It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Number of victims to unknown virus growing! State of emergency to be imposed in Ukraine?

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
People out here are going crazy, especially us foreigners who live in Ukraine. ALL foreign European students have left. The rest of the Asians are planning on leaving and so am I. Especially after the news that the Flu has reached our hostel and people are sick with it. God help us...

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by asen_y2k

Hey Asen,

Sorry to hear that
...could you give us good sit rep and sum it up, what is going on there, how's the situation, what is the mood of the people, is it all just speculation and rumors (they tend to get big wings in situations like that and they do that fast). Army in the street, police restricting movements, hospitals flooding up ? ..you know, anything what would tell us the big picture.

Thanks
..and take care!

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Luppakorva

Yes but isn't it odd there is NOTHING at all about it in the news ? Not even on foreign webpages in google news. We don't know what might be going on over there...death rates, etc....I'm just curious, not meaning to scare monger. 40,000 cases in just one week is ALOT and now over in the Ukraine reports of nearly 100,000 people with it in just as short a space of time.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gordi The Drummer

Originally posted by dreamseeker

"...If you look at this link, www.cdc.gov... you will 530 out of 2,916 are lab confirmed as flu. You will see how confusing the whole mess is.l
This is why I am looking to the Ukrarine because in the USA we may have a similair situation that they are hiding from us. It may not be as extreme but a 500 spike in deaths,(in a week), is need to be concerned."

Hi Dreamseeker,
My understanding of the figures that you linked to, is that the figure of 530 deaths, is a cumulative total, over an eight week period from August 30th to October 24th.

We have an even more confusing situation in the UK, where the "official" swine flu infection rates are NOT based on actual Lab reults, but on "expert" predictions!

In terms of "confirmed" swine flu deaths, since June there have been 137 confirmed H1N1 swine flu deaths in the UK (with a population of 61.4 million!)
Link to NHS Website

I'll repeat that - 137 deaths since June, from a population of 61,400,000.

I don't think I'll be hitting the panic button just yet.

G

I just thought it was odd when I checked the numbers last week there 2,400 dead know it is 2,916. When I spoke with CDC the lady said only some were H1N1. (530) The others were unknown.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Luppakorva

Hey Asen,

Sorry to hear that
...could you give us good sit rep and sum it up, what is going on there, how's the situation, what is the mood of the people, is it all just speculation and rumors (they tend to get big wings in situations like that and they do that fast). Army in the street, police restricting movements, hospitals flooding up ? ..you know, anything what would tell us the big picture.

Thanks
..and take care!

Situation here is very bad, people are so scared that no one is leaving the room without masks. Students at my university are also sick and at the hospital, there are no medicines at the shops. Disinfectant are being sprayed in the streets. Streets are mostly vacant. Police and sometimes Berkut can be seen patrolling. All foreign students have left Ukraine, except the ones who live far away...(including me), but we are also planning on leaving. Hostels don't have basic amenities like hot water, proper heating. Its also very cold. Most people I know are sneezing and coughing, including me for the last 1 week. All I have are strepcils...
Hospitals here are big so no shortages of beds but there are shortages in medicines. Tamiflu I heard came in today. Few people have it and if anyone gets sick, they are being told to get it from them and NOT go to the hospital. Doctors tell us this virus is more virulent than the regular swine flu. Kills in 3 days. And its has a much higher mortality rate. This I heard from doctors from our therapy dept before our university closed(I am a medical student BTW) Now, we have no contact with any teachers or for that matter any officials at the University as we have been forbidden to get out of the room.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

I agree about that with you. It is indeed worrying in a way, then again it really makes me wonder. First the msm is yelling out loud every case when someone coughs to be H1N1 and tells people to run and hide, duck and cover etc etc ...now suddenly complete silence then? Sounds weird.

I know it's infecting more and more people, there seems to be reports in just about every country in Europe that it's getting worse, still ..haven't read from that many dead people. It's starting to be best time for normal yearly influenzas as well as autumn is coming.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I think it is very upsetting for Urkarine to have one death from swine flu to suddenly 48 and many due to unknown. It seems it is in a smaller area. How many people are effected? I just have a feeling this may start happening in other countries as well.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

the number of infections in Belgium are not worse then in other countries. Besides, they only have a selected list of house md's who register infected patients and then they calculate the estimated amount of infections. so chances are that those numbers are way off.
It's a good thing that most European schools have fall vacation and schools will be closed for a week.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Hey asen,
Thanks for giving us some information. Good luck to you. Is it going to be difficult for you to get out of the Ukraine?

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Damn
Sounds like the situation is getting from bad to worse and fast. When did you heard about the first cases and when it all started? About the people in the hospitals ...can you contact any of your friends who are in there?

Hope you're doing alright still!

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by asen_y2k
People out here are going crazy, especially us foreigners who live in Ukraine. ALL foreign European students have left. The rest of the Asians are planning on leaving and so am I. Especially after the news that the Flu has reached our hostel and people are sick with it. God help us...

So where is "home" for you?

