It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The negative internet and kids growing up with it!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Im sure there is good things that the internet brings even just the connections we have with everyone, we are all so connected now with internet and mobile phones, really how would the world function without it now??

Basically, I think the internet spreads negativity just because of all the info on a plethora of subjects there is there, good and evil subjects!

For example 20 years ago before the internet was im sure for all the wierdos that had a passing sick thought to do something grotesque nine times out of ten it was just that, a passing thought.

Now with all the information thats at your fingertips you can find out about said passing thought and act it out as the info is there all you have to do is type it in?

As a kid growing up there was always someone your age you knew was just a sick puppy
and if the net was online back then im sure that little crazy kid would have found a load of things that interested their little sponge like, imbalanced mind and there would be a whole new kinda thought process going on and not for the benefit of society i have to add!

So im sure this is going on right now all over the world, but the younger generation is going to be more affected by it as their not set in their ways and the web will be helping them get set in ther ways, a bigger, badder version of the evil people of yesteryear due to the easy access of sick material that will whet their appetite for destruction?

Thats some of the reasons why the internet is a bad thing in my eyes but im sure there is the opposite of that for kids growing up that is good for society aswell

peace

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by watsgoingon?

To be honest i think if certain kids are inclined to do something bad or sick, then they will do so regardless of the internet.

You could also throw in television, films and video games as well as the internet. But i don't really go for the idea that they can promote or be responsible for the bad actions of certain children. I think it certainly depends upon the individual.

I was having a conversation with a friend recently about video games and whether they makes people violent. When i play video games i can get annoyed, but i don't get physically violent. The most i do is swear at the tv, when nobody is around.

But i understand where you are coming from in a way, because if any group of people are were to be susceptible to violence from say video games or the internet, then it would be kids. It's just immaturity. You only have to hear about the kids who have copied stupid and dangerous youtube videos.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

What i mean is its so much easier for them to get sicker, and video games is another subject altogether as i know it has a big affect on their reality like the games and reality become merged as if reality is a video game??

Crazy world we live in huh?

peace

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by watsgoingon?

It was well known that the video Child's Play 3 was a contributing factor in the Jamie Bulger kidnapping outside a butcher's shop in Liverpool by two ten year olds took the toddler to a railway line and killed him in 1993. The case against the film led to new legislation, The Amendment to the Video Recordings Act, contained in the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act (1994). So watching telly, videos and the internet are all conduits for everyone, not just children, to ignite vile unimaginable acts that might not have happened, though a sick mind will often find a way...

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I'm for information in all forms. Personal responsibility is the other half of the equation.

My concern here is about the lack of personal skills that might be picked up by anyone reading. The internet is not the best place in the world to learn about polite discourse, if you catch my drift.

It IS, however, a great place to learn about screaming, shouting down, and borderline bullying without any knowledge.

My opinion, of course.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
It leaves a lot of kids viewing people as no more than a web page.Tech now and the speed and easyness of everything has made an impatient souless generation.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by KANDINSKI

Hi Kandinski, I agree with your sentiments about the souless society we are watching grow up in the internet age. Every step of their lives has to be broadcast, they have to build up 2000 contacts to make themselves look good to everyone who visits their networking site. But in reality it is not like that. I know only a handful of people and I would not change that for anything. It is so unrealistic the kids who live with the net nowadays. No wonder you see an upsurge in kids who commit suicide, like that town in Wales where there was an epidemic of suicides last year amongst young people. Psychologists are looking into it but the simple answer is the net makes adolescents feel secluded, spending all their time talking on Messenger not getting out like we all did in our day. I pity the future of mankind.....

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
As a mom, I disagree.

My 5yr old who is reading at a 1st grade level is a computer nerd. She is quite the brilliant child and this comes from sources besides me

Seriously. She has been using a computer since before she was 2. There are so many education sites out there and some great parental blocks for all the other stuff.

She is never on the computer outside of my presence and I moderate her time and everything she does. Thats called responsible parenting and unfortunately, not all parents are responsible.

As with everything, moderation and proper parenting is key.

And when I was growing up, we did not have computers and really just had basic atari. Kids were horrible back then - so to blame bad behavior on technology is well, not accurate IMO.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
From what I've seen the Internet is pretty neutral. People who participate in this site will get a one-sided view because so much conspiracy stuff is angry, resentful, racist.

These are sentiments among #-ins, the lonely, the disenfranchised, the rebellious. So there is a vast number of sensationalizing sites that come up when you do a simple Google search on a lot of subjects especially if they are controversial.

Unhappy people usually don't have much of a social or personal life, so they have a lot of time to devote to angry blogs, sites, internet forums.

An unfortunate reality of civilization. Those complaining are the most vocal, the loudest, the most agenda driven.

Don't let it get to you.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I agree with you.
Teenagers/Youth are negative on the internet.
Not on facebook (because they are real life friends)

In online gaming, forums, and places like 4chan -- its full of hate and racism and gay jokes.

Lots and lots of hate

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael

From what I've seen the Internet is pretty neutral. People who participate in this site will get a one-sided view because so much conspiracy stuff is angry, resentful, racist.

With all due respect, spend five minutes on YouTube and almost any other bulletin board. I've seen this way back before the web, on Usenet.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael

I disagree with this statement my friend

Sites like this expose untruths, bring issues to the light,

that some segments would like to keep shadows on. If there's nothing

to hide, there's nothing to fear

top topics

join