It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The secret that will destroy us all

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+80 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Most of you are now very familiar with these energy saving bulbs. most of you have no choice but to buy them.

How many of you feel slightly better when using them , knowing that they are better for the environment, and your fuel bills?

How many of you know that each of these light bulbs contain Mercury? your old bulbs didn't.

That's right, the highly toxic metal mercury is dangling above your head. and in every room.. the room your kids play in. the rooms you live in. there is no escaping them . everybody has them.

"Surly not enough to do Any harm though right?
Vacate the room and ventilate it for at least 15 minutes. Do not use a vacuum cleaner, but clean up using rubber gloves and aim to avoid creating and inhaling airborne dust. Sweep up all particles and glass fragments and place in a plastic bag. Wipe the area with a damp cloth, then add that to the bag and seal it. Mercury is hazardous waste and the bag should not be disposed of in the bin. All local councils have an obligation to make arrangements for the disposal of hazardous household waste"- DEFRA's advice on what to do if you drop one.

But even if you scrub and hoover the carpet, you dropped it onto, it is unlikely you will remove all the Mercury. most of it will stick into your carpet for years. leading to long term exposure to the toxic metal.

"Exposure over long periods of time or heavy exposure to mercury vapor can result in brain damage and ultimately death"- en.wikipedia.org...

Exactly how much mercury is in these things?

Most modern energy saving bulbs contain around 5 milligrams, which may not sound a lot at first. BUT it is going to drastically effect the Environment, and our way of life. it is inevitable. Many people will die. many animals will. die. vast areas will become no go zones without the proper PPE.

think about this, how many of these bulbs have you got in your home? 6? 7? 10?
How many houses are on your road? 30? now how many roads are in your village/town/city? lets say 150.

Now that's about 31,500 Light bulbs for an average, size town. THATS allot of bulbs. how much mercury is that?

well 31,500 bulbs times 5 milligrams =157.5 g of Mercury...

now when all, these bulbs are thrown out, they are going straight to the dump.
and 157.5g of mercury being thrown out say every 5 years, is not so good.

when it rains, this is creating a mix of mercury and other crap, at your local dump. many times(especially where i am) this toxic mix, will run off into local rivers/estuaries/creeks/sea/fields/ even drains.

Which is A disaster for aquatic life. and will likely eventually find its way into your drinking water. and crops...

www.apfn.org...

And that is Just one Average town. think how much your county/state is throwing away each week, month, year.

Think how much your country is throwing away. it may be in its tons.

ECO_Friendly Light bulbs my ass.

[edit on 5-9-2009 by MR BOB]

Edit for spelling

[edit on 9/6/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Just wanted to apologise for my poor writing skills. but the fact are here, is crazy that these are the new standard. there have never been so many of these bulbs on the planet before.

and countries are lining up to ban the old ones.

Its obvious, why is this being done?

[edit on 5-9-2009 by MR BOB]

CX

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I've known about this for about a couple of years now, and refuse to buy the things.

My kids have broken lightbulbs accidentally in the past playing with toys in thier bedroom, i don't want one of these things being anywhere near them if it breaks.

What idiot dreamed up the idea to have a bulb like this in the house when it needs a virtual hazmat team to clear up after you break the thing.

They give them away free too at some events, which is nice of them.

CX.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
ANd these are supposed to be a "green" product?

THat's outrageous and appalling. Now I wonder what other "green" products are also incredibly bad for our environment?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I have one in my house and some I haven't used. I will never buy another one.
Thank you for opening my eyes.

CX

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I remember a couple of years back we had a big bash in our village to focus on becoming greener, and trying to reduce our carbon footprint.

The stall that was giving these out pushed a few in my direction, and at first i said thanks and took them. I said i was always breaking bulbs in the house and so were the kids so they would come in handy.

The guys face was a picture, horrifylingly concerned would be a good description, as he explained that i should read up on how to dispose of these things should they get broken.

I didn't think much of it until i investigated more online, after which my free bulbs went into the bin.

