It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can beat Swine Flu and Pnuemonia

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
All this talk of onions has made me think it may well be a good idea to dry store some now as they can keep for months,they'll fly off the shelves in an emergency!I'm gonna need alot of tights!!(i knot them in the legs of tights and hang in my outside cupboard)

Making a onion soup today....I may even pickle and chutney some

I'm also going to try something i never have before.....

STINGING NETTLES!

Apparently they're better in the spring,but i've noticed alot of new growth here in my garden so,i'll take my chances

Heres some info on the stinging nettle:
www.herballegacy.com...

www.umm.edu...

Sounds like good stuff!
Anyone here use it for culinary and/or medicinal purposes?

[edit on 3-11-2009 by TheLily]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Wow, very interesting post..thank you for sharing, its certainly something i will remember to try when the need to arises

My father has always sworn onions keep one from getting cancer if eaten regularly.. raw of course..

CX

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I also made my first ever French onion soup yesterday after reading this thread, absoloutely gorgeous it was.

So not only am i still clear, i have learnt a new recipe too.

CX.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
S&F This is some great information. Ive heard of this before from some of the old timers yet. I dont get sick too much but i do eat onions ever so often like in food and what not. When i get sick ill be sure to try this. There is alot of things out there that is good for ya. For example: Apple Cider Vinegar.. Hmm imagine that with the onions. I think there is a actual thing called thieves oil i know its used in spells or something but i think people use it also for ailments?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
You can beat Swine Flu and Pnuemonia

No vaccines definetly

It's both onions and garlic actually. Eat them and you will beat the Swine Flu in no time.

Peace,
Mulder

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Spooky Fox Mulder

It's both onions and garlic actually

garlic will not have the affect on the lungs like the onions. You can say garlic and onions or strawberrys and onions orange juice and onions.

The onions have got to be there.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Yes! Hot French onionsoup tastes great when your sick! and it's quite easy to make as well!

But if you eat to much, you'll get terrible gases!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I also made my first ever French onion soup yesterday after reading this thread, absoloutely gorgeous it was.

So good to here you are doing better now CX. Thank you, your input
here is greatly appreciated.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Have you seen this? You and CX are now famous!

Some posters are adding their own twists, such as chopping or boiling the onion and inhaling it with a towel over the head. "You sir are a saviour," wrote one on the Web site abovetopsecret.com. "Me and my 13 month old daughter have been sick for a week. Boiled some onions and left them on the coffee table for an hour, she is now walking around and I feel so much better. Thanks."

Wall Street Journal

[edit on 3-11-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Some posters are adding their own twists, such as chopping or boiling the onion and inhaling it with a towel over the head. "You sir are a saviour," wrote one on the Web site abovetopsecret.com. "Me and my 13 month old daughter have been sick for a week. Boiled some onions and left them on the coffee table for an hour, she is now walking around and I feel so much better. Thanks
reply to post by LadySkadi

Did you just happen across this Sksdi.
I ouess now I should be on the look out for the Dept. of home land security
now that I'm an
Herbal terrorist.
Funny how they jump right on anything that might screw there plan
for depop.
We are definetly being monitered.

+19 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Ya, spotted it this a.m. (however, I'm not the only one who did, there is an ATS thread up now too!) I love how the article tries to both debunk and promote natural health care, simultaneously. First let's talk about how it's all urban legend and then second let's talk about herbal medicine going back years and years...

S~

p.s. Is the WSJ just monitoring Google now, or what?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I don't know if I should lock n load or go buy a new blazer for T.V.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
oops, lost my link... be back if I can find it again...
Doh!
Carry on...

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Just found this while trawling, basically " treated sewage " from Tamiflu patients is
being released back into rivers

"Concerns are now building that birds, which are natural influenza carriers, are being exposed to waterborne residues of Tamiflu’s active form and might develop and spread drug-resistant strains of seasonal and avian flu".

please move if wrong thread...

CX

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by randyvs

Have you seen this? You and CX are now famous!

Some posters are adding their own twists, such as chopping or boiling the onion and inhaling it with a towel over the head. "You sir are a saviour," wrote one on the Web site abovetopsecret.com. "Me and my 13 month old daughter have been sick for a week. Boiled some onions and left them on the coffee table for an hour, she is now walking around and I feel so much better. Thanks."

Wall Street Journal

Lol how cool is that?

