It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peter Schiff: stock up on supplies, necesseties, and alcohol and cigarettes for batering

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Peter Schiff is advising stock up on food and supplies as well as cigarettes and alcohol for bartering. Also says he hopes our economic collapse is not as bad as the Soviet Union's and states start breaking off.

I love this guy and this is the most doom I have heard from him yet and I have to agree with him.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Its funny bc this guy is LONG the market as well, so I am not sure what he is peddeling here (i cant watch video, athlon 1400 256 ram hurts!)

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Stock up on supplies???
Already in the prosess... Probably 80 % of my shopping list is complete.

S&F for you.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

While I agree with stockpiling I cant help but disagree with cigarettes and alcohol for bartering.

The majority that haven't prepared for a collapse like this will see that you are "holding" and try to raid you for your supplies. Meanwhile, the ones that have prepared probably won't be in the bartering "mood". I mean, what are yopu going to gain? You think they're going to give you some food for a pack of smokes? I know I wouldn't.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Seriously?? Cigs?? I have smoked for almost 20 years. I look forward to the total collapse of society as we know it because finally cigs will be scarce enought that I can quit! *smirk*

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree
Reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

While I agree with stockpiling I cant help but disagree with cigarettes and alcohol for bartering.

The majority that haven't prepared for a collapse like this will see that you are "holding" and try to raid you for your supplies. Meanwhile, the ones that have prepared probably won't be in the bartering "mood". I mean, what are yopu going to gain? You think they're going to give you some food for a pack of smokes? I know I wouldn't.

Yea, what Peter was really saying, without actually saying it, is that you need to have a few guns in your home. It's a nice way of spreading the truth without sounding like a fear mongerer.

If we've reached the point where we are trading 'smokes' like we are in prison, then you better be prepared with some protection.

It's sad to say this, but "we the people" might end up being your enemy.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Sounds a little far fetched, butanyone who has been brought up to care for themselves by hunting ect. would have no problem

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Reply to post by Doomsday 2029

Well again, anybody that actually takes this collapse seriously enough to stockpile goods KNOWS they need atleast ONE weaon for survival, if not more.

It's silly to even broadcast this type of thing because the ones that listen are the ones that have already started the process. The ones that haven't started, aren't going to any time soon....

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Ya know, I have to be pretty darn suspicious.

He puts out all this doom and gloom talk.

Then says how he's running for senate to try and save the day.

Sneaky Suspicion I tell you.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

They will be on the black market even more prevolent that they are now.
May I add.....alot cheaper too.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

I'gree with ya mate..... seems a bit alarmist.. granted I do respect Peter far more than KD (who's annoying as hell) .. so I am torn to find it worrying he says stock up, but perplexed as his actual stance is so different than what he preaches..

Either way, the economy will never get so bad we use bartering as a main source of trade. I think he does himself a disfavor and looses credibility when he says stupid $%^ like this..

I honestly think these guys say the dumbest crap they do to oversensationalize their stories to boost their ratings and followers and (kaching) subscribers.. I just hope he doesn't go down KD's path of screaming "we all gunna die!!!" Twice a week just to say "pwhew avoided that one" after each time (I hate Karl by the way)... it ruins true economic theorist who see this for what it is, a FUBAR market that needs fixing, but a complete crash is out of the question.. #$% Karl D..

/rantoff

[edit on 9/16/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

thats 1000% true

on one hand, i know this guy is smart

on the other, he plays "that role" - so I am not sure I get this at all

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

He's a genius .. but he's biased, he's a bear, has always been a bear for as long as iv followed him and Paul.. its one thing to have a negative leaning, quite another to put credibility on the line with this oversensationalized garbage (naturally on RT at that....) .. he's a very good economist, and I see exactly where he's coming from.. just weird he'd say stock up on beans and beer lol..

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Right RP. He's a major US market/USD bear...foreign markets bull. His fund invests in overseas , non-usd denominated securities....exclusively....ergo , it's certainly in his own best interest to paint the US as a completely failed economic/political state....

