It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cluster 7.0+ Magnitude Earthquakes Hit Vanuatu & Santa Cruz Islands

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
No reports of damages in yet or injurys, "Fingers crossed"

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
i wonder what effects these quakes and the others from last week will have on the other plates around the globe.

Im in New Zealand and we could easily get a big one here.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
OT: sorry, haven't been on ATS for awhile. Did the EX tags change for using text from other websites? Don't want to copy and paste incorectly.
thanks

link   

Originally posted by Shirakawa
Any tsunami warnings for the area?
The last big quakes cause much damage mainly because of them.

Yeah, my work puts out warnings for the Australian area (so i get the warnings as soon as they come out). We currently have a possibility of one hitting northern queensland, however in saying that, no Tsunamis have been observed as of yet.

Will update when I get the next warning

link   
Just to update on the mag,

7.8 followed by a 7.3 followed by a 6.6.. according to BNO news

(Edit- Now confirmed above info)

[edit on 7-10-2009 by asala]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
i wonder what effects these quakes and the others from last week will have on the other plates around the globe.

Im in New Zealand and we could easily get a big one here.

Apparently the last 8.0 Samoa earthquake has triggered a lava dome collapse at Chaiten volcano in Chile:

volcanism.wordpress.com...

[edit on 2009-10-7 by Shirakawa]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Holy Cow!!!

S America...Yukon...

It's getting deep fast!

twitter.com...

BULLETIN -- TSUNAMI WARNINGS ISSUED FOR VANUATU, SOLOMON ISLANDS, FIJI, PAPUA NEW GUINEA, AND OTHER ISLANDS.40 minutes ago from BNO Headquarters

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Tsunami warning: New Zealand

Just watch Lunch time news New Zealand again under Tsunami warning expected arrival times NZST 2:00 pm to 5:00pm along both east coast and West coast

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
New caladonia being evacuated to higher ground, Waves expected to hit in just under 1 hour

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenfruit
Tsunami warning: New Zealand

Just watch Lunch time news New Zealand again under Tsunami warning expected arrival times NZST 2:00 pm to 5:00pm along both east coast and West coast

Just remember before everyone panics....no Tsunami has been observed yet....

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

A SECOND major earthquake has hit Vanuatu, this time recording a magnitude of 7.3 on the Richter scale.

The US Geological Survey reports the second quake struck 330km north-west of Santo, almost on top of the original 7.8 quake which struck at 22:08 local time (09:08 AEDT).

The second quake struck 10 minutes later at a depth of 35km.

www.news.com.au...

MAGNITUDE 6.7 earthquake has struck south-east of the Sulu archipelago of the Philippines, the US Geological Survey said.

The epicenter of the quake, which struck at 05:41 local time (07.41 AEST) today, was located 297km south-east of Jolo on the Sulu archipelago.

The depth was 582km, the agency said.

Initially, the U.S. Geological Survey registered a 6.9 magnitude quake.

www.news.com.au...

so much activity lately!

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
mpoppel
twitter.com...

# Such big earthquakes often cause false readings, so they have a lot of data to go through. But there have been aftershocks, they are working4 minutes ago from TweetDeck

# USGS not yet able to confirm the 6.6 magnitude. They are overwhelmed.4 minutes ago from TweetDeck

# The Pacific Tsunami Warning center needs to work on their servers! It's unacceptable that their site is down during alerts.14 minutes ago from TweetDeck

# 3rd quake appears to be a 6.6.15 minutes ago from TweetDeck

# Reports coming in. 3rd earthquake.20 minutes ago from TweetDeck

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Tsumani warning in South Pacific

A tsunami warning has been issued for Papua New Guinea and island nations in the south-west Pacific after a 7.8-magnitude earthquake off Vanuatu.

The epicentre was 295km (180 miles) north-northwest of Vanuatu's largest island, Santo, at a depth of 35km (21.7 miles), the US Geological Survey said.

There have so far been no immediate reports of injuries of damage.

More than 170 people died last week when a tsunami triggered by an quake hit Samoa, American Samoa and Tonga.

Earlier on Wednesday, a 6.7-magnitude quake struck off the Philippines, but no tsunami warning was issued.

Shortly after the earthquake off Vanuatu struck at 2203 GMT, the Pacific Region Headquarters of the US National Weather Service said a tsunami warning was in effect for Vanuatu, the Solomon Islands, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Tuvalu, New Caledonia, Fiji, Kiribati, Kosrae, Wallis and Futuna, and the Howland and Baker islands.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Fiji are now ordering evacuations,

Edit for appalling spelling lol

[edit on 7-10-2009 by asala]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Figi are now ordering evacuations,

New country eh?

You mean Fiji?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I personally don't recall this much 'large' activity in one day. Has anyone else? Crazy!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I think another big earthquake occurred right now, I don't know about its magnitude though, it has yet to appear on the USGS list.

EDIT
This one
earthquake.usgs.gov...
not as big as I thought, though.

[edit on 2009-10-7 by Shirakawa]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
from Iris

07-OCT-2009 22:18:43 -13.68 164.71 7.3 35.0 VANUATU ISLANDS REGION
07-OCT-2009 22:03:15 -13.05 166.19 7.8 35.0 VANUATU ISLANDS

[edit on 7-10-2009 by violet]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by EDteach
I personally don't recall this much 'large' activity in one day. Has anyone else? Crazy!!!

Yes

In the ring of fire...or the area which surrounds the pacific ocean, thes places are notorious for having mulitple quakes.

Good to see that they have taken the appropriate precaustion and moved people to higher ground.

Now warning from our departemtn yet about wether or not a Tsunami has been confirmed

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

A +154.64 Micron/sec is coming in on GEE right now at UI.AFI.00...

so aftershocks continue...

[edit on 10/7/2009 by Hx3_1963]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join