As for being a herbal terrorist, that comment made me chuckle.

CX.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

You should maybe take a look at this.
Above Top Secret

CX

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by CX

You should maybe take a look at this.
Above Top Secret

Thanks for that link.

That article would be almost laughable if it were not so serious.

What are they going to do, ban onions?

As a side note to the ongoing positive effect of my attempt at the onion remedy, today i boiled some chopped onion and garlic in a saucepan for a while, then poured a cup of the hot water into a cup and drank it. I have done this twice today and my breathing has never felt clearer.

Yes i know what you are going to say, doesn't it taste foul? Nope, i thought of that and added a drop of the kids lemon squash drink to it, it tastes just like a hot lemon drink.

CX.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by spartan1337
I dont get it, can someone explain how do you set up the onion so it helps you?

Ingesting onions (and garlic) can assist the immune system as both substances have antimicrobial properties.

Once these compounds are converted to gas... They become a different (non-helpful substance).

Eat lots of onions if you think that will help, perhaps it will. The whole onion-gas anti-microbial fog thing is nonsense though.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

You have the wrong idea my friend

The whole onion-gas anti-microbial fog thing is nonsense though.

Nobody said anything about microbial fog. Why do keep wandering onto this thread like some drunk down an alley way? If you' re refering to
letting the 1/2 an onion in water and let the water evap. That just keeps you constantly breathing the fumes. Are you just being willfully dense?
I'm really sorry but there is no bad information on this thread.
No matter how hard you look it isn't here

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

There's no scientific basis for this old wives' tale, which dates at least as far back as the 1500s, when it was believed that distributing raw onions around a residence guarded against the bubonic plague. This was long before germs were discovered, of course, and a prevalent theory held that contagious diseases were spread by miasma, or "noxious air." It was apparently believed that onions, whose absorbent qualities had been well known since ancient times, could cleanse the air by trapping harmful odors.

"When a home was visited by the plague," writes Lee Pearson in Elizabethans at Home (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1957), "slices of onion were laid on plates throughout the house and not removed till ten days after the last case had died or recovered. Since onions, sliced, were supposed to absorb elements of infection, they were also used in poultices to draw out infection."

In the ensuing centures the technique remained a staple of folk medicine, with application not only as a preventative for the plague, but to ward off all kinds of epidemic diseases, including smallpox, influenza, and other "infectious fevers." It even outlasted the concept of miasma, which began to give way to the germ theory of infectious disease in the late 1800s.

This transition is illustrated by passages from two different 19th-century texts, one of which claims that sliced onions will absorb a "poisonous atmosphere," while the other says onions can absorb "all the germs" in a sickroom.

"Whenever and wherever a person is suffering from any infectious fever," we read in Duret's Practical Household Cookery, published in 1891, "let a peeled onion be kept on a plate in the room of the patient. No one will ever catch the disease, provided the said onion be replaced every day by one freshly peeled, as then it will have absorbed the whole of the poisonous atmosphere of the room, and become black."

"It has been repeatedly observed that an onion patch in the immediate vicinity of a house acts as a shield against the pestilence," states the Western Dental Review, published in 1887. "Sliced onions in a sick room absorb all the germs and prevent contagion."

There is, of course, no more scientific basis for the belief that onions absorb all the germs in a room than for the belief that they rid the air of "poisons."

urbanlegends.about.com...

Ingesting onions can have a beneficial effect however:

Read on for the six foods La Puma says should be in your flu season diet.

Quercetin Powerhouse Produce: Apples, Onions, Broccoli, and Tomatoes

Quercetin is one of many thousands of flavonoids—substances that are responsible for plants' colors, as well as many of their health benefits. La Puma says that in research performed on mice, stressful exercise increased flu susceptibility but quercetin canceled out the negative effects. The same illness-fighting results were found in a study on cyclists, La Puma says, citing a study from Appalachian State University in Boone, N.C. Quercetin is also believed to aid in disease prevention thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties (to learn more about inflammation, read our feature on the Anti-Inflammatory Diet). So load up on quercetin-packed produce, including apples, onions, broccoli, and tomatoes. Tip: When buying tomatoes, consider choosing organic, which La Puma says have higher levels of quercetin than conventionally grown ones (the same is true for lycopene in tomatoes).

www.epicurious.com...

[edit on 11/3/2009 by clay2 baraka]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join