It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The secret that will destroy us all

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
This all seems a bit ridiculous. If they are as dangerous as people have said they wouldn't be sold. Scientists/Governments aren't trying to kill us! If it was found that there was a significant risk involved with them they would be pulled. Nonetheless an interesting topic. I've dropped a few of these energy saving globes and no poisoning around me
People have been exposed to all kind of crap before, Mercury can't compare to some of it. There not going to kill us, the world isn't going to end in 2012 and the government won't chip Americans

[edit on 5-9-2009 by SkipStorm]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Anybody remember this?

Here is the link in case the embedding didn't work.

Important information about energy saver light bulbs

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Dramatic much?

Why do people have no choice buy to use them? That's confusing. It's still sometimes hard to even FIND these.

And there have been shows and warnings, only an ignorant person would not realize these are not perfect yet. But they are certainly improving.

If you really want to be worried, just look at the stuff in half the products made by China in your home. Then you'll be properly worried. Your kids are not putting light bulbs in their mouths.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I thought they pasted some law ,that after such and such time the incadecent bulbs would be nolonger available.
I changed 99% of my bulbs to the new type, bought a coffe pot that shuts off as soon a the coffe is made, knocked about $60.00 off my electric bill.

They have those other new type bulbs , but I priced them and they cost between $50.00 and $100.00 each, that's to much.

But I did notice , I have rash on side of my face looks like, sun burn, I was just thinking about it today, but I thought it was like rash they talk about on tube.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
dilution is the solution.

How do you get rid of a supertoxic environmental waste like mercury...or even fluoride?

You pass it on to the consumer in everything they consume.

Mercury in lightbulbs is just another scheme to rid industry of their mercury wastes. That's it. Same thing with fluoride in the water...and now just about every food item available.

Its a screwed up world, and its only going to get worse. Enjoy life now while you still can

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
It makes you think, what else in our daily lives posses health risks

to us, that we don't know about? I eat healthy, don't drink tap water,

take vitamin supplements, meanwhile the government THINKS of ways

to kill us off!!!!!! case in point, the upcoming Vaccines, they are poison

don't take them!!!!...imo

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I think mercury poisoning is the most fascinating thing to me. We ingest it often in our foods and don't know about it. Especially in fish such as tuna. So I wouldn't worry so much about these lightbulbs... I would worry more about our food.

The term "Mad as a hatter" came about because the men who manufactured felt hats in the 18th and 19th centuries would use mercury-based compounds.

The symptoms to mercury poisoning victims are very difficult to identify because their symptoms are very common to other illnesses.

Symptoms typically include sensory impairment (vision, hearing, speech), disturbed sensation and a lack of coordination. The type and degree of symptoms exhibited depend upon the individual toxin, the dose, and the method and duration of exposure.

en.wikipedia.org...

Common symptoms include peripheral neuropathy (presenting as paresthesia or itching, burning or pain), skin discoloration (pink cheeks, fingertips and toes), edema (swelling), and desquamation (dead skin peels off in layers).

Because mercury blocks the degradation pathway of catecholamines, epinephrine excess causes hyperhidrosis (profuse sweating), tachycardia (persistently faster-than-normal heart beat), mercurial ptyalism (hypersalivation) and hypertension (high blood pressure). Mercury is thought to inactivate S-adenosyl-methionine, which is necessary for catecholamine catabolism by catechol-o-methyl transferase.

Affected children may show red cheeks and nose, erythematous lips (red lips), loss of hair, teeth, and nails, transient rashes, hypotonia (muscle weakness), and photophobia. Other symptoms may include kidney disfunction (e.g. Fanconi syndrome) or neuropsychiatric symptoms (emotional lability, memory impairment, insomnia).

Thus, the clinical presentation may resemble pheochromocytoma or Kawasaki disease.

Slowly going mad... and you may not even realize it... fascinating.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Oh get over it, we used to use the stuff to make penny's look silver when I was young, easy to get, had the stuff all over our hands and I'm 60 years old now. Only someone super super sensitive would have problems with this volume. As for most of ya, find something worthy to worry about.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I had no idea. Looks like I have to change all the bulbs... AGAIN.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Pappie54

I agree with you Pappie54. I'm surprised everyone is getting all up in arms about this. First of all, how often do you all break a lightbulb? Secondly, mercury isn't mustard gas...

