It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. will be out of Afghanistan by 2017: White House

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   

U.S. will be out of Afghanistan by 2017: White House

ca.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will not be in Afghanistan eight years from now, the White House said on Wednesday, as President Barack Obama prepared to explain to Americans next week why he is expanding the war effort.

After months of deliberation and fending off Republican charges that he was dithering on Afghanistan while violence there surged, Obama will address the nation on Tuesday on the way forward in the costly and unpopular eight-year war.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
thestar.com .my

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
O.O What? Eight more years? This has to be a joke. I don't know about the rest of you but i think this BS to say the least. What kind of strategy is this not to mention the way this article phrases it.

"...in the costly and unpopular eight-year war."

It will be a 16 year war when all is said and done. I really don't have words to describe how angry this makes me but hey in the end it doesn't matter what we think.

Good job Demopublicans and Republicrats you have now proven that you are exactly the same.

ca.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
the average U.S. citizen will be out of his mind by 2015 if this keeps up, gotta get me one of those Obama admin's new math books, numbers just don't seem to be adding up lately...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
thats pathetic there's no need to be there right now. its gotta have something to do with all the drugs there, the government has to be taking it over

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
8 MORE years and no exit strategy. They really meant to say "forever" but the number 8 sounded less demonic.

I think George is under Obamas desk....still....

They should have said until 2012 to really blow our minds.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Read between the lines.

He never said we will be there eight more years. As it is no timetable has been set.

I expect troop withdrawal announcement in 2012 during election year.

Obama gets votes for making announcement.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Translation: In 7.5 years the gas pipeline running through Afghanistan will be completed, and the infrastructure for Opium refinement will be in place. Therefore, we will not need to be in Afghanistan in 8 years.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempeI think George is under Obamas desk....still....

Tut tut, you know it's Cheney.

They should have said until 2012 to really blow our minds.

8 years is blowing my mind enough. The task that never ends, how true that was. America will never know peace as long as we continue to commit such atrocities abroad and (now) at home.

:shk:

--

Edit to add: Gecko, so true. I forgot to ask what the timeframe was on the pipeline. Don't worry about the opium production, the CIA was doing quite well getting that in on its own pre-Afghan war.

[edit on 11/25/09 by niteboy82]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Read between the lines.

He never said we will be there eight more years. As it is no timetable has been set.

I expect troop withdrawal announcement in 2012 during election year.

Obama gets votes for making announcement.

You are in denial. When Obama became President the war protests disappeared even people i know that are lefties and were hardcore against the war don't even care anymore because they love Obama.

Sure he may announce withdrawal to get elected a second time but he just did that in the last election about Iraq and instead he took out some troops and put in military contractors.

His job will be to approve as much war and bad legislation as possible while he has a free pass he just supported the patriot act again and the media barely mentioned it lol he is like the Teflon Don.

We will never leave Iraq or Afghanistan if anything we will wage another war maybe Iran and use those countries as bases.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

Oh, i must be getting old. Of course, he calls the REAL shots (no pun intended)

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
It is dumb to put a date on when the US will leave Afghanistan. We all know we don't ever fully leave a country we've been at war with and occupied. We still have military bases on all of the countries we've taken over.

First we bomb their cities then give contracts to americans to build our approved cities, roads, and laws in their country. Once we've gained the primary control of all the countires' resources, which gives our men the money and power. They push all aside to sell the resources to the world and hire the native people to buy and live in the cities we rebulit. while we reap the mega profits. Only we the people don't acctually get those, I'd like to know who does? Sounds like a good plan for world domination to me. Wahh!?!

[edit on 25-11-2009 by tooo many pills]

[edit on 25-11-2009 by tooo many pills]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Beefcake

There is no denial here.

His job will be to approve as much war and bad legislation as possible while he has a free pass he just supported the patriot act again and the media barely mentioned it lol he is like the Teflon Don.

If he wanted to approve a lot of wars, he wouldn't be taking his time to do so. Furthermore, there are many places where he can take us into war if he so choose to. However, he knows that we are already stretched to the limit.

It is a financial and career decision. If he stops the war now, many more Americans will become unemployed. No need for bombs and planes and parts if you aren't at war. Economy doesn't need anymore unemployment.

By 2012, the economy should be picking up. If this happens and Obama announces end to war, he will win the election.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I hope your right i could care less if he gets elected again if it means he pulls the troops out but you seem to not grasp why wars are waged and you also seem to think he actually needs to DO anything to get elected again.

Presidential elections are completely rigged and the media does the rest by pushing a candidate the elite want elected. It doesn't matter about their credentials or actions while in office, if TPTB want him in again he will be in.

Best case scenario he will promise to pull them out if he wins. Then after he is elected there will be an attack on the Afghan gov't that threatens to "destabilize the region" and we will have to stay longer and the media and the foundation controlled protest groups will simply close shop on war and descenting opinions and the war will continue un fettered.

There are actually people who think we pulled out of Iraq already because the media never talks about it.

Obama doesn't need to do anything to get elected again.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Yippie!

The end of the war is near!

PULL OUT THE TROOPS!!!!

Screw afghanistan....help people in OUR COUNTRY!!! End the bloodshed!

By the way...we don't have the money for this!!

[edit on 25-11-2009 by David9176]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Really!? We will be out of there by 2017? Um, get the hell OUT now!
We have NO good business there now. We have NO good business anywhere, but in our own country. Stop the fake crap that pushes our military into places they have no business being in. Good Gawd Almighty? When was the last just war the U.S. was involved in?

Jesus H Christ! Pakistan is next. Stop the madness!
Seriously, can you not see that Islamists see this as a war upon their faith and religion? I see it that way. Didn't want to. Watched Clinton help the non-muslims. That was a weak attempt. lol.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I hope your right i could care less if he gets elected again if it means he pulls the troops out but you seem to not grasp why wars are waged

You ever been to war?

What you see now is called a war but isn't being fought like a real war should be fought. If you want to see what a real war should look like, look up WWI and II.

Those wars you kicked arse from one end to the other and did whatever it took to get the job done.

I have said time and time again that if Obama or any President isn't going to fight this war with some clear objectives then they might as well bring our troops home.

and you also seem to think he actually needs to DO anything to get elected again.

I am not saying he needs, I am saying he will. He is a politician.

His decisions are based on polls, popularity, and VOTES.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

I think it's called "fuzzy math"
...and it's still going on!!!

Didn't we learn ANYTHING from the Soviet occupation?? ANYTHING??? We have no business there...except drug money we think is ours...it makes me sick.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
OH..2017,HUH????
so their work will be done by then....

well,they will find another country to invade...ACTUALLY I THINK IT IS ALREADY DECIDED...

[edit on 25-11-2009 by zilch]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I am not saying he needs, I am saying he will. He is a politician. His decisions are based on polls, popularity, and VOTES.

You still don't get it. If the elite want him to be president he will be he doesn't need good poll numbers, popularity, or votes.

In 2012 the Republicans will run a dud just like they did last election because it is the Dems turn now to have a President. The Republican candidate will be so bad that we will vote once again for the lesser of two evils.

I will wager all the money i have that we will never ever leave Afghanistan and to even think we will is kinda sad because it means you just don't understand why we are really there

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Sort of like the Obama supporters on election night....
8 MORE YEARS!! 8 MORE YEARS!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join