It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those Stinking Homeless Should Go Get Jobs!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
Tent cities certainly aren't new. Yeah, some of the 'homeless' people have better tents than I do and I work for a living.
(did that just come out?)

There was another time in America's history where tent cities were necessary. This famous photograph?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/09382fdb4d5e.jpg[/atsimg]

The woman had just SOLD her family's tent so that she could buy food.

No, homelessness is by no means a new thing, nor is it limited to the United States.

Here's a story from Japan. Not new, but not too old.

www.asianews.it...

Perhaps, given the 'late-model' nature of some of the tents shown, there are several different 'classes' of homeless.

"oh those Johnson...you, know them there nouveau homeless have no idea what it REALLY means to be homeless."

I suppose if one has a tent, then that probably puts him in the upper crust of homelessness.

It's easy to blame the government, federal or state, or charities, or the homeless themselves. It's a lot easier to do that than admit that I've been the problem all along. I failed these people.

I think this photo is also featured in the book "The Family of Man".

(Please don't be too hard on yourself, let us do that for you)!

Between your thread here today and SD's eviction thread yesterday highlighting the tangible effects of the market downturn it's apparent we really are failing to hold our representative's feet to the fire. By allowing the focus to continually remain on banking institution's and wall street's diminished clout, and while abstractions are argued out the yin yang the real
time desperation is getting little or no national attention. It's dealt with in the more palpable form of statistics of the unemployed (ignoring statistics of the homeless--the media favors reporting on the statistics of unoccupied homes!).

S&F

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
reply to post by oneclickaway

LOL....did I read that you were 19? You have not been at anything for a long hard time. So even when you talk about working, you probably have been working for what...a year? Try lecturing everyone when you have been working all the hours for 20 or 30 years. Let's see what you think then. You don't know you are born yet....you just think you do.

aw dude, I never said i was 19, don't know why you think I did. Someone else earlier said that I said i was in a war...I'M NOT 19! I'VE NEVER FOUGHT IN A WAR. I like how i get repeatedly called judgmental in this thread, and yet other posters have gone as far as to come up with facts about me which aren't true. That's judging on some weird pathological level.

Like I said this site has lost its mind...

so yeah reread what i said and then respond.

All good points man... Just found this thread and I have to say that it's disturbing how people DISAGREE with us.

Yes, I feel sorry for people that are down on their luck and are losing their homes... I happen to be unemployed myself (At 26, and I haven't fought in a war either).

The fact is though that there are a LOT of people out there that A) Don't want a job/choose to be homeless, B) Made poor life choices like taking out a huge ARM on a new house when they can't afford it then being foreclosed on when their interest rates skyrocket, etc.

I feel no pity for these people (the ones I mentioned above) either, and I don't think that it should be my responsibility to support them with my tax money (Yes, they tax me on my unemployment even though it's my money to begin with) or my Wife's tax money who's struggling to put in enough hours while also trying to go to school to better herself. We're struggling to stay afloat, so why is it our responsibility to save the people who already went under because they made bad choices or just don't care.

I also agree with LiguidSmoke that I don't feel horrible for the people that did all the RIGHT things and are homeless right now. I've been through a lot of events in my life that have taught me valuable life lessons I never would have had a chance to learn otherwise.

Maybe these people who did everything right will be sure they have a safety net next time (like I did with 6 months income in a savings account and a ROTH IRA to draw on), or not try to live above their means.

~Peace

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
To each their own. (regarding some of the comments on this thread)

When human beings evolved, we lived in smaller communities, more or less outside.
Sure we made shelters or took refuge in natural formations, but we were community none the less.
Every one had their function.
Everyone know what they had to do.
In modern times, this philosophy as well as way of doing things is largely lost to us.
We work at jobs that do nothing for the community but beget more and more profit for the corporations.
We own nothing, not even our own lives.
We learn skills that serve no purpose but that of profit.
We live in societies, not communities, and the societies in general encourage monetary as well a moral decay if you cannot keep up with the status quo.

I am not advocating that we return to the wilderness, although at this point it sounds better every day, but I am advocating community.
When a person is hard on luck or just plain broken, the community can step in and take them in and help them either get back on their feet or help them to survive. This doesn't happen anymore because everyone is so worried about themselves.
Those that turn to the darker aspects of existance(drugs) are no doubt the rejected, but are we not our brother's keepers?
It all comes down to choice.
don't take what I say as 100% literal.
It's merely an idea, with obvious flaws, that could use some work and expanding upon.
Try to understand what it is that I am saying.

When a person looses their home, who else cares when it's happening?
People just like to point after the fact.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by reticledc

We work at jobs that do nothing for the community but beget more and more profit for the corporations.

