It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

rawstory.com

For some folks in Texas, the prospect of a universal health care scheme isn't just cause for protest and debate -- it's reason enough to secede from the United States altogether.

Some 200 people rallied at the State Capitol in Austin on Saturday, a small but vocal crowd that set itself in opposition to pro-health care reform protesters.

Larry Kilgore, a Christian activist that the Texas Observer says has advocated execution for homosexuals, "drew some murmurs of disapproval" when he told the crowd: “I hate that flag up there. ... I hate the United States government. … They’re a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
As a native Texan, I feel that I can safely address this issue.
Has anyone actually thought about what would happen if Texas seceded? No military bases! No federal jobs! No federal money. Limited travel to rest of the states. Communication breakdown. If Texas were to secede, should the rest of the country place restrictions on Texans like we do Mexicans?

Knee jerk reactions and emotional solutions need to be carefully considered. Rev. Kilgore sounds like a fool.

rawstory.com

[edit on 31-8-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I recall the words of the Texas governor who commented that secession might be possible - even though he would not be the vox populi.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Honestly logistics aside they should have every right to secede if they don't like the way things are going, otherwise they are just suffering under a system they no longer find suitable to their needs and wants. Its kind of screwed up to tell a state "your opinion doesn't count, now sit down, shut up and just take it"

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

As a native Texan, I feel that I can safely address this issue.
Has anyone actually thought about what would happen if Texas seceded? No military bases! No federal jobs! No federal money. Limited travel to rest of the states. Communication breakdown. If Texas were to secede, should the rest of the country place restrictions on Texans like we do Mexicans?

Knee jerk reactions and emotional solutions need to be carefully considered. Rev. Kilgore sounds like a fool.

rawstory.com

[edit on 31-8-2009 by whaaa]

"I hate the flag up there" I follow the constitution and gawd bless Amerika!

This is the place I will be moving to soon, hopefully the "Rev" does not reside in Austin?

But if Texas made Whaaa there must be something to the place IMO.

Anyhow this guy sounds like a spoiled brat, I'll make sure to parcel him a pacifier and diapers to counter any future tantrums or calls to nuke the other 49.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Absolutly, leave it up to a popular vote. Most Texans defy the popular stereotype as a gunslinging, macho, killem all let God sortem out, persona.

Most Texans are level headed, hard working, salt of the Earth kind of folks and also Realists. Most want nothing to do with the kind of hatred that Rev. Kilgore promotes, And would not support a secessionist movement.

link   
Those are bold statements coming from Texas. If they secede, which I dont think will ever happen, it will be the start of something big.

Lets just hope it goes well. Texas would have to become its own nation.

Then I wonder if the US will invade and conquer?!

link   

Originally posted by whaaa
If Texas were to secede, should the rest of the country place restrictions on Texans like we do Mexicans?

Absolutely.

Either you are a part of the country, or you are not. You may be a little attached, like, contiguously, but you'd be no different from Mexicans at that point. You're on your own. And without the USA backing you, have fun dealing with the drug cartels and their terrible violence, they won't hold back on you whatsoever with nobody protecting you from them. You're fresh meat for the wolves.

I really wish people could stop getting so riled up, but unfortunately this thing seems to be building, not subsiding. I hope Texas doesn't secede from the USA.

But if you do, don't worry, we'll build a fence to keep you out.

Edit: After I reread this, it seems to be kind of mean, but I just want to express that I didn't write it in that context nor do I mean it to sound harsh. It's just difficult to convey through text my emotions. It may sound like I am trying to be a jerk but I promise I am not. And the fence thing was just a joke. Anyway, I just don't want anyone getting the idea I am trying to attack them. I'm not.

[edit on 31-8-2009 by BaronVonGodzilla]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Larry Kilgore should be avoided like the plague. I think he is a government spook. He is trying to set bumpkins up for jail time while discrediting any state rights movements.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I've read the story over the weekend twice just to make sure I vented my thoughts in the right direction. It's clear that tis Rev is a fool and any sheep that follow this shepard will probably be shot not only with Vaccines but with a bullet for their ignorant extreme ideas.

Now on the right to secsede, I agree that any State that tries to successfully secede will be restricted by the GOV but I also believe that if enough States get on board it wouldn't be as dificult and those State would be probably a better place to live.

This Rev gives our fight a bad name!

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Link doesn't seem to open for me

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I wish i lived in texas, because i dont no part in this universal healthcare either. In a few months i might just move there.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
too late!
america has already been taken over by tens of millions of illegal hispanic visitors who will be staying so america is now just another mexico,columbia,puerto rico,etc.
naturally the national mongrelized genetics shall see a major decline in national iq and rise in crime and violence.
america- just another corrupt bankrupt third world banana republic in the americas?
say it aint so!
gerald celente is right and america will be a looting rioting undeveloped country by 2010 but it will probably be sooner.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Really there's nothing wrong with the 'threat' of sucession
Can be used to keep govt. in check
And it's how it was founded

What the issue is.. is people who don't know history or aren't very smart.

But the dude in the article advocated the death of homosexuals, but that's just a dumb messenger

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This is inevitable in the United States. The US government has become way too powerful and invasive and there is no way the government can expect to control a country so big and vast like that of the US. If the Federal government was smart they'd cede much more power to state and local governments or they risk losing their power altogether. This has happened to countries all over the world. Empires have broken up. The most recent being the USSR. Why do we as Americans think we are immune to this?

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

I think the US might just let them do it. Forcing them to survive on their own will probably teach them a lesson rather than forcing them to come back.

If they can do it and survive? Great.

If they can't then they come back on their knees begging to be back in.

Seems like a win win.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Ever hear of the boy who cried wolf though.. Not that the gubment, is taking this clown seriously. But you say I'm gonna secede long enough , no one will listen when you actually mean it.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
First, the article is doing it's best to make it look like all texas secessionists are terrorists, anti-american, extremists right-wing crazies.

Not a big surprise.

Since the federal government was founded by the states, and that the federal government has been bent on destroying everything the constitution stood for... IMO any state wishing to seceed have had the right to do so since 2003 at least...at least the moral right, they always had the constitutional right...

But another problem is that the governor is a bought and paid for Bilderberger piece of garbage traitor, Perry. So if he does seceed, it was planned by Bilderberg to either give even more powers to the FEDs or start a civil war.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This rally, according to the article, was attended by only 200 people. You don't see many people around the podium. That's hardly a representative cross-section of the whole state.

Before people start thinking all Texans are like this, note that this secessionist gathering was in response to a much larger crowd calling for health insurance reform.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I live in Texas. Im kinda on the fence about the whole secession. I think that Texas would be one of the few states that could pull it off though.

Texas is a big state with every type of landscape, so growing crops and such would not be very difficult....Also we have a port for inport/export. We have military bases, also a few decomissioned missle silos, that im sure, can be fixed up so we can have our own ICBMs. Plus, NASA's control center is in Houston. If Texas did seperate from the union that would be a huge bargining tool. I mean Im sure that was not a cheap place to build.

Wether or not Texas will split I have no idea.... If there is a vote for it I will surly place mine.

Texas would be a much different place if it was not apart of the Union. A poster commented about the trouble we would get into if we left the Union due to the Drug Cartels. I dont think it will think it will be that big of a deal. Texas gov't deals with them everyday. Now, granted, it is with the use of the US gov't but weather they are union owned guns or texas owned gun they both shoot bullets.

Just my $.02

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join