It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thirteen Goals of a Witch

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The Thirteen Goals of a Witch Are:

1. Know myself

2. Know my craft

3. Learn

4. Apply knowledge with wisdom

5. Achieve balance

6. Keep my words in good order

7. Keep my thoughts in good order

8. Celebrate life

9. Attune with the cycles of Earth

10. Breathe and eat correctly

11. Exercize the body

12. Meditate

13. Honor the Goddess and God

When I read this list for the very first time I was shocked at the common sense of it. I thought witches were, well...hollywood creations, fables, fairy tale creatures, evil hags, old women living in the woods or satan worshippers.

But this list is just plain good old advice for living a happy, productive, positive life. In trying to achieve these life goals, no one is judging me except me. I like that.

Is the fear and animosity toward witches a bi-product left-over from the inquisition and witch burnings? Or is the prejudice coming from established "mainstream" religions? Have the scare tactics that keep you from learning the true nature of witches worn thin yet?

As with all religions, interpretation is personal, therefore results may vary.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'd say you can do all of that on your own, minus the witchcraft.

Peace

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Agreed.

But that is where I got the list. I wonder how many religions have a list of goals? I have no idea.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Thanks for that Hazelnut

I never knew about these '13 goals', very interesting.

I also thought exactly the same as you about how much common sense it made. Certainly wasn't what i was ecpecting, which of course is what you pointed out. Just goes to show how religion/history (inquisition and witch burnings) and Hollywood have deformed the image of witches.

This certainly makes me want to go and find out more about them.

Thanks again

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Blessed Be!

[edit on 1-9-2009 by PaulKCA]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Why minus the witchcraft, Dr Love? Witchcraft is a postive model when practised ethically and morally, just as Christianity is a postive model when practised the same way.

Is the fear and animosity toward witches a bi-product left-over from the inquisition and witch burnings? Or is the prejudice coming from established "mainstream" religions? Have the scare tactics that keep you from learning the true nature of witches worn thin yet?

I'm afraid I believe it's yes to the first two and no to the last Hazelnut.Thank you for a great thread, and list of rules which I can't fault, but we do still live in the dark ages on occasions!
There simply is not enough modern and enlightened understanding of the Craft out there yet.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I had never seen this list before, but it seems pretty accurate. Whenever I tell someone that I am a Wiccan, I get a variety of responses. Some roll their eyes and giggle. Some look at me like I want to sacrifice their child to Satan. There are a few who don't buy into the hype and ask me what that really means. Then there are even fewer who are familiar with what Wicca and Witchcraft really is. It's not like what you see in Hollywood, with examples like 'The Craft' or 'Charmed'. We simply see the Divine all around us in nature. Wiccans have been 'going green' long before 'going green' was cool. We believe in only one 'commandment', which is the primary line in The Wiccan Rede, 'And it harm none, do what ye will'.

I would also point out that while all Witches are Wiccan, not all Wiccans are Witches. One can follow the path of Wicca without practicing Majick. I myself, rarely practice Witchcraft. Only use it when all other avenues have been exhausted. One of the last times I did was just prior to hurricane Wilma. I cast a spell of protection over the house. Ours was the only house in the neighborhood to receive absolutely no damage.

Just something to think about this Halloween (*Samhain) when you see all the 'Witches' strung about.

* Samhain-

Samhain is one of the eight annual festivals, often referred to as 'Sabbats', observed as part of the Wiccan Wheel of the Year. It is considered by most Wiccans to be the most important of the four 'greater Sabbats'. It is generally observed on October 31st in the Northern Hemisphere, starting at sundown. Samhain is considered by some Wiccans as a time to celebrate the lives of those who have passed on, and it often involves paying respect to ancestors, family members, elders of the faith, friends, pets and other loved ones who have died. In some rituals the spirits of the departed are invited to attend the festivities. It is seen as a festival of darkness, which is balanced at the opposite point of the wheel by the spring festival of Beltane, which Wiccans celebrate as a festival of light and fertility.[16]
Source.

Harm None.
Jax

[edit on 1-9-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
well,this is disappointing. i expected to see my name on the list.

seriuosly though, do you ever worry if there is a God, who may not want
you to be involved in things he forbids. things besides those you have listed, you know what i mean ? like if you put me on the list, then your list
would be of fourteen, instead of that unlucky thirteen. i joke,but you know what i mean right? do you ever have doughts? very curious.snf

[edit on 1-9-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

All religions have goals. Religion by its nature has structure, structure is used to support or attain goals.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Wonderful!!! S + F'd

=)Namaste

Erik

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I was raised with no religion. I said Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep and God Is Great, God Is Good as a child. But I was never taken to church. I discovered God one day lying underneath the fog on an early california summer morning. I was 10. It was personal.

Then I had a negative "run-in" with JWs after studying the Bible with them during my teens and early 20's. I asked too many questions and irked too many souls and the repercussions were extreme.

From there I hated God, then I looked for him again in the Catholic church. No luck. I thought I found him in Budhism or maybe in Hinduism. I was getting closer but still could not feel him throughout my 30' and early 40's.

