It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Earthquake Swarm at Yellowstone- October 14, 2009

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Not Authorized

Ready to pay attention?

I could say the same as you as you probably don't know of the plethora of other caldera super volcano systems that could potentially 'wipe out the species as we know it'.

I'm willing to bet that you do not know about active and ancient super volcano systems that were stronger than some of the Yellowstone eruptions, or nearly matched it in strength.

That's right, Yellowstone isn't the only one.
As far as the other calderas, mention any of them I mentioned and get a blank stare even on this forum, but Yellowstone -- OMG DISCOVERY CHANNEL SAYS ITS GOING TO BLOW! PANIC!

Wow - you sound angry.

I know about the others -
I don't have a blank stare on my face.

I never saw the Discovery Channel special on Yellowstone.

I track all of the volcanoes - earthquakes - floods - etc. Have for years.

I don't think we should ever discourage people from looking at the information available and make them feel like fools for researching, learning, tracking and discussing amongst themselves - and the poster that I originally posted to was doing just that.

Now - please go be angry at someone else.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

No, I'm only mad at Time Warner. I mean... reeeeeeeally mad. Here I am, a loyal customer for 12 years, one of the first people to get their cable modem service in this city, over $200 a month since then for their "services," and what do they do? They do their best to make my life miserable by blocking my IP two or three times a day, at 3am or just after they know I've gone to work. If they weren't literally a monopoly in my neighborhood, I'd have switched away from them years ago. They are Hobson's ISP. "Take us, or you get NOTHING."

"But don't you know you can get a static IP for only $15 a month more?" people say to me, and yeah, I do know that. But WHY?? It does not cost them a single penny to give someone a static IP, so why should I pay extra for it?? I'm already paying $55 a month for "Road Runner Turbo with PowerBoost(tm)", which gets me like 10 mbps here in Austin, but in Dallas (the *RICH* parts of Dallas) the same damn price gets them 15 mbps! Now tell me they aren't evil. Either that, or nobody working there has more neurons than teeth.

Okay, rant over... don't wanna create a TL;DR situation. Where were we, umm... oh.

You're welcome. :-)

---------------

(Wow; someone starred this?? Must be time for a revolution!)

[edit on 10/15/2009 by Thought Provoker]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
600 microns, H17A BHE
Registering on I17A and LKWY as well but appears strongest at h17a
BHE. north south is about 450 microns and 200 for vertical

it's followed by a 5 swarm, largest movement north-south at about 25 microns.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by undo]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Last one:

TrueAmerican: as I said before, most of them appear to be occurring near the caldera rim south of Yellowstone park, as this map from UUSS shows (by the way they've added a 2.4 magnitude from last hour):

www.seis.utah.edu...

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

h17a BHE was at 600 microns on that one you have posted
hey, correct me if i'm wrong but did they just calibrate it?

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Just got another shock at H17A, and this might be the biggest so far. These seem to be consistently closest to H17A, which is right on the southern end of the western thumb of Lake Yellowstone at Grant Village. These may be occurring under the lake the way the other ones were, even though most of those were further north in the lake.

edit: yeah I see you guys are on it- sorry, but as I said my net connection is bad- it is intermittent, so I can see sometimes, then it goes out and I am blind. And yeah, H17A and also WY.YMS putting that right where you say.

So the question is, what exactly is going on. Is this magma movement? I checked the ground deformation charts, and not sure, but there seems to be some activity there too.

[edit on Thu Oct 15th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

are we only interested in vertical movement?
cause east west has been consistently the biggest in every example i've seen so far.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

Lol, that was me... the star was for the quick response and the last two words.

I just starred the whole page so someone doesn't start that revolution by throwing their cable modem through the cable provider's window.

edit to add:

There, now the post isn't off-topic.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by lernmore]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo

h17a BHE was at 600 microns on that one you have posted
hey, correct me if i'm wrong but did they just calibrate it?

Sorry, I don't know if it's been recalibrated or not.
I've probably missed it.

This new swarm could be due to many reasons, but one possibility is that it could be due to the recent caldera deflating trend which is most evident near the Sour Creek resurgent dome (but the GPS station near where the earthquakes are actually occurring doesn't seem to be indicating any significant ground deformation change).

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

explain caldera deflation? it sounds like a good thing, as opposed to caldera inflation. hehe
HOWEVER, anytime the ground moves in new ways, i suppose it could be an issue. what's it mean?

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

As the word says, it means that the caldera is deflating. This is occurring mainly north of Yellowstone lake though (Sour Creek dome)
Have a look at these ground deformation charts:

pboweb.unavco.org...
pboweb.unavco.org...

* Seeing them again, maybe it's really not deflating, but it has definitely slowed down noticeably since the December 2008 swarm.

EDIT:

By the way, I wonder why water discharge from Yellowstone lake has markedly gone up in the last few days:

waterdata.usgs.gov...

How is it the weather at Yellowstone recently? Is it snowing hard?
This earthquake swarm could probably also be due to snow meltwater lubricating faults.

[edit on 2009-10-15 by Shirakawa]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
MAP 2.9 2009/10/15 22:20:09 38.248 -112.616 0.3 UTAH

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

This is several hundred miles south of Yellowstone.
I don't think it's directly related.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

if i'm forming the right picture in my mind, there's an area around the north edge that is sinking, whereas the east side is rising??

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

lol i feel like i'm in seismology class 101.
lubricating deflating/inflating calderas.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
What are the chances that the volcanic caldera at Yellowstone will blow sky high like Mount St Helens? Most folks would be dead in the USA if that happened,considering the size of the caldera.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

No, sorry, maybe "deflating" wasn't the correct term. At the moment all GPS stations are recording either a neutral or a very slightly inflating trend (after a period of slow deflation during the last few months) in vertical ground deformation.

reply to post by BigDaveJr

The chances of a super eruption are very very very (x3) small.
The chances of a smaller eruption similar to mt St.Helens are very small.

Before an eruption I think we would first have to see very evident changes in geyser patterns/temperatures and ground deformation.

[edit on 2009-10-15 by Shirakawa]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Heh, for all our grief, the USGS finally posted that last 2.5 to equake alert. They snuck it in there on us....

Unless you were a GEE watcher or an ATS member, you'd never know anything was going on. The YVO hasn't even updated their site on this since Oct. 1.

And to those complaining that we are sounding an unnecessary alarm, leave me out of that please. I've already said I wasn't calling for flags for this thread, nor have I freaked out that the sky is falling. And I damn sure haven't said anything about no eruption.

That said, I don't see any reason why I can't post a thread when a YS swarm starts, in the spirit of discussion. I thought that's what we were here for?

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

keep it updated anything like this is a good enough reason to keep it going haters are everywhere look over them

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
wow this thread is rapidly growing fast! i bet if this activity keeps up we may have a new yellowstone giant... i mean thread...

i was here for the last one, followed it with mild interest, and i will do the same here.

nie post to the O.P. and it iwll be fun to step into a branch of science that i dont know well.

-Wx

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join