It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
although i think its kinda silly to be worrieda bout the violent content of a video game
i must admit thta was probably the only thing i've ever seen from a game that was actually ## up. i dont think its a secret plan to get people to become randomly violent
and it clearly took place in the context of a plotline.

game looks pretty tight though. they've advanced a lot since i was killin russians in goldeneye on n64 haha!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by quackers

I understand the plot quackers, the guy was trying to infiltate the group. A cutscence would have done the job. Young people (majority of videogamers) do not need to partake in the act.

I agree to disagree.

Edit: I apoligise if i spoiled that part of the game for anyone, i figure if you got that far into the discussion you had at least made it to the third level.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by Dark Passenger]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Passenger

The game has an 18 rating for a reason. Young people, as you put it, are not even supposed to be playing the game, so that argument is a none-starter.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Regardless of the plot or story line, that mission is 100% terrorism. Hell, it's laid out to you as that. I concur that the scene develops the plot and enhances the story line, but at the same time it's still a blatant terrorism act.

Yes, going into an airport and gunning down innocents is terrorism any which way you look at that. Your inducing terror on people and therefore are a terrorist. Unless you don't believe having 5 guys with fully automatic assault rifles fire on you whilst in a crowd waiting to board a plan isn't terrifying...

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockstar1102

Who cares?

It's a game.
Yes it was quite shocking and took many by surprise, but for god's sake.... it's a GAME... not real.

There are games where you can do far worse things.

The response and outrage to this whole thing is ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I'm not about to get into an argument on semantics about the fictional plot of a game. I see zero difference between the storyline of a game and the storyline of a book. Threads like this are the digital equivalent of book burning, and that in itself is far more a disgusting act that the fictional violence contained within the game.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by quackers

The game has an 18 rating for a reason. Young people, as you put it, are not even supposed to be playing the game, so that argument is a none-starter.

Quackers.... even the people who make the game know underage people will be playing the game. The rating system is nothing more than a "get out of jail free card" for corporations and an excuse for when somthing goes wrong.

"well it was rated mature" "so its not our fault".

Im going to play call of duty now

[edit on 11-11-2009 by Dark Passenger]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Oh I 100% agree with you man. It is only a game and people need to take it that way. However, I was simply arguing that the level is you acting as a terrorist.

Heck, I don't give a damn, I've played games far worse but you have to admit that the game is extremely violent.

And as if we didn't expect backlash for this? I can't wait to see Fox News tonight (not that I EVER watch fox news), but I'm sure there will be a whole thing about this....MSM will turn it into something its not, leave out reasoning and it'll end up "promoting terrorism"....sad sad sad

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Passenger

Quackers.... even the people who make the game know underage people will be playing the game. The rating system is nothing more than a "get out of jail free card" for corporations and an excuse for when somthing goes wrong.

Another feeble argument, "protect us from ourselves". If you, as a parent, ignore the 18 restriction, then that is down to the parent, not the developer. Of course they know kids play their games, their parents buy the damn things for them. Are you suggesting they stop developing games, or worse, dumb down an adult game, self censorship, for the sake of the children that should not be playing it? Do you even understand how ridiculous that argument is?

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by quackers

Originally posted by Dark Passenger

Another feeble argument, "protect us from ourselves". If you, as a parent, ignore the 18 restriction, then that is down to the parent, not the developer. Of course they know kids play their games, their parents buy the damn things for them. Are you suggesting they stop developing games, or worse, dumb down an adult game, self censorship, for the sake of the children that should not be playing it? Do you even understand how ridiculous that argument is?

