It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oxygen56
I play video games similar to COD but have decided against this purchase because of the extreme violence towards innocent people. S&f

Yeah you should.

I mean the fact you can actually skip the disturbing level and the fact that it's literally the best game on the planet shouldn't stop your moral crusade.

Good on you.

Right on!!

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I play video games similar to COD but have decided against this purchase because of the extreme violence towards innocent people. S&f

Don't you mean 'pixels' instead of 'innocent people'?

The main reason I hear of people staying from this game is due to the atrocious multiplayer side of the game.

I have no issues with the game except underage people playing it.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Oxygen56

Ahaha, wow, you base your decision to not purchase a great video game, on a portion of the game that comprises about 5 minutes of at least 6 hours of play time?.

Some say that games like this are one of the problems in this Country/World but I say that Political Correctness, Ultra-Sensitivity and Victimization are the real reasons that society is spitting out waves after waves of dysfunctional children, as well as adults.

EVERYBODY wants to blame something or somebody for EVERYTHING, if theyre a fatazz, they blame depression and being teased at school, if they fail at school, they blame ADHD or an alcoholic parent, this in turn feeds the pharm companies billions of dolloars in funds that are generated from Ritalin and Effexor.

The problem with the world today is that people no longer take responsibility, for ANYTHING, there is ALWAYS someone to blame!
The word for that, again, is VICTIMIZATION. Gotta love those labels

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I know what you are getting at OP, with the whole foot in the door thing, but that door is already hanging off its hinges. If anything, I would call it a trigger at this point. While some psychological trigger may be presented, its the psychological climate one lives in that determines its success. I would say rather its modern societies backwards structure/ideals that creates a pressure cooker effect leading to mass killing. That and religious fundamentalism. The game is sweet though I must say.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

Don't you mean 'pixels' instead of 'innocent people'?

The main reason I hear of people staying from this game is due to the atrocious multiplayer side of the game.

I have no issues with the game except underage people playing it.

the multiplayer is fun, but they have added in way too many killstreak rewards (you can barely move without dying when the choppers are brought in, and the sentry gun isn't even a real weapon) and they added too many flashy graphics. i like the hardcore settings, where you get nothing on your screen but, well, screen.

I personally liked COD 5 quite a bit, even though the weapons sucked. Get me with the MP40 or STG44 and i am ok, though. COD 4 is fine, but too many people know it far too well for a late comer to try to really get in on the action.

I hope the next iteration has less killstreak rewards, and less on screen, pop up, flashy graphics.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

Actually COD 5 and 4 are horribly easy noob games if you want to get into it. Neither of those games take any amount of skill. = ) To say it is a great game speaks of your multiplayer/shooter skill level, but I love you anyway bro. You go kill some noobs. And btw... the level of graphics in these new games makes me say people not pixels. You knew what I was saying lol...

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Wow. Really? gamer snob?

Since you didn't quote me, i will assume you didn't address me. But, for what its worth, i am a horrible COD player. So i must suck pretty bad in the grand scheme of things. But it is ok...i spend my good money, and get a good time out of it.

I wish you luck in your search for some who can be impressed with your claim of skill in a game. There are some teeenagers around here somewhere, i am sure.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I play for my own satisfaction, no one else's. I do like to take my time and spend my money on something that requires "some" skill. Seems... hmm oh i dunno.. more satisfying somehow. But like I said I love you all... one at a time. = )

Peace

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Kr0n0s

Actually COD 5 and 4 are horribly easy noob games if you want to get into it. Neither of those games take any amount of skill. = ) To say it is a great game speaks of your multiplayer/shooter skill level, but I love you anyway bro. You go kill some noobs. And btw... the level of graphics in these new games makes me say people not pixels. You knew what I was saying lol...

Huh?
Are you actually trying to attack my perceived game playing skill level instead of commenting on my post?
Its better to not comment at all if you dont have a legitimate argument to the post that I made, than it is to suggest that I suck at the game because I thought it was a good game.
If you are so confident in your belief that I suck at Call of Duty 4 or Modern Warfare 2, then I welcome you to rent the game, jump on Xbox Live, Invite me to a private match and prove to me just how much I suck.

Halo 3 had one of the easiest campaign modes that ive ever seen in a game that popular and had record-breaking (at that time) opening day sales but that doesnt mean the game sucks.

Im not pro at either game but I dont suck either.

[edit on 11/14/2009 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

Sorry, those games are easy... I am sure you are leet at them. You sure told me, we will leave it at that.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Another post with nothing said, why even bother then? Or did you just rush your post because your mom was yelling at you to get to bed?

Also, it wasnt me that said anything about "pixels" but ill comment on it now.
The images in the game that resemble people and animals and EVERYTHING else arent real, its a collection of data thats brought together to form an image, these images are shown through pixels on your TV and PC monitor.

When one of those "innocent" civilians gets mowed down, nobody really dies.
Dont you remember when your daddy explained to you that what happened on TV wasnt real, they are just actors?
Im sure you remember, it was just last week. Well, this is a lot like that, its all make believe, so everyone can relax, there was no real shooting of civilians during the making of this game.

[edit on 11/14/2009 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Sorry, those games are easy... I am sure you are leet at them. You sure told me, we will leave it at that.

I used to say 'leet' when I was thirteen too!!!

Why are you saying things like this? Do you feel as though you are some form of amazing gameplayer and that nothing that is released these days can compare to your leetness?

