It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Too American!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
There are plenty of high quality threads from posters who are not American or American centric.

Aussies are there

Oh thanks Slayer, was looking were to post one of my favorite youtube videos revolving around ozzies...much appreciate.

I guess some wont be able to understand the humor in the video but to those who might, well, i hope you enjoy it.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
Almost, but there is nothing there about where the readers are from. I guess the perfect thing for my point is a list of what countries members are from, based on member IP

I saw that somewhere, I'll try to find it but if I recall properly it's about 50% American, the next 40% divvied up between, in order, UK, Canada and Oz. 10% from a LOT of different countries.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

I concur.

However you can't force people to respond to a topic if...

A. They are not interested

and

B. It has no bearing on their lives at the moment.

Isn't this just a matter of percentages? I mean the bulk of ATSers are American. Not only that but what the US does or fails to do becuase of it's influences around the world [Good/Bad/Indifferent] impacts more than just US citizens.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
As an American, I would love to hear about what is going on in other countries, especially from the people that live there. It's not like the news here will every say anything about it.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Almost, but there is nothing there about where the readers are from. I guess the perfect thing for my point is a list of what countries members are from, based on member IP

I saw that somewhere, I'll try to find it but if I recall properly it's about 50% American, the next 40% divvied up between, in order, UK, Canada and Oz. 10% from a LOT of different countries.

I believe this is what you and Misfit was looking for, by country

[edit on 19-10-2009 by tristar]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Your point is still moot, a lot of English speakers who are not American use the internet.

Look, it's not hard to understand: yes, lots on non-American English speakers do use the internet. However, of all the countries that speak English (as a first language), there's more Americans on-line than anyone else: more than the British, more than Australians, Canadians and so on.

Yes, they might all add up and appear to balance or offset a lot of the Americentric posting, but when it comes to country-specific interests and threads &c and that non-American English-speaking block is broken-up, those individual countries just can't compete in terms of numbers.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar

I believe this is what you and the other person was looking for, by country

Thanks, that's getting closer to what I think would help the OP and others. Although, that graph is simply the number of unique cookies (visits), in other words - readers, regardless of membership.

What would help the OP most would be a list from ATS, as to what countries its subscribers are from, not just readers.

But thank you still

And I am with Intrepid, coulda swore I once saw exactly what I am talking about - a member/country list.

[edit on 10/19/2009 by Misfit]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar

I believe this is what you and the other person was looking for, by country

Thanks, that's getting closer to what I think would help the OP and others. Although, that graph is simply the number of unique cookies (visits), in other words - readers, regardless of membership.

What would help the OP most would be a list from ATS, as to what countries its subscribers are from, not just readers.

But thank you still

And I am with Intrepid, coulda swore I once saw exactly what I am talking about - a member/country list.

[edit on 10/19/2009 by Misfit]

If you have an account in there you get a far more in depth look into your sites stats. But that applies to the site owners as that type of information is what hard core seo's are always mining for. Either way im glad i could be of some assistance.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by tristar]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I say Post what you know.

It's all too easy to crusade for a cause you know little about, let alone understand the cultural nuances of. Opinions are like those nether regions of the anatomy...everyone has one. However, to have insight into a subject, it requires having an intimate understanding of the cultural frame of reference of that subject.

As such, Americans are indeed better off commenting on things that occur in America, just as Aussies are best off commenting on things that occur in Australia, or Cannucks commenting on things that occur in their neck of the woods, and Continental Europeans commenting on those things that occur in Europe.

One of the greatest things about ATS being international is that we have a good part of the English-speaking world covered and represented. We are able to bring many different viewpoints together on issues, even when they don't pertain to our individual nations.

The world is shrinking in size every year as each of our nations become more globally minded. ATS is representative of that in that even the Americans here have to consider that there is an entire world that exists outside of the borders of the United States. However, it still remains the prerogative of each of us to cover what we personally know.

