It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Extensive Breakdown of Biblical Contradictions

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Thank you all for your feedback to my questions. I look forward to further discussion. Good night!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by APOCOLYPSE DAWN

Thanks for the reply---I do see what you mean about taking this and throwing out that--but let me say this.

a. I'm not Lazy (I know you're not implying that but...) and I have some brains and the bible was not written in a way that is easily understood. I am of a firm belief that God will show you the way in a "Clear" manner if that's what God intends to do and not put it in a way that is easily misunderstood--such as the bible.
b. I don't believe I'm going to hell...in fact I'm certain of it. Jesus Is NOT the only way.
c. I'm not bashing the bible...I understand that it is full of so much history knowledge and amazingness...I'm just saying that it can't be used as the word of god.
d. The new testament/the old testament/Paul's teaching and Jesus's teachings and the book of revelation. It doesn't all jive or fit together. It wasn't meant to...we've put in too much crap....It's easy to sift through it though...again take a couple of parts and passages from the old testament.. very few....jesus's teaching and a few other things and BAM you basically have a 12 page document that you can live with...disgard all the other crap.

I speak from experience and also from growing up in both a methodist and baptist background.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by APOCOLYPSE DAWN
He was talking about a specific book which he believed to be contradictory. Many books in the bible were written by a single author!

But the Bible as a whole is not the work of one author. The authors of the Bible are long separated by time and distance.

also doc if you believe the bible is incomplete then you could not be a christian and the reasoning for that would be the fact that if the bible was incomplete that would leave room for error and as many theologians understand and know the bible is supposed to be flawless for the claims that it makes.

Here we go again... I do not "believe" the Bible is incomplete. The Bible is obviously a complete compilation. It was compiled by certain people to support their specific beliefs.

The Bible is a complete compilation, but it is not the only divinely-inspired scripture out there. A lot of divinely-inspired material was omitted from the compilation of the Bible. This does not mean the Bible is incomplete — It IS complete for its purpose. But there is more information out there that should be assimilated before you make sweeping statements about the Bible. Because those other scriptures provide explanations for many of the controversial issues that atheists and theists debate.

As for my being a Christian, I tell you that I AM a Christian, a THINKING Christian, and nobody can tell me I'm not.

My wife and I just returned from a religious retreat up in Colorado, where we were holed-up with 16 senior Lutheran pastors who manage missions all around the world. For four days, we talked non-stop Christianity, from 7 am to 11 pm every day. We discussed, we debated, we contemplated, we debated some more, and we came out of the experience feeling like we had been ridden hard and put away wet. It was exhausting.

But every senior pastor there knew that when they dealt with me, they were dealing with a man of Faith. I don't mind saying that I even intimidated a couple of these pastors. I didn't intend to intimidate them, but my Faith just rolls out like a steamroller, okay, and I speak and write spontaneously on the subject.

So, no, you can't tell me that I MUST accept everything in the Bible as the undiluted Word of God. Because I know some of it IS DILUTED by the hand of Man.

See how that works? You tell me I can't do something and I'll show you that I very surely can.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
These proposed contradictions are based solely on someone's ignorance concerning the scriptures and/or a desire to discredit the Bible.

ALL of these proposed contradictions have been debunked long ago, and the information is all online to explain each one of them.....if people care to look and set there foolish biases and prejudices aside.

Two thumbs down Bible bashing.

Haven't you got better things to do than attempting to gain ATS points through Bible bashing? You know darn well that threads like this just fan the flames by bringing out all the anti-Christian and anti-Christ zealots....so why do you do it?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

He was talking about a specific book which he believed to be contradictory. Many books in the bible were written by a single author!

But the Bible as a whole is not the work of one author. The authors of the Bible are long separated by time and distance.

also doc if you believe the bible is incomplete then you could not be a christian and the reasoning for that would be the fact that if the bible was incomplete that would leave room for error and as many theologians understand and know the bible is supposed to be flawless for the claims that it makes.

Here we go again... I do not "believe" the Bible is incomplete. The Bible is obviously a complete compilation. It was compiled by certain people to support their specific beliefs.

The Bible is a complete compilation, but it is not the only divinely-inspired scripture out there. A lot of divinely-inspired material was omitted from the compilation of the Bible. This does not mean the Bible is incomplete — It IS complete for its purpose. But there is more information out there that should be assimilated before you make sweeping statements about the Bible. Because those other scriptures provide explanations for many of the controversial issues that atheists and theists debate.

As for my being a Christian, I tell you that I AM a Christian, a THINKING Christian, and nobody can tell me I'm not.