I work and I have four kids, I don't find the time to play games that much and when I do, I enjoy a game that I can get straight into without having to dedicate my life to learning them.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Why didn't we see an outcry like this over the video game Oblivion?

In one tiny moment of the game, your character drinks a mind altering magic potion and then you invade a village full of goblins and kill them all.

When the potion wears off you realise you've killed a village full of innocentss.

Either protests against them all or protests against none.

Incidentally i once killed a defenceless orc in world of warcraft, he was thirty levels below me in skill and i could have let him live. I had no reason for attacking him, but i did anyway.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

lol, i played WoW most of the night and I killed countless people, animals, several drakari trolls in Zul Drak.
Some of them were just minding their own business, casting a spell on a portal and BAM out of nowhere, arcan blast x3-missile barrage, then I robbed his corpse of all his silver coins and frostweave cloth.
If PETA ever got a hold of that vid capture, i would be in a hella lot of trouble

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

You terrible, terrible person.

You do realise Trolls are an ancient race don't you?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I am currently in college for my Bachelor's of Science degree majoring in Game art and Design. In just about two more years I will graduate and hopefully work for a company like Infinity Ward, EA games, etc.

There are specific classes that we take in this course including critical thinking and other theory classes that directly relate to moral reactions of violence in video games. This is REQUIRED study. Over the course of my study I have found a few very interesting facts pertaining violent video games:

1. There have been NO scientific links to prove that violence and aggression are increased due to playing video games. Instead the opposite has occured. In the last few decades since gaming has become mainstream violent crime has dropped dramatically, I think by at least 10-15% (dont' quote me). Playing these games has become a social event and connected people from all over the world and from different nationalities into a giant friendship network.

2. The effect of violent video games on the underage market is almost null and void. While parents are ultimately responsible for screening what THEIR child plays, they take the responsibility away from game companies from producing an adult marketed, adult marked and adult contented game from their children. The fact that children are more likely to go off on a shooting spree because they did it in GTA is like every teenage trying to compete in the world series of poker in Vegas because they played lots of solitare on their mom's computer.

3. Reality vs. Virtuality is a big concept and also a very easy one to distinguish. Video games push the envelope just like every other form of media, forcing us to make moral choices in order for us to become more emotionally connected with the characters and enjoy the story more. In the end it is just a game.

I personally have not picked up my copy yet, and I will very soon as it is going to be one of the top games of the year, if not THE top game of the year. I want it not because it is violent, not because it is morally wrong or right, but because graphically and physcially (game engine-related) it stands out among the crowd of endless bores of entertainment.

Oh yeah, and unlike every other media, it provides almost endless re-playability online with my many friends who I converse with gladly while playing, I only pay for it once and don't need popcorn, and there are no commercials blatantly inserted every five minutes. (although there are ad placements, that is a different story altogether)

In the end I am glad at my chosen course of study and am not ashamed at all of what I will become, eventually I will be providing you with your next crosshair to debate religiously, morally and ethically. In the end I will accomplish the same thing that every game manufacturer does.........

use the hype to sell games.

Good day,

King

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Played it today...

There is a level where you go into an airport and assassinate a hundred or so unarmed civilians, posing as a terrorist. It is hardcore in its brutality, but a have seen more graphic
game deaths. It is a very addictive game, very high paced and not one bit predictable.
This last aspect makes that game, you have to watch everywhere. Another thing that makes this game cool is the quantity and variety of guns. Lastly the enemies you face
are LOOSE, they come for you, ambush you and shoot to kill, none of this retarded enemy bit.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
this game shows the brutal realities of war. There is a terrorist scene but it's nowhere near as disturbing as seeing D.C. in ruins or discovering an American was behind it all (you battle the american military at this point)

There are games that gory and graphic for the hell of it and there are games that are that way because it makes sense.

This was a well thought out cinematic adventure. Complaining about the violence only makes you a hypocrite for not doing this for ALL games

which makes you Jack Thompson, totally insane hater of all things fun.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

reply to post by Kr0n0s

this seem analogous to the the guy who, when he hears a girl make a positive comment about another guy ("He's cute", etc), will respond with "What? He's gay."

i don't expect everyone to like what i like. really. but i am VERY suspicious when someone goes completely against conventional wisdom with outrageous statements that have little or not back up.

Pray tell, what is this awesome game you play that only the highly skilled, unemployed, lonely, childless gamer can play? I wouldn't dare think of playing it...i am just curious what this mysterious gold standard is, because this seems like the whole "PC vs console" snobbery. You fail to give specifics and instead just say, "The game is too easy".

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

I also can't see the point. The SP campaign isn't that long to begin with, so why include it. It may only be a game, but gunning down innocent civilians for no reason is not my idea of fun and is completely pointless. Probably the reason why I can't stand games like GTA4. I was in two minds whether to buy this game or not, but eventually decided to buy it for the PC. Most retailers were selling it for around £34, but I've just ordered mine for £20.95.
. If it's your first order, use the promotional code and get it for £17.99 plus postage from:

www.very.co.uk...

Code: Use Code ZG395 for £15 off your first order of £20 or more when you open a credit account. Code valid till midnight Sun 15th Nov.

www.allvouchers.co.uk...:_Modern_Warfare_2/151.html

[edit on 14-11-2009 by kindred]

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join