I fully understand that I wouldn't be the best person to contribute on the immorality of State run Domestic Spying in the U.K. being that I live in the U.S. Granted, I might want to inquire of those Brits here on ATS, what the heck is going on over there and why they are so politely taking it from their Parliament when we Americans are taking our government to court over those same issues that they tried to enact in inspiration from their counterparts overseas. I'd rather hear the opinion of someone living in the U.K. than an American pontificating about U.K. issues.

Likewise, I realize that I'm probably in the best position to give insight into those things happening this side of the pond. I know that most of the EU has been shaking their heads in disbelief for the past decade wondering what we Americans are thinking to allow the things our government has done go on all this time. I may not be able to speak for all Americans, but I can give them insight into at least what some Americans think, and are doing about it.

Think Globally, Act Locally...and that is what it comes down to.

On ATS, we are all on the same side...it's all of us vs. ignorance and disinformation, whatever it's source. Neither ignorance, nor disinformation know any Nationality. No country can claim sole ownership over either. So, it comes down to each of us having to root it out wherever we may find it and bring it to light. It's not just an American thing, nor does it need to be. Wherever ignorance or disinformation exist, then any who oppose it, regardless of Nationality are more than welcome as far as I am concerned.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Time for the smack down.

I won't repeat the things others have said, because you obviously ignored them OP since you live in a narrow view of the world and ignore anything that disagrees with your view.

One of my BEST threads ever was "62 Kids meet Aliens in Zimbabwe"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Was I talking about Americans in America? Is Zimbabwe in America?

I got a huge amount of replies to that thread. And guess what? I'm American.

I have a MAJOR issue with this ignorance that affects people worldwide.

Let me guess, I bet YOU think your government is innocent and NEVER does anything wrong. It's all America's fault isn't it?America the "great satan" .

Sigh.

Why don't you criticize your own government? Why don't you reveal the lies that YOUR local media crams down your throat?

OH I forgot....You probably believe EVERY WORD your media says!

Despite the FACT that your media is controlled by the same Internationalists that control my media!

Despite the fact that your government is controlled by the same Internationalists that control my government.

This mentality is no better than the ignorant bigoted "American redneck" crap. Seriously. Get a grip.

Heres a new category for this crap:

International Rednecks.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I would also like to add.

As an American, I pride myself on the fact that I keep myself up to speed on International politics and news.

I am up to speed on the Lisbon Treaty (God have mercy on you Euro's!)

I read Aussie politics almost daily.

I am aware of the happenings in the Middle East.

I find Chinese news extremely interesting and follow it often.

I check the Russian press for updates.

I'll even read the Indian press to see whats going on over there too!

I love reading about Japan

Hell even the great nations in Africa, I make it my business to know about what goes on over there too!

I can find any obscure nation on a map quickly and relate what current events are taking place there and how it relates to the larger global picture.

Did you know about Operation Enduring Freedom taking place in Philippines or Kyrgyzstan???!!

Wanna talk Indonesian politics? Lets do it!

So, again, the term "International Redneck" comes to mind here in regards to the blatant ridiculousness of the OP.

En garde!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by reasonable
Getting rid of the American evangelicals and right wing extremists on here would be a great start, but I can't see that happening.. Those two profiles are ultra "American" and basically resent having to share this planet with anyone else..

Yet, in a thread which you started, you say that Internet forums should be unmoderated, to allow the reader to choose what to read and what to ignore.

You want the freedom to decide what to view, yet you want the site to get rid o what YOU don't want to be here.

A bit of hypocrisy eh?

Not really. My beef in that thread is with bias moderation, which in turn has an agenda and results in closed discussion. If there was no bias moderation and total open discussion i would ignore the loonies.. but the discussion is not open to begin with imo.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Smack down ? It's more like receiving a askance glance from an overdone kipper.

Your Zimbabwe thread is four years old. And during that intervening period it's received 12 flags. There's a thread currently in "recent posts" about a robot shaped like a blob which enjoys greater success.

62 kids see aliens ... robot blob ... mm yours is certainly the better story. But had it been American children seeing little green men your thread would've been up with the Gods.

