It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peter Schiff: stock up on supplies, necesseties, and alcohol and cigarettes for batering

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
well, the sad thing is, when you stand there without anything, the rest of the world will say "# you, where were you when we needed you?" The same goes for Europe...all the other countries who are already poor and knows how to "deal" with it will give us their back..payback is a mthrfckr

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Helmkat

Thats really true it seems

I always see him on CNBC now joking around, but people dont take him too serious on there at least

When I hear stuff like this it really makes me question him, and actually Ron Paul as well - although this video clip may be taken out of context, and like I said I cant even watch it so...

But it does seem he likes to "be on camera"

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Alcohol and cigarettes are bad advice, how about stocking up on things like bandages, Swiss army knives, vitamins, and seeds to barter with? Don't worry, if it's not a long term disaster the bars will be back open in no time and everybody who wants too can get back to being numb and dumb and cheering for their favorite ball team.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I believe that not all cities will be affected equally. Rich folks maybe inconvenienced but not really affected by the economic downturn. On the other hand, middle class and lower are getting screwed.
The government takes our taxes to bailout companies, while our health care system is in the crapper. And if you have a mortgage, most of your income is gone. This is slavery!!

If and when the dollar crashes, I would rather have my money on commodities - metals, alcohol, grains.

"Two bottles of jack to fix my car"

my two cents

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
Its funny bc this guy is LONG the market as well, so I am not sure what he is peddeling here (i cant watch video, athlon 1400 256 ram hurts!)

He could possibly be selling necessities, cigarettes and alcohol.

I really hope that's the case for you guys in the states sake.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
A source for alot of cheap do it yourself survival tips is the backwoodsman magazine everything from makein a single shot pistol or crossbow to makin bread and anything else you can think of. I have been gettin it for years. Its a great magazine.

www.backwoodsmanmag.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
In all fairness he did not say people as in all people should or need to go out and stockpile basic commodities, what he said was people who are too poor to invest in precious metals could potentially still invest in these every day commodities as a hedge against inflation and as an investment.

That as the price of these items might continue to rise unabated that having the item now and set aside might allow you to trade it for more than the value you invested in it today.

He did not predict a total collapse but stated that the trending towards one was continuing. Obviously he thinks there is still time to avert a total collapse which is why he wants to run for the Senate to do what he can to help the nation but more likely the same over all financial system that he makes his own living off of, and would not be in his own benefit to see collapse.

For those of you who don't understand what he is suggesting if a 5 pound bag of rice is currently 3.00 and rises to 12.00 say a year from now, and there is a rice shortage a year from now that only allows you to intermittently buy rice at 12.00 even if you have 12.00 you might not be able to find the rice on the store shelf.

Most likely because a distributor, shipper or wholesaler has gone out of business or having trouble bringing product to market because of high fuel costs or labor problems.

You need a 12.00 bag of rice.

You can't get it today your family is hungry.

Your family needs the rice.

Plus there is a wedding tomorrow and you would like some rice to throw!

Cigarettes today retail at a minimum of 4.85 a pack but in some cases and places over twice that.

A year from now due to additional taxes and inflation a pack of cigarettes retails for 15.00 dollars but you invested in them at 4.85 because you could not afford to invest in gold or silver.

I smoke, and I mean I smoke, I have 10.00 not 15.00 even though the store has some, but the store has no rice at 12.00.

I have rice, but I have no cigarettes, I invested in rice at 3.00 a bag because I can not afford to buy gold or silver.

I am now prepared to trade 1 possibly 2 of my bags of rice for your 1 possibly 2 packs of cigarettes, you can now feed your family rice I can now smoke.

The rice did not cost you 12.00 it cost you the 4.95 you invested in a pack of stale cigarettes a year before.

The cigarettes did not cost me 15.00 dollars, they cost me 3.00 dollars I invested in the rice a year before.

There is not anarchy on the street, the stores are not closed, there is hyper inflation and products are not as well stocked as normal.

You just got your rice far cheaper than you could have at the store if it was in stock.

I just got my cigarettes far cheaper than I could have at the store than I could have if they were in stock.

We each experienced a significant gain on our small initial investments, yet each saved significantly on the transaction by doing it as a barter transaction as opposed to retail over the counter transaction.

If I know you have supply of cigarettes that I can barter for more cheaply or buy with cash more cheaply I am coming to see you first rather than the retail establishment to save money and maximize my resources.

He suggested this as a way for the poor to deal with inflation, not because he views a total collapse at a definitive point in time or ever at all, but does foresee rising inflation and possible shortages.

That's what he was really saying.

This is a system that has significant benefits to all of us, especially those of us who are poor and it is sound advice based on the very high likelihood of spiraling inflation and a continued worsening of the economy.

When you take it to one extreme (The sky is falling) people miss the sage advice in what he is saying and really means…when you take it to the other extreme (this is just fear mongering the sky is not falling) you also miss the sage advice of what he is really saying.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by arcnaver
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

Actually, Toilet Paper and Ammunition would be a more valuable investment.

Also, have two supplies. 1 the nightly raiders can easily find and take, so that they dont leave empty handed and think your holding out on them. Say like your pantry.
2. Your real well hidden storage that you will be prepared to protect with deadly force if need be.

Its better that the raiders go away with a little bit, no matter how meager, then to have them frustrated and think you are holding out on them. Remember, people are going to see that you arnt losing weight while the world perishes in famine.

