It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

male chicks are ground up alive at an egg factory

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Bravo for you! Such a noble and kind human thing to do.

Your story also gives me hope and lifted my spirits.

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by manta

That still doesn't make it right.

Nobody should be "ground up alive" nobody.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I also don't "do lobster".

Wrong wrong wrong.

If "what goes around comes around" is true we as a species are in deep doo doo.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

If a couple of male chicks are hatched and they are instantly ground up to be re-fed to our food, than I am ok with that.

Hm, wasn't that sort of thing what started mad Cows disease ?

If you are afraid of little chicks feelings being hurt by going into a meat grinder just remember that the little chicks death is most likely instant and suffering is kept to a microsecond of time.

I just tried very hard to imagine what it would fell like being put through a meat grinder, a microsecond seemed equally as horrific as a microhour.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
All those who have no problem with how these chicks meet their death, either have no empathy with another living creature, or a very high pain threshold.

The means does not always justify the ends.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Egyptia
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Personally I would like to see a government that bans the eating of all animals. You would think in a 1st world nation that these atrocities would be hugely illegal. But they don't give a damn. So it's up to us to change things and force that change upon them.

I do not think that animals should be tortured to death. However, I do not believe that meat eating should be banned. Some people need to eat meat for the protein.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

I do not think that animals should be tortured to death. However, I do not believe that meat eating should be banned. Some people need to eat meat for the protein.

I agree with you that meat eating should not be banned. But "some people need to eat meat for the protein". Everyone NEEDS protein. Everyone NEEDS amino acids to build protein. You can get those things from other sources. You don't NEED to eat meat to survive.

With that being said, I am vegan...but again, I don't believe meat eating should be banned.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

I agree with you that meat eating should not be banned. But "some people need to eat meat for the protein". Everyone NEEDS protein. Everyone NEEDS amino acids to build protein. You can get those things from other sources. You don't NEED to eat meat to survive.

With that being said, I am vegan...but again, I don't believe meat eating should be banned.

I have multiple autoimmune diseases and a lot of foods cause me to bleed internally if I eat them. One of the few things I can eat is chicken. I often crave vegetables, but if I eat too many of them I bleed. If I eat some fruits, my insides bleed. I have to eat chicken for protein. There aren't many foods safe for me to eat.

[edit on 9/4/2009 by Jessicamsa]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
There are other sources of protein ya know.

Some are better for you(no hormones,etc)and easier to digest than meat.

One-half cup of beans contains as much protein as 3 ounces of broiled steak. Plus, these nutritious nuggets are loaded with fiber to keep you feeling full for hours.

www.webmd.com...

It is very easy for a vegan diet to meet the recommendations for protein, as long as calorie intake is adequte...
Some Americans are obsessed with protein. Vegans are bombarded with questions about where they get their protein. Athletes used to eat thick steaks before competition because they thought it would improve their performance. Protein supplements are sold at health food stores. This concern about protein is misplaced. Although protein is certainly an essential nutrient which plays many key roles in the way our bodies function, we do not need huge quantities of it. In reality, we need small amounts of protein. Only one calorie out of every ten we take in needs to come from protein 1. Athletes do not need much more protein than the general public 2. Protein supplements are expensive, unnecessary, and even harmful for some people.

www.vrg.org...
Also on this page is a list of foods and their protein content.
Personally, I think sprouts are a great way to go!

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TypeSH2001
Well, like a buddy of mine said recently; when the economy crashes, all of these slaughterhouses, food processors, pharmaceutical companies, etc. will be out of business or not long after.

Mass starvation, war, and anarchy will follow unfortunately.

Well, your Buddy's a bundle of laughs!

The fact is that in some countries the drive for cheap food has led to its over-industrialisation. In some countries there are low animal welfare regulations and animal husbandry practice.

However, as sad as it may sound, the crushing of the chicks is probably a quick and efficient was to kill them. One minute you are alive and the next you are (er) dead. I imagine very little pain.

If people don't like this, then they don't need to turn veggie or vegan, they just need to work out where there food comes from and not buy stuff which is untraceable or from a source which can't be "trusted".

In other words - if you don't like what you see then make sure you don't support it by buying the produce. If you cannot trace it or it is not "farm assured" then don't buy it. Next time you are in a supermarket ask where the meat comes from and see what happens! Go and make friends with a local butcher because he should know where his meat comes from - if he is any good.

I think some western countries are fairly backward. I would cite the overuse of growth hormones in the US beef industry and the over-intensive US pork industry, compared to (say) the UK or most European nations.