My wife and I just returned from a religious retreat up in Colorado, where we were holed-up with 16 senior Lutheran pastors who manage missions all around the world. For four days, we talked non-stop Christianity, from 7 am to 11 pm every day. We discussed, we debated, we contemplated, we debated some more, and we came out of the experience feeling like we had been ridden hard and put away wet. It was exhausting.

But every senior pastor there knew that when they dealt with me, they were dealing with a man of Faith. I don't mind saying that I even intimidated a couple of these pastors. I didn't intend to intimidate them, but my Faith just rolls out like a steamroller, okay, and I speak and write spontaneously on the subject.

So, no, you can't tell me that I MUST accept everything in the Bible as the undiluted Word of God. Because I know some of it IS DILUTED by the hand of Man.

See how that works? You tell me I can't do something and I'll show you that I very surely can.

— Doc Velocity

I do not have the same beliefs as you Doc, but I think we can agree that person is more delusional than either of us...I'm really not sure where it gets it's info from but geez...and it called me a troll?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Matrix
These proposed contradictions are based solely on someone's ignorance concerning the scriptures and/or a desire to discredit the Bible.

ALL of these proposed contradictions have been debunked long ago, and the information is all online to explain each one of them.....if people care to look and set there foolish biases and prejudices aside.

Two thumbs down Bible bashing.

Haven't you got better things to do than attempting to gain ATS points through Bible bashing? You know darn well that threads like this just fan the flames by bringing out all the anti-Christian and anti-Christ zealots....so why do you do it?

Wow!!! I expected more from you mr matrix...now anyone that disagree's with the hebrew and greek testament is just trying to gain points? Are you really that caught up in the jesus vs evolution crap that you truly think that?

I would ask you as well, do you know the sumerian, akkadian, and canaanite history and religions so that you can make an informed opinion on hatred?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Doc this was not attack on your faith or beliefs but rather a hypothetical statement that if you do not believe in the completeness of the bible that you would be supporting a "compilation of books" like you so eloquently put it of incompleteness and that there could be another book out there that refutes christs teachings. Is that a clearer description of what I was trying to get across?

— Doc Velocity

Like I mentioned above in this post I am not saying you can or cant do anything. I too am writing at the seat of my pants here. I respect your input and your contributions to this discussion! ok seriously one more post for meltdown and then im out!

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MeltDowN
I do not have the same beliefs as you Doc, but I think we can agree that person is more delusional than either of us...I'm really not sure where it gets it's info from but geez...and it called me a troll?

Arent all christians delusional to everyone else I mean come on we believe God came here on Earth and Died for us so that we may go to heaven. If you want to label me delusional by all means I am a VERY delusional person.

If you need references for anything I have pointed out in the discussion please feel free to ask and I will get them for you. also, I labeled you a troll because of your first and second post on here criticizing everyone without actually posting a legitimate response to the topic. Dont get offended I was just pressuring you to step up to the plate and be a big boy by talking and discussing with us rather than being a judgmental "troll" so to speak... you know someone who goes around posting and blasting people without even becoming apart of the discussion... Thank you for proving me wrong and stepping up to the plate! Seriously thank you!

Anyways, keep it civil and I will catch up to you guys later!

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Doc this was not attack on your faith or beliefs but rather a hypothetical statement that if you do not believe in the completeness of the bible that you would be supporting a "compilation of books" like you so eloquently put it of incompleteness and that there could be another book out there that refutes christs teachings. Is that a clearer description of what I was trying to get across?

— Doc Velocity

Like I mentioned above in this post I am not saying you can or cant do anything. I too am writing at the seat of my pants here. I respect your input and your contributions to this discussion! ok seriously one more post for meltdown and then im out!

i'm not sure why you feel a "compilation of books" is oh so bad, have you not done a basic history search ? Do you think i am against the teaching of the old and new testament...I am no more against them than teachings from a Stephen King book. If you really think thats insulting you haven't read his work.

I'm not sure why you keep this fundamental mindset, and you keep on being insulting whilst using this

Seriously, if you honestly think you are proving christianity by example, you are doing anything but.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I just want to make it clear that I'm not upset by any responses here on ATS. I've been an ATS member long enough that I've gone through these same discussions several times, been slapped down, been applauded, been warned, et cetera, et cetera.

So, I'm not trying to be confrontational or baiting or anything like that. I just see a topic I like and I comment on it, and when the discussion drifts into Faith, I speak with authority. So, I don't want you to think I'm getting riled up — I'm not.

Just enjoying the conversation.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

i'm not sure why you feel a "compilation of books" is oh so bad, have you not done a basic history search ? Do you think i am against the teaching of the old and new testament...I am no more against them than teachings from a Stephen King book. If you really think thats insulting you haven't read his work.

