It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant serves half fried fish - head still alive...body cooked!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
No treehugger here, but I will tell you that is messed up. I have no problems eating meat and I encourage all to eat meat, but to serve something that is half dead after being scalded in hot oil and then poke it over and over is *snip*UP! The thing was still living and breathing. At least have the decency to wait until it's dead before you cook it up and eat it. For shame.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 18-11-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
I do quite a bit of fishing. After I filet a fish and remove the meat thier still breathing. I've put them back in the water to see what happens and they can live up to an hour afterwards. Sometimes if they don't stop flopping I jab a knife threw thier head.

Recenly I discoverd that if I cut thier throat and bleeed them out I don't get any blood in the meat. Usualy takes about 10 minutes for them to die.

Such is the circle of life in the animal kingdom. Humans arent the only animals that kill to eat.

Are you having a laugh? Kinda sounds a bit cruel to me...or a bit Dahmer? When I am fishing, I use a trusty old priest my grandad gave me.

Not meaning that as an insult...but kind of find it strange that this feels almost like an experiment you feel you have the 'right' to carry out due to something not being human.

Have you done this with mammals?

Interesting point of view and experience...but very far removed from my frame of reference.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

It doesn't seem like too many people are interested in the fact that those people are not speaking Japanese. :shk:

Considering that the source can't even get the story behind the video correctly, is it possible that this isn't even real? I can't imagine that you could even fry the heart, let alone all the other organs of the fish, yet it still remain alive and give us that performance...

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

Yes, what you say is valid. Before I posted the link, I did think to myself this may be a hoax - and granted it's not Japanese which I think we have established...

However, if I was a hoaxer...I think I would have done something a little more dramatic with the fish.

I think it looks pretty real and I think my initially thinking it could be a hoax was purely wishful thinking on my part.

Very best and interested to hear more.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
Considering that the source can't even get the story behind the video correctly, is it possible that this isn't even real?

according to sky news the story is originally from United daily news, a taiwanese newspaper.

A chef in Taiwan has been criticised for reportedly serving a deep fried fish with its head still twitching.

*snip*

The chef in the southern city of Chiayi said the dish - called yin yang fish - is popular in China, where chefs use it to show customers how fresh the food is.

*snip*

Officials in Chiayi promised to persuade Wang to drop the dish from his menu, the report said.

skynews

seems to be real enough.

i thought fish didn't feel pain, is it still cruel if the fish doesn't feel it!!!

[edit on 18/11/09 by pieman]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress
It is just a freaking fish people. One of the lowest forms of the food chain. It is not even self aware.

After having fish tanks and saltwater reef tanks a good portion of my life, I totally disagree with this statement. So mush I gave up my favorite past time of fishing. After watching and interacting with these creatures for a long time I have long respected at actually how intelligent these creatures are, especially saltwater fishes.

On the flip side, after reading some of these comment in this thread and after reading the article, I can't say the same about the human species.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Any of the moderators going to delete this kind of post? It's so blatantly racist =O

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Sorry double post.

[edit on 18-11-2009 by Desired username:]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It's very sad that anybody would want to get entertainment, from another living being, suffering. There are so many worthy and beautiful things on this Planet to take enjoyment in. Whoever laughed in the Vid I hope they choke on their fishbone.

[edit on 18-11-2009 by Circle]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
From what I can gather from responses, there seems to be less difference in attitudes in respect to animal "cruelty" between the east and the west.

The responses are ranging from (these are paraphrased, so as not to single people out and create unnecessary conflict),

"I dont care, it's not my country"

to

"I dont care, they are bottom of the food chain, they take what they get"

to

"We bear some responsibility for ethical animal treatment - even though we eat them in the end"

Anyone who has worked with animals attests to how smart they can be.
It would seem that the majority of western people posting here see animals as 'packets of flesh', ready to be carved up...

Has our westernised system of meat 'production', and the fact that we can buy meat without thinking about where it comes from, completely removed any appreciation of the responsibility we bear for enlightened animal husbandry from western society?

I am an ardent meat eater - but welfare is incredibly important to me. Am I a minority?

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
To me as long as the animals are treated somewhat well then there is no problem. Often animal groups take things way to far. When it's time to slaughter it is what it is. It's not pretty and it isn't supposed to be. You're killing something. Animals have it pretty good in the west as compared to other countries. Things like this poor fish are another story.

While the nervous system of a fish isn't very advanced and it probably didn't feel very much pain it is still suffering needlessly. I was taught that killing animals for food is necessary and believe it to be so, but you do it in the most humane way possible. So, I agree what has happened to this particular fish is some pretty sick stuff.

Thankfully as another poster pointed out the local government is going to attempt to have this menu item removed (though this is the far East and doubtful the government there really gives a hoot) and let's hope it is true. Eat meat my friends, eat meat. I love it and would never give meat up, but when I go hunting or fishing I don't needlessly put the animals in pain. It is my duty to see that they throw off their mortal coil in the most painless way possible.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Maybe it's time for another Bill.
All animals need to be admistered an anesthetic before killing.
Are you willing to pay the price?

[edit on 18-11-2009 by ashamedtobehuman]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
huffington post

There is a link from a more reputable source. It has the same video, but manages to get the country right.

I think the OP should change the title and swap video links. Otherwise, I think this thread should close.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ashamedtobehuman

No don't be ridiculous, but needless suffering is stupid which in this case it is.

[edit on 18-11-2009 by av8r007]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm a Hedonist.
Pain is ALWAYS wrong unless the recipient enjoys it(in which case they're freaks but to each their own)
I have no problems killing to eat,I'm closer to being a straight out carnivore than omnivore.
but you try to kill painlessly,only amateurs make their victims suffer
I bet the murder rates would drop off pretty quickly.
YOU KILLED IT,YOU EAT IT!

cruelty is wrong,pain is wrong
pleasure is right.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
huffington post

There is a link from a more reputable source. It has the same video, but manages to get the country right.

I think the OP should change the title and swap video links. Otherwise, I think this thread should close.

As requested - did not have an issue with the title..as it's clear from the discourse is wrong..but I hope you appreciate my efforts.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by chillpill

Cool. I'll try this when I get to Japan.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Love your sig!

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by chillpill

As requested - did not have an issue with the title..as it's clear from the discourse is wrong..but I hope you appreciate my efforts

Thank you for changing the link. No, I have no issue with the title. I apologize for calling for you to change the title. I thought it mentioned Japan for some reason. It was a 1 a.m. trip of the brain on my part.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join