It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you say is man's greatest fear?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
That there is nothing after the existence we know

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
That those beetles from The Mummy will crawl into your body at night and eat your brains.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Think about the last time you had to get up in front of a large group of people and give a speech! I know it's not earth shaking or life altering but most people avoid it if they can, others seem to enjoy it. Nothing brings out the sweaty palms in most people like public speaking.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MagnumOverDrive

lol. You are right. That has always been a fear of mine. Nice one.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Magantice

I would translate that as the fear of not succeeding into getting into Heaven.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I know! Mankind's greatest fear are those damned Kirbies! Those are freaky little things.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Very good point. Most of the people in the world are religious and believe in an afterlife. So death cannot be man's greatest fear.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Raverous

Very well thought out. But if God did not exist and most people believe he does, then ethics and morality would indeed be only a fable and would be meaningless. But that is getting off topic. For something to be Man's greatest fear then 51% or more of the worlds population would have to agree on what that might be. Maybe a poll should be taken....hmmm that may help. Does anyone know of any kind of poll for that. I have done a small search, but came up with nothing.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

lol. I am with ya on that.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion

Doh. I meant Furbies.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nonnez

Lol. That is a big fear. Very funny.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Alien invasion, where the aliens come down and violate people just before killing and eating them in the most horrific way imaginable.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I am saying that because of death being a fear man has gone to great lengths to invent an afterlife to calm that fear. Just because we can calm the fear of death by inventing a belief in an afterlife it is still a fear, just one we don't have to think about as much because of the invented afterlife.

[EDIT TO ADD]

I mean, why go to such great lengths to invent an afterlife, if ultimate death was not a fear?

[edit on 22-10-2009 by sirnex]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Better yet!!! The answer to your question good sir is...... Drum roll please.

42!

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

What would you say is man's greatest fear?

To live alone in the universe. If we wouldn't fear of it, we wouldn't create false believes about invisible almighty beings.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by Sharrow]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Historical-Mozart

Well, of all the replies here on this thread, the fear of "being alone" was spoken of more than any other fear, so what did I tell you, Conclusion?

For those of you who want to read up on the origin of that "being alone" fear, click on the link above for my post on this thread. I still am sure that this "Original Wound" is THE deepest fear that anyone would have in any lifetime and such fears can manifest in a myriad number of ways, but, at the root, it's the deeply-held, deeply-felt fear of the "Original Wound" that is the primal fear of all fears.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

I do see your point, but if there is no afterlife then that means nothing to fear. As far an inventing the afterlife I am not sure. They do not say that one person invented it, but that something else showed them.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Historical-Mozart

It is true that being alone is a great fear. But most people think that you will not be alone in the after life, thereby it cannot be man's greatest fear.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

42 is a fearful number. The first twice as much as the last. lol ok that is the answer...lol

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

I would say that with all the sightings that if they wanted to do that they would have done it by now. But nice try.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join