Can you describe these jobs that do nothing for the community and just funnel money into big corporations? When I worked at Sara Lee (Fortune 500 Multinational Food/Beverage/Home Care/Beauty Supply corporation) I was a Customer Service Account Manager. Yes, I worked for one of these evil corporations.

Well, I guess you could view my job as doing nothing for the community... However, my job was to manage our relationships and shipping between our company and the stores. You see... when a company says "We're out of food" we're able to take all of our evil money, terrible polluting factories, and our massive poison belching shipping fleet to supply the food to them so they can feed their families.

Sara Lee as an example gives huge amounts of money to charity and makes food more affordable to consumers. It's like that with any company. And who cares if they make a profit... is that bad? That allows them to pay their employees, and expand their businesses to give the people more things that they need or want.

We own nothing, not even our own lives.

I own my life... I have 1 Credit Card with a 0 Balance, no mortgage, a small yet affordable car payment on an economy car (something I could actually afford), and owe nothing on any of my major appliances... Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you here.

We learn skills that serve no purpose but that of profit.

If you want to be narrow minded like that sure! Profit is great! As I mentioned before, when a company makes a profit they're able to buy more efficient equipment, hire better trained people, or expand product lines for consumers making things that were once unaffordable now affordable!

Do you remember when homes PC's came out and it was $5,000 for a green screen apple computer? Now you can get them for $199 at Jewel (actually saw one yesterday) because these EVIL corporations made their DEMONIC profits and were able to give consumers affordable products. Without these evil corporations you wouldn't be posting on ATS right now... unless you can build a computer from scratch. And I mean from scratch... like refining silicon yourself (can't get a company to do it for you!) all the custom machining work for a case (better have metalworking skills!) all of the soldering... but wait... you wouldn't have a soldering gun unless you knew how to make one... in fact, you wouldn't even have the metal for the previously mentioned case unless you know how to mine, refine, and press iron...

I can keep going on and on here but I think you get the point.

We live in societies, not communities, and the societies in general encourage monetary as well a moral decay if you cannot keep up with the status quo.

Society doesn't encourage it... I think more than anything society/schools have stopped teaching people how to be responsible and look out for themselves.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by IHIPrelude94]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by IHIPrelude94

(missed this I guess)

don't take what I say as 100% literal. It's merely an idea, with obvious flaws, that could use some work and expanding upon. Try to understand what it is that I am saying. When a person looses their home, who else cares when it's happening? People just like to point after the fact.

I could argue with you about everything you have said, but I won't.
Not because I lack the aptitude, but because you are entitled to your opinion.

Just for the record, I never used the term "evil".

What I am trying to say is that when one person in a community fails, the community fails.
The community (that cares) will prop up the weakest link and help them get back on their feet, or until such time as another person can fulfill the role.

I am not saying that there are not positive aspects of society, but if anyone thinks they own their own life, they are gravely mistaken.
Go to work, don't pay taxes on the money you've made, walk into a store and refuse to pay sales tax, drive a car without a license or insurance and find out exactly how free you are.
Just a few examples.

As I said, there are positive aspects to modern society, such as our technology, and logistics, but should they fail, do we curl up and die, because they are no longer there?
Of course not.

Every family, has a sense of community. A family is supposed to help out struggling members, at least in my family they do. as time goes on, families can become distant, and members get lost or fall on hard times. Sometimes there is no one to help them out.

I know what it's like to be homeless, and all the working skills I had did nothing for me because I had no one to help me.
I had to live out of the back of my truck because I could not afford an apartment, I lost my job, and I had no place else to crash, because I have no family left, and no one could give a rats ass about me.
Did I deserve to wind up homeless? I don't think so. I just screwed up a bit and did not plan properly.

Over time I got myself back on my feet by myself. A lot of people cannot muster that kind of fortitude, and they cave in, from despair and hopelessness.

Everything I knew was shaken to the core. If I wanted to stay in the area I was in, I had to make due. And let me tell you, I found out who my friends really were.

The point is, the larger a society gets, the more likely people will slip through the cracks, never to be seen or heard from again.
All the comments I made earlier are meant to emphasize that.
The skills I had at the time could not keep me off the street.
That was part of my learning process, and I assure you, it won't happen again. This is where my other point comes in.
I have a few people that I can call friends. Should one of them screw up like I did, they know that they can come to me for help. Because they are true friends, they won't just do it on purpose.
I can and have put several of my friends up on their feet, even though I was barely keeping myself afloat at the time.
That is what is important to me.
How many people out there have that?
I am sure not as many as we would like to think.
How do these people end up like they do?
Some by choice, some by screw up, some by drugs, some by being sick, but all by being hopeless, and having no one to fall back on.