Shot yourself in the foot with that one.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Here's one for you then....

The UK police

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
62 kids see aliens ... robot blob ... mm yours is certainly the better story. But had it been American children seeing little green men your thread would've been up with the Gods.

I'm an American, here are some threads that did very well without a hint of America centric overtones. It is possible you know?

Ancient America Rocked!

Olmec Giant Stone Heads Mystery Solved?

Origins of Atlantis/Lemuria Myths Part-1

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Being an American citizen and having stepped onto foreign soil before I post about anything and everything I want to on here, whether the story or thread is about America, or about Hugo Chavez, and the Bilderberg Group.

I try not to focus on just American stories because unless it is a conspiracy or Washington D.C. our country is quite boring as Hell.

With all due respect to the original poster, you may notice Americanism a lot, but have you honestly been through every single page on ATS?

I think not.

I bet not even a single Administrator, Super-Moderator, or Moderator can even make that claim, albeit I bet some of them have come damn close.

There is a Google Function on the upper right hand side of the screen.

Use it and punch any country, other than America, and I bet you will find all sorts of topics about other countries, conspiracies, or otherwise.

I know for a fact I have spoken on Germany, both Nazi and regular, Australia because I've been there three times, Venezuela because of Hugo Chavez, Brazil because of the failed Olympic bid of Obama and I even hypothesized the President blew that particular bid just to get the Olympics hosted in Brazil to be hosted closer to Chavez and Venezuela's oil, Asia having to do with Avian Flu, and a host of other countries.

Have fun, and open your eyes a bit wider, you might just catch other countries.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
In regards to demographics, for those who were wondering.

If you click the link near the bottom of the page, the quantcast one and there is a link on there for demographics of who visits this site.

The first page out of 13 -

Country Uniques (Cookies) Uniques % Uniques Index Visits % Visits Index
United States 896,386 60.38 124 60.64 104
United Kingdom 145,755 9.82 206 11.21 292
Canada 93,564 6.30 182 6.95 204
Australia 45,153 3.04 230 3.48 300
India 28,103 1.89 103 1.02 94
Germany 17,465 1.18 42 1.19 69
Netherlands 14,052 0.95 107 1.16 174
Philippines 9,882 0.67 65 0.41 42
Ireland 9,731 0.66 179 0.59 251
France 9,604 0.65 25 0.52 25
Sweden 9,107 0.61 133 0.75 172
New Zealand 8,796 0.59 254 0.68 327
South Africa 8,190 0.55 262 0.48 282
Brazil 7,997 0.54 22 0.41 25
Italy 7,964 0.54 27 0.45 27
Finland 6,864 0.46 149 0.66 275

Pretty much sums up why there is so much American content.

[edit on 10/19/09 by Hypntick]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala

Your Zimbabwe thread is four years old. And during that intervening period it's received 12 flags.

Ahh but there was no flag feature on ATS when it was created.

At the time it generated a good deal of interest. And it generated some good controversy and questioning and research.

It could have gone alot further but circumstance pretty much killed it.

IMO if it came out today it would have done far better "flag wise".

Just a point for consideration.

Also what I meant was "it was one of MY best threads". I suck at making threads that get anywhere. So considering that, it did well.

For example my two favorite threads that I posted never got off the ground, and stalled out rather quickly.

"Native America the first melting pot"

Great topic, however WarrenB and Slayer both have done it justice and actually generated some interest in regards to it. (Thank you guys for helping popularize the subject so often overlooked)

They have a following here and great personalities, and so they were able to bring far more attention to it. I am not so lucky. I just cannot generate interest the way those guys can.

But the point still stands, ATS has no bounds for discussion. And we LOVE discussing anything.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

But the point still stands, ATS has no bounds for discussion. And we LOVE discussing anything.

That's untrue.

We are NOT allowed to discuss the human consumption of naturally growing herbs, roots and mushrooms just because the authorities have declared them as illegal.

ATS still has censorship.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by mr-lizard]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Not all the authorities represented by the ATS demographic though

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join