CX.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
You my friend, are one of those people that reveal every new product for the environment for what it really is, a quick plan. it seems like everything is going this way. thank you. keep up the amazing work.

and i also thing this should set an example. don't take anything for granted.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Excellent post, surprised no one has posted this before! This is on the EPA websie on how to clean up after a bulb breaks.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

I knew it was bad, but holy crap!
Thank God I refuse to buy them, or get them free from my local electric company. Chinese ya know, if I can hep it I am not buying anything made there. Just another reason to stay away from them.
I have to search through the regular bulbs in order to find ones made in the U.S. I don't know what I am going to do when they just aren't there anymore.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
My big worry is I am told that the only factories manufacturing these bulbs are in China. Just another way to siphon away the world's wealth.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
oh crap, I have those at my house!

thanks for this bit of information. I was completely unaware of this. Luckily no one in my household has dropped one of them.

I will have no choice now but to change the light bulbs and go back to the old ones.

thanks for the information. Who knows what would have happened in the long run if my family kept buying these for years.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
star and flag
LISTEN TO ME !!!!!!!!!!!!
my parents brought these from the shop.
at first i thought theyr cool,nice white blue light,low energy bright light.
but the thing just kept lighting like a sun,you cant even look at it.
my eyes started to cry if i was at the same room,it turned out in the end,i couldnt live a day without my eyes crying and hurting all the time from thise lighttulbs.when we removed it,and placed the old one,my eyes got all better.
and its not my brain...i didnt even knew they were so poisonous until now

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Here's the problem though, environmentally speaking ...

even though fluorescent bulbs contain mercury, using them contributes less mercury to the environment than using regular incandescent bulbs. That's because they use less electricity — and coal-fired power plants are the biggest source of mercury emissions in the air.

In this 2007 article they were pushing for special recycling plants for these bulbs, but from the little I investigated that is still in its infancy. www.epa.gov...

As of now it seems that most peeps are indeed just putting them in with regular trash.

CFL Bulbs Have One Hitch: Toxic Mercury

The child safety issue is a valid one ... though I handled mercury a few times in my early years and ite hzunt afictid mi.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Iseekthetruth!!!!!!!!

I bought a pack to replace my three ways in my living room. So I go to the table, open the pack, and take the bulb to put it in the lamp. I accidentally hit the lampshade on my way to put it and and I dropped it on the table.

I saw this white cloud of dust come towards my face and I leaned back. This was before I knew... I brushed the bits into my hand and tossed it into the kitchen trash...

I had no idea.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
If you really wanted to save energy, you'd be using OLED light bulbs anyways, not those things.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
There have been several cases of sun burn like symptoms off these bulbs, I cant seem to find it online, but one lady who was reading a book, had severe burns to the side of her face next to the light.

I remember reading it to my Wife, they give off UV light which is dangerous over a long period, thing was, this lady had only read for just over an hour.

We can no longer buy the old bulbs here in the UK anymore (officially anyhow) seen some already popping up on car boot sales etc.

The World is getting even crazier every day.

CX

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
As an extra.....it's not just the mercury people are worried about with these bulbs.....people with certain skin conditions and also migraine sufferers have be warned against these bulbs.

Google "Dangers of low energy bulbs" and have a field day flicking through the info. Not very reassuring to say the least.

CX.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Here in the UK, we have just been hit with a new EU regulation that regular 100W lightbulbs are now outlawed, and every effort is being made by just about every authority to make us use these monstrosities.

I read somewhere that a lower light level tends to decrease the brain's ability to think clearly, and we now see just why these bulbs are being forced uopn us;

to keep the sheep in their pens and stop them from thinking naughty thoughts!

It is outrageous that we are being treated as if we have no intelligence, and that 'The Government' knows what is best for us. HA!

I for one will be going out of my way to get hold of as many regular lightbulbs as I can before they are all made illegal, then if they want to stop me using them, they will have to shoot me, as I will have no intention of letting 'Them' force me to obey their Draconian dictat!

Roy.

CX

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin

We can no longer buy the old bulbs here in the UK anymore (officially anyhow) seen some already popping up on car boot sales etc.

Do you mean the old bulbs?

Someone had better tell the shops then, as they are all still selling them.

I bought a load from the supermarket this week.

CX.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join