It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

www.dailyecho.co.uk

IT is tipped to be the biggest-earning video game of all time.

With more than five million copies set to be sold by the end of today, and eight million in the next week, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will become a feature of many homes in the south.

Last night eager gamers queued outside stores to be among the first in the world to get their hands on the title.

Bloody and brutally realistic, the 18-rated game comes with a “disturbing content” warning and is likely to provoke concern about gra
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www. dailymail.co.uk
u2w3.com

[edit on 10/11/09 by AlwaysQuestion]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
OK - I know this is not exactly a normal breaking news story but I am linking in some relevant sites which hopefully back up why I am posting this.

My questions is this: Why include the scene where you act as a terrorist and gun down innocent civilians?

For those that do not know what I am talking about then here is the video. I WARN YOU though that even though this is a game - it is GRAPHIC.

u2w3.com...

I suggest you also read down some of the comments of gamers who are used to playing this type of game on the video site. Many of them are saying "Why is this level in the game?".

I have a theory that this is either (or both):

a) Publicity
b) They are somehow measuring and testing to see how we react to doing depraved things...another foot-in-the-door to making it a little less shocking. It starts now and over time more and more of this creeps in. Before you know it you have a generation of people who mentally are 'tuned' to this happening, and it almost becoming 'acceptable'.

Is this brain-washing? Or am I just going off on a tangent?

Finally a quote from one of the articles:

"Neil Ashurst, head of UK public relations for Game, said: “We’ve taken record pre-orders for Modern Warfare 2, and it looks like it’ll become one of history’s iconic games. Excitement among our customers is unprecedented."

Comments please because I personally find this quite harrowing that it is allowed.

www.dailyecho.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It doesn't matter what game it is.

ALL shooter games which are made in the states and it Europe show the typical "terrorist" doing "terrorist" like things.

It's simply to enforce the stereotype. People would get way more upset if you were shooting and white guys.

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
who cares? there are many other games you can kill civilians. gta to name one. oh and prototype, which is based in new york city no one complained about that. killing civilians is nothing new. just a game get over it. no one complains about movies with terror acts. hmm passanger 57, air force one, all the die hard movies and hundreds more.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
True, but this is a real new slant....

You are a good guy, acting like a terrorist and deliberately killing anyone and everyone in a shopping mall....

Its asking a question: Can you do it?

I just don't know why they are asking the question.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
spending an afternoon with my 11 year old cousin playing Call of Duty 4, was a disturbing experience. i dont know where I stand. As a kid i had a lot of toy guns and now as an adult i'm a very placid non violent kind of person, But these games are desensitising young minds to war. the games are so realistic. It's almost like raising a generation to work in the military

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Djdoubt03

Get over it? I'm not upset, I am raising a question.

You mention all those games and movies but mostly they take you in a direction where you are a 'bad' guy or viewing a 'bad' guy... and the good guy wins (perhaps with the exception of GTA but I don't know a huge amount about that game).

This is taking you a 'good' guy and getting you to be a 'bad' guy.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
video games don't kill people, it seems many people tend to forget that. while they argue about video game violence i will be having fun playing modern warfare 2

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

not a shopping mall. its an airport. and its no more graphic or disturbing than any other m rated video game. i have played the level myself not bad at all.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
this game looks awesome.
i cant wait to get it.
i just have to secure the funds, once i do though it wont be long before im blastin jiggaz online

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It's just for the narrative.

Up to that point the character is a typical hero. Then you're asked to participate in this to gain the trust of the enemy and get yourself as close to the top as you can. Most people playing will feel disgust, fire lots but aim away, etc..

Sure some players will will laugh and mow down as many fleeing innocents as they can. Can't help it if a player is a moron.

You set the game to skip the level. You can set it to skip a few levels that may be "disturbing" if I recall correctly.

I thought it very well done. The buildup of heroics followed by being asked to commit mass murder all betting that the end would justify the means. The conclusion of the scene was amazing setting off an amazing chain of events quite contrary to your goal.

There's some pretty thorough despair in that level and I thought it was done well. No cheap tricks or goofy thrills. Just pain and misery and in the end the worst mistake that you cant take back.

Besides, we're all adults and we dont live in Australia. Is this one banned in Australia? Everything else is.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It's a matter of education folks. I have a 14 year old. Is he going to get the game? Yes, as a matter of fact he got it today.

Is he going to play the crap out of it for 6 months before moving on the next game? Yes. Will it affect him in any sort of negative way? No.

What's the reasoning?

Well I have educated my children to think outside the box and understand what they are being submitted to. Just because you don't agree with what is being portrayed does not mean it should ruin the experience.

I've taught him to look past propaganda and stereotypes and see this for what it is, a fantasy game. NO matter how realistic it is, he has a deep understanding of what he is being subjected to.

The power of the parent prevails.

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
lol - a load of gamers on ATS then...

I must admit I was going to buy it as I love COD. However, I am not sure now because of this one level but thats my choice. Yes it is just a video game, but I just find its going down a strange path that I am not sure I like where it leads....

Thats just my opinion though.

link   
Just sayin,

If you dont like the content, dont play the game. If your in position of responsibility, dont let your kids play the game if you dont like it.

Simple as that. Its a video game. I don't see people dressing up as the Joker and terrorizing city's across America just because they saw it on a Movie or in a Video Game.

Why is that? Because people are not that influential from video games or movies, that claim is just a story line some writer made up to sell to ignorant people.

Deny Ignorance people.

[edit on 10-11-2009 by MrSmith]

link   

get over it was just a general response. not ment to be directed at you. in this game you an under cover operative fighting for the greater good. prob happens in the real military also

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

get it. good game. you have the option of not playing that level when the game starts.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
That particular level is pivotal to the storyline.

Also, it puts the player in a difficult moral position. Psychologically i think its very clever. Do you shoot? Do you shoot and miss?

Its a great game i think.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Djdoubt03

Thanks - I guess that opens it up. I could play all the hero stuff, but would struggle on that level.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSmith I don't see people dressing up a the Joker and terrorizing city's across America just because they saw it on T.V.

Not because they saw it on TV. Because they're "Juggalos" and have identified with trailer-trash rock that promotes senseless destruction for cheap thrills. That and they huff paint.

Not that I blame the music, if you can call it that. People will these tendencies will flock to anything they feel justifies their urges. With or without their justification they'd still be sociopaths and the thing, be it a band, game or show, isnt going to turn anyone who isnt already a sociopath into a sociopath.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

lol. I was playing COD4 MW2 Split screen earlier today with friends. It's awesome.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join