It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

male chicks are ground up alive at an egg factory

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hi, animal lovers.

Here is something to make you proud to be human !

www.strasbourgcurieux.com...
[/sarcasme]

Blue skies.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Im not sure if anyone with some experiance from the inside of this industry has posted or not as i have not read through all the pages.

I work in the UK poultry industry, not in a hatchery but i know what goes on in their and the reasons why. As mentioned in the in the source article, the males are of no value as they can't produce eggs.

Chickens used for egg production are bread so that the females produce as many eggs as possible. Chickens bread for meat production as choosen for their ability to gain as much weight as possible as quickly as possible. Therefor the males from the egg producing side cannot be used for meat production as they dont grow fast enough to make a profit.

Buying free range eggs doesn't solve this problem as the males are still destroyed because they can't produce eggs.

Any more questiosn and i will try to answer them.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
That is really, really awful.
My parents keep chickens in their garden, and even though I'm a bit scared of them (few bad experiences with birds *shudders*) no animals should be treat like that.
Some people make me sick.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Ayana

When roosters attack? I know the feeling well... I cured one rabid rooster of his propensities for attacking by carrying an empty plastic gallon milk jug. Stupid rooster struck, hit the jug, bounced off, suffered whiplash (I hope)...and never ever tried that again...

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Well, like a buddy of mine said recently; when the economy crashes, all of these slaughterhouses, food processors, pharmaceutical companies, etc. will be out of business or not long after.

Mass starvation, war, and anarchy will follow unfortunately.

A mixed blessing at best.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TypeSH2001
Well, like a buddy of mine said recently; when the economy crashes, all of these slaughterhouses, food processors, pharmaceutical companies, etc. will be out of business or not long after.

Mass starvation, war, and anarchy will follow unfortunately.

A mixed blessing at best.

I refuse to starve. I will be forced to eat you humans.

I'm sure the texture won't be nice but I'll do it.

Better stay far away from South Africa when the world ends. When there are no more baby chicks to eat I WILL EAT YOU

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
This is so horrible and sad to say the first thing
that comes to my mind is "Chicken Nuggets" ?
So sad.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I only buy free range anyway,getting alot cheaper these days.Don't eat fast food that contains meat or ready meals.In any case a little chick being thrown in to a meat grinder is hardly going to cause it much pain...the thing will be dead in an instant.it does highlight that meat factories are becoming more like shoe factories etc and the distinction between animals and the meat is becoming very blurry.There was a documentary on a while ago in the uk where children didn't even know what animal it was they were eating because the product was frozen and in fancy shapes with a catchy brand name...scary stuff.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Egyptia
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Personally I would like to see a government that bans the eating of all animals. You would think in a 1st world nation that these atrocities would be hugely illegal. But they don't give a damn. So it's up to us to change things and force that change upon them.

i was going to reply with a nice 3 paragraph stating how not everyone can be a vegetarian, but decided against it. to each his own. im a carnivore

[edit on 3-9-2009 by ghostryder21]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Its a problem when the only concern is "as much as possible" concerning eggs, and "as fat as possible as quick as possible" concerning chicken for eating.

"Progress" is not always in the right direction. Sometimes its in the wrong direction. Progress in the food industry has been so totally in the wrong direction.

Cheap is no Excuse for the horrors taking place -- whether its cows, pigs, chickens or eggs. I for one, vote for a return to the old ways of small farms run by actual human beings who gave a # about the quality of what they produced and the quality of care their animals received.

At least until there's a better way.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Scientists are working on growing meat in a lab...which i think is inevitable.As long as it's healthy and tastes good i think that would be acceptable,no animals involved
Could produce the meat without any environmental impact of livestock,stop factory farming etc Actual livestock could probably be like you said more local again and not this gigantic behemoth our lust for meat has created.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

The lab meat is a great option so far as protecting animals goes; but I always am a skeptical whenever people say they've come up with something artificial thats better than the original. Time usually reveals it just ain't so. There is so much that could go wrong because we never foresee all the ramifications.

They should keep on working on this tho because it might just work; considering the meat would actually be real meat -- just not from a living animal.

Think taste. Factors like the environment the animal grows up in, the grass they eat vs the chemicals they are fed all affect the result. I wonder how they would mimic good organic conditions in a lab???

Probably can't.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing this to my attention... Pretty sad life for these birds...

If they don't end up in a blender, then end up in a fryer...

I think I remember seeing that guy from "Dirty Jobs" sorting chicks once...
I don't think they told him what happened to the chicks he was sorting, I wonder what he would think now...

