It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can beat Swine Flu and Pnuemonia

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by unicorn1
This is good info if only because it can't harm to try

Exactly, and as the OP has responsibly said, it is not a recommendation to ignore other medication or treatment.

My bigest problem is at night, i am waking up with a sore throat that kill to swallow with. t this moment it is feeling loads better than it has done for the last week, so i'll leave a bowl of steaming onions next to my bed overnight and see how i feel tomorrow.

CX.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Yes to onions,
and
don't forget,
the,
garlic.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Just a side note here, now that we are talking about home remedies that WORK...for a severe cough at night that keeps you up...forget the cough remedies...rub VICS on the bottom of both feet, put on some warm socks and go to bed...you won't cough until morning. This is another one we use ALOT!

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I am not a doctor, everything i post here is based solely on research i have read and my own experience. Always seek the advice of a medical professional.

As a traditional remedy, onions are great for clearing the sinuses and helping liquid come off of the lungs, they are not a cure all of course. They work like many standard decongestants. Think about when you cut onions, i don't know how everyone else reacts but i can barely see for tears after 5 minutes, my nose runs like niagra falls and generally everything gets cleaned out.

A really classic recipe my mom used to use for when anyone had a cold, flu, bunked up nose was french onion soup. I've never had flu but i've had a bunked up nose and i can assure you that this cleared it.

Curry is also a great thing to use, really helps the sinuses. However none of this should replace proper medicine, but it can and maybe should be used in concert with it.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I have to agree with you since my grandfather ate raw onions to survive the Spanish influenza, when everybody was dropping around him like flies. He lived on to be and old man

Here are some more tips which I am using

IMMUNE SYSTEM: Daily use of honey and cinnamon powder strengthens the immune system and Protects the body from bacteria and viral attacks. Scientists have found That honey has various vitamins and iron in large amounts Constant use of Honey strengthens the white blood corpuscles to fight bacteria and viral Diseases.

INFLUENZA: A scientist in Spain has proved that honey contains a natural ' Ingredient' Which kills the influenza germs and saves the patient from flu.

Garlic as well which was used during the second world war when there was chronic shortage of penicillin in Europe.

Make sure the honey is organic and of a good quality, after all your taking this more for medical purposes than taste. But if I eat for breakfast a multi-wheat beagle with organic honey and Cinnamon with a freshly juiced lemon and filtered water I know I am giving my body what it needs to fight this off.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Onions can clear the lungs and sinuses by drinking the juice.
I make this once a week. It is a natural expectorant and keeps the sinuses moving -

Cut up two or three large onions - boil and then simmer for as long as you want -
Adding water if need be - add some cayenne pepper for good measure - and drink the juice. A couple tablespoons off and on during the day. And stand over the simmmering of them and breathe in the steam.
This has saved me more than once when getting coughs - etc.
(prepare for an onslaught of mucus draining)

I swear by it. Also a very good idea to freeze this and drink it as soup if you get sick.

When I was a child my mom made onion plasters -
There were three of us sick at the same time with serious heavy chest and head colds.
She fried onions in oil and while they were very hot put them inside of a cloth diaper and laid them on our chests. It broke up the congestion immediately. I remember as a kid always smelling like onions when I was sick.

Yeah onions!

[edit on 1-11-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Onions are one of the natural remedies that are fully backed by science in regards to them being a decongestant. I still think people should use conventional medicine but it's ok to back it up with somethign else that has been proven.

Onions also help hayfever for anyone who doesn't know. Chop them until they are very fine, throw them into boiling water and cook them until they're a thick paste like material. Now inhale the fumes. You'll find you are crying within 20 seconds, eyes fully watering (unless you're one of the weird immune people!), your nose will run, you may cough as your lungs open up.

They really are powerful when concentrated.

EDIT

Just to say when you do this, make sure to have tissues handy otherwise you'll drip mucus into the pan, mmmm

[edit on 1-11-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

CX

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
That reminds me, i have a couple of jars of Manuka honey sitting in the cupboard, tastes lovely as well as being good for you.

Still feeling clearer after the afternoon of onion inhaling, chest feels much better. I'm still feeling a bit weak, but i haven't eat much over the past few days so a good meal should help that.

Thanks for all the honey and onion tips, i'll try them all if it helps shift this.

CX.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
OMG! Learn something everyday! I use garlic all the time, never thought of onion..S&F!!!

[edit on 1-11-2009 by AccessDenied]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I took a look into one of the active ingredients of the humble onion. The onion contains allicin. You'll be happy to know it has both anti viral and anti bacterial properties. It is found more in garlic than the onion, but it is in the onion. It also has anti cancer properties. The onion also contains more not yet identified properties yet to be classified, although at least 25 have been found so far with allicin being the most concentrated. The ink is below,

I think that the onion "gas" goes into the lungs and simply kills any bacterial and viral contagion by getting mixed into the mucus and building up there. The more you breathe it the better it works. Also, it is said that eating the onion raw gets it right to where it needs to be fast, in the blood.

www.sciencedirect.com... 21&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=5570b3a3505ee568825a116b2fc29288

[edit on 1-11-2009 by Fromabove]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by morelcabin

My mom used to make me do this when i was sick too! Always Vics on the feet. always.

another awesome home remedy is apple cider vinegar. Mix a teaspoon with something (Preferably organic honey and apple cider) twice a day. it alleviates all sorts of ailments from bronchitis to depression. its great stuff, they honey makes it even better.

maybe i will start adding onion juice to my concoction as well?

i love old home remedies. at least i know(for the most part) what i'm putting in my body that way

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Awesome thread OP! I really enjoy hearing about alternative medicinal cures for that which ails us. As others have said, modern medicine does have advantages as well, but a combination of natural cures with modern medicine may provide the best 1-2 punch out there!

