It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thirteen Goals of a Witch

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mf_luder
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

Satan was actually a symbol of the fallen angel 'Lucifer' if I'm not mistaken. That's in the bible.

Isaiah 14 refers to Lucifer, who is not Satan. Apparently Lucifer was some sort of ruler at that time. Lucifer means light bearer. Satan is hardly a light bearer.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Again, that's not what I said. Maybe your reading comprehension skills aren't 100% on point.

The gods were created as "theories" for the different types of phenomena that humans experience, by way of oral tradition.

There's a difference between practicing your faith and advertising it on the Internet as like the next great hope for mankind. If OP felt that Christians were just fine being Christians, then there would be no need to use generalities to sway people towards Wicca, as if "the mainstream religions" had none of the redeeming qualities presented in the "Thirteen goals."

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
The Thirteen Goals of a Witch Are:

1. Know myself

2. Know my craft

3. Learn

4. Apply knowledge with wisdom

5. Achieve balance

6. Keep my words in good order

7. Keep my thoughts in good order

8. Celebrate life

9. Attune with the cycles of Earth

10. Breathe and eat correctly

11. Exercize the body

12. Meditate

13. Honor the Goddess and God

When I read this list for the very first time I was shocked at the common sense of it. I thought witches were, well...hollywood creations, fables, fairy tale creatures, evil hags, old women living in the woods or satan worshippers.

But this list is just plain good old advice for living a happy, productive, positive life. In trying to achieve these life goals, no one is judging me except me. I like that.

Is the fear and animosity toward witches a bi-product left-over from the inquisition and witch burnings? Or is the prejudice coming from established "mainstream" religions? Have the scare tactics that keep you from learning the true nature of witches worn thin yet?

As with all religions, interpretation is personal, therefore results may vary.

Nice thread this all sounds very logical.
Though why do we need witches though?
What's their use in modern society?

Also how would it be if you were an albino and were born in Tasmania and you found yourself at the receiving end of a witches practice, which after all all that was trying is to make her life better through his/her craft and also help other people live their lives?
In some societies advice by "medicine man/women" witches/mages include eating another human alive even to this day and age. That's what happens to you in modern Tasmania if it happens you are born an albino, which is a mutation of the genes and you have to have white skin and probably hair.

So why do we need witches and mages (magus, magii) in this day and age again?

[edit on 2-9-2009 by spacebot]

link   
reply to post by CoffinFeeder

Finally, the anti-Christians are coming out of the woodwork.

link   
I don't believe in a Goddess or God, so the dualism thing is really... like... HUH??? Really, the belief that there is a singular being or beings that rule all over the universe is very indulgent and narcissistic... to think that God will come help YOU, only YOU, when you are in a crisis!

If you want to know, the Christian church persecuted witches in Massachusetts and New England back in the 1600s because of their perceived links to Satanism (figures it's the Christian church that's gotta be the one to burn everyone else). This is because of, well, what YOU'RE saying now, dualism and all that. I never understood it, but I know the history behind it.

Also, Wicca tends to utilize figures of mythology in spells and invocations and stories... for example, Demeter in rituals praying for good crops and rain, Hera for safety of the family, etc. These goddesses, IMO, do not actually exist, but are EMBODIMENTS of all the qualities of all that we want, and by putting faith in them, we are willing them into reality.

(See my other authored threads to know what I mean.)

Christianity and some Christian-linked covens of Wicca would not accept that, because they want to see a GOD as a REAL figure, with actual flesh-and-blood, so to speak. Along with the notion that this God could actually be a WOMAN (religious sexism, lol, go figure), it was enough to make the Christian church believe witches were Satan's soldiers, and this belief lasted ALL the way to today, black hats and dresses and the like.

Anyone can be a witch. You don't have to wear a cross, etc. It's very easy to hide your beliefs, so the whole notion of black-hat-and-black-cauldron-with-broomstick is really a misconception to the max.

Btw, brooms were used to sweep away bad energy. If you used a corn (corn being the harvest crop) broom to sweep in a certain direction away from the sun, you're removing all negative energy from your home. This is a belief somewhat reflected as well in Chinese culture, where a broom cannot be used on Lunar New Year because sweeping it in the wrong direction will only invite bad energy and bad luck into the house.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by KarlG

What you said was fine and well, but I'm not sure why this belongs on a conspiracy forum.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

I would be obliged if you too could answer my question

Second line.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   

So - what you're actually saying is that the idea that the universe is under the constant struggle of good and evil is in itself 'evil'?

Seems that Christianity and the other main stream religions believe that.

But not witches..........

So.....

What's your point? Maybe you incorrectly used the word 'dualism'.

Not the struggle between good and evil - two irreducible elements. You've just misquoted your own citation.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Let's come up with the thirteen goals of a Christian:

1. Love thy neighbor.

2. Love thy enemy.

3. Do good to those who despitefully use you and persecute you.

4. Be a peacemaker.

5. Be meek and lowly of heart.

6. Be humble before thy God and with thy fellow man.

7. Give of yourself to the poor and needy, the widows, the fatherless, the orphans.

8. Pray always and be believing, keeping your faith strong until the end.

9. Occupy until I come.

10. Bless those who hate you.

11. Take no oaths, swear not at all, let no unclean thing come out of your mouth.

12. Keep your body holy and unspotted from the world. Keep yourself chaste.

13. Honor marriage, love children, and bring peace on Earth and good will to men.

Christianity is an outward blessing to the world. Wicca is an inward improvement of the self, selfish.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by vcwxvwligen
reply to post by KarlG

What you said was fine and well, but I'm not sure why this belongs on a conspiracy forum.

