It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's Largest Pyramid Discovered @ Lost Mayan City Of Mirador Guatemala

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
The freeze interests me. Its made up of 2 biggish carved stucco panels and these are the earliest known representation of the Mayan creation myth, 2300 years old.
Well known Mayan myhtology is polluted. Most refer the Popol Vuh (16th century) but the Mayan history is embedded with Spanish Catholic overtones. This freeze is really exciting as it predates any other representations of the myth by at least 1000 years, and is orthodox Mayan belief (depending on how we interpret it)

The Freezes have images of gods, heroes, monsters. The twin brothers retrieving their Old man's head by swimming through the underworld....and que the ATS fringe Atlantis connections.

I will link Hanson's work on the site

Exciting stuff

EDIT to add the list of his research papers and books

www.miradorbasin.com...

[edit on 25-10-2009 by zazzafrazz]

This fringe is qued, and awaiting "Atlantis connections".

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
This is interesting, but not for the obvious reasons.

First of all, this pyramid has not recently been discovered. There has been tourist treks going on for several years now (check this blog or this blog from 2007 for example). Its nothing new about it. Why is CNN bringing attention to it as something new?

Its almost like they want the mainstream people to start getting interested in the Mayan culture. Hollywood movies such as The Fountain and Apocalypto both are about this culture in a way.

Im not sure about their reasons, Im just finding it odd that this is news in 2009.

[edit on 25-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I know CNN is bull#ting when it says that there are hundreds of pyramids in the Guatamala rain forest to be discovered.

I have a good friend who lived in Guatamala until he was 20, and served in a militia regime who did nothing but patrol the rainforest and drug trafficing. Guatamala, in my opinion and his, is run but nothing but Cartels and drug money. They know every inch of rainforest in their territory. There is nothing to be discovered anymore in this world, except maybe in Antartica.

[edit on 25-10-2009 by xynephadyn]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
This is interesting, but not for the obvious reasons.

First of all, this pyramid has not recently been discovered. There has been tourist treks going on for several years now (check this blog or this blog from 2007 for example). Its nothing new about it. Why is CNN bringing attention to it as something new?

Its almost like they want the mainstream people to start getting interested in the Mayan culture. Hollywood movies such as The Fountain and Apocalypto both are about this culture in a way.

Im not sure about their reasons, Im just finding it odd that this is news in 2009.

You are right Copernicus, El Mirador is not new and these pyramids have been know for more than 50 years. Something tells me that this Hansen guy is promoting his theories with the help of the MSM in concordance with the marketing plan of the 2012 film which will be coming out next month.

Btw, the marketing behind this film is absolutely genius. I expect they are going to make at least a billion dollars with it. I'll be watching the numbers of that opening weekend but I'd expect at least 70 millions.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

Of course they are. Its the typical crap you see every day. Lets pick their story apart:

"She travelled to Mirador and came back with an amazing story" - What story? There is no story since this has not been news for years.

"Im officially a archeology geek" - Then why doesnt she know that the worlds largest pyramid is not news anymore?

"First TV camera in the world to shoot the pyramid" - Lies. Plenty of pictures on the web already.

I dont watch mainstream media and clips like these convinces me Im not missing anything.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by townio

Yeah that could be a possible motive for this. Interesting.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Lot of exploring left to do on this planet. I have been looking forward to what is found under all the ice that is melting from the poles, especially Antarctica.

As for new discoveries like this , it allways takes a few years before the news gets out about it. Gives time to secure the site. You don't want to go running into town screaming " I found Gold".

cool post

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
This is incredible! and the view!
S&F'd, I do hope this goes somewhere

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I'm curious about the statement that there are 'possiblly' hundreds of sites left undiscovered. It's early in the morning and I need at least one more coffee to start a full search, however with the help of NASA researchers have generated a map of South America to locate ALL of these sites.

The map was generated using the absorbtion of lightwaves by the jungle canopy. The now overgrown areas have a distinctly different appearence (can't remember at the moment if it's UV or IR, again...coffee) when viewed by specific instruments from space. This is due to the minerals absorbed by plants from the construction materials versus natural sites.

To the best of my knowledge the accuracy has been 100%.

I can see the claim that these areas are newly discovered because it took time for someone to actually get to the area, but the researchers have a massive headstart compared to previous generations of investigators.

Still, it's nice to see that research is on-going and that the announcement of discoveries can beat out the day to day sensationalism that has become the MSM.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
That's cool even if it's been known for awhile,I sometimes wonder how many undiscovered things exist waiting to be found.