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
For people that can, here‘s the solution.

For me?
I will not stop eating meat.
But, I will take the responsibility that comes with eating meat.

These are my *boys* from last year. I raise these babies from, well babies. A couple day old hatchlings.

They have a life, like you wouldn’t believe. Then comes the day, when they’re old enough and weighty enough, that we *go for a walk*.

And they never know what hit them. Of course I cry like a baby, but, it’s all a part of life, and, my respect for it.

I try not to throw away any part of the bird - even down to cooking innards, feet, heads, the *doodles* on top of the head, etc.
I don’t eat the head part but a neighbor of mine almost swoons every time I take her a plate of my *extras*.

So, here’s the boys.

In my opinion if more people could do this - they’d understand the *circle*. We raise them and love them and give them the best life we can - and then - they give back to us.

If you’re squeamish don’t go past the what - 4th pic?

I’ll put up a warning.

By the way, these boys are *Harry* and *Potter* (ok so I know I’m late but I just got to start reading the series...)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fe54468aed4d.jpg[/atsimg]
Potter

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8df8463e4b6b.jpg[/atsimg]
Harry

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2543133b9f03.jpg[/atsimg]
The Boys

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/56edeff75b80.jpg[/atsimg]
MOM!

~~~~ WARNING - GRAPHIC PHOTOS BELOW ~~~~

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3a9ffcf26dd2.jpg[/atsimg]

The boys *at rest*...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eb67633e7cfa.jpg[/atsimg]
Heads, feet, necks, *doodles* in a pan.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9a4bfaabd46e.jpg[/atsimg]

Yum - Says my next door neighbor

If people had the opportunity to be responsible, life would be different for all of us.

We just all don't have this option any longer.

peace

(Sorry, I've tried three times to fix it but BOLD is stuck on the last couple of lines - not intentional on my part, the /b is not working)...

[edit on 4-9-2009 by silo13]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
reply to post by wayno

Scientists are working on growing meat in a lab...which i think is inevitable.As long as it's healthy and tastes good i think that would be acceptable,no animals involved
Could produce the meat without any environmental impact of livestock,stop factory farming etc Actual livestock could probably be like you said more local again and not this gigantic behemoth our lust for meat has created.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Yikes that scares me and it reminds me of something that really
freaked me out when I was younger and still does........
Soylent Green. What next?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
You guys still talking about this?

This happens at every CAFO I've ever been to.
They are in the process of killing!

Why is this a shocker anyway?
Where the flip do you think your food comes from?

Grow up, face reality.
Life sucks then you die and are shredded by the machine.
Nice world eh? Oh, we must be so proud as a species.
And you wonder why I picked this name!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
How is switching to a diet of VEGAN much better? Companies and crop producers spray chemicals in order to force growth of the crop, kill millions of insects, pests, and rodents through chemical sprays. Not to mention the bad side effects of water drainage of all these chemicals and fertilizers. Tainted rivers and lakes. Gulf Coast dead zone due to phytoplankton decay. No fish can live in this area as it suffocates to death. Decaying phytoplankton eat up all oxygen and release carbon dioxide. No oxygen = no fish.

Every industry has it's cons. ***switching to high schooler mentality*** I say save a tree, eat meat! plants produce oxygen which we need, cows do not.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Here's food for thought:

Pain-free animals could take suffering out of farming

WITH "hormone-free", "cage-free" and "antibiotic-free" becoming common labels on our supermarket shelves, might "pain-free" be the next sticker slapped onto a rump roast?

As unlikely as that may seem, progress in neuroscience and genetics in recent years makes it a very real possibility. In fact, according to one philosopher, we have an ethical duty to consider the option.

"If we can't do away with factory farming, we should at least take steps to minimise the amount of suffering that is caused," says Adam Shriver, a philosopher at Washington University in St Louis, Missouri. In a provocative paper published this month, Shriver contends that genetically engineered pain-free animals are the most acceptable alternative (Neuroethics, DOI: 10.1007/s12152-009-9048-6). "I'm offering a solution where you could still eat meat but avoid animal suffering."

Cont...

Why does this seem so......spooky?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Why does this seem so......spooky?

I don't think your word sufficed.
Just about the worst possible solution I can think of. That would just bring cows one step closer to being the inanimate objects (of commerce) so many people already see them as.

Couldn't you just see them all bloody and bruised because without pain they had no way of knowing when they were injuring themselves against their cages!?
Some of these scientists need a dose of their own medicine.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Starred.

Excellent post.

Excellent ethics, people like you give me hope that not all of us are "lost souls".

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join