Unfortunately, the quarantine (sp) rules I've seen don't keep people from leaving and infecting the rest of the world. Rather ignoble concept there isn't it?

I loved the stories on that Eyam England link somebody gave toward the beginning of this thread. The world isn't the same as it was 4-5 hundred years ago though.

Good luck on your trip home and let us know how it goes. Take care!

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

I think those deaths can't be confirmed to be killed by H1N1 yet ...so many of us go down from "ordinary" flu related illnesses in the end.

No reason to panic but of course it all sounds very concerning.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I have no idea will they let me out of Ukraine. I will have to leave by flight. All my friends left by road before the closure of the borders.
I first heard of this on the 28th when my Physiology teacher rushed into the class and opened all the windows telling us that 3 people died mysteriously of a flu in the morning in our hospital. She explained us to keep the rooms ventilated and over that it was freezing outside
We all thought oh well must be nothing serious, and made jokes about it... And the next day University shut down pending further notice. This was before the 3 weeks closure announcement by the govt. All the med stores were flooded by people who wanted medicines and masks. Soon they ran out of everything
I am from India, and was there when swine flu 1st struck there. So I had bought 2 N95 masks with me... But its different in Ukraine than in India. Its seems much worse here even though the country is sparsely populated...What luck...I was in India when it struck there and now here....still alive though

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Did they close the borders already? I'm wondering since I can't find anything from any other news source.

MSM everywhere is silent.

[edit on 31-10-2009 by Luppakorva]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
here is a site I found through google called 'the flu case dot com" (I appologize if it was posted before)
theflucase.com... osed-in-ukraine&catid=3%3Anewsflash&lang=en

not much news on that side, except for the comments, like this one who seems to be from a writer from that area

irina 2009-10-31 11:53:28
It does look there is some kind of pneumonic plague here, but officials say "dont spread the rumors, its only a swine flu"
I imagine what panic would have emerged if they said "its a pneumonic plague, guys"
Doctors already said such pneumonia that kills people in 3 days is not a flu complication, its something they had never seen before
So far, nobody is talking emergency declaration
Although government already ordered quarantines, prohibited mass gatherings (so if u want to protest smth - u cant), and restricted travelling "without special need" between the regions to curb the spread of virus, which, i must say, sort of makes sense, cause once the epidemic was declared in Ternopil region people stormed railway station to get out of there to other regions.
The World HARM Organization representatives come on Monday.
About face masks and antiviral drugs - theyre absent in pharmacies even here, near Kiev, since yesterday morning.
Government announced the supply of masks to all regions one of its first priorities.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Now wait a minute!

Think about it. This H1N1 vaccine, it does pretty much kill your immune system for the next 1 or 2 weeks after you take the shot, right?

So IF this is not H1N1, it spreads like a wildfire amongst those who are taking the vaccine, compared to those with "normal" immune system on place.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
A closed meeting has been held in Ivano-Frankivsk, at which participants agreed that epidemic of the so-called “pneumonic plague” is being spread throughout Ukraine. But the problem is its form is unknown, it is ATYPICAL nobody knows how to treat it.

PNEUMONIC PLAGUE has an acute course than other forms, over and is accompanied by a very high mortality rate. The incubation period of primary pneumonic plague rarely exceeds more than 1-4 days. It begins, as a rule, suddenly - with shivering, fever, headache, myalgia, weakness, nausea. The symptoms of pneumonia - cough with phlegm, chest pain, shortness of breath - usually appear on the second day of the disease. Blood spitting, growing respiratory disorders, heart failure, respiratory failure, shock are being observed. In primary pneumonic plague phlegm usually is watery or mucinous, foamy, with blood or visibly bloody.

Source: blogs.healthfreedomalliance.org...

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ahemot

Damn... Even I wouldn't panic about this and as many hear say it's just propaganda, I would say...

...This is NOT looking good.

Thank you for the link, starred

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by asen_y2k
I have no idea will they let me out of Ukraine. I will have to leave by flight. All my friends left by road before the closure of the borders.
I first heard of this on the 28th when my Physiology teacher rushed into the class and opened all the windows telling us that 3 people died mysteriously of a flu in the morning in our hospital. She explained us to keep the rooms ventilated and over that it was freezing outside
We all thought oh well must be nothing serious, and made jokes about it... And the next day University shut down pending further notice. This was before the 3 weeks closure announcement by the govt. All the med stores were flooded by people who wanted medicines and masks. Soon they ran out of everything
I am from India, and was there when swine flu 1st struck there. So I had bought 2 N95 masks with me... But its different in Ukraine than in India. Its seems much worse here even though the country is sparsely populated...What luck...I was in India when it struck there and now here....still alive though

Are you getting sick? What about people around you. Do you just stay in? How do you get food?

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
OK latest....
just went out to get some medicines and talk to some people.
At the med store-

No masks,
no vit C,
no Thermometers,
no cold meds,
no antivirals

Got to know I can't leave Ukraine even if I wanted. Airports have been sealed.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join