[edit on 25-10-2009 by greydaze]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
nice find great stuff!

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Wasn't the rumour that we would once find a pyramid, larger then the ones in Egypt, wich will blow our mind because in there we would really find the 'hidden records and lost information'.

But what bothers me, is that I thought that we would find it under water.
Maybe mixing some stuff now..

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
CNN said the guy said there are thousands to be discovered.

If there are thousands of those to be discovered then we would have discovered 500 when the Spanish went there lol.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
chack the cnn page to see the complete report its a 30-plus min documental

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn

There is nothing to be discovered anymore in this world, except maybe in Antartica.

Well I don't believe that. I think that the cartels are afraid that this is going to be some archaeological epic center that is going to disturb their product.And that they cant stash their great amounts of merchandise anymore.

There a lot of archaeological secrets in the world that we still don't know of. You still hear they find tombs in Egypt and other countries.

great find anyways ..
s&F

[edit on 11/02/2007 by 0bserver1]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1

Originally posted by xynephadyn

There is nothing to be discovered anymore in this world, except maybe in Antartica.

Well I don't believe that. I think that the cartels are afraid that this is going to be some archaeological epic center that is going to disturb their product.And that they cant stash their great amounts of merchandise anymore.

There a lot of archaeological secrets in the world that we still don't know of. You still hear they find tombs in Egypt and other countries.

great find anyways ..
s&F

[edit on 11/02/2007 by 0bserver1]

I guess the CIA will have to use a different area to grow and traffic then.

As for the story let's get some 'facts' straight because I don't know if people have ADHD or just don't even bother to listen to what the video is saying.

**The narrarator said there are thousands of pyramids around the main one yet to be uncovered. Note uncovered, not discovered...because they were discovered just not uncovered of it's jungle growth.

**The ancient city is dated to go back to 300 - 200 BC.

**The area is larger than downtown Los Angeles.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mcrom901

Excellent post and film clip. I was thinking before seeing the clip that looting would be a problem. It is with all of these sites. That is likely why we are just hearing of this now. They have been keeping it somewhat under wraps to prevent looting while waiting for the financial means to protect the site.

This certainly beats the thread I was considering starting:

"World's Largest Pyramid Scheme Discovered On the Island of Manhattan"

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by quackers

Yes I did. The city is the size of LA. They didn't say how large the pyramid was.

Also, they said the carvings were about 500 AD. But that doesn't mean the pyramid or the rest of the city is the same age.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by SolPower
Nice Find - S&F

I wonder what implications this has on the comparison between these pyramids and Egyptian pyramids.

None at all. The Egyptian pyramids were built in an entirely different style and were built about 3,000 years before the Mayan pyramids. Egyptian civilization was dead and buried by the time of the Mayas; the Romans were also in decline. The best engineers at the time were in the Middle East, and were building domes and far more complex structures than pyramids.

And does this give the Mayan calendar more weight? And the so called end of a cycle period of 2012?

No. Their calendar ran out in 2012 (not a perpetual calendar) and they'd be busy carving a new one if the civilization had survived the Spanish conquistadores.

Actually, they'd probably be printing one or hundreds of artists would be sculpting them in a variety of sizes, ready to sell when the new cycle started.

i don't think the maya calendar runs out so much as it rolls over. I've read and heard that the cycle starts anew and repeats itself as laid out on the large wheel.

the Olmecs date back quite a ways. some 3400 years actually by recent methods of understanding. They flourished between 1400 bce and 400 bce and are considered the proto-race of peoples in central america.

they built pyramids as well.

I think the idea of a pyramid is universal because of the engineering and math concepts required to build one.

It is in essence the simplest and most stable construct that one could make.
No other primitive shape compares with ease of building as does a pyramid.

the larger ones are only difficult due to size, but not due to engineering.

a pyramid cannot fall down during a construction phase like a rectangular or box like building does.

for the records, the arch with keystone si present in mayan buildings and toltec, olmec, mixtec, zapotec etc.

It is interesting that the integral; architectural form of the keystone crosses all civilizations modern and ancient.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

When was it found? because i had the dream on December 9th 2008 and on December 12th 2008 i had a dream of Obama's assassination i still remember the "thump" and him falling down the steps.

EDIT: although one thing that stuck out with the pyramids and island in my dream was a big waterfall "nearby" it wasnt to scale as i was flying overhead.

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join