Here's some interesting information:

So exactly how much mercury a 45 lb. child would ingest by eating one 6 ounce can of tuna per week, and how does that compare to the EPA's reference dose? Take a look at the following calculations:

Step 1 - DETERMINE EPA's RECOMMENDED LEVEL FOR A 45 LB CHILD

* Multiply child's body weight by EPA's reference dose.
* Convert 45 pounds to kilograms = 20.45 kilograms
* 20.45 kilograms x .1 micrograms per kilogram per day

EPA RECOMMENDED LEVEL = 2.05 micrograms per day = 14.35 micrograms per week.

Step 2 - HOW MUCH MERCURY IS IN 6 OUNCES OF CHUNK WHITE TUNA?

* Multiply amount of fish by average mercury level for chunk white albacore.
* Convert 6 ounces to grams = 170 grams 170 grams X .31 ppm (or micrograms per gram)**

MERCURY INGESTED = 52.7 micrograms per gram

Step 3 – COMPARE MERCURY INGESTED WITH EPA'S RECOMMENDED LEVEL

* Divide 52.7 micrograms by 14.35 micrograms = 3.7

BY EATING 6 OUNCES OF CHUNK WHITE TUNA A WEEK, THE CHILD IS INGESTING ALMOST FOUR TIMES EPA'S RECOMMENDED DOSE.

In December 2003, the FDA began circulating a draft advisory warning women who are pregnant, nursing, or who might become pregnant about the dangers of mercury in seafood. Critics like the Environmental Working Group objected to the advisory's vague guidance on tuna, and subsequently filed a legal challenge, charging that the advisory did not meet standards for accurate government science established by the Data Quality Act.

In February 2004, a new analysis by the Environmental Protection Agency revealed that "about 630,000 children are born each year at risk for lowered intelligence and learning problems caused by exposure to high levels of mercury in the womb," nearly double the previous EPA estimate.

www.pbs.org...

Don't hate the lightbulbs, beware our fish.

edited to add mercury calculator link:
www.gotmercury.org...

[edit on 9.5.2009 by Avarus]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by allclear
dilution is the solution.

How do you get rid of a supertoxic environmental waste like mercury...or even fluoride?

You pass it on to the consumer in everything they consume.

Mercury in lightbulbs is just another scheme to rid industry of their mercury wastes. That's it. Same thing with fluoride in the water...and now just about every food item available.

Its a screwed up world, and its only going to get worse. Enjoy life now while you still can

Oh please... Do you have any evidence for that?

[edit on 6-9-2009 by SkipStorm]

[edit on 6-9-2009 by SkipStorm]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
It’s no secret that florescent bulbs contain mercury.
For years now you haven’t been allowed to throw away florescent bulbs in regular trash pick up.
Older tv’s had the same problem.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
Most modern energy saving bulbs contain around 5 milligrams, which may not sound a lot at first. BUT it is going to drastically effect the Environment, and our way of life. it is inevitable. Many people will die. many animals will. die. vast areas will become no go zones without the proper PPE.

think about this, how many of these bulbs have you got in your home? 6? 7? 10?
How many houses are on your road? 30? now how many roads are in your village/town/city? lets say 150.

Now that's about 31,500 Light bulbs for an average, size town. THATS allot of bulbs. how much mercury is that?

well 31,500 bulbs times 5 milligrams =157.5 g of Mercury...

According to those figures is actually around 5 ounces of mercury. Not even enough to fit in a can of beer. Not a lot of mercury at all for 31,000 bulbs. But I'm sure the 157.5 figure got you more stars, if you REALLY want to be sensationalist next time measure in picograms. THERE'S 157500000000 pg OF MERCURY HERE PEOPLE!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
i never buy them they cost to much ware i live any ways and they never put out enough light for me

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
LED bulbs are the way to go, very low energy use and they last for many years.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DraconianKing
LED bulbs are the way to go, very low energy use and they last for many years.

Yup.. LED is the future.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
The thing is they are mandatory for use very soon. I believe it is either this year or next when the regular bulbs will no longer be available for sale. So stock up on them now as they will be a thing of the past very soon and the only thing left to buy will be the mercury laced ones.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Whoa. S & F

It's like the OP just read my mind lol

My husb and I were just talking about this today. You see, I cannot use those in my house at all. They make me anxious and ill all over. My eyes will start to burn if I'm in a room too long with one going near me. I've always wondered what the EMF readings were on those.

I had no idea they contained mercury.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I heard the shops are allowed to carry on selling until their stocks run out.
I have been stocking up on the old style bulbs for a long time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join