It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Extensive Breakdown of Biblical Contradictions

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Very nice post and well put. As diest, one who believes in god but is not a christian or subscriber to scientology, islam etc, I find it hard to believe that god would "write" a book that could be so misinterpreted by the common man. I read tons and usually have my nose in a college course a couple of times a year--simply meaning that i'm not a complete fool and I find the bible a wonderful work full of amazing stories and inspirational bits here and there, but it is "NOT" the word of god or a basis for any religion.. You should throw in the 10 commandments. (they are good rules of life to live by) the words of Jesus, (Most everything attributed to jesus is very good ..amazing stuff....and a few other tid bits and that's it throw out everything else especially anything contributed to paul or influenced by Paul in the new testament which is virtually all of it. He was not a good man.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

While anthropologists are uncovering more and more data on the historical "accuracy" of the Bible, we can't yet say "The Bible is historically accurate," simply because all the data isn't in. A lot of it IS accurate, but a lot of it is still shrouded in mystery.

Thats my point... to this date there has not been one falsely accused event plus there are many prophecies that have been fulfilled in the past century such as Isreal becoming a nation in just 1 day!!! that I believe comes from the book of Daniel (not 100% sure) but you get my point. prophecies made over 1000 yrs ago come true even today to the exact detail!

I'm glad you brought that up, because I've found that children ask the hardest questions about the Bible.

For instance, every kid asks the question about the wives of Cain and Able. Where did these wives come from, if Adam and Eve were the very first people and Cain and Able were their first offspring?

Well, obviously, there were other people in the area. God didn't stop creating people with Adam and Eve. In fact, there were probably people BEFORE Adam and Eve.

Wow. How could that be?

Well, what we know about God from the Old Testament is that He has no qualms about wiping the slate clean (or partially clean) and starting over. That's what The Flood was all about. Also, apparently, Adam had a wife before Eve. What's more, it's possible that Adam and Eve were replacements for earlier prototypes who didn't work out. There's no saying that Adam and Eve were the only humans on Earth.

I mean, these questions are addressed in other ancient writings that were omitted from the Bible. But if you pick up the Bible thinking that it's a history book in proper chronological order, you're going to be sorely disappointed (not to mention confused).

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 10/21/2009 by Doc Velocity]

OMG do kids ask the hardest questions! but like I said this keeps you interacting with God to try and find the answers to continually seek and "walk with God" so to speak

The Bible never said God only made Adam and Eve so ur right and I agree with you on that but please do not go too far by interjecting your thoughts as fact. we do not know if God created people before Adam so we cannot say for a fact that there were people before Adam... And I have heard theories of a wife before Eve but no one has ever brought forth proof so I take it as nonsense until someone gives me some valid evidence.

The Bible in NO WAY was written in a chronological order! thats why you take the bible one book at a time. The compilars however have accurately placed the books closest to the correct order in order to allow the reader to follow more precisely the message.

I have to say this... If you believe in God and in Christ then you have to believe in the Bible in its entirety. Those that compiled the Bible did a very GOOD job in doing so. I give this reasoning for that: They were closer to the time that it was written, they spoke the languages, they knew the cultures, the people, the history, and they knew all the fakes and other pagan stories people tried to slip into the Bible! Seriously God would have killed the Bible long ago if it was false!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I discern that no matter what ANYONE says, some digit will come along and say they have debunked it.

All I see is god this, and god that...like these simpletons even can understand that the english word "god" is a blanket term. They would like to think they are talking about YHWH...but their lack of knowledge of sumerian, akkadian, and canaanite history shows their pure ignorance.

It's called history, try it sometime instead of playing the jesus or atheist card. From what I have seen, I am pretty disgusted by both of you.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
The contradiction here is the actual book as a whole, not any one part, but the whole thing...either the bible is flawed, or God can be defeated by chariots...take your pick. if God can defeat a chariot, then the stories are wrote by people not inspired by God as stated...if he *can* be defeated by a chariot, then its still wrong because it means he is not even remotely all powerful.

Again, we see this cut-and-dried, either-or approach to the Bible... If the Bible says THIS, it CAN'T say THAT.

Says who?

That sort of rationale only applies to a continuous body of work by one author — such that you can go back and pick apart the author's statements and demonstrate that the author is contradicting himself.

But the Bible is not by one author. It's a compilation of writings, assembled from different cultures. In one culture, God can melt an entire city at a glance. In another culture, God's chosen army can be defeated. In another culture, God is vengeful. In another culture, God makes bets with Satan.

Put all this stuff together in one book, and tell people that it's all the same God, and people are going to be confused. Goes without saying.

This is where our intelligence can be put to good use. We can see that there are holes and contradictions in the Bible, but these are the result of human error, NOT because God is fallible, but because Man is eminently fallible in recording and compiling the information.

Simple.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
One of the things that always confuses me is what the light was before the sun, moon, and stars were created. Does anyone have any idea?

