It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mosin Nagant Stove Pipe Jam?! The worse ever...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Some buddies of mine called me awhile ago, asking for advise on a jam they got after fireing a new ammo type. Ends up they stove piped the Nagant with some rimmed Wolf cartriges.

They tried using the dowel and rods, dowel broke off inside and rod is stuck, they called me back and I suggested they stop by so I could try and see if a trick or two would help. No dice, so I am wonderig if any one here has has some advise for the advisor.

We are currentyl waiting to hear back from an older gentleman who is a gunsmith.

Any one?

SM2

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I had the same thing happen to mine. I used a piece of metal rod and tapped it with a hammer gently to get the shell fragment out. One a side note the reason why the Mosin Nagant will do this frequently, is because of the laquer that is on the ammo. most ammo available for that is either surplus or comes from old Soviet Bloc countries and most will have that laquer. The laquer essentially melts and leaves a residue in the chamber once fired, over time it will build up. So, there are only a few things you can do to combat it..1. Buy non laquered ammo, 2. Reload your own...3. Make sure you clean the rifle with a solvent.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by SM2]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I'm having a hard time picturing a "stove pipe" jam that you can't remove by simply backing up the action and taking out the brass. Are you sure we're not talking about squib load? What exactly happened?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I had this happen before with my Mosin. (This is not a stove pipe, just a jammed shell in the chamber) I found a couple of very helpful preventative actions to take:

1. Use a good solvent to clean your rifle every time. (I use a 50-50 mix of Kroil and Shooters Choice)
2. Use a 12 guage bore brush to scrub the bajeezus out of the chamber
3. Clean your rifle immediately after getting home from the range.

I use old mil-surp ammo in my Mosin which is corrosive, if you shoot that ever I would suggest a little bottle of Windex in your shooter's bag to spray down the barrel at the end of your plinking session. This will neutralize the corrosive salts that will pit your barrel if not taken care of.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by DropInABucket]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Get a can of WD-40. WD-40 is your best friend when it comes to gun problems, especially russian gun problems.

Fill the entire barrel and chamber with wd-40. Leave the rifle pointed straight up, all night long. Get a cleaning rod, and gently tap the shell out the next day. If that doesn't work, try some gasoline. It may take a lot of gentle tapping, you might want to hit it as hard as you can without breaking the cleaning rod.

If this won't do the job, get a new mos, they are like 89.99 lol.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I think we need to get the terminology correct. A stove pipe jam is one in which the cartridge fires, the extractor pulls the casing out of the chamber, then as the casing flips up the slide comes back and catches the casing. The casing is then stuck looking like a "stove pipe" coming out of the breech. A common cause for a stove pipe malfunction is limp wristing your pistol.

As for your problem, I think some of the other posters have addressed it quite well.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
One thing that everyone is missing that an inconsistant chamber surface or pitting in the surface which are both common on old firearms will also cause problems extracing spent rounds. Take it to a gun smith and have them inspect the chamber. Some times they can fill and polish the chamber and make the firearm function better than new.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Yes, the round was jammed into the chamber and was not extracted.

I forgot the term for the shell being stuck in the barrel, after it fired but didn't extract. Stove pipe was what came to my mind.

Also rimmed cartiges I heard often jam more frequently in the Mosin.

My friend who knows an old gentleman who is a gunsmith managed to free the jam.

Thank you all for the input and corrections among beneficial advise.

I will pass along all of your suggestions and make sure the rifle's owner is informed on this threads info.

Thank you for your time, is it much appreciated.

In case you all were wondering, what kind of firearm owner I am.
Simply put, the only kinetic based projectile thrower I own is a .45 caliber.

Made by GLOCK, and is the model 30.

I have even shot non ACP rounds in it, they are GAP and it shooots them fine despite they are short .45s, as far as the shell goes.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
If you exceed more than 2-3 rounds per minute the gun begins to warp(all mosins do this). It has nothing to do with the laquer coating on the bullet. These are not semi auto guns and cant sustain fire without some type of cooling between every few shots. If it jams, either wait till it cools, and the case will slide right out...or take a 2x4 and hit the bolt, which usually will release the case with the bolt.

My own mosin can sustain about 10 shots in 1-2 min before it will start to seize due to warping. Then I start wacking them out with a 2x4 or my boot.

A solution is to get a qualified gun smith to add fluting to the chamber similar to a tokarev svt-40. Either way, its not made for sustained fire.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by LordBaskettIV]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Use tansmision fluid, its a better penetrater than WD and make sure the rod you use is NOT steel!!! use brass/copper and a lite mallet, of course I'm assuming that you have the action locked in the open position.
If you have the means to do it, this would be better for the gun, take it appart and get the shell out from the breach using a small drill and a dent puller, so as not to hurt your rifleing..or remove the barrel..or both, depending on how valuable the gun is, and what it means to you..
If your lucky the stuff already stuck in there has not hurt it already!

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

I beleive by stove piping he mean's it is stuck in the action.

Pretty sure that is his issue.

new topics

top topics

join