People may live in the streets, but they are living, and home is where the heart is, and if you "live in your heart, that's a pretty big place to live".

[edit on 10/2/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Perhaps some of the economic recovery would entail making insolated tents for the homeless. The homeless afterall tend to usually have some funds. It may keep them warmer in the winter.

Just a thought I just had.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

(missed this I guess)

don't take what I say as 100% literal. It's merely an idea, with obvious flaws, that could use some work and expanding upon. Try to understand what it is that I am saying. When a person looses their home, who else cares when it's happening? People just like to point after the fact.

Nope, I didn't miss it, but I did misunderstand what you were saying. I was discussing the first paragraph in your post which sounded (to me) like you were implying that people are just sheeple and part of a massive corporate machine that do absolutely nothing but train people to make a profit. Profit is the end game and there is nothing else that is done. See below

Also, in response to the below comment:

Just for the record, I never used the term "evil".

I know you didn't use the term "evil" and I never said that you did. I had assumed (poorly I guess) that you were making the previous implications.

I'm very sorry that you had to go through being homeless, but like I said in my previous post (and I'm sure you'd agree to some extent) these people are going to learn things that WILL change their lives... wouldn't you say you feel more stable now? Would you say you're happier and have a greater respect for what you do have now? Wouldn't that be something you think they'd pass down to their children so they're prepared and don't make the same mistakes?

I'm saying that people need to realize that the economy collapsing is having a huge impact on a LOT of people that feel entitled to everything, wracked up huge debt for no reason, and are now paying for it.

In this day and age, the government is going to take more of my money as my family struggles to survive to help some people that deserve it and a LOT of people that don't. I don't think that it's necessarily fair for me to be punished for other people making poor decisions, nor do I think that it should be my responsibility. I also believe that the government needs to be more careful when creating laws that let some people make devastating decisions because they feel that people have a right to a certain item (like a home)

I guess my point is that we're guaranteed life, liberty, and the PURSUIT of happiness, but are not guaranteed equal results... stuff happens and what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger right? I've been through some real rough patches as well (not as bad as you) and I know that it taught me things that have made me a much stronger person. In Nature, we have natural selection... but in a society the size of ours, we lack it because everyone wants to help everyone regardless of the cost and how much money we have as a society.

Meh... I'm grumpy and out of it because I still haven't eaten yet today... lol. I'll be back later.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by IHIPrelude94

I am glad that despite how we may have viewed one another's compositions, that we could both look past our own predilections towards society.
That is growth. That is the basis of community.
I can only hope that those people that have no choice in the matter might find equal solace.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Most of the homeless people (especially now) are either down on their luck, have mental problems and no one to take care of them, or are hooked on chemicals (yes, drugs). Were they fools for trying the drug in the first place? Yes! Did they deserve to have their lives ruined for one bad decision? NO!

They do deserve to get their lives ruined if they are junkies. It wasn't just one bad decision, and their are many organizations like missions, rehabilitation centers, churches, and poorly run government programs(do try to avoid the last one) that they could seek help from, but don't.

They don't want help if they are continuing their habits and continuing to avoid anyone that is willing to lend a hand.

As for people with mental disabilities or disorders, I do feel very bad about them.

Here is a good way to solve this problem. Lower taxes so people will have extra money and more people could donate to charities. The government programs have just made this worse, but private charities have been effective, but underfunded.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
May I just remind ppl, Off the U.S.A. UNITED. STATES. OF. AMERICA. and the U.K. UNITED. KINGDOM...And the A.T.W. AND THE REST OF THE WORLD ................ of this very commpassionate thought,

Screw the homeless...the lazy bums!! Billionares, CEO's, and stockholders should be able to waste money on garbage and sap the wealth of the average person...all the while pushing for companies to move overseas to raise stock values at the lost of jobs to the American worker.

Screw the poor...screw the homeless.

So many selfish a-holes on these boards anymore...I'm glad some people have some sense about them still.

Thanks for the thread KSpigpen. S/F.

Yes KSpigpen thank you....Thank you that WE the ATS FAMILY! Can express our views......

Well....This is my view.....Its not long.....How the hell can you not give a thought for these ppl....IT COULD BE YOU....IT COULD BE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................................................................................................................In the 1930s and 40s, VERY RICH PPL THOUGHT THE SAME THING....OH IT WONT HAPPEN TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geuss what it did...............................IN A MAJOR WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God said it best......................I came with with water, the next time Ill come with fire!