I'm not sure why you keep this fundamental mindset, and you keep on being insulting whilst using this

Seriously, if you honestly think you are proving christianity by example, you are doing anything but.

Did I say a compilation of books was a bad thing? no... It is common knowledge that the bible is a compilation of books. there were also thousands of books written by many different people at those times that were proven to be so called "blasphemy" or were determined to not be from God by the scholars of that time. I am not adding my opinion in this I am just stating the facts. I mean look at the dead sea scrolls! there is much valuable information to be gained from those long lost documents! why is it that you think I am insulted? I am curious because I take no insult to any of the points and this discussion I find it rather refreshing to see other points of view and compare it to my own.

As far as my actions I am just merely a man who makes mistakes day in and day out and I live with my choices. Christ Died for my Sins so I am not worried about it rather yet I focus on my relationship with God rather than did I make so and so upset or did I look like the perfect christian today naww thats not me lol

You seem more flustered than me about the whole ordeal. dont focus on me rather yet focus on the substance of my posts

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
"Christ Died for my Sins so I am not worried about it"

I'm not angry, satanic or evil, nor did I say you said I was...But I am making it clear, with no sarcasm.

You say that the bible is a compilation of books, which bible do you speak of? You would be correct no matter what your answer was.

"there were also thousands of books written by many different people at those times that were proven to be so called "blasphemy" or were determined to not be from God by the scholars of that time."

You say "thousands of books". I would ask you to name 256 of those...

"were proven to be so called "blasphemy" or were determined to not be from God by the scholars of that time."

I would like to see record of this. NOT only that but why you also believe this. I already know why but I would like to see what you come up with....I have no doubt someone will come help you explain it all away.

I also am just a man, unlike yourself I do not have the exuse that jesus has forgiven on grace itself.

would this be an inproper time to put a smiley?

[edit on 22-10-2009 by MeltDowN]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
hope Apoc will write the whole story...watch as on the 7th day, the omnipotent diety gets pooped and takes the day off....I mean...who woulda thought a God can get tuckered out.

still, 6 day workweek...he must work out.

incidently...the reason people pick apart the bible is simple...the faster the bible can be smashed down into silliness, the faster all of the major religions of the world can collapse, and the faster we can live in peace without parts of the world demanding their God is better, stronger, faster than your God and start bombing you to prove their point.

world religion is a institution propped up and fully supported by Satan (chew on that for a bit). and destroys the divinity of personal spirituality with icons, books, earth rituals, physical representations, etc.

the only worthwhile thing to take out of the bible is that Jesus hated preachers and the church..hell, he even got crusified because his hatred for such nonsense was rampant and he got the old robes angry at him.

You know whats funny! its that Satan or whatever name you want to give him wants you to reject "Faith" not religion but "Faith" in God and in Christ... I really like the last bit you pointed out it makes my point: The bible states that the Devil is here to bring us further from a relationship with God... (This is not to be confused with the church, priests or religion) So if I chose to worship this computer I am typing on then who am I worshiping God or my computer? Didnt a man create the computer? so what makes the computer greater than the man? is it not a tool for man to ease his workload? So to get back on track if I worship this computer I am not worshiping God and therefore Satan is winning. Lack of a relationship with God = 1 more soul brought down with him. Jesus did not hate preachers take that MISCONCEPTION out of your beliefs. Jesus was infuriated with the teachings that they were spreading. Christ tells us not to hate the sinner but to hate the sin! Remember that!

Like I said earlier Study the history and the people of that time especially the Jews and you will understand why they crucified him! They were looking for a Political leader to conquer the Romans and bring them into a new era! Just like Moses did for them when they were in Egypt...

Satan means adversary. Anything past the meaning of "Adversary" doesn't exist. If you look in history, you will see that from the fall of the Roman Empire till the age of the Renaissance (around a 1000 years) there was a period of time called the "Dark ages".

During this time the only "Geopolitical" force was the Catholic church as the surrounding Empire had been dismantled. It was during this time that many pagen concepts slipped into christianity such as "horned devils". Before this, the newly forming Christianity was based off of the Jewish concept of "Deity". Also they didn't have a thing called heaven or hell. Again these are concepts that were melded into Christianity over the years and have no place in Christianity, but are pagan concepts.

The whole concept of "Satan" as some fairy that is out to get you is just silly.
Satan can be typified as anyone who is against you or is your "Adversary".

