It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News 7.9/8.3-Magnitude Quake Shakes Ocean 120 Miles Southwest of American Samoa

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by RoofMonkey

Does that mean DC, NY, Boston London, Rome, etc as potential hot spots for other natural disasters?

Or just (north of) central Africa?

[edit on 29/9/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by lernmore

Originally posted by Phlynx
There have been 4 4.9-5.0 ones in the area in the last ten minutes. If you have Firefox download Equake. It shakes the screen according to the earthquake size, and tells you the size and location at the bottom.

Equake will also shake your screen whenever one has been upgraded or downgraded. Sometimes it will shake 2-3 times for one earthquake as they adjust the magnitude.

It went 4.9 Samoa 5.0 Tango 4.9 Samoa 5.0 Tango, they are right by each other too. I don't think it was an update.

There was also an Earthquake in New Mexico and Japan, both 4-5.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Just watched Lunch time news here in NZ, A guy live on phone said that he escaped from his tourist accommodation just in time. When he got back to the village everything was gone including people who were to slow...

NZ is still under warning, East Cape area got a 400 mm wave while Raoul Island got a 1 metre wave.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Got to love people when they say there is going to be a Tsunami... bet all the surfers were out as well

Picture was taken in Gisborne, NZ this morning

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/58f7c7699517.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

Whatya expect...its Gizzy...

...its likely the locals went:
"Whoa...Tsunami...wicked...I'm gonna go down and get all the fresh mussels that will get washed up for a feed bro!"

[edit on 29-9-2009 by alien]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by RoofMonkey

Does that mean DC, NY, Boston London, Rome, etc as potential hot spots for other natural disasters?

Or just (north of) central Africa?

[edit on 29/9/2009 by kosmicjack]

No.. it was just odd.

Another oddity for you... The antipodal position for the 65 million year old Chicxulub impactor was somewhere in the region of the Large Igneous Province that formed the 2,000 meter thick lava flows of the Deccan Traps... at about the same time.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I stay in Hamilton so i am happy the tsunami won't hit here but sad for those on the coast and in Samoa. The NZ government is sending supplies and first aid to Samoa today.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by alien

What's scary is that some of the waves were reported to have been 6 meters high and gone miles inland!

Tsunamis aren't like regular waves, in that they break and roll back out. The whole mass of water is displaced and they just keep coming, and coming.

I'll stay on my perch up here at 5000 feet thanks.

edit for fumble fingers and motor function failure

[edit on 29-9-2009 by lernmore]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
More eyewitness reports coming in now.

From Mike Purchase, whose ex-wife and kids are on holiday in Samoa: "I finally managed to talk to them after a stressful morning of no contact. They are at Aggie Grey's Lagoon on Upolu Island and appear to have avoided the worst of it.

The quake woke them this morning and they described it as the earth 'rolling'." Apparently one guest at the resort took a leadership role and ran around waking other guests and getting people to the reception area. Staff then took them in trucks to safety in the highest part of the resort. The sea receded substantially but it sounds like they avoided any surge on that part of the island.

New Zealanders John and Grace Winther are holidaying in Apia and told nzherald.co.nz sirens started going off shortly after this morning's earthquake.
They went outside but found everyone else staying at their hotel had already gone, so waved down a passing policeman who took them to a school on higher ground.
They later discovered the man who had assisted them was the assistant police commissioner.

Also a photo to give an idea of the beach area in Samoan village of Lalomanu
You wouldn't want to be in the Fales when 6 to 8 metres hits.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c59541d40058.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Unconfirmed reports by the The Associated Press say that three or four villages on the popular tourist coast near Lalomanu on Samoa's main island of Upolu had been "wiped out" by waves that roared ashore.

What freaks me out is that we (family) were holidaying there (Lalomanu) not long ago great beaches and fantastic people. The food was awesome.

SAD that it might all be gone now... never know do you... my thoughts are with Taula & Litia Sini who own the place...

Link to our Accommodation

[edit on 29-9-2009 by greenfruit]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Just had a 6.2 (seems to show 5.9 on the page) location Samoan Island according to our trusty Equake.
Magnitude 5.9
Date-Time

Location 15.840°S, 172.531°W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region SAMOA ISLANDS REGION
Distances 130 km (80 miles) E of Hihifo, Tonga
240 km (150 miles) SSW of APIA, Samoa
655 km (405 miles) NNE of NUKU'ALOFA, Tonga
2640 km (1640 miles) NNE of Auckland, New Zealand
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 8.3 km (5.2 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST=173, Nph=173, Dmin=228.2 km, Rmss=0.78 sec, Gp= 47°,
M-type=teleseismic moment magnitude (Mw), Version=6
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2009mddl

[edit on 29-9-2009 by and14263]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Double post. Sorry.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
My thoughts and prayers go out to all afected in this Quake...

here is another headline i just woke up too

www.news.com.au...

sorry if posted already i just breezed through most of the posts bit pushed for time.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Looks like their son is a hero... but finding 3 dead kids...don't know how I would react...

Lyall Preston and a group of holidaymakers from Dargaville in Northland watched from higher ground as the tsunami hit their Sinalei resort located on Samoa's southern coastline.

The group then witnessed the bodies of three young children wash towards them. Speaking to Dargaville and Districts News, Collen Preston said her son found three little children dead. "He is just traumatised".

"My son noticed early this morning that the tide had gone right out so he organised for the group to run to higher ground and they watched as the tsunami hit."

Ms Preston believes the group were not warned that a tsunami was coming. "Most of the hotel they were staying at was washed away."

[edit on 29-9-2009 by greenfruit]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
www.google.com...

Japan's Meteorological Agency has issued a tsunami warning all along its eastern coast after a strong earthquake hit Samoa in the Pacific Ocean.

The agency warned Wednesday morning of a possible tsunami up to about 1.6 feet (50 centimeters) tall.

news.opb.org...

An earthquake in the South Pacific has created a tsunami that will reach the west coast of the U-S.

The National Weather Service has issued a “tsunami advisory” for the north and central Oregon coast.

Officials are warning of possibly dangerous surges or currents in coastal waterways.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Looks like the death toll might be a lot higher than earlier reports.

Western Samoa is reporting 100+ deaths so far, not including the 14 in American Samoa.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The wave travels through the ocean at about 600 mph. Your question was how long for 2000 miles. Give yourself over 3 hours.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

Looks so nice out there in Samoa....... it's a shame that one day it will all be gone if these Tsunamis keep up & climate change keeps up!!! Same with Hawaii!

I've only just seen this thread as i've been busy but seems like a lot of these quakes are happening now.

Hope there aren't too many deaths!

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I live in the UK and admit that I can feel slight wobbles here and there, I am quite sensative and good at detecting such minute movements, guess I have trained my self some how, but I don't expect many to believe me.

I feel like maybe these movements are related to the opposite side to where earthquakes happen, it's 2.35am right now and just felt some minor movement, I am not sure if it is related but in most cases I believe it is.

Anyway I was going to make this thread my self but thought maybe someone would get there first, so let them as they always do.

The BBC say over 100 dead so far, so it could be worse than we think, a picture came in hotel resorts covered in water.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I am not kidding but I can feel here in the UK slight movements. I wonder if something bigger is at stake long term.

Also to add as I just researched that the UK is in fact moving more than usual, as I just checked on the BGS site, have a look for your self. It could be like I say a vibration from that quake, it peeked at the same time as it happened it seems.
www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk...

[edit on 29-9-2009 by The time lord]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Here is a link to a Brazilian site that shows what it seems to be one of the cities that were hit by the Tsunami at Samoa.

noticias.uol.com.br...=1

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join