Me.....I say just show some love ppl....IT COULD BE YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER IN THE FUTUTER.......

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

Well it would seem to me, that you have gone on your rants as a justification for you to judge whoever you feel. Homeless people are lazy bums who not only deserve it, but want it hmm?? Thank God this is America because yes you do have that right! Just as I have the right to judge you.

Now let the judging commense! you said this:

I have growing up to do? yer the one judging me by my avatar. It is me, what of it? You don't know anything about it. Do you? Well do you?

Well yes, sir! Normally this would not be morally correct, but since you feel it's ok to judge those who are homeless based on what you "see" everyday, then perhaps it's not so bad someone judge you, just as you might judge me for say, a 'hippy' based on my avatar? Based on your picture alone, you are a wanna-be thug kid with a white hoody and gun because you feel that makes you "hard", in terms of societies standards. That's great you have 2 jobs, commendable even! I wouldn't think a "thug" of your status would know what being homeless means? Wait nevermind...you're HARD right?? You must have! It's all about kill or be killed, "word homie!" . pfft hardly. You seem the type that wants to be hard and has scratched your way up only by the help of your parents, or thug pals.

THAT is what I judge from your avatar and don't fault anyone for doing so because that is your obvious intent.

Next: someone stated their obvious feelings towards your smart remarks and know-it-all stance and said they wished you would experience the same thing so you'd stop being such a #. You replied:

Come on dude, why would you wish that on me...after all I'm a productive member of society..

no DUDE I don't care if you have 2 jobs, if you're running around with a hoodie on with nifty make-up and a GUN in your hand, I'd rather not have you as a "productive" member of our "society". Why on EARTH would I, or anyone else want people like you around? Your lack of compassion is outstanding, but yeah thats JUST what our society needs, right? Get over yourself. Now let your freedom take over and keep judging like a tool. No-one is listening.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Wookiep]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Nice one.....

I see this is going to get sticky....

Thank God this is America because yes you do have that right! Just as I have the right to judge you.

Well... Lets the Lord of ALL lords commence judgement.....

May it not happen to you...Cause Ive SEEN IT.....WITH MY OWN EYES!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
Nice shot of Contrails in that last photo!
(However, I suspect that last one was severely Photoshopped...too many elements in it look flawed).

Still, that doesn't detract from the real problem. Tent Cities are becoming more and more commonplace in America now that the Jobless have lost Unemployment Benefits and their Banks have Foreclosed on their Homes. These aren't deadbeat Hippies or PTSD Vietnam Vets that are living a Homeless Lifestyle because they choose to be, these are victims of an Economic Depression. None of these people chose to loose their Jobs because their Employer outsourced overseas or filed for Bankruptcy, or just downsized to remain solvent.

You can't use the typical insensitive rhetoric you can use on the panhandler that has sat on the same street corner for the past 30 years and tell them to "Get a job you worthless bum!" (And I know that you were joking about that part KSPigpen)

Seattle keeps banning the Tent Cities and the Tent Cities keep finding another place to squat. Pretending that there isn't really a problem that needs a solution, like the City of Seattle is doing, isn't going to make the problem go away. This isn't a proverbial Elephant in the Living Room that can be conveniently ignored.

Millions of jobs are gone in America. Millions of homes have been foreclosed in America. Until our Government gives incentives to Big Businesses to hire Americans to put them to work, and stops foreclosures, this is only going to get worse, long before it will ever go away.

Since I agree with the majority of your statement, I will only attempt to correct you on the very beginning of your post.

They are not contrails (which are merely composed of vapor and usually dissolve seconds after they are airborne) those are chemtrails. And why would someone photo shop the chemtrails when the main focus of the picture (the homeless) has nothing to do with them? I doubt that the photographer could have cared less about chemtrails being in the background.

Otherwise, great post.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by EvolvedMinistry]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AboveTopSecret1
reply to post by KSPigpen

These homeless ought to be tenting right outside the Fed and banks.

Yes, I think they should set up tent cities on Paulson's and Bernake's expansive front lawns.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
This stinking homeless is homeless because he's living off the grid as a political protester. Specifically, a California sovereign citizen.

Honestly, I've done too much research into our treasonous political situation to want to enable that kind of behavior with income taxes anyway - it would make me a party to too much of it. I've seen the FEMA camps, no way.

So I've been off the grid for over fifteen years rather than be part of the problem. And homeless for most of the last seven. It sucks, but at least I can sleep at night. (Well, when the rowdy bar crowd isn't letting out and the drunk workaday enabling citizens aren't yelling and screaming their heads off before calling it a night and getting up the next morning to start the whole routine over again.)

