jimmyjohen
loam... doing some more FEAR MONGERING? j/k

Everyday is Halloween for me.

reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
your toothbrush has more bacteria than my cigarette..guaranteed!

Do you brush your teeth 10 to 60 times a day?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join