Genesis 1:3-5

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Genesis 1:14-19

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazing
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Very nice post and well put. As diest, one who believes in god but is not a christian or subscriber to scientology, islam etc, I find it hard to believe that god would "write" a book that could be so misinterpreted by the common man. I read tons and usually have my nose in a college course a couple of times a year--simply meaning that i'm not a complete fool and I find the bible a wonderful work full of amazing stories and inspirational bits here and there, but it is "NOT" the word of god or a basis for any religion.. You should throw in the 10 commandments. (they are good rules of life to live by) the words of Jesus, (Most everything attributed to jesus is very good ..amazing stuff....and a few other tid bits and that's it throw out everything else especially anything contributed to paul or influenced by Paul in the new testament which is virtually all of it. He was not a good man.

how do I say this ummmmm....

Its not God's fault that we misinterpret the Bible its our own fault for being careless and lazy! Honestly, the world has become so spoon fed of religion and what they believe that they do no think for themselves and those that do are often turn away from christianity because of the ignorance that "christians" often portray. I for one am not a lazy christian and I work my butt off to understand and to learn about history and the bible. I have OLD SCHOOL mentality in that I work my butt off in everything I do and I am only 24yrs old.

amazing,

You have alot to learn about the fundamentals of christianity in that the 10 commandments are laws that were set forth for the Jewish people not Gentiles like you and me therefore they do not apply to us! YES they are great rules to live by but that does not determine if we go to heaven or hell. Also how can you take only bits and pieces of what someone stood for and throw everything else out. It kinda negates who that person was and what they stood for! on your comment about Paul I have this to say: Your the worst man to ever walk the earth so to everyone else dont listen to this man because he is a bad man!!!!! a bad bad man! oOoOoOo lol

Just because you think paul was a bad man does not mean what he wrote or said was not the truth. Maybe you should do some studying and reading up on paul you might learn that Christ changed that man's life around BIG TIME! and that he suffered for it BIG TIME TOO!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeltDowN
I discern that no matter what ANYONE says, some digit will come along and say they have debunked it.

All I see is god this, and god that...like these simpletons even can understand that the english word "god" is a blanket term. They would like to think they are talking about YHWH...but their lack of knowledge of sumerian, akkadian, and canaanite history shows their pure ignorance.

It's called history, try it sometime instead of playing the jesus or atheist card. From what I have seen, I am pretty disgusted by both of you.

Seriously, YHWY or GOD or God is the same thing! because I don't use the hebrew name for God because most people on here do not understand the significance of the name and could be easily confused. I love how you just waltz in here throw down your judge card without even contributing *good for you yeah!*

Take a chill pill and if you have something constructive to add to the discussion step up like a big boy!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
The contradiction here is the actual book as a whole, not any one part, but the whole thing...either the bible is flawed, or God can be defeated by chariots...take your pick. if God can defeat a chariot, then the stories are wrote by people not inspired by God as stated...if he *can* be defeated by a chariot, then its still wrong because it means he is not even remotely all powerful.

Again, we see this cut-and-dried, either-or approach to the Bible... If the Bible says THIS, it CAN'T say THAT.

Says who?

That sort of rationale only applies to a continuous body of work by one author — such that you can go back and pick apart the author's statements and demonstrate that the author is contradicting himself.

But the Bible is not by one author. It's a compilation of writings, assembled from different cultures. In one culture, God can melt an entire city at a glance. In another culture, God's chosen army can be defeated. In another culture, God is vengeful. In another culture, God makes bets with Satan.

Put all this stuff together in one book, and tell people that it's all the same God, and people are going to be confused. Goes without saying.

This is where our intelligence can be put to good use. We can see that there are holes and contradictions in the Bible, but these are the result of human error, NOT because God is fallible, but because Man is eminently fallible in recording and compiling the information.

Simple.

— Doc Velocity

Doc,

He was talking about a specific book which he believed to be contradictory. Many books in the bible were written by a single author!

also doc if you believe the bible is incomplete then you could not be a christian and the reasoning for that would be the fact that if the bible was incomplete that would leave room for error and as many theologians understand and know the bible is supposed to be flawless for the claims that it makes.

On a side note to the guy posting about the Jesus card or Atheist card I want you to know that i have only promoted the correct study of ancient documents and texts. Me being a christian has nothing to do with my arguments as they are based on simple logic and facts! take it for what you will!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Maybe next time GOD starts telling Paul storys he needs to lay off the herb, or maybe he just needs therapy.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Waltz in like you have? Like you have knowledge to even have an honest opinion? Please lets see your next pathetic attempt at an insult.

Please get more offended and take anything I have to type as a personal insult because you lack the study of history. I stick by my original post about religious, ignorant cowards that prefer to play the word game instead of showing any interest or knowledge of history. Prove me wrong.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Has anybody read this site about Paul? I ran across it not long ago while trying to figure out what the controversy was regarding Paul. It was a real eye-opener for me. I was particularly intrigued by the Mark of the Beast theory. If you do decide to read it, I'm interested in any feedback.

Apostle Paul A Deceiver?

[edit on 21-10-2009 by gazerstar]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by gazerstar
One of the things that always confuses me is what the light was before the sun, moon, and stars were created. Does anyone have any idea?