Then I found Wicca 2 years ago.

I'm still searching for my place but I believe I have found God and Goddess.

When I saw that list, I was floored. The more I learn, the more I want to learn. Slowly but surely, like a child learning to walk, I am gaining confidence. Maybe I'm still carrying around some of that old predjudice somewhere deep in my psyche. I just don't know. But I am willing to keep learning and discovering. That is what I think is important. At least for me.

I have a healthy respect for Wicca and Witchcraft. I know that when I'm smiling, people have no choice but to smile too. There is power (energy) there that when applied for the benefit of positive change, affects everything. I will not do anything until I am sure that I have self-control and wisdom. That is my "goal".

I have respect for people's beliefs no matter what they are. Some I find ridiculous but I always remember that we are all living out the repercussions of previous choices. It is our purpose in life. Each of us live our moments together yet we are entirely alone.

- - - - Rant off - - - -

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
Why minus the witchcraft, Dr Love?

Why not?

While I try not to push my beliefs off on anyone else, I think I would be remiss if I didn't at least say in so many words "leave that stuff alone". It's nothing personal.

Peace

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The thing is, OP, that you are right. "Witches" as we think of them are the things of movies and stories. Witchcraft is nothing more than a pagan belief structure.

And what did christians do with all the pagans? That's right, they killed them, or heathenized them. With "witches", the latter was far easier.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Triskaidekaphobia is not something that most Wiccans suffer from. I consider it a lucky number. As to 'what God has forbidden', we believe that the only forbidden thing is to cause harm to others, ourselves, or the world we live in (littering is a prime example), as stated in the Rede.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I would also point out that while all Witches are Wiccan, not all Wiccans are Witches.

With the utmost respect to you, I have to totally disagree with this. Wicca is a modern form of a traditional path, and many traditional witches, myself included, would never refer to themselves as Wiccan. Spell casting and ritual work can reside in both practises, and are not exclusive to either.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
The thing is, OP, that you are right. "Witches" as we think of them are the things of movies and stories. Witchcraft is nothing more than a pagan belief structure.

And what did christians do with all the pagans? That's right, they killed them, or heathenized them. With "witches", the latter was far easier.

What did the pagans (Romans) do to other pagans (Druids, Egyptians, Greeks)?

What did the Druids do to the Goths?

What did the Vikings do to the Saxons?

What did the Chinese Taoists do to the Buddhists?

What did the Muslims do to Christians?

What did the Jews do to Muslims?

It isn't "the Christians" that did anything. It is people doing horrific things to each other and using a religion as an excuse. If the people doing the deed truly were Christians they would be pacifists. They weren't.

People use political ideology, philosophical ideology, religion, etc to make excuses for their actions, which as history tells us, is always about seizing property, resources, and securing power.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by A Fortiori

Of the religions I'm familiar with personally, the goals are not usually geared toward self-development, nor are they self-empowering. I would be delighted to know of some that are though. There is a lot I don't know.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I would also point out that while all Witches are Wiccan, not all Wiccans are Witches.

With the utmost respect to you, I have to totally disagree with this. Wicca is a modern form of a traditional path, and many traditional witches, myself included, would never refer to themselves as Wiccan. Spell casting and ritual work can reside in both practises, and are not exclusive to either.

I have to agree with you here. I'm not a Wiccan. I'm not a Witch. But if I gave myself a title, it would be witch.
A Green Witch
We're politically correct now.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by A Fortiori

All religions have goals. Religion by its nature has structure, structure is used to support or attain goals.

And that is where Wicca differs from the others. We have absolutely no structure. While some like-minded Wiccans form Covens, most of us are solitary practitioners. Some believe in reincarnation, some don't. Some practice Majick, some don't. Some hold rituals during the Sabbats and the Esbats, some don't. About the only thing we all agree on is that the Divine exists, that it exists in Nature and the directive to 'Harm none'.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by A Fortiori

What did the pagans (Romans) do to other pagans (Druids, Egyptians, Greeks)?

What did the Druids do to the Goths?

What did the Vikings do to the Saxons?

What did the Chinese Taoists do to the Buddhists?

What did the Muslims do to Christians?

What did the Jews do to Muslims?

It isn't "the Christians" that did anything. It is people doing horrific things to each other and using a religion as an excuse. If the people doing the deed truly were Christians they would be pacifists. They weren't.

People use political ideology, philosophical ideology, religion, etc to make excuses for their actions, which as history tells us, is always about seizing property, resources, and securing power.

Your last paragraph is exactly my point. The Christians were seizing power at this point in time. The pagans were the LARGEST threat to that.

You cannot honestly be arguing that Christians did not destroy pagans by the millions. If you are, you need to do a bit of research.

Why is it that EVERY major christian holiday coincides perfectly with pagan traditions? Why is it that easter, a christian holiday celebrating christ, uses rabbits as its symbols(a pagan symbol of fertility).

Christians DESPERATELY needed to get the pagans religions out of the way. And they did.

This is just silly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join