I have no idea either. Go to the O/P with that question... his O/P didn't have much to do with conspiracy either. I'm just trying to lay out the facts, and set things straight... Wicca and Witchcraft DO NOT have anything to do with Satan!

That is SATANISM. You know, Satan, Satanism, see the link?

Oh and btw, WRONG ideas here.

All Wiccans are witches. Not all witches are Wiccans.

THAT is the right relationship between the two.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I used the word "Satanic" to demonstrate that many people use concepts like Wicca as a way to oppose "the mainstream religions," rather than because of any sincere belief. By advertising it in a conspiracy site, you are basically attempting to sway people who have lost faith in Christianity.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

No, there is no connection in the Bible between Lucifer and Satan.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacebot

So why do we need witches and mages (magus, magii) in this day and age again?

[edit on 2-9-2009 by spacebot]

Erm. Why do we need Christians in this day and age? Why do we need Buddhists in this day and age? Heck, why do we need Hindus, Muslims, Jews in this day and age?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

reply to post by KarlG

This is not a conspiracy forum. It's the Psychology, Philosophy and Metaphysics forum.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott

Satan was actually a symbol of the fallen angel 'Lucifer' if I'm not mistaken. That's in the bible.

Isaiah 14 refers to Lucifer, who is not Satan. Apparently Lucifer was some sort of ruler at that time. Lucifer means light bearer. Satan is hardly a light bearer.

Some scholars claim that Lucifer was a symbol of a king of Babylon, but I believe that it's describing the planet Venus as it moves through the night sky.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by napayshni57

the reply to this mostly lies in the general mindset of 'don't think about it too much', which while many use it to pull the wool over their own eyes, it stands as good advice when used in moderation.

Where one would ask 'what if it takes away from someone more in need?', there are many answers that could present themselves as true if in fact you did manage to turn the gears of the universe slightly in your favor. Perhaps the one in greater need was yourself, maybe not. Maybe the other one found a different job, got hit by a bus or the hiring manager got the idea to check some references more deeply and found the others wanting. You don't know, but to ponder too much it is an invite to madness. You got the job, simply say thank you and carry on.

in correlation, show me a self proclaimed 'white witch' and i'll show you a master of self deception. Once you realize that purely unselfish acts are entirely selfish or a sign of a complete lack of self, you'll understand these things much better.

otherwise, you can end up like those in that odd sect that sweep the ground in front of them, since ending the life of even an ant is horrible. Conveniently, plants don't have a life, otherwise teh poor devils would have starved to death long ago.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I used the word "Satanic" to demonstrate that many people use concepts like Wicca as a way to oppose "the mainstream religions," rather than because of any sincere belief. By advertising it in a conspiracy site, you are basically attempting to sway people who have lost faith in Christianity.

The "mainstream" isn't correct all the time.

Wait a second, I heard that before... ON THIS SITE.

With all the people lambasting the "mainstream" media on this site, I'm surprised to see people would actually give credit to "mainstream religion". As we all know, mainstream media is much like mainstream religion - methods of control and scare tactics.

But of course, I won't comment on your religion further than that. Because I do not know your religion fully. Likewise, you should not comment with implications that I am trying to "sway people". I'm trying to sway NO ONE.

And as someone (Jim Scott) said above, apparently Wicca is all about the SELFISH goals, i.e. goals for ONESELF. So where does the swaying come in? We're not trying to influence the world and change EVERYONE as Christianity is. Witches, most of the time, mind their own business with regards to religion. Nature, themselves, and their coven. That's all there is to it.

You might say it's selfish, but hey, it circumvents all the problems and complaints of brainwashing and extremism and trying to FORCE beliefs onto others.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by KarlG]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

The same could be said of the plethora of Christian based threads. But here's a thought. Maybe the OP just found it interesting and wanted to share... And even if that was the goal, so what? Hardly a damn day goes by that I don't have some Christian here telling me I need to be saved! Or are only the Christians allowed to provide 'enlightenment'?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by KarlG
Christianity and some Christian-linked covens of Wicca would not accept that, because they want to see a GOD as a REAL figure, with actual flesh-and-blood, so to speak. Along with the notion that this God could actually be a WOMAN (religious sexism, lol, go figure),[snip]

Numbers 23:19 (New International Version)

19 God is not a man, ..

Christians do not believe that God is a man. He came to Earth in the form of man to help us understand, but He is obviously not a man. A man cannot create the universe in one or two days, or ever. It is a ridiculous notion that God is a man. It is a root belief of Mormonism: "As man is, God once was; as God is, man may become." Mormons make God a man, and man becoming a God, which is one of the reasons Mormons are not really Christians, even though they use terms that sound like Christian words. The stretch between man and God could not be larger or more infinite.

God is not a man or a woman, never was, never will be....

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Jim Scott]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by spacebot

Witchcraft has existed for thousands of years. There are families that pass witchcraft from generation to generation.

However, there are also people who don't know what religion to believe in. They have been burned by mainstream religion for one reason or another. They figure that the Creator must not be an old man in the sky, but something "real."

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join