It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Too American!!!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Originally posted by muzzleflash

But the point still stands, ATS has no bounds for discussion. And we LOVE discussing anything.

That's untrue.

We are NOT allowed to discuss the human consumption of naturally growing herbs, roots and mushrooms just because the authorities have declared them as illegal.

ATS still has censorship.

Without sounding rude or condescending, i fail to understand how such topics as illegal drugs can be of any benefit to a site which revolves around the borderline of reality and fantasy. Lets be real, there are people within this site who's knowledge is most looked upon with the utmost respect, on the other hand, opening a thread about the use of hemp and its applications has no serious contribution to a site which revolves around conspiracy topics.

I honestly hope that my post makes some sort of logic. However, if you have documentation from a first hand basis on the use of '___' and the CIA with the "room" then im sure such a thread would be left alone without any so called monitoring, so to speak. But then again such a thread would attract the people you would least like to meet.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
There is definately a heavy leaning in politics as being Amercian, I can list most of your politicians thanks to ATS, Im sure most would not know the name of my prime minister.
But thats OK, I dont mind. I do find the partisan squabbles that go on in the US irritating, but I avoid most of those threads, so I am OK.
I grew up with news service on a world info level, so I always have read up on other parts of the world.

Outside of poilitcs forum, its pretty balanced, and not geographically based.

I think this title should have perhaps focused on politics forum, not ATS in general.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Some non-Uk comments on this thread would be nice too.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

To fill you in - The guardian is a very nice newspaper, usually assocaited with free-speech, leftfield interests and a concern for the planet.

Now it's being gagged. Hmmmm...

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jauqx
I think the reason that most things discussed here is American, is because Americans are the most gullible...

Everytime (almost at least) you people see or hear something you cannot recognise, its allways a ufo, space critter, et's or a conspiracy.. To me it seems like other people (i.e europeans) generally are more skeptic and in touch with reality.. And thats why most of the ufo/et/conspiracy news discussed here and elsewhere is about americans...

"CAN I HAVE I BIG MAC WITH THAT UFO PLEASE..."

I hope that the ufo non believers will someday open their minds to reality.There are toooooo many documented UFOs

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Just to make sure and make it crystal clear, that not everything that is posted here is U.S. or U.K. orientated.

and for the sake of argument

Perhaps most will skip by, and perhaps will understand the lyrics involved.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by tristar]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

What I thought of as provocative news... people just didn't care so I don't do it that often

Exactly. I have noticed the same thing.
Sure, it makes sense. And sure, there's no use forcing people to discuss something they don't want to, even if they could be forced.

But it's still boring for the rest of us non-USA based denizens.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

All that is happening is ATS has more American Members than members from other countries.

The poster decides what their thread is about. Not ATS.

If you get on here when it is prime hours in other countries almost nobody posts. Turn your eye the other way. Why are those from other countries not starting threads and why don't their fellow countrymen post replies?

Another issue is that in some countries the people are too afraid to post here. Lack of freedom to do so or fear due their respective governments.

I'd love to see more posts from other countries and cultures to learn more about them. I often work late until the Americans stop posting and it gets boring.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
There is definately a heavy leaning in politics as being Amercian, I can list most of your politicians thanks to ATS

So the question is why people from other countries post? Should Americans stop posting (not directed at you) just because those from other countries don't?

With politics I'd say its because we feel free to say what we want and those from other countries don't. That must be part of it.

[edit on 10/19/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I suppose because they dont get paid much attention is why they dont.

I discuss world politics and news with hellmutt in mutter, infact he's great as spamming EUropean news. I do read my political news from Reuters, Al Jezeerah and AP. I pop into ATS american politics sometimes. I do read it, but the agression and partisan propoganda is just too much, esp when we are quite different where we come from. To an outsider, it really is the same as religious fundamentalism, just a different badge. The bickering is to make someone feel "I AM right" at the expense of your neighbours opinions and thoughts.
In OZ we cant stand ANY of our elected officials...lol
parties dont count.
The persepective on politics within ATS is very insular from within the US, I dont mean that as an insult, its purely a observation
I love my American buddies.

I would absolutely love to read threads on politics in Iraq and Afghanistan, by people from there experiencing it. Rather than people reporting it with a agenda. The agenda is always, pro or anti islam or Judaism or current American party in power. Which in itself is a reflection of American culture.

The world is moving to a collective with our technolgy and communications, but 19th century ideals on nationalism are the only thing shackling us, along with 2000 year old ideals on religion.

Ok now im getting on a soapbox, I'll hop down. Sorry, I get started easy....

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

The irony of course is that if we answer your question and justify the merit of such a thread it would be against the rules due to the nature of the topic.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I've learned so much about American politics since coming to ATS.
I feel I know a lot more than the average non-ATS American.

Seriously though, one thing I've found is how much of American politics correllates to our own, being allies and all. From Irag to Afghanistan and other policies that effect other countries around the world.