I can't work while off the grid, because by now the system's locked down too tight. All the work has become employment - a commercial activity rather than simple hire - and you need to get federal ID for it.

So I work online from a laptop as best I can. I wish Americans would whip their political system into shape before it kills us. Heck, if everyone took the stance I do the political landscape would have to shape up, because it couldn't pull tax money with its current style of antics. Nobody would put up with it. The government would have to shape up or shut down, pronto.

I don't even spare change people anymore. It got to be too morally repulsive getting more snotty looks from spoiled brats with money who never give a thought to what they're enabling, than any actual change.

Ah well. They'll grow up. Anyway, I didn't want to add fuel to the fire, but I did want to give people a heads-up. Not everyone's alike, in any walk of life. And not everyone on the street is a piece of irresponsible human wreckage - or a saint, for that matter.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Jobs are the answer. And who creates jobs? Stand in the way of commerce and you'll just prolong the misery.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Of course there are homeless people in the US and it will get worse, due to the mismanagement of the economy.

Ah, that has been mismanaged for decades under the guise of trillions of dollars every year being spent on black covert ops. Think.

While banks are forclosing tptb have billions to spend on their new high tech toys, building ever deeper into their many underground cities and out up there.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TIndalos
This stinking homeless is homeless because he's living off the grid as a political protester. Specifically, a California sovereign citizen.

Honestly, I've done too much research into our treasonous political situation to want to enable that kind of behavior with income taxes anyway - it would make me a party to too much of it. I've seen the FEMA camps, no way.

So I've been off the grid for over fifteen years rather than be part of the problem. And homeless for most of the last seven. It sucks, but at least I can sleep at night. (Well, when the rowdy bar crowd isn't letting out and the drunk workaday enabling citizens aren't yelling and screaming their heads off before calling it a night and getting up the next morning to start the whole routine over again.)

I can't work while off the grid, because by now the system's locked down too tight. All the work has become employment - a commercial activity rather than simple hire - and you need to get federal ID for it.

So I work online from a laptop as best I can. I wish Americans would whip their political system into shape before it kills us. Heck, if everyone took the stance I do the political landscape would have to shape up, because it couldn't pull tax money with its current style of antics. Nobody would put up with it. The government would have to shape up or shut down, pronto.

I don't even spare change people anymore. It got to be too morally repulsive getting more snotty looks from spoiled brats with money who never give a thought to what they're enabling, than any actual change.

Ah well. They'll grow up. Anyway, I didn't want to add fuel to the fire, but I did want to give people a heads-up. Not everyone's alike, in any walk of life. And not everyone on the street is a piece of irresponsible human wreckage - or a saint, for that matter.

We probably don't have too much in common, but I live in a storage unit. Running electricity, interwebs, radio, fridge, etc. Life is good. People do way too much bitching when all they have to do is cut back on the crap they don't need. A can of beans in $0.59 at my grocery store. That's a meal. Bread is about $1.50 a loaf. That's a few meals. I don't have too much sympathy for somebody who can't live in a few bucks a day. Used to live in a tent, too .. and its not that bad. The hardest part is finding decent bath facilities. One solution is a gym membership, or just work somewhere with a shower.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

I'll be in GQ again this dec if you want proof.)

You?
In GQ?
They just lost a subscriber.

By the by, I'll make sure and post them your account information, your picture, your posts when I inform them I will be canceling my subscription (of what, 9 years) forthwith.

That is if you're not delusional - but no matter I am through with GQ - I'll donate the subscription money to the homeless.

Editor of GQ magazine - [email protected] and as this is public information freely found online I do not believe it breaks any ATS rules in re-posting the editor's information here.

LiquidSmoke, anyone who would condemn the homeless, as you do, deserves exactly what Karma will send your way. I hope Karma shows you more pity than you've shown others.

Becasue, I know, first hand, anyone, anyone who's hungry enough, will dance for that dime.

But you know this don't you.

You who *humiliates* the homeless before you toss them a coin.

Have you made them dance, my friend?

Put on your tap shoes, your tune will be playing soon.

People need to remember - the USA is not only facing financial ruin, but, ruin as a society all together. It is not going to get better.
Give freely to those in need, now.
That goodness will return to you one day.
Please, help the homeless and the needy, all you can - WITHOUT JUDGMENT.

As for you 'LiquidSmoke' I wish you peace.
And I will not respond, so save your words, they fall on deaf ears.
I've had enough filth for the day.

peace

[edit on 3-10-2009 by silo13]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Bravo!

Maybe the next publication LiquidSmoke will appear in is the Big Issue; issuing a big apology!

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Pr0t0]

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join