Ok, you got me there
, fair enough. But i still stand by my previous comments, that this in particular is taking it to far. I dont want any form or entertainment censorship. Just good judgement and handling of sensitive material.... in particular terrorist mass murder.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

If this is the closest anyone gets to a "terrorism" event, then they should be well pleased. Most people have no concept of such an event, only an imagining, maybe some recollection of some photographs they may have seen some time in the past. The reactions in this thread go to show that even fictional violence such as this evokes the correct response of disgust. I think it is good for people to have such experiences, it broadens their viewpoint, gives them a felling for a situation that they would never otherwise experience, and given the fictional setting, I suggest that can only be a good thing.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I've played the level in question and I agree that it's extremely violent, but thats why its classified as an 18 certified game, it's a parents responsibility to control what types of games their children play. How many adults buy games for the children without even knowing what the game is about. You see it all the time in games stores, an adult and early teen buying an 18 cert' game. Would you let your kids go on an adult chat room or buy them alcohol??

Also the average age of a gamer is no longer a teenager, it's now around the mid -thirties and thats why the game producers are making more adult themed games. Do we all really only want to play mario???

To the OP's question about a conspiracy to desensitise us to violence, just turn on any news channel for a few minutes, they seem to think it's the only way to get our attention from other competing news channels these days.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

It really kind of makes you wonder though. How do people actually get into a mindset or have wanton disregard for human life. That was a VIDEO GAME I playing and I felt like I was doing something wrong. What about all these terrorists who actually commit such blatant acts of genocide, murder, human trafficking, etc. I suppose it becomes a psychological or psycho-social issue...neither of which am I well versed in.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

I will never understand why people such as yourself try to make out that if you can do something in a game then you can do it in real life. The Modern warfare games have a fantastic story line and you really begin to feel for the characters, like you would in a book or film.

I played the game, i did the whole airport terrorist thing and yet there is no possible way i could do that for real. To kill innocent people at random with a large machine gun? Nope sorry.

Why do you possibly think that a fictional action can immediately relate to a real world one?

I think the more important question is why are people getting so uptight about it? Why do people react with "omg they can't do that, it's horrible!". I think these people need to chill out a bit and realise there are far more important things going on in the world, things that involve real people being blown up and shot.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I do think it’s very possible for someone who is impressionable. Say a kid or even an adult who is picked on and ridiculed by others in his age group and forms a general resentment towards society. To play these types of games and form a delusional mindset that he is capable of doing these things. And carry it out, without really thinking of the real life consequences.

Same can be said of movies, tv, music. Just look at what rap music has done to young society. They listen to that stuff and it forms their outlook on life and how they treat others.

Like it or not entertainment plays a huge role in shaping a large portion of the population’s mindset

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockstar1102

A more apt question should be "Why should I feel like I'm doing something wrong by playing a video game". The answer to that of course is that you should not. It is the vilification that makes you feel as if you are doing something wrong. This vilification is an attempt at censorship, and a poor one at that. It is manipulation, and if you ask me this manipulation is just as much a conspiracy as the alleged desensitization is. What kind of world would we live in if the "state" dictated all that is good? I think we already know that answer.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I enjoyed that level!!!

I love the fact that they didnt shoot back!

In all seriousness though i blasted them all to bits, and no i dont have a urge to go to a airport and kill everyone.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
My son pre-ordered the game and is playing it now.
I've taught my son the precautions of playing certain games and I thinks it's wise for all parents to know what their children are playing or who they are playing with.

My son is not a terrorist, nor does he want to be a terrorists. He does enjoy gaining trophies and talking with his friends. I've listened to some of the conversations online and they are just a bunch of boys being boys. Some can be rude and say mean things, but overall it's just boys.

Has anyone seen this video?
This is about what it's like.

www.youtube.com...

BTW...MW2 already has a few bugs in it that is making it hard to invite others to play with you online.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by blue_fish]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

I have played all COD games, i just finished this one and i can also say i dont understand why that scen is there. It is completly pointless, no one would miss it at all.
Probably an experiment yes..maybe they have some future releases were you could choose to be a "terrorist" i doubht it. Meanenless!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by gusan

You've missed the point of the mission completely. Not only that but you clearly don't understand plot and character development along with what IW was trying to convey with this mission.

To you my friend, EPIC FAIL

edit to add:

Just so you know, if that scene didn't take place, neither would the remainder of the game as it is a major point for the entire war between russia and america

[edit on 11-11-2009 by Rockstar1102]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join