....not that it may not be , but I agree that his more provocative public commentary often carries the scent of snake-oil.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Actually, if you stop and think about it, he's saying that items like cigarettes and alcohol would be very usefull bartering items IF we have a "minor" collapse that isn't as bad as Russia's was. Some in this thread are going to the extreme of complete and utter collapse, in which case yeah, bartering for smokes and booze will be the least of our worries.

But if you think about simple supply line disruptions then items like cigs, whiskey, toiletries, etc (commonly known as LUXURIES in most nations less fortunate than the USA has been) will be the goods most likely to not get through at all as simple food and medical supplies will make up the vast majority of shipments. Basically, how I read what he's saying is "In the bread and soup lines the man with a handfull of smokes and a bottle of hooch he's willing to trade for will find himself in a position to barter."

Now, if we end up in total collapse, states splitting off, people starving to death, mobs ruling the streets, then of course these bartering items will become moot... for a time. But even in this doomsday scenario, there will eventually come a time when we'll find pockets of civilized people banding together looking for peacefull trade and wishing for the comforts of "home" like a drink and a puff.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OBE1

I had readd some insightful articles regarding Peter and emerging markets, but I had no idea his funds exclusively were non-us based... it certainly explains his specific motivation, while others have their sites and news letters and such.. of course, to be fair, people who are extreeeeemily bullish in American markets also have an agenda. Perhaps we all have an agenda.. good trivia to know though OBE1

For anyone wondering where to put their money, emerging Euro and Asian markets still represent good buys, worth looking into. Emerging economies always rebound first in recession/depressions (they have the cheapest taxes, labor, operating costs, highest growth, highest potential and least amount of government).
only thing I don't like is the volatility of some economies, especially Eastern Europe. --rambling again..

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by chrisd250

How is the game in Northern Cali. Where I am at I could live off the wildlife easily. But of course so would a lot of others.

A few years back poachers realized that a fine for shooting cattle was like $500
and a fine for venison was $5000, loss of anything you had with you, including vehicle, gun and than 5 year no license to hunt. Guess how many cattle were taken before they changed the law. Rustling became big business for awhile.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I see what you mean, but its a weird investment, no? .. I could think of many other commodities to invest in, like wheat or rice, than packing my basement with cigs and rum. Its not very liquid in the event there is no crash, right? .. don't want to be stuck with a life time supply of smoke and booze and no cash, which you can't even sell with out a permit unlike gold, silver, oil contracts etc...

Well, maybe some wouldn't mind the life time supply.. especially of your constantly busy with panic sex....

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I had readd some insightful articles regarding Peter and emerging markets, but I had no idea his funds exclusively were non-us based... it certainly explains his specific motivation, while others have their sites and news letters and such.. of course, to be fair, people who are extreeeeemily bullish in American markets also have an agenda. Perhaps we all have an agenda..

The pessimist would say he's simply talking his book

The optimist would say he's done his homework and he's sincere

The realist might say it's probably a bit of both

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Well, there are a couple ways to look at that.

Way 1: it collapses. It would probably be far more utillitarian to have items of signifigant want, yet smaller *value* to trade with in a Sit-X. For example, if a person who is addicted to smoking wants some cigarettes and has in his ownership a dozen cans of baked beans, it would probably be easier to say to him "I will trade you 6 cigarettes for a can of those beans" than to try and figure out what measure of wheat to trade or how many cans a silver disk is worth. Hell, I can see the benefit of having cigarettes in my hand over silver anyway... At least I am always guaranteed to be able to get something directly from those cigs without worrying about finding a trading partner (worst case scenario, I can enjoy a trip to "Flavor Country" myself, whereas if I have just silver and can't find anyone willing to trade then I have something with no value outside of said trading.)

Way 2: the economy doesn't collapse. Sell the smokes and booze under the table. I have few issues with breaking sin laws. So from my point of view, this is a no brainer. Hold the supply until the next sin tax raise, then sell it at the older, lower rate plus a small profit. Excess supply resolved and no messy theft forms... Errrr, IRS tax statements to worry about.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join