Try replacing satan with adversary. That's what a Jewish person is calling his adversary, so just use the transliteration when you read it which is "Adversary" (read adversary in your mind instead of reading satan). The story will begin to make a lot more sense. As a matter of fact, do that with every word in the bible. Get out your strongs and start translating EVERY word...promise you won't end up with the same story you've been "Given".

You will find a story that actually makes sense and can answer every one of the "contradictions" on the OP.

Try thinking of it like this....Satan is a Title, because that is truly what Satan is. It is not an individual being and in case you didn't know, it doesn't matter if the make believe "Satan" is winning or not. The Satan looses as Mankind (the living god) begins shedding the urges to destroy themselves and live in peace, they overcome that urge to be "adversaries" and in effect destroy the "satan". With a man it is impossible, not so for mankind. With mankind, anything is possible...Mankind = Living God. Not one, not two, but ALL forward and backward is the living God.

Love yourself and love your neighbor as yourself...this is law, the only two we will survive by.

Part of the great "deception" is the "image" that is, the "concept" or being led in the scriptures. Many accept at face value what they are being taught and the interpretations that are given them. Built into this "concept" is the idea that if you try to look for yourself, you are being led by "Satan". Quite the opposite in fact.

Godspeed to you.

Peace

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
we must understaind one thing here. the bible is the most published, most translated most rewritten book out there.. we cant think that the bibles of today are exactly as the original text. no matter what version things surly changed and twisted along the way.. think of the game telephone, one person wispers into anothers ear and so on and so on. by the end the original story usualy has nothing to do with what the last person hears.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   

"Christ Died for my Sins so I am not worried about it"

I'm not angry, satanic or evil, nor did I say you said I was...But I am making it clear, with no sarcasm.

You say that the bible is a compilation of books, which bible do you speak of? You would be correct no matter what your answer was.

"there were also thousands of books written by many different people at those times that were proven to be so called "blasphemy" or were determined to not be from God by the scholars of that time."

You say "thousands of books". I would ask you to name 256 of those...

"were proven to be so called "blasphemy" or were determined to not be from God by the scholars of that time."

I would like to see record of this. NOT only that but why you also believe this. I already know why but I would like to see what you come up with....I have no doubt someone will come help you explain it all away.

I also am just a man, unlike yourself I do not have the exuse that jesus has forgiven on grace itself.

would this be an inproper time to put a smiley?

[edit on 22-10-2009 by MeltDowN]

Let's put this in perspective.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

From the above we only need two words to understand what is "given" and is "acceptable".

"All Scripture." What does "All" and "Scripture" mean? Let's see

All

G3956
πᾶς
pas
Thayer Definition:
1) individually
1a) each, every, any, all, the whole, everyone, all things,everything
2) collectively
2a) some of all types

Scripture
G1124
γραφή
graphē
Thayer Definition:
1) a writing, thing written
2) the Scripture, used to denote either the book itself, or its contents

So, we have all meaning "Everything" and "Scripture" meaning "A thing written".

So hear are the books that are acceptable....EVERYTHING, as everything is good for learning, reproof, and equiping one to be wise.

Enjoy Penthouse Forum....

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Why would you doubt the bible based on the analysis of people whom you yourself admit are deseptive and whose research is also doubtful?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

The Bible prophecy shows that people in the end days Will NOT beleive the truth and will NOT give heed to the prophecies of the Bible. The Bible states that people will scoff at Gods words they will heap together teachers having itchy ears, they will give heed to seducing spirits and doctorines of demons.

I did not take time to read your comment other than to glance at it but I think I debunked your stupid stand point.

" 10And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

11And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

12That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. "

Tell me do you have pleasure in anything that the Bible would determine as unrighteousness? If you do then your perspective is not to be trusted.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by PApro
we must understaind one thing here. the bible is the most published, most translated most rewritten book out there.. we cant think that the bibles of today are exactly as the original text. no matter what version things surly changed and twisted along the way.. think of the game telephone, one person wispers into anothers ear and so on and so on. by the end the original story usualy has nothing to do with what the last person hears.

Here's what we must understand. The bible is the worlds "Best Seller". It tops the charts almost every week. That's why they keep putting out new versions....marketing.

If Christians would hear, "god's words are spirit", they would see what doctrines of men are....

Peace

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MeltDowN

The smithsonian used the Bible as reference text because of it's historical accuracy.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Luckily for all of us, all Bible contradictions are explained.
Start here: www.apologeticsindex.org...

If we can explain all the Bible contradictions to you, will you become a Christian? Probably not. The Bible predicted you would not. bible.cc...

When God wants you to come to Him, He will call you:
John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him:

Those of you who want to destroy religion, take heed.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join