In general, I would say that animals are treated poorly in most poor and developing countries. In advanced nations (of the west) animals are treated better but there is much work to do - look to your own country to drive improvement and stop buying crap food.

Regards

edit to add... A bit off topic, so let's not pursue this one, but how many of the people shocked by animal cruelty keep cats? The biggest slayer of wildlife bar none! Just a thought.

[edit on 5/9/2009 by paraphi]

[edit on 5/9/2009 by paraphi]

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ofhumandescent
reply to post by jd140

I also don't "do lobster".

Wrong wrong wrong.

If "what goes around comes around" is true we as a species are in deep doo doo.

Yeah we're probably all going to hell if there is such a place.

Or we're already there and taking part in it by the things we let happen.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: wayno
I agree completely with those who say grinding live chicks is disgusting. I can't help but wonder tho, what do they do with the ground up chicks?

My guess is that they somehow get incorporated into feed for other factory raised/produced animals that we in turn eat.

Another disgusting thought (practice?).

I would be willing to pay much more for meat if I knew it came from animals that had a quality life -- preferably one as close to their natural wild existence as possible. Ideally all meat would come only from animals caught in the wild.

It would be hard to get and expensive, but healthier and worth it in my opinion. So there would be less of it, but we don't need as much as we are accustomed to.

You can, it's available now...

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
all "Free Range" means is that the chicken has some access to go outside before it's murdered eventually or living a life of egg servitude. It's really not any better. Really.. I'd rather end up in the meat grinder before I knew what was happening.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

edit on 7962015xApriluWednesday08America/ChicagoWed, 08 Apr 2015 13:07:39 -0500 by BoxFulder because: Double post

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: BoxFulder
The fact is if human beings didn't eat chicken or cattle those species would be extinct. They are slow and unable to escape predators. Maybe as part of their evolutionary path they developed the ability to taste good because it was crucial to their survival. To the person who suggested eating animals should be illegal is completely out of their mind. Vegetarians are often more predisposed to disease, obesity, and nutrient deficiency. I agree something needs to be done about the treatment of these animals in the giant corporate slaughterhouses, but to project your belief of all vegetarian diet is why vegetarians are not really taken seriously as a social moment.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: BoxFulder

And plus, vegetarians really should feel bad about eating plants. How would they know that they don't feel? They are living things too aren't they? Just because they don't have a brain doesn't mean they don't HAVE A SOUL?!

So what does that mean? Vegetarians would have to starve to death if they actually practiced what they preached because to sustain them, SOMETHING on this planet needs to go in their bellies.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greenize
I have had chickens for years and haven't experienced any such behavior with mine.

But anyway... in a survival situation I would not hestitate to kill a chicken to feed my family. We fish and hunt to do the same, but to run any small and helpless animal alive through a grinder seems cruel to me.....
It happens mostly to confined crowded chickens. like in a small brooder or in coops. the solution is to isolate any chick with a cut. or use red light so that everything looks the same color. and of course more room also stops it or at least lets the victim get away.

you also have to watch for a condition called pasties. the chick can't eliminate waste and dies of impaction. all it takes to save them is wash the dried poop off their little butts, keep them warm until dry and perhaps electrolytes in their drinking water and if they are struggling to recover some antibiotic powder in the water as a last line of defense. but normally even the poor chicks at the farm store that have this condition can be saved. but no one at the stores wants to do it so they often die. I have told them how to do this several times. in fact every time i see it happening.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Topato

No one said life doesn't feed on life. I have no choice but to kill things to stay alive.

And if I care about not taking more life than is necessary for me to thrive, then I take far less life by eating plants than I do by eating animals.

So what's your point?

Souls dude? Sweet strawman.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
A logical consequence of your desire for lots of cheap food. If they were to kill the chicks in a 'humane' manner' the price of your food would at least double, if not quadruple. I am unable to watch the video, yahoo has either removed it or changed its url, but I can't imagine that the grinding process would be very slow, so at least the chicks are killed quickly.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: RetinoidReceptor

This should be illegal and considered animal abuse. Man is not judged by his actions towards equals but judged on his actions towards the weak and helpless.

Where do we draw the line in the sand........At what point is life valued........Are we better than this. The older I get the more empathy and compassion take hold. Is it wisdom or a softening of my heart and mind ? I wish these values would have found me much earlier in life. I was standing outside in a rain storm and noticed a worm drowning in a puddle and I had to save it......Ya I know it is a worm......But I could save it.......Life is precious.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join