It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The secret that will destroy us all

page: 6
111
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
i guess the gov desides we need to feed the companies our money for 1 year life bulbs.
i know what u talk about,my energy saving light had the sickening blue light..it made me..suck




posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Our electric company gave out a bunch to all the customers and I have to say they truly do SUCK!!!!!

The light just does not seem "right" is about the only way I can explain it..

I can't see anything in the rooms my wife put these things...

I mean it's bright enough, but I just can't see..

Make any sense?

Anyone know anything about visible light spectrum's and can maybe explain it?

Or was it posted previously and I missed it?

(Been a long night)

Semper



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB
 


Great post and after reading up on Mercury and seeing this:

Mercury is such a highly reactive toxic agent that it is difficult to identify its specific mechanism of damage, and much remains unknown about the mechanism.[11] It damages the central nervous system, endocrine system, kidneys, and other organs, and adversely affects the mouth, gums, and teeth. Exposure over long periods of time or heavy exposure to mercury vapor can result in brain damage and ultimately death. Mercury and its compounds are particularly toxic to fetuses and infants. Women who have been exposed to mercury in pregnancy have sometimes given birth to children with serious birth defects (see Minamata disease).

I have decided to ditch my bulbs (not that i've used any, they are still in their box)... not throw them in the garbage though as that will be hazardous for the Environment but i'm just going to leave them lying on top of the cupboards out of site... they give these bulbs away free to those on Benefits... i've seen the adverts!

I thought these were supposed to be a "Green" thing... Have they not done their homework properly on these bulbs?

We have created so much hazardous material in this World it's unbeliebale how we are still alive


[edit on 6-9-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis
 





Source



Are there any health effects associated with light flicker?
Although humans cannot see fluorescent lights flicker, the sensory system in some individuals can somehow detect the flicker. Ever since fluorescent lighting was introduced in workplaces, there have been complaints about headaches, eye strain and general eye discomfort. These complaints have been associated with the light flicker from fluorescent lights. When compared to regular fluorescent lights with magnetic ballasts, the use of high frequency electronic ballasts (20,000 Hz or higher) in fluorescent lights resulted in more than a 50% drop in complaints of eye strain and headaches. There tended to be fewer complaints of headaches among workers on higher floors compared to those closer to ground level; that is, workers exposed to more natural light experienced fewer health effects. [Wilkins, A. J., Nimmo-Smith, I., Slater, A. & Bedocs, L. (1989). Fluorescent lighting, headaches and eye-strain. Lighting Research and Technology, vol. 21, 11-18]

source

I need to investigate the relationship with full spectrum lighting and the treatment of S.A.D when I have time.



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Since the beginning of September (as a result of an EU directive) it has been illegal for shops to buy new stock of old style lightbulbs. They are however allowed to sell their existing stocks, so we can still buy them for a few weeks. My wife and I have been buying old style 100 watt bulbs for the past year and now have a stock of around 60 - I reckon our house will be mercury free for about another ten years!

Great post, spread the word.



reply to post by CX
 



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I had no idea!

Many thanks.



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB
 


Hold on, if everyone starts dumping these en mass surely that would cause a big problem ?

I've got boxes of these things stashed, they're literally bee given away free around here.

Thanks for this info, I've handled quite a few that have been broken no one informed me they contained mercury !!!!!

Bastards !

Op, why not mail your post to a newspaper see if they'll run your story the tabloids love that sort of thing.



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
here in bulgaria they allready stoped production on the 100hz ones,and in the end of 2009 they want to stop all old tulbs...no):



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This was posted earlier in the year by ModernAcademia

Dirty Energy Light Bulbs

There are a few videos talking about the effects the light bulbs have on your health just by switching then on.



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Those are fluorescent lamps, maybe some neon ones as well. Mercury is not a mandatory component in neon ones, meaning they are much less hazardous - mostly neon gas is used.

However, as always some people don't know what they buy. Both lights produce a "colored" kind of light, which is always white when used in living environments making them different than classic light bulbs. That light is not good for your eyes which you can conclude yourself after some exposure. Same kind of light is produced by LED's, but at least they have no gasses inside.

None of them are good for you, only typical Edison light bulb is. That's pretty common knowledge where I live, you can simply test it yourself by using one type and then getting back to "normal" light.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by SassyCat]



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Funshinez
 


For one avergage sized town. not the whole country.

there are thousands of places like this in the uk. if you add it all up it is much much more.



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SassyCat
 


You know the lighs on the street? And those big watt lightbulbs that you get on your doorstep or up in the porchway? I can't sleep with all that light comig in through the windows... i have to cover the windows to darken the place... curtains don't shut it out completely even...



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
It is both fascinating and scary what I find out on this site.
Thanks for posting this! S+F



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Man I hate that bulb. It's so horrible, I prefer old yellow bulbs 100x more.

... too bad my parents use them, I'm still trying to convince them how hard those bulbs suck, but seems like there's nothing I can do about it.



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
well this blows, what to do with my bulbs now. too bad its now part of the air forces project of becoming eco friendly, every room in every dorm is lit by these bulbs, the army is probably doing too.



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
whats it matter if a lightbulb has mercury in it?

90% of people in the usa go and get a flu shot every year and it has mercury in it ...
So a lightbulb is the least of our worry's.



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
157.5 grams of mercury isn't very much mercury. Especially for 31,000 bulbs.


Envision getting a letter in the mail if you will;
"Dear Dooper, the letter you are holding in your hands has been exposed to less than 0.1 g of Anthrax. Please don't be alarmed though, as 0.1g of Anthrax isn't very much anthrax" Really, it isn't very much at all.

[edit on 6/9/2009 by Inkrinhuminge]



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I have luck to live in a country that has old lightbulbs on sale. they are so cheap that i wouldnt even think about buying new kind of bulb.


isn't it ironic that goverments try to sell us green eco friendly thingies while they have radioactive crap thrown all over the world.



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
i (american) am required by my lease to use those (yeah #### right im gonna do that). i just did a search of all the materials the leasing office gave me in hard copy and all their info online and it doesnt say anything anywhere about proper disposal or UV hazard.

this makes me a little upset


when i first moved in within 2 weeks my ceiling fan (loaded with new energy savers) fell to the floor and all 4 bulbs smashed. when i came home after maintanence replaced it, there was shards of bulb and white dust everywhere. so from this one can surmise that they are either not training or not enforcing proper disposal among they're employees. i imagine this is probably a crime. unfortunately i cant find an email address for them (figures) so they get to hear all about it straight from me monday morning. i will be sternly requesting that they start providing materials about proper disposal and safety with each new lease and to their employees. i cant wait.



posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Inkrinhuminge

Originally posted by dooper
157.5 grams of mercury isn't very much mercury. Especially for 31,000 bulbs.


Envision getting a letter in the mail if you will;
"Dear Dooper, the letter you are holding in your hands has been exposed to less than 0.1 g of Anthrax. Please don't be alarmed though, as 0.1g of Anthrax isn't very much anthrax" Really, it isn't very much at all.

[edit on 6/9/2009 by Inkrinhuminge]


I would be wrong in saying this is the definitive answer, but in all simplicity of the matter of someone disagreeing with it, it is.



new topics

top topics



 
111
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

log in

join