Let me be clear here - the only things the "raiders" will get away with are bullet wounds and that is only if they are lucky enough to be alive!!! I intend to leave their bodies piled up on the sidewalk so that any other would be "Raiders" get the idea that there isn't anything for them other than pain and suffering at my house!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Well, stocking up on supplies will certainly boost the retail industry.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
We manage our money to pay out for all we have and need, we manage our money the best we can.
Peter Schiff is an economist, a proffessional, money manager of a high level.When he made the majority aware of the markets ,he was made as a fool, an idiot,laughed at , why ? because he was telling most people what the few were doing, and they didn,t want others except those in the know to cash in.
Had he been wrong then his predictions would have fell flat, but he was right, now instead of getting the respect de deserves, he still gets put down, maybe there is sensationalism,but would you rather know or have your head in the sand and say no one tells me nothing.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Great site. Here is my first post.

I am confused as to why most on ATS are so concerned about the technologies that are being implemented to stop this vicious H1N1 virus. We should be excited that our government would spend so much money on technology that would help keep us safe. Talk of fema camps are for those people who want to cause trouble and keep us from being safe and healthy.

I also don't see why we would need to build up a cache of supplies. We the people elected a very qualified leader who will see us safely through any disaster. I don't see anything happening that could cause us as a nation to become a group of "tribes" needing to trade booze for carrots.

Lastly, I think we should all be willing to give up some of our rights if it means helping our government. I see no reason for us to have automatic weapons or explosives. Maybe we can all come together and help our government by getting your vaccines and stop all the hate talk.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by House Of Mirrors

Are you kidding? Did you see how the government was overwhelmed with Hurricanes Andrew and Katrina? How the California wildfires destroyed thousands of homes and acres?
In the event of 10 cities being hit by terrorists there will be massive shortages and looting.
Good luck to everyone trying to survive. There will be some hard choices to make. The show on Discovery called the Colony is a good example of reality.
If nothing happens tomorrow it's just a matter of time until the conflict escalates, the 7 phase plan of Islamic world domination is common knowledge now.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by House Of Mirrors

I am confused as to why most on ATS are so concerned about the technologies that are being implemented to stop this vicious H1N1 virus. We should be excited that our government would spend so much money on technology that would help keep us safe. Talk of fema camps are for those people who want to cause trouble and keep us from being safe and healthy.

I also don't see why we would need to build up a cache of supplies. We the people elected a very qualified leader who will see us safely through any disaster. I don't see anything happening that could cause us as a nation to become a group of "tribes" needing to trade booze for carrots.

Lastly, I think we should all be willing to give up some of our rights if it means helping our government. I see no reason for us to have automatic weapons or explosives. Maybe we can all come together and help our government by getting your vaccines and stop all the hate talk.

Dude, did you forget the [sarc] tags?

I CALL SHENANIGANS!!!

[edit on 17-9-2009 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ben Frankln

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGinty
Well, stocking up on supplies will certainly boost the retail industry.

And I bet Schiff has lots of stock in P&G...

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by GreenBicMan

I'gree with ya mate..... seems a bit alarmist.. granted I do respect Peter far more than KD (who's annoying as hell) .. so I am torn to find it worrying he says stock up, but perplexed as his actual stance is so different than what he preaches..

Either way, the economy will never get so bad we use bartering as a main source of trade. I think he does himself a disfavor and looses credibility when he says stupid $%^ like this..

I honestly think these guys say the dumbest crap they do to oversensationalize their stories to boost their ratings and followers and (kaching) subscribers.. I just hope he doesn't go down KD's path of screaming "we all gunna die!!!" Twice a week just to say "pwhew avoided that one" after each time (I hate Karl by the way)... it ruins true economic theorist who see this for what it is, a FUBAR market that needs fixing, but a complete crash is out of the question.. #$% Karl D..

/rantoff

[edit on 9/16/2009 by Rockpuck]

Exactly, people need to understand that the infrastructure of America is ridiculously complex, it doesn't just SHUT DOWN and BAM stone age.

As for stocking up.... People stocked up during the cold war, made bomb shelters etc... I stocked up but I don't think I'm going to be bartering cigarrettes and alcohol, and I don't think I'll be fending people off of my food.

I think he just watches too much movies.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

Oh man. Those events are just examples of where our government counts on us as citizens to help each other out and obey the law. Why would we need the government to step in and help us with everything? They were able to assist as soon as they could but because we as Americans are such good survivors and are willing to help each other out, they knew that we could make it. I hope there are a lot of fema camps to put those h3llraisers that cause problems and loot. It would be nice to have those that aren't wearing a bracelet providing proof of the vaccine to be the first into the camps, at least until next spring or summer.

Our president has been trying to help us help each other and we continue to look away. I can't tell you how many examples of emails and webposts I sent to the white house regarding the health care plan. We should all be informed!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

reply to post by JJay55

Oh man. Those events are just examples of where our government counts on us as citizens to help each other out and obey the law. Why would we need the government to step in and help us with everything? They were able to assist as soon as they could but because we as Americans are such good survivors and are willing to help each other out, they knew that we could make it. I hope there are a lot of fema camps to put those h3llraisers that cause problems and loot. It would be nice to have those that aren't wearing a bracelet providing proof of the vaccine to be the first into the camps, at least until next spring or summer.

Our president has been trying to help us help each other and we continue to look away. I can't tell you how many examples of emails and webposts I sent to the white house regarding the health care plan. We should all be informed!

WOW!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by House Of Mirrors

Dude, is AF paying bonuses for cyber command MOS's now?

You do know this is a CONSPIRACY site right?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hotrodturbo7

I get that. I am just trying to balance out the playing field by adding my thoughts. I haven't seen anyone offer up a point of view similar to mine and I thought it would help the conversations to see the other side of the coin. I know it has helped me understand better what others think.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join