This past week I had started showing signs of a sinus infection. I used to smoke years ago and for some reason in college I thought it was super cool to french-inhale clove cigarettes. French inhaling is when you let the smoke leave your mouth while you inhale through your nose. Looks cool and all that, but it roasted my sinuses because I have dealt with sinusitis every winter since then.

Anyway, this week I started getting the headaches and stuffy nose. Mornings I would wake up not being able to breathe at all through my nose but no discharge. All of the congestion was way up in the sinus. Then I would get a bloody kleenex when blowing my nose.

Instead of the usual medicines, I decided to try some natural remedies. Two days ago I started oil pulling in the mornings, and drinking a dilute mixture of apple cider vinegar and water throughout the day. The symptoms are slowly going away already!

Tonight when i make dinner I will boil up some onions as I have a few sitting in my fridge right now anyway. I'm willing to bet that the onion will be the final ingredient that will kick this sinusitis once and for all. I don't recall anything from the pharmacy working this quickly with so little side effect. Today the blood in the tissue is gone and all that comes out is clear. Headaches come and go but not nearly as much (or intense) and only come on during the evening. Woke up this morning being able to breathe through my nose too...

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Also, something on the preventative side. Take zinc tablets during the flu season as it prevents viruses from finding their home in your nose eyes and mouth. Something to do with viruses being unable to bind with cells dna to reproduce.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by Fromabove]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
S&F.

CX
Glade to hear you are feeling better.

How about we all post our onion remedy recipes?

Talking of Allicin, I've been taking concentrated Allicin for about a year. Do a google for Allicin by a company called Allicin International. Developed by Prof. Peter Joshling it's like eating 50 cloves of garlic per capsule.
Sorry to sound like an advert, it's just I swear by it now, I picked up a cold last Monday (got first signs Sunday night) by Friday I was totally over it and back to normal. And during the week I was still capable of working, maybe I'd have been over it quicker if I'd stayed home but that doesn't pay the bills.

EDIT: I'm going to ask my Mum about this, she grew up on a farm in
Ireland during the 30's. I bet she has some memories of this.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by Britman]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Yes of course I agree with garlic for many different things. I have never seen anything work on the lungs like onions though.

Britman

EDIT: I'm going to ask my Mum about this, she grew up on a farm in

My Mom was Irish so she most likely does know

Nydsdan

Instead of the usual medicines, I decided to try some natural remedies. Two days ago I started oil pulling in the mornings, and drinking a dilute mixture of apple cider vinegar and water throughout the day. The symptoms are slowly going away already!
Thank you i'm glad you enjoyed my OP
I got to tell you about how I messed up with apple cider.
One summer I decided I was going to drink apple juice at work every day.
I was drinking a gallon a day for about 2 weeks.
Then one Sunday , I went from my couch to the hospital in about ten minutes. that old nurse at the door saw me coming, grabbed a wheel
chair, met me with it and I don't think I could have spoken to her
without screaming like a little girl
But I didn't have to.
She goes
yep God @#$% kidney stone sit down. She shoved me thru both sets of doors thru emergency and I was doped up in less than 5 minutes.
Be careful with that cider man.
I left that hospital with a brand new respect for women , let me tell you.
Have you ever tried sucking a baseball thru a straw.
Only word I know for the pain is Excruciating.
Yep God!@#$ kidney stone

[edit on 1-11-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
what a complete load of stinking crap this is.
if you believe breating in magical onion air is going to solve any of your health problems, you probably deserve the outcome you will receive.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by STFUPPERCUTTER
if you believe breating in magical onion air is going to solve any of your health problems, you probably deserve the outcome you will receive.

and you've come to this conclusion by years of personal research and trials with onions?????

Seriously, do some research before being so opinionated. You just make youself look bad.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I'll give the onion steam a try next time I get a cold. My maternal grandmother was Austrian. For head colds, which one of my sisters caught frequently, she would wash my sister's hair before bed and then send her to bed with wet hair. It worked every time. The next morning my sister's head cold was gone. Go figure.
And now that I think back on the days when I spent a lot of time with my grandmother, she served onions at every meal. Raw slices for breakfast, and either boiled or fried onions for dinner and supper.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

I love onions and garlic. they are always part of my cooking. THe only bummer about onions when my wife eats them she farts so bad it blows ME outta the room.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by STFUPPERCUTTER

What the hell
I guess no thread can ever be good enough for you huh.

probably just a thread bomber
or he just he just hates onions. he won't be back.

I gave him a star anyways

lil drummerboy

when my wife eats them she farts so bad it blows ME outta the room.

I wonder if she knows you wrote this?

[edit on 1-11-2009 by randyvs]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join