It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Earthquake Swarm at Yellowstone- October 14, 2009

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

3.0 magnitude is generally regarded to be the threshold of human sensitivity to earthquakes in normal conditions.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Given how shallow this one was (.9mi), and the density of the population down there a few people felt it, but doubt there will be any damage reported. I haven't looked though.

Here's a USGS "Did you feel it" page for this quake.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
do we need a new YS thread? all tho im sure this one is as great as the first one .

i started noticeing the new swarm a few days ago, but im net sucks these days and i just would have added to the old thread but starting a new one is a good idea too because folks tend to forget about the first one and it may get lost .

lets just wait and what happens if anything.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Well, for all intents and purposes (knock on wood) this swarm appears to be over. So I will agree now that it was not as intense, overall as the last one. And I have been monitoring the entire park very carefully since it started.

That said, just a while ago another microquake occurred in the range of 1.5 to 2 magnitude in the same area. But that appeared to be a solo shot. Haven't seen much of anything since.

But this was another swarm, make no mistake about it. And I still don't understand why the YVO has made no mention of it, other than maybe to them it was not significant enough to mention it.

However, in closing, I just want to mention that one of the supposed characteristics of an impending eruption is multiple earthquake swarms. And yet the YVO has right on their website that swarms are normal at Yellowstone. It is stuff like this that keeps me in a state of confusion over Yellowstone. And I really have to wonder if the reason this swarm has not been addressed is because they just don't need the additional aggravation of having to announce that there has been another swarm. They are used to it, and only recently is the public having to get used to it.

So that's it. Get used to it. We are going to see more swarms and even a large quake or two, and it is still no reason to fear any imminent eruption.

So they say.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
lol, I knew it! No sooner than I made that post, another "solo shot" just hit. It is small, 1 to 1.5, but definitely a quake- registered on many stations.

So they say.

And oh, one last thing (unless something substantial happens I might be back)-

I just want to thank all of our bright and esteemed ATS members for participating in these discussions!

[edit on Sun Oct 18th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
video.msn.com...

Volcanoes, nature's super-exteme-adrenaline rush.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thanks for all your attention to detail and keeping us updated. As a parting thought I did a back of the envelop analysis of the size of the "bulge " that may be under Lake Yellowstone as a result of the latest swarm and it may be as much as 150 acre feet or a 150 acre area rise of 1.0 feet. Can anyone help me on this?

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

No, I say keep the old thread alive. It won't get lost and it contains so much good info that it would be an enormous shame for it to sink into oblivion.

(We have to get to 500 pages anyway)

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by alysha.angel

No, I say keep the old thread alive. It won't get lost and it contains so much good info that it would be an enormous shame for it to sink into oblivion.

(We have to get to 500 pages anyway)

thanks for the thumbs up puterman...

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join