Genesis 1:3-5

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Genesis 1:14-19

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

Ok,

Man im getting tired... its been a long day lol

so lets read the first couple of verses again:

What is being said here? in the first part it talks in generalities in the second set it talks about specifics.

its like this:

I walk up to you and say I built that computer your using then I say I first bought the case and bought the parts and I installed the motherboard first then the CPU, GPU, RAM and etc...

Genesis gave us a general description and then began to fill the blanks.

Does that make sense? I am trying to keep it in lamens terms as much as possible!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Well, yeah. I've always taken the separation of Light & Darkness to be THE moment of the Creation of the Universe. Call it The Big Bang, if you want.

Any astronomer will tell you that the Universe (and Light) existed for over 9 billion years before our solar system congealed out of the firmament. So, even by scientific standards, Light existed before our local stars and our sun and its planets existed.

No contradiction.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Waltz in like you have? Like you have knowledge to even have an honest opinion? Please lets see your next pathetic attempt at an insult.

Please get more offended and take anything I have to type as a personal insult because you lack the study of history. I stick by my original post about religious, ignorant cowards that prefer to play the word game instead of showing any interest or knowledge of history. Prove me wrong.

Good ole troll

I laugh at this really. I have not insulted anyone since i joined on here. I am merely here trying to educate what i saw as an obvious and common issue in regards to interpreting texts new and old.

LOL and prove you wrong of what? You seriously crack me up I mean come on word games... ok dude!

lol back on subject and ignoring the troll!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Well, yeah. I've always taken the separation of Light & Darkness to be THE moment of the Creation of the Universe. Call it The Big Bang, if you want.

Any astronomer will tell you that the Universe (and Light) existed for over 9 billion years before our solar system congealed out of the firmament. So, even by scientific standards, Light existed before our local stars and our sun and its planets existed.

No contradiction.

— Doc Velocity

Very good OBSERVATION! Seriously though to answer his question would take some time as i would really want to research more. I think these are two good observations the one i posted and what doc just posted!
way to go doc!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by APOCOLYPSE DAWN

Seriously, YHWY or GOD or God is the same thing! because I don't use the hebrew name for God because most people on here do not understand the significance of the name and could be easily confused. I love how you just waltz in here throw down your judge card without even contributing *good for you yeah!*

Take a chill pill and if you have something constructive to add to the discussion step up like a big boy!

You may think that the hebrew god "yhwy" is the same thing as "god" but from what I have seen, may people think otherwise when they talk about "god". It's very rare that I see people talk about "god" and they mean that burning bush crap.

Sure alot of people talk about jesus and equate it with god or yhwh, it's not their fault they lack the education to understand the difference.

I nothing but empathy for people that take insult and get violent to the words I type...it reminds me of Islam.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Has anybody read this site about Paul? I ran across it not long ago while trying to figure out what the controversy was regarding Paul. It was a real eye-opener for me. I was particularly intrigued by the Mark of the Beast theory. If you do decide to read it, I'm interested in any feedback.

Apostle Paul A Deceiver?

[edit on 21-10-2009 by gazerstar]

Gazerstar,

Thanks for the link! I briefly skimmed the site and already see several places of scripture out of context and Eisigesis! But i will need to look into it deeper and take on the accusations they are putting forth. Apostle paul the anti christ I find that hard to believe! just cause of the fact that paul doesnt fit the description of the anti christ... Right now I am working on a journal/guide to the book of revelations for the everyday man and compairing it to the times we live in and history. For my own personal benefit and I must say that site has quite a few contradictory applications to the interpretation and observations that I am getting from revelation and other scripture regarding the anti christ... but then again let me look into it

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

You may think that the hebrew god "yhwy" is the same thing as "god" but from what I have seen, may people think otherwise when they talk about "god". It's very rare that I see people talk about "god" and they mean that burning bush crap.

Sure alot of people talk about jesus and equate it with god or yhwh, it's not their fault they lack the education to understand the difference.

I nothing but empathy for people that take insult and get violent to the words I type...it reminds me of Islam.

thats better! a constructive post! we all know no one likes being called a simpleton

If you want we can get into the subject of the tri-unity or what many people mis-label as the trinity. but then we would be stepping into a theological discussion rather than a historical and proper interpretation of text.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
its getting a lil late so im going to head out! catch yall later and we can finish this discussion!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Good ole troll

I laugh at this really. I have not insulted anyone since i joined on here. I am merely here trying to educate what i saw as an obvious and common issue in regards to interpreting texts new and old.

LOL and prove you wrong of what? You seriously crack me up I mean come on word games... ok dude!

lol back on subject and ignoring the troll!

you have not insulted anyone since you joined here...

"I love how you just waltz in here throw down your judge card without even contributing *good for you yeah!*

Take a chill pill and if you have something constructive to add to the discussion step up like a big boy! "

You are trying to educate??? Seriously man are you kidding? I think we both know you lack the education to be "edumacating" anyone without using bible quotes as so called knowledge.

I highly doubt you could even tell us the dates the bibles were written without looking it up. I'm getting a little sick of ignorant, insulting people that claim christianity, that don't know anything even about their own history that wan't to play the insult game just because I challenged you about the history of the sumerians, akkadians, let alone the babylonians and the exile. I think you should just stick to with what you know...no offence meant.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join