Australia takes on a lot of Americas policies, cash for clunkers and the home insulation scheme being 2 that come immediately to mind.
If I didn't come here, I'd think that Kevin Rudd thought of these schemes all on his little own.

As for American themed conspiracies of various natures, well Area 51, NASA,
JFK, and many others are centred in the States, so of course it's going to lean that way.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

It is prudent to kept abreast of shifts in U.S. policy both domestic and foreign .

You can be certain that smaller nations kept themselves well informed of going- ons in Rome , when they bestrode the known world .

Same thing regarding the British Empire .

===============================================

We are now the global villagers ....one and all .

===============================================

Carry on .

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

gday flighty

Dont slap me, But I disagree ;P

Seriously though, one thing I've found is how much of American politics correllates to our own, being allies and all. From Irag to Afghanistan and other policies that effect other countries around the world.

Our similar international POLICIES are a result of the Bush-Howard agenda, but our politics are different. The Rudd policies are now more focused on Asia, whilst dealing with the Afghanistan/Iraq legacy rather than ongoing war policy.

The partisan support for parties they have there that is reflected in their threads, Our elections are a nuisance more than anything. And we do not really politic according to labour /liberal in our everyday, its more like once elected there is a general consenus to get the "bastards", regardless of which party gets put in.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
ATS is an American institution allowing intellectual and evidential discussion on the economic world war on America, the battle for disclosure of secrets by US Military and US anchored global corporate cabal and many other things distinctly within the American domains. Your polarity is duly noted, but categorically non-seqiuter.

Like saying the Eiffel Tower is too French, or the South American rain forests are too South American.

I can extrapolate your context as you are not on US soil, but be objective, and, be proactive. We would very much value news for other places on Earth too.

Remember the credo; If you don't like the news, go out and make your own.

ZG

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I agree that Australia has it's own original accent regarding our political scene.
But I see a LOT of correlations with American politics too.

I'm sure Rudd and Labour keep a firm eye on the Obama adminstration and what they are doing. How else could we have had so similiar schemes with cash for clunkers, the roof insulation schemes, even the bailouts? I never once heard any local commentator state that Rudd lifted these straight from Obama and the Dems.
I told a few workmates this when it first was reported and they had no idea that these schemes (minus the bailouts) originated from the States.
These are only examples I can relate off the top of my head. It happens often.
So although our attitudes and political coverage might be different, I don't for a minute think that Rudd isn't getting a lot of his ideas from the States.
Financially and economically Oz might be more in line with China and South East Asia but culturally and politically we are more aligned with America IMO.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Nothing like being able to choose what you click on right? or having the freedom to add any content you like as long as you abide by the TandC's or even visiting ATS at all. I respect your point however, like many posters before have stated, user generated content is, user generated and although you have the ability to add content you do not have the ability to control what others add and would like to discuss.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

ATS is an American institution allowing intellectual and evidential discussion on the economic world war on America, the battle for disclosure of secrets by US Military and US anchored global corporate cabal and many other things distinctly within the American domains

Perhaps that text needs to be on the homepage?
Also added to the "about AboveTopSecret.com" page?

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I just joined and I never thought of the place as being too American.

It has stuff from all over the world. I've never seen so much material on a forum!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I think this is all because most of these weird, secret, black budget projects are executed by the US government. The whole UFO-phenomenon is very deeply assimilated in the US pop culture.

To be frank, we also get a lot of reports from Mexico, UK etc. All these subjects discussed in ATS are still basically very American. It doesn't really bother me at all.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I have to admit that I haven't read every single post in this thread but I think I kinda get the gist of the various viewpoints that have been put forward.

I too have felt that one or two of my threads deserved a little more attention and comment and at first I felt a little hard done by ... but if one looks at it objectively and notwithstanding the fact that most ATS'ers are American, I can understand that some of my posts wouldn't attract much comment simply because the majority of members probably don't know enough about the topics local to myself.

That said, I also get the feeling that too many members (and I say this with due respect) kinda have their heads too far up their own butts ... meaning that they focus on their country or region alone ... and this goes for people from all around the globe - not only our US friends. Of course, this is quite understandable because this is where we live our day to day lives and what we experience first hand. However, if one wants to get a more complete picture of what is going on on this planet, one has to widen one's scope of interest and pay attention to what's happening in other countries also.

Some times its actually harder to see what's going on right under your nose than when you can take more detached and distant view of events and incidents ... remember that the NWO is a WORLD order that encompasses all countries and one can often see them operating and working their agenda more clearly in what some call 3rd world countries.

So what I guess I am saying is this ... You can do well by educating yourself about what is going on in other countries around the world. I do believe that most people posting material about what is going on in their country, are doing so with pure intent and are bringing a stronger element of truth to the fore than the mass media does. It helps to read local opinion about various events and not to rely solely on the media to keep you abreast of what is really going on.

If you want to play connect the dots, then you must connect all the dots